No announcement yet.

Turning Primal in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Thursday! Woohoo long weekend is nearly here!!

Think I've done something to my back when I was squatting the other eve, exacerbated a bit by yoga last night hmm gonna try and get out for a run this weekend and will take a bath to soothe it hopefully.

B - two eggs, two bacon, green tea

Comment

• Turning Primal in the UK

Right. I've been gone for a week and need to get back on it. Not that I was doing badly when I wasn't journalling, I've actually had a great week. Just need to keep track of my food because I have too many excuses.

B - two eggs, two bacon, herbal tea
      S - fig, 10 almonds, 1 strawberry
      L - salmon salad (lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato, beetroot, avocado, olive oil & balsamic)
      S - raspberry herbal tea
      S - banana, handful of raw cashews
      D - packet of ham on the way home from yoga, roast chicken breast, olives, mixed bean salad
      Last edited by Livlytique; 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Morning everyone

There's a Tube strike in London today and tomorrow (and next week too!) so I bit the bullet and did the 9 mile cycle into work. Wowee! It was fun, not sure I can do that more than once a week because it is pretty damn knackering, not quite sure how I'll get home tonight and do it all again tomorrow! But then that was the first proper cycle in a couple of months so I reckon if I try and do it once a week my fitness/strength will pick up again. Good balance with my yoga class once a week, and a run once a week.... bikini body here I come??

Gonna be starving all day now I bet you

B - black coffee, two boiled eggs, 3 slices ham, natural yoghurt with a bit of fruit compote and sprinkle of granola
        S - satsuma, black coffee, handful raw cashews
        L - baked salmon, salad (lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato, beetroot, avocado, olive oil, balsamic)
        S - raw cashews - god i feel like all i've done is eat today!
        D - roast chicken leg, brown rice, mixed bean salad, olives and some feta
        Last edited by Livlytique; 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Second day of the tube strike and cocky old me tried to take a shortcut on my cycle... ended up adding about 2-3 miles obviously :| so I've cycled about a half marathon this morning! Feeling rather tired I must say....

B - two eggs, two slices ham, nat yoghurt with bit of granola & fruit compote, 2 black coffees (ha)
          S - 6 strawberries
          L - roast chicken leg & wing with salad (lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato, beetroot, avocado, french dressing)

S - banana, 8 almonds
          D - pork steak with salad (lettuce, carrot, pepper, spring onion, tomato, honey & mustard dressing), olives, 2 slices GF bread with peanut butter - yeah, I know, I ate a LOT again
          Last edited by Livlytique; 04-30-2014, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Hehe, I can tell you I don't mind not having to worry about the once/twice a year tube strike anymore. Living and working in Watford means I'm now running to work in the mornings...I say running, it's a stop/start affair at the moment, as I'm too unfit to do the 3.5 mile route without needing take some breathers. Plus I don't want to be completely wrecked for the day, baby steps and all that. I then bus home and go for a walk with the dog in the park for an hour and we do a training session in the middle of it. Coming from literally doing nothing to this every day, I feel quite good so far, if not a little bit sore as I remind my muscles how they're suppose to be used. My short-term goal at the moment is to not look so much like a pudding, come my wedding in December.

I think I would find it much harder if I was back at my old work in Holborn as there were some great characters there, but they did like to have quite extravagant lunches and I know I'd crack under the pressure to have a pint and some greasy food from time to time. I definitely lack the willpower not to join in, as it were.

Anyway, Liv it sounds like you're doing great and having a great adventure. We're living at a much slower pace up my neck of the woods I think. We just started getting in organic and local farm produce and it's great and surprisingly the same, if not only slightly more expensive than the supermarket and they deliver. It's been great and my partner is enjoying not having to do a weekly supermarket shop until we need to stock up on household or toiletries.

I definitely need to get into more active hobbies, I don't play any sports anymore, but I also find it quite hard to approach people which makes joining a local team or club quite challenging. I'm a small chap and I think maybe some of it stems from thinking that I'd be no good against the bigger lads. I was a painfully shy youth which is also another reason I suppose. I walk the dog up by our local cricket club and I love cricket, but just can't bring myself to stop and talk to someone. I also seem to tell myself that I've missed the boat to try something new at 28. O dear.

Sorry, I feel like I'm hijacking your journal here. I wanted to ask where you source your teas from? I'm looking for a nice green tea and I'd also like to try white tea too.
            Last edited by lengle; 04-30-2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Heh, am so glad am placed on a project in Stockholm, missed the last and this strike, what are they striking about this time? Sheesh!!

Comment

• Haha, Hotmail, I have no idea, such a joke. Can't believe they're planning on doing a 72 hour strike next week! Though I must thank TFL for forcing me back on my bike!

Hi lengle, thanks for your message! That's an awesome routine you've got, I wish I was still close enough to work to cycle in every day or walk home in the summer. But can't complain, I have the Olympic Park on my doorstep and have been going around it/the canals every weekend which makes me feel pretty at one with the world! How long have you been Paleo for? Good to hear from other people in/around London! Work is indeed the worst place for temptation, though all the girls on my pod are pretty healthy/know that I'm GF so don't wave stuff under my nose, plus the girl I sit next to is getting married in a month or so, so has been doing some Dukan-style diet and I said I would give her support (ie telling her that Diet Coke might not have calories but is still shockingly shit and will ruin any progress she's made ha). You're only 28??? Get out there and talk to that person playing cricket, no excuses, what's the worst that can happen, they say no? God forbid!

To be honest the teas I drink at the mo are the ones they stock at work so usually Twinings. You can always get fab loose tea leaves at Fortnum & Mason if you want to treat yourself

Comment

• Lucky I'm not having to ride in today, it's pouring!

B - two fried eggs, two bacon, black coffee - why does everything in my frying pan start to burn? someone tell me how to avoid this please! It's non-stick but I put a bit of oil in... should I wait till it's hot to add the oil, or am I heating it too much (electric cooker)???

S - natural yoghurt with some fruit compote

L - tuna salad (lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato, avocado, beetroot, olive oil & balsamic), mint tea

S - glass of prosecco with my client.... heh

D - olives, glass of red wine, mozzarella and tomato, pan fried calves liver with spinach, roast new potatoes and zuccini fritti, gin and tonic, gin/elderflower/apple juice cocktail
                  Last edited by Livlytique; 05-02-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• go on......

Comment

Friday! thank god

B - two slices bacon & scrambled egg from the canteen (ie maybe not cooked as healthily as mine!), black coffee

L - sushi (not the healthiest ) with some steak & black cod, edamame... glass of wine...

3 mile run

D - red wine and far too much Indian takeaway, feel sick!
                      Last edited by Livlytique; 05-02-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Hi Liv, oh yes, work in LONDON is the worst temptation, here in Stockholm, they don't have the culture of foods at their desks, they have common rooms where some poeple can leave treats, also there are boxes of fruit in the common areas, but not around the desks, so temptation is out of site, must admit, also because everyone here is so laid back, one doesn't get too stressed... in London, I'd get annoyed with some arsehole at least 2 or 3 times a day, and end up either comfort eating, or running to get a diet coke!!

Sadly my project here will come to an end by end of June

Have a good day !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Livlytique View Post
                          why does everything in my frying pan start to burn? someone tell me how to avoid this please! It's non-stick but I put a bit of oil in... should I wait till it's hot to add the oil, or am I heating it too much (electric cooker)???
                          It sounds like you're definitely running things too hot, or for too long.

- What oil are you using?
                          - How long are you cooking things for?

I cook eggs or bacon in butter at the moment. With eggs I allow the butter to get nice and hot and spitting before cracking my eggs in. Then I use the spatula to splash the butter onto the top of the egg as it cooks to aid all round cooking. I cook eggs for only a few minutes until I'm happy as I like a runny yoke. Bacon, I'm less disciplined and throw them in and wait until they're a little bit crispy because that's how I like it. I don't really eat bacon all that much though, maybe some weekends when it's been delivered. The best way to do the lot is to cook the bacon first and then as you take them out of the pan, crack the eggs in so they cook in the bacon fat and are extra tasty *drools a bit*

Comment

• Mate get yourself a nice high qualty frying pan, I have one which is amazing bought from the BBC good food show, I can even fry with no oil at all !! and just wipe it clean, nothing sticks... amazing!! will try to get you the make of it.

Comment

• someone posted a trick on frying eggs, heat the pan/fat, crack the eggs, you need a lid, add a very small amount of water like a table spoon to the pan, and cover immediately, the steam from the added water will cook up the eggs, and you'd have a perfect sunny side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Livlytique View Post
                                Hi lengle, thanks for your message! That's an awesome routine you've got, I wish I was still close enough to work to cycle in every day or walk home in the summer. But can't complain, I have the Olympic Park on my doorstep and have been going around it/the canals every weekend which makes me feel pretty at one with the world! How long have you been Paleo for? Good to hear from other people in/around London! Work is indeed the worst place for temptation, though all the girls on my pod are pretty healthy/know that I'm GF so don't wave stuff under my nose, plus the girl I sit next to is getting married in a month or so, so has been doing some Dukan-style diet and I said I would give her support (ie telling her that Diet Coke might not have calories but is still shockingly shit and will ruin any progress she's made ha). You're only 28??? Get out there and talk to that person playing cricket, no excuses, what's the worst that can happen, they say no? God forbid!

To be honest the teas I drink at the mo are the ones they stock at work so usually Twinings. You can always get fab loose tea leaves at Fortnum & Mason if you want to treat yourself
                                Cool thanks, I did think Fortnums might be a good shout with regards to tea, I'l certainly l have to give it a looking.

I've only been Paleo for...well like 2 weeks now . I mean, I've been trying to sort myself out for months and months and months, but it is only recently that I've put my foot down on getting out dietary habits in check. I probably wouldn't even call myself paleo as such yet, more working towards a paleo way of life and trying to overcome the hurdles of transition. Possibly one of my greatest hurdles is my other-half. She has to cook up contemporary dishes and experiment with baking cakes etc. for her work, so we always have something not very Primal in the house, tempting me with it's sweet aroma.

I'm going to try and get down to watch the cricket this weekend, I'll take the dog so I don't look a bit stalkery. There is also a team at my partner's work, so I might be getting involved there if I can get over the awkward initial meet and greet.

Comment

Working...
                                X