No announcement yet.

Primal Journal Huarache Gal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 Feb 14: Still on the wagon here. I got on the scale this morning, 143.6, which is one pound down from the end of January. I'm happy about it. My clothes fit normally now and I feel good. I doubt I'll see much downward movement on the scale from here on. I've been slowly ramping up my running, getting ready for a half marathon in April. I think its time to make some different dishes and vegetables though. I'm thinking a roast in the crock pot for tomorrow with carrots and potatoes. I need to venture out and try some new recipes. I'm seem to get in a rut with food, but at least it keeps me on track.

The running is going well. Still doing uphill sprints on Mondays. They're tough but I feel like I accomplished something when I'm done. This weekend's long run is 7 miles.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

8 Mar 14: pre-run fuel: decided to try eggs before my run. Had 3 fried eggs about 30-45 minutes prior to heading out. Didn't really notice any difference during the run, but I didn't feel hungry at all. Got 8 miles and felt pretty good throughout. Took some water along, for my 4-legged running buddy more than for me. It went well overall.

Comment

Lake Lowell HM Report (4/13)

Race morning brought cool temperatures (about 40f) and wind. And I don't mean a little breeze but kick your butt wind. Yuck. I agonized over what to wear for two days prior to the race. I finally decided on my kilt (with shorts under), long-sleeved tech shirt with short-sleeved over top, ear band, ball cap and gloves. Turns out I chose just right. I brought toe socks in case I wanted them, but it turns out I brought two right footed socks. So, no socks. It worked out just fine without but it would have been nice to have them going back and forth to the registration area and bathrooms. For my breakfast/pre-run, I had 2.5 hard boiled eggs. I just couldn't eat the last half an egg. I had this about 45 minutes prior to starting, which has been my practice in training.

We started right on time at 0900. I played tag with quite a few folks doing walk intervals for the first few miles. I was surprised some of these folks were doing a 3 minute run one minute walk interval. One lady passed me and commented on my sandals saying she was impressed. It made me smile.

This is an out and back course that started downhill. It was all on roads with traffic whizzing by. There were some pretty good hills, but the ascents were gradual so they weren't bad. Most of the run was through the country with many farms adjacent to the road. I think I only saw the lake about three times.

When I was almost to the halfway (turnaround), I was running with a young gal and a we saw a young girl about 10 that had already made the turnaround. I commented that I hated it when little kids kicked my butt. Actually, I love seeing the kids out there but was surprised one so young was doing the HM. I ran past the turnaround to the porta potty, only to find it occupied. Oh well. It was good not to have a headwind anymore.

From miles 7 to 9, I ran with the same young gal. It turns out this was her first HM and she was my daughter's age. We had a nice chat. I lost her at a water stop as I carry my own. Too bad, I enjoyed chatting with her. I took some organic baby food (sweet potato/apple) at this point. It tasted really good. I finally got an unoccupied porta potty at mile 10.

Cruised along pretty well until mile 12 or so. The last mile is so long sometimes. I wasn't slogging it out or anything, just ready to be done. Got to the uphill for the finish and could have passed another lady but held back in the chute. I not a racer and a few seconds wouldn't have changed anything for me. I just felt like it would have been bad form to pass at the last second in a race neither of us would win or lose. This was a good run for me. I felt strong throughout.

The finish area had hot dogs, chips and pretzels to eat, water and powerade in big coolers and about two cases of beer that wasn't in a cooler. I thought it was strange that there was no bottled water to be found. So I mowed down a couple of hot dogs without buns, had some water, finished the baby food and hit the road to come home. You actually drive on the course for a couple of miles when leaving the finish.

I don't think I'd do this run again. I wasn't crazy about the course, finish area food or the shirt. But it was a good run. I'll probably do the Famous Potato HM next on May 17.

Last edited by Huarache Gal; 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

25 Apr 14: I gave in to a binge yesterday. To be honest, I could feel it coming on. My hormones have been like a roller coaster ride lately so it wasn't totally surprising. I feel like I have it out of my system now though. I'll clean things up and get back on track. The last time I did this was December, so every four months or so isn't completely devastating. I'll stay away from the candy and ice cream now. Its strange that it almost feels like a relief that it happened and its over.

Comment

9 May 14: Got into binge mode again on Wednesday (7 May). Definitely hormone related. I ate well yesterday and feel like I'm back on track again.

This morning, I went for a run with my dog. It was raining. About 3.5 miles in I tripped on the edge of the pavement and went down. I scraped my hand and landed pretty hard on my right knee. I paused for a minute, said a few bad words and kept going. My knee is scraped a little and a little swollen, but just minor stuff. I'm glad it wasn't any worse as I have a half marathon next weekend. I also ended up with a pretty good blister on my left foot. I guess that's what I get for running in the rain in my Luna sandals. Oh well, no big deal.

Comment

Famous Potato Half Marathon Race Report (17 May 14):

This race starts at 0700 and you have to catch a bus to the start as its a point to point race. I left my house about 0440. I got to the parking area about 0530 or so. Get out of my car and hear someone yelling my name. Cool, I have some running buddies to ride the bus with. Get to the race start and its chilly. Fortunately, I brought a jacket and drop bag. I think a lot of folks were wishing they had done the same. I saw a guy that would run the marathon in a speedo and a sombrero. He was really cold at the start. Got my number, had my boiled eggs about 50 minutes prior to start. Dropped my jacket and bag about 15 minutes before start time. It turned out to be 25 minutes prior to start as they delayed the start about 10 minutes because of so many people in the bathroom lines.

Just before we started, we all sang the Star Spangeled Banner. I thought that was pretty cool. And we're off! Shuffled along for a bit, crossed the start and was able to slowly jog along until everyone spread out. It was a beautiful morning with great scenery along the river. At about the 3 mile mark, I hear a ping on the pavement, look down and see the lady just in front of me dropped her car key. She had earphones on and couldn't hear it. I grabbed it and gave it to her. She was a marathoner and very grateful to see her key.

At about 3.5 miles, a marathoner was running along side me. He came up from Arizona for the race as he's doing a marathon in all 50 states. Idaho was number 28 for him. We chatted about the local area and sites to see until a little after mile 5. He slowed for a drink then and I never saw him again.

A little after mile 5, we turned left to get on the Boise Greenbelt System. Someone had a sign that said "Good Job Random Stranger." I said thanks, random observer! And on I went. Even though it was cheesy, we all chuckled.

I should mention there were three very inspiring things I saw. Before we started, there was a wheelchair racer that had his left arm amputated at the elbow. He had a pad on the stump and used it to push the left wheel. Later I saw two guys that were taking turns pushing a full grown man in what looked like a big jogging stroller. Later I saw a marathoner pushing a full grown man in a jogging stroller too.

So I'm hitting mile 6 and feeling pretty good. At one point I could feel myself slow a little. I got to mile 7 without a problem. I figured I'd eat some of the sweet potato/apple baby food I brought around mile 8. Right about mile 8 was a powergel stop. They must have had every flavor they made out there. After that I had my baby food. Right after this was in direct sunlight. We had been pretty well shaded for most of the race. It didn't take long to get warm since we were running on the road. But it didn't last too long and we got back on the greenbelt again.

Before I knew it, we were at mile 10. I was feeling pretty good. Once I hit 11 miles, I started thinking about pushing my pace a little. At one point my hip was a little sore but increasing my turnover a little helped. Alright, 12 miles. One more. I picked it up a little and kept waiting for it to be a struggle. It never happened. We turned into the park with a little over 1/4 mile left. I was feeling good and encouraged by all the spectators. I picked it up a little and beat my expected time by about a minute. I was immediately handed a water bottle and medal.

I walked into the park and picked up my drop bag. I had a water bottle with protein powder in it and added some water. When I finished that, I picked up my shirt and grabbed some food. Whole foods had a booth with bananas and watermelon. I got some banana and headed to the food tent. They had 1/2 a baked potato and bagels. I had a baked potato with butter (real butter!). Right after I ate, Spuddy Buddy came around (see picture). Got my picture taken and then headed home.

Great weather, a good, strong race for me and my picture with Spuddy Buddy! A great day!

Last edited by Huarache Gal; 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

20 Jun 14: About two weeks ago, I decided to try the Ray Peat WOE. I've enjoyed Primal, but even incorporating more starch (potatoes and some rice), I was having horrible binge times where I would inhale all the crappy candy and ice cream I could. It culminated in a full weekend binge after returning from vacation. So I decided to try Peat. So far, I really like it. Its been pretty easy and its nice not to cook all the time. My weight is starting to drop a little and I feel better. So we'll see where this takes me. I was at a high of 154 pounds when I got back from vacation. The scale said 149 this morning.

I've been tracking my food on Paleotrack and I noticed I was pretty low carb before. Maybe going higher carb and eating fruit will help my tendency to binge. That's my hope anyway. Eating this way its hard to get to a good intake level. What I mean is that I struggle a little to take in enough calories. I'm sure it will all balance out though.

Comment

4 Nov 14: Wow, its been a long time since I've written in my journal. As far as food goes, I've gone back to my own WOE, which is mostly higher carb primal. I eat quite a bit of fruit and starches and have gone back to full fat. I still have my binge times, but I'm pretty sure its hormone related. I try not to go off track for too long at a time. I've also decided that life is too short not to enjoy treats occasionally. I'm not going to pass up homemade cupcakes or things like that if I want one. So here I am. Nothing seems to help when I'm on a binge streak, but I try not to have junk (candy and ice cream) in the house. That helps some.

I've done two more half marathons since I last wrote in my journal. The Fit One HM on 9/20 and the Zeitgeist HM on 11/1. The Fit One was mostly flat, with a big hill at mile 11.5. After that I struggled, and it was getting warmer. Still had a good finishing time for me. For Zeitgeist, there were two big hills (total elevation gain 1,100 feet). I knew I'd be slower and ended up finishing about 14 minutes slower than my previous one. Not bad, especially since I did quite a bit of power hiking/walking. Now I don't have another HM until January. I'll continue to train over the winter as always, along with my 4-legged running buddy.

I've been able to continue running even on vacation and camping trips. Had some great runs in the mountains and in Washington while we visited family. Some folks don't consider running "primal", but I don't care, I love it.

Comment

Did the Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon on 1/18. Flew down to Phoenix to do this race with my brother. Poor guy had been sick and didn't run the week before. He still wasn't doing that great but was determined to do the race with me. I told him we'd just do whatever he was up to and that we'd finish together.

There were 11,000 signed up for the HM. We left his house pretty early and parked about 6:30 or so, pretty close to the start. The bathroom lines were really long, so we lined up there first. Once that was done, we got into our assigned corral. The race was scheduled to start at 7:50 a.m. Our corral started at about 8:20.

We had both worn some throw away jackets (the race donates them to homeless shelters) plus gloves and hats. I ditched mine about a mile in. We were chugging along, slower than normal but moving pretty steadily. It was cool that there were bands and cheerleaders almost every mile.

My brother said the first 6 miles really sucked and he felt pretty bad. Then he started to feel better. We were chatting and enjoying the scenery. At about mile 9.5 or so there was a pretty good hill, with Japanese drummers at the top. Got there and made the turnaround.

It was about this time that I started feeling the heat. Probably not hot for most folks but when you're used to running in 20s and 30s and its low 60s, you feel it. I started struggling. I wanted to walk but with my brother there, I couldn't do it. I couldn't let him down, especially when he was running sick.

Got to a big bridge that went over a lake and knew we didn't have much further. Made the final turn into the finish line and managed to pick it up a bit. Finished slower than usual, but it was a victory nonetheless.

We got through the chute and into the park. Sat and enjoyed the band for awhile. Then we had to walk to the truck. It was quite a walk, but we finally got there.

A great day with my awesome brother. Maybe we'll do a trail race next time.

Last edited by Huarache Gal; 01-30-2015, 08:50 AM.

Comment

06-02-2015: Its been quite awhile since I've posted. I ran another half marathon on Valentine's Day, even though I shouldn't have. I was having some pretty serious ITBS problems, along with runners knee on the left and plantar fasciitis on the right. But I had told a co-worker I would run it and stupidly kept to my word. I managed to get through the race, but it was very painful and it did take me about 15 minutes longer than usual. After that, I took 2 weeks off of exercise. It didn't help much and I ended up going to the doc and ultimately, to physical therapy. The physical therapy helped a lot, and I'm easing back into a run/walk. My ITBS and knee are doing great with only minor discomfort. The plantar fasciitis on my right foot, however, is still very painful. I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the doc and see if there's anything else going on. In the meantime, I'm keeping up on my leg/hip strength and upper body weights.

My weight and eating has been a roller coaster. Darn menopause anyway. I tried a low carb experiment for two weeks and really didn't notice any difference. To me, its easier to eat along the perfect health diet line, or primal with potatoes. I do eat cheese and have milk in my coffee too.

I just got back last week from a week in the mid-west visiting family. I took that opportunity to eat as much garbage (candy, ice cream, etc.) as I could. So now I'm trying to get back on track.

Bottom line is that I'm healthy and active and I'll just do the best I can with food.

Comment

07-23-15: Well, I'm definitely in a better place since my last entry. We went on a fantastic trip to Moab, Utah, last month. Went 4 wheeling and saw both Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. The scenery was absolutely mind blowing. I did well eating there and since I've been back, have managed to get things under control. I basically cut out added sugars. I eat fruit if I want but pretty much stick to the perfect health diet WOE. My eating has been really good for about a month now. If I get into one of my eating frenzies, I just allow myself to eat as much good, natural food as I want. It seems to be working well. My right foot is still a mess but I'm going to PT and still working on strength and riding my bike. So at least I'm staying active. I hope to get back to walking and then running soon.

Comment

08-05-15: I've been going to PT for my foot. My plantar fasciitis is doing better, but not up to running or much walking yet. I'll have to be patient I guess. I'm working hard on strength, especially lower body. I feel so much stronger already. Still riding my bike to keep me sane. My eating has been great. I'm staying away from my trigger foods (chocolate and ice cream). Seems to be working. My PT seems to think I need "supportive shoes". I'm resisting tooth and nail as I've been a minimalist for a few years now. I'll have to check into this a little further.

Comment

Here are the results from my most recent lipids test:

Total Cholesterol - 315
                            Triglycerides - 42
                            HDL - 82
                            LDL - 203

HDL/total should be higher than 0.24 = mine is .26
                            Triglyceride/HDL should be below 2 = mine is .51

Chol/HDL = 3.84

Comment

Nice ratios! Hopefully you doc gets that and doesn't freak about the total or LDL.

I've had a bout of PF since a run in the desert in April where I found some sand... Towel scrunches, and calf raises/lowers on a yoga block are working well to improve it, so is taping my arch. I'm slowly working back to running, no more than a couple of miles at a time so far. I never really stopped hiking as that would have made me insane. With a good tape job, I do ok. Anyway, hope you continue to improve.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                              M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                              - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

Thanks, M2M. Things are improving, just much slower than I'd like!

Originally posted by Meant2Move View Post
                                Nice ratios! Hopefully you doc gets that and doesn't freak about the total or LDL.

I've had a bout of PF since a run in the desert in April where I found some sand... Towel scrunches, and calf raises/lowers on a yoga block are working well to improve it, so is taping my arch. I'm slowly working back to running, no more than a couple of miles at a time so far. I never really stopped hiking as that would have made me insane. With a good tape job, I do ok. Anyway, hope you continue to improve.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X