No announcement yet.

Turning Primal in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a starter kit from the happy kombucha website - essentially the grains, a plastic sieve and a jar. I'm sure I could've got it cheaper but couldn't really be bothered to buy the separate elements ha. It smells a bit sour and tastes it too, think it'll prob get a bit worse but it's not meant to be like curdled milk... If I use it in smoothies then I'll cover up the taste anyway! I'm just happy to find something that might increase my calcium intake other than these horrible sweet chalky calcium supplement tablets the Dr has given me (I have premature osteoporosis)!

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the osteoporosis! Are you OK with digesting cheese? Emmental and Jarlsberg have the added benefit of vitamin K2, also good for bones. And my favourite convenience food, sardines, also comes up trumps on the WH foods list.
      Well and happy - Journalling a primal life in London

Comment

• Yeah I enjoy cheese and yoghurt every so often, I'm not a massive milk drinker because of lactose intolerance in my teens, hence why I'm trying the kefir - apparently it's good for people with lactose intolerance?? Emmental is yum! Not sure I've ever had Jarlsberg, I usually have meat/fish/eggs as my protein source so never really think about buying cheese.

Anyway, I had a proper glass of the kefir today! Rather than just a sip to see whether it was ready or over done. Let it brew for 12 hours yesterday, didn't smell as bad as before but had clearly thickened, so then put it in the fridge over night, and blended it with a banana and spoon of honey this morning - it was good! Definitely needs to be drunk when cold, otherwise it really makes me feel like I'm forcing warm out of date milk down my throat. I ran out of whole milk though so today's batch is half cow's half almond milk, will see what happens with it, might take a bit longer to settle.

Comment

• Looks like kefir may be good for vitamin K2 as well although I'm finding it hard to get a definitive answer from the internet on this.

Comment

• Kefir today was not as good as yesterday, it was thinner with the almond milk but also a bit more sour - mixed it with blueberries and a bit of honey today, think banana works better. I've carried on with half & half for the next batch since I want to cut out dairy, might just take the grains a bit of time to get used to a different type of milk, apparently you should switch them over by doing half & half for a few days first.

This morning I had my consultation with an Ayurvedic practitioner, it was good! She's going to send me a plan for the next month, including diet recommendations and some herbs I need to take in supplement form. I think the main thing is to make lunch my main meal, since I keep falling down and going after sugar in the afternoon I'm clearly not eating enough at lunch to sustain me. I need to think about adding more (gluten free) grains in earlier in the day to keep my energy levels more consistent. It's funny actually because I used to eat a smaller breakfast (just 2 eggs rather than eggs bacon etc) so it kinda make sense that as my breakfast has got bigger perhaps my lunch has got smaller, and actually I need to boost from lunch to get through the afternoon. She also talked about eating 'warm', so less raw food (buh bye lunchtime salads argh!) and more roasted veg etc. I also need to try and work some more yoga-esque stretching into my daily routine; so if I get up at 6.30am to do half an hour resistance/body weight/cardio stuff, I should end the day with 15-30mins stretching, and I also need to get it in my head that both of those count as exercise, even though they're not hour long blocks of being out of breath. Will be really interesting to see what happens over the next month, but I feel quite inspired. Balance/stability is key and hopefully I will conquer this sugar binge thing.

Comment

• Re: cooked salad, do try the Ottolenghi butternut squash one here ... Delicious! The carrot one at the same link also looks good.

Comment

• I've been a bit ill over the last week. So so so much stress at work the last 3 weeks pretty much led to total burn out, I actually cried in the toilets! Not because I was unhappy, just one of those reactions you know?! So I took a sick day on Weds and have been cooking up lots of food to have stores of nice things in the freezer, and am going to chill out this weekend, just see some friends for a quiet drink later and do some exercise tomorrow. Sleep and digestion hasn't been good, and I've broken out all over my face which is just horrible, especially considering I'm near the end of my antibiotics, highly frustrating. I've received my Ayurvedic herbs now so am taking those after breakfast, while trying to stick to the principles of warm/cooked food, warm drink, no gluten/dairy/refined sugar. It's been a bit crazy recently and I'm just exhausted by it all so hopefully focusing on my diet in this way will help balance things out again.

Comment

• Hugs, Liv! Sorry to hear you've had such a stressful time! I know what you mean. I remember crying at uni before giving a presentation just from being stressed and tired. Are things easing off now at work?

Hope you managed to have a relaxing weekend and re-charge. Is your next holiday coming up soon?

Comment

• Hello!

Yes work's been a LOT better this week, my to do list is looking nice and calm ha. Except it makes me feel like I've gone back 3 steps and am not progressing when I'm not that busy... hmm. Keep thinking about what I'd rather do than advertising, I really want to set up a bar (pretty difficult, would need a partner to invest!), and I'm considering doing a nutrition course (someone told me you can do a qualification in a year) or maybe psychology or maybe teaching... Need to keep mulling it over, but definitely can't afford to earn less so it's tough.

Diet/exercise-wise things have been good. Have been eating a bit of chocolate this week, but mainly eating lovely home cooked meals that I've heated up at work rather than salads and cold stuff, and it definitely makes me feel like I'm taking care of my body when I fill it with a warm meal. Have fitted in a couple of runs, and gone back to doing 5 mins of squats/planks/press ups in the morning (skipped on my roof terrace today too!). Started reading Pukka Life which is all about Ayurveda, so I can get more of an understanding of my Pitta-Vata constitution etc, it's really interesting and makes so much sense. Would like to work on the snacking issue a bit more, but am thinking that the best routine for me is probably to eat 4 meals a day. I get so hungry around 11.30/12 and then in the afternoon again that I think I might do two small lunches, at 12 and at 3, and this will probably keep me away from the treats that colleagues keep buying.

Think that's about it at the mo! Next holiday is next weekend, I'm going to spend 4 nights with one of my best friends in Berlin (he's been there all summer for his German Lit phd), it's going to be pretty chilled with maybe 1 night of partying, can't wait. And then India is just 7 short weeks away!!! Ah I actually need to start researching!

Comment

Working...
                    X