No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldie - excellent! I used to name my French horn each year in high school (I rented, didn't own - they are expensive and my family didn't have several grand to toss around). Many of my friends did the same.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      Josephine Marie is a beautiful name. My maternal grandmother's name was Josephine La Violette.
      Oh I love that name - it sounds like the heroine in a great work!

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
      I love all those old names. All our daughters have been named after people I admired, and of course we liked their names !!!!!!!!!If If I get to name our animals they also have old names. Cows over the years have endured - Myrtle, Elle-may, Annie, Bethany, Dulcie, Elspeth, Florance, Gertrude, Harriet, Mary-bella, Nancy, Polly, Wilheimena etc...........
      I wouldn't call children after all of those but, pets !!!!!!!! fer sure !!!!!!!
      Pets are fun and they don't turn on you for naming them something. I've had a Paulie, a Yoko, JR (Ewing), Elvira, Scully, POTUS (which I'd never heard 'til I watched West Wing), Grasshopper (from the old Kung Fu tv show). But I promise, I'd never name my child Grasshopper.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      A girl would have been Vita (for Vita Sackville-West and its life-affirming properties) Athene. Oddly, I'm lukewarm about it now. Good job we had a boy!

I'm on my third name - pre-adoption, post-adoption, post-motherhood. Names seem quite arbitrary to me, certainly not set in stone, and quite possibly not connected with innate being, even though, as namers, we'd like to think we are giving the person/thing named an identity/core essence.
      Before identity theft, there were a few states where you just had to start using a different name with no criminal intent for that name to become your new legal name. I had a lot of hippie friends who re-named themselves Sky, Forest, etc.

Originally posted by excursivey View Post
      These are cool name stories. Can't imagine how I got my name cause my dad filled out a form in the hospital that had spots for a boy name and a girl name depending on what I turned out to be (yes, I'm that old). He put Michelle, but somehow I actually am Stacy.

My great grandmother's name was Mary Julia. If I'd ever had a girl I wanted to name her that.
      That's pretty also. I do know that because of my mom's name, folks will call that combo "MJ." My godmother even started writing it as, "Emjay."

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
      We even name our cars.

I have a funny story about naming cars. When we were stationed in England, we bought a used car from a co-worker's husband (Stan) who got reassigned. Stan and his family were leaving in two weeks, so we paid him for the car but let him drive it for the last two weeks they were there.

When they had a week left, my Sweetie came home from work and told me, "I saw Stan up on base today."

So of course I asked, "How is their packing going? How's Stan?"

Sweetie said, "Oh, I didn't see Stan; I saw the car, in the car park." --So that's how that car got its name: Stan.

Stan was a great car. It was a Hong Kong spec, so it had right-hand drive, but also had A/C, which was almost unheard of in England. That came in handy during the summer when there was record-breaking heat. The motorways were melting at 94F. A bloke in a shopping center had to tell us, "'A, mate, your car's got a leak!" (You know how cars with A/C have condensation drips under it.) Sweetie explained about the A/C. The bloke was amazed. Stuck his head in the car window to experience it for himself!

We had Stan for two and a half years or so. During spring break, our whole family was heading home from an outing, and one of Stan's cylinders blew a hole. We limped home, but Stan was done for.

I had planned on taking my two teenage daughters, plus a friend, to the London mall the next day, but now that trip was off. Older teen daughter called her friend to tell her the trip was off. "I'm so mad," daughter told friend. "Stan died and now we can't go to the mall!"

Of course the friend was horror-stricken at daughter's reaction to the death--until daughter explained that Stan was the car!

We paid $500 for Stan, and sold his body to another service member who had a good engine but a destroyed body (same model car). He paid us $200 for the body.

So for $300 we drove an air-conditioned car for two and half years, and got a great story out of it!

And Stan lived on...
      LOL!

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
      Goldie - excellent! I used to name my French horn each year in high school (I rented, didn't own - they are expensive and my family didn't have several grand to toss around). Many of my friends did the same.
      I've never named an instrument, and cars are usually, "Baby." As in I buy beaters, so it's, "C'mon Baby, start for Momma."
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I've never named an instrument, and cars are usually, "Baby." As in I buy beaters, so it's, "C'mon Baby, start for Momma."
        I also buy shitbox cars and hold to the same policy, if it starts, its a good boy, if it don't, its a bag of shit, and gets the Basil Fawlty treatment....

Comment

• I think I have only had 1 used car.... I bought it in 1979 before I went to my first permanant duty station. It was a maroon 1971 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It had maroon leather seats, power everything (windows, doors, seat adjustment etc), AC and it drove like a dream. The engine compartment was huge, and there was enough space behind the headlights to stash a 6-pack.... Not that I would ever drink and drive or anything like that.....

I remember one summer I was headed to the beach with another Hospital corpsman and Marine in my car. We stopped to get something to drink and the Marine had bought several Hershey bars.... when we got close to the beach, we passed a group of 3 ladies walking towards the beach and, as a joke, he hung out the back window waving the chocolate bars and shouted at the girls "Hey little girl, want a candy bar and a ride in my Cadillac!"...... The last I heard about him is he got out of the Corps, and got a job as West Virginia State Trooper....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
            I also buy shitbox cars and hold to the same policy, if it starts, its a good boy, if it don't, its a bag of shit, and gets the Basil Fawlty treatment....
            LOL - I think my current car has a blue book value of less than $600. I've had it close to ten years, paid $1250 for it and in all that time put maybe another $2000 into it for maintenance (gotta make sure it will stop also) when all the hoses and stuff started turning to powder.

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
            I think I have only had 1 used car.... I bought it in 1979 before I went to my first permanant duty station. It was a maroon 1971 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It had maroon leather seats, power everything (windows, doors, seat adjustment etc), AC and it drove like a dream. The engine compartment was huge, and there was enough space behind the headlights to stash a 6-pack.... Not that I would ever drink and drive or anything like that.....

I remember one summer I was headed to the beach with another Hospital corpsman and Marine in my car. We stopped to get something to drink and the Marine had bought several Hershey bars.... when we got close to the beach, we passed a group of 3 ladies walking towards the beach and, as a joke, he hung out the back window waving the chocolate bars and shouted at the girls "Hey little girl, want a candy bar and a ride in my Cadillac!"...... The last I heard about him is he got out of the Corps, and got a job as West Virginia State Trooper....
            I'm the opposite, Doc. I've only had one new car. My first two cars were these (pics are from online):

I paid $125 for the '63 Ford Falcon Sprint, and got the '64 Chrysler 300 for free from my grandmother. Gas was just under 30cents/gallon when I got the Falcon, and about 35cents/gallon when I got the Chrysler. I loved both of those cars. And old Caddies are awesome.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Still a day behind...

Deleted by me.
              Last edited by JoanieL; 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• I was up at 6 am too. Practicing being a Ninja Mom, moving silently w/o lights so as not to wake DS. So far so good.

I've only ever had used cars. I wouldn't mind driving a new one but I don't want too bad enough to go into debt for the pleasure.

I'm afraid I've never tried powdered tomatoes or beets; I think you may have to be the guinea pig and report back with your findings. Of the 2 the tomatoes sound more useful.

I <3 the Little Prince, one of my all time favorite books.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Oddly, I was up at 6 a.m. too but I just got up, made hubby a cup of coffee and crawled back into bed to cuddle with Daisy until a civilized hour.

My first two cars were used. After that, for a while we would get a new car, hubby would drive it, and when we got the new car, I would get the older one. After pointing out how unfair that was, and in hindsight it wasn't, we alternate. I tried to find a used Volvo wagon but if they existed, the miles were high and so was the price. My Honda is almost 10 and only has 49,000 miles on it, mostly intown driving. So hopefully today or tomorrow I will get my new wagon.

Comment

• Sweetie is a mechanic, and he always makes sure that I have the better (mechanically) car than he does, which hasn't always been the newest one. He says that he has a better chance of fixing something on the side of the road than I do--which is true. He was born to be a mechanic. He has actually diagnosed motorcycle trouble from 2,000 miles away. OVER THE PHONE with our son. Sweetie listens as son holds cell phone close to motorcycle's running engine. "Well, son, it sounds like <insert incomprehensible mech talk here>." And that's what it was!

I love my Sweetie. I'm going to keep him.

Comment

• Val, good luck on the wagon - exciting !!!!!!!!!!
                      we often bought new cars over the years, but that was through trial and error !!!!!!!
                      we lived 1.5 hours away from CHCH by car, so if i was returning from a trip to CHCH with little people and the car broke down......... huge amounts of remote areas between where we used to live and town......... anyway we decided that safety was paramount, and I love the smell of a new car...........so I wasn't complaining !!!!!!!!
                      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Neither one of us has the ability to fix them so we tend to replace them when stuff starts to go wrong. My parent's cars were always breaking down when I was a kid and I swore I would never own a car like that.

Comment

December 2, 2013 (Monday)

Yeah, unfunded mandates are as useful as tits on a bull.
                          I have often heard that phrase.... sometimes it's teats on a bull, others it's teats on a boar hog and in one of my maaaaaaany bored moments, I stopped to ponder said phrase... and found that you can make money on teats on a bull or a boar hog...... but teats on a bullfrog..... they just get in the way and are worthless...

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                            I was up at 6 am too. Practicing being a Ninja Mom, moving silently w/o lights so as not to wake DS. So far so good.

I've only ever had used cars. I wouldn't mind driving a new one but I don't want too bad enough to go into debt for the pleasure.

I'm afraid I've never tried powdered tomatoes or beets; I think you may have to be the guinea pig and report back with your findings. Of the 2 the tomatoes sound more useful.

I <3 the Little Prince, one of my all time favorite books.
                            I'll probably buy the powdered tomatoes first. More useful, and a good way to try a dehydrated product. I didn't realize how many dehydrated products Frontier makes. I've used their cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, garlic flakes, curry powder, and pickling spice. All good. They even do powdered eggs, which aren't of use to me, though I could see them in a prepper sense.

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                            Oddly, I was up at 6 a.m. too but I just got up, made hubby a cup of coffee and crawled back into bed to cuddle with Daisy until a civilized hour.

My first two cars were used. After that, for a while we would get a new car, hubby would drive it, and when we got the new car, I would get the older one. After pointing out how unfair that was, and in hindsight it wasn't, we alternate. I tried to find a used Volvo wagon but if they existed, the miles were high and so was the price. My Honda is almost 10 and only has 49,000 miles on it, mostly intown driving. So hopefully today or tomorrow I will get my new wagon.
                            And will it be red? I hope so for you.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                            Sweetie is a mechanic, and he always makes sure that I have the better (mechanically) car than he does, which hasn't always been the newest one. He says that he has a better chance of fixing something on the side of the road than I do--which is true. He was born to be a mechanic. He has actually diagnosed motorcycle trouble from 2,000 miles away. OVER THE PHONE with our son. Sweetie listens as son holds cell phone close to motorcycle's running engine. "Well, son, it sounds like <insert incomprehensible mech talk here>." And that's what it was!

I love my Sweetie. I'm going to keep him.
                            Sounds like a keeper to me. One of my exes can build a home from the basement up, and oddly, he's the one with whom I still stay in contact the most.

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                            Val, good luck on the wagon - exciting !!!!!!!!!!
                            we often bought new cars over the years, but that was through trial and error !!!!!!!
                            we lived 1.5 hours away from CHCH by car, so if i was returning from a trip to CHCH with little people and the car broke down......... huge amounts of remote areas between where we used to live and town......... anyway we decided that safety was paramount, and I love the smell of a new car...........so I wasn't complaining !!!!!!!!
                            That makes sense G. Getting stuck sucks - getting stuck in a remote area just makes it worse.

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                            Neither one of us has the ability to fix them so we tend to replace them when stuff starts to go wrong. My parent's cars were always breaking down when I was a kid and I swore I would never own a car like that.
                            Yeah, I usually dump them if the problems start becoming chronic. Too much hassle.

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                            I have often heard that phrase.... sometimes it's teats on a bull, others it's teats on a boar hog and in one of my maaaaaaany bored moments, I stopped to ponder said phrase... and found that you can make money on teats on a bull or a boar hog...... but teats on a bullfrog..... they just get in the way and are worthless...
                            LOL Doc! I'm most likely going to steal that one.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• December 3, 2013 (Tuesday)

Deleted by me.
                              Last edited by JoanieL; 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Suddenly, I’m looking forward to this. Give me some chilled fish/seafood, olives, capers, giardiniera, tomatoes, some olive oil, and a hunk of sourdough (bad cave girl!) and I’m a pretty happy camper. I might even splurge and make a shrimp/sausage/rice thing. Or maybe skewers? Sorry, just thinking out loud
                                I want this now!!!!! What beverages will you be serving?
                                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                                X