Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PRAY-leen. No silly tshirt, just real clothing. But with a mint julep as a hand accessory. Had to look up Hand Grenade from your post a few weeks ago as I had never heard of it - oh blarff - hell no!

    I was in elementary school in the 70s, rocking it with the Southern Baptists at ice cream socials and those Sundays where the member family got a prize for the most visitors they could hogtie and bring to church on certain Sundays. Lots of us kids crammed into the back of somebody's station wagon, no seat belts, no worries.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
      Round pan, or made in a rectangular pan?? My Oma makes both kinds, and the one you describe would be made in a rectangular pan at her house (central Germany - northern Hessen). There are milk products over there that are just now in the 21st century making their way into US markets, so I suspect the cottage cheese might have been a substitution. You have me curious!
      They were usually round, made in pie tins. If she ran out of pie tins, she would make in rectangular baking dishes. She easily made 10-20 of them for Thanksgiving. I have a feeling that cottage cheese may have been substituted in at some point for farmers cheese. That branch of my family had settled in what is now the Ukraine and ended up in Jud, North Dakota so lots of dairy would have been available. I got the recipe I have from watching her and writing down approximations of what she put into it. I had perfected it after a few test batches. I wish I had gotten more of her recipes. Most of it I couldn't eat today because of the wheat but fried bread stuffed with hamburger or cottage cheese with green onion were so yummy!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by vh67 View Post
        Family history is fascinating. We all know from Princess Bride not to mess with Sicilians! I am sure there are some great back stories!
        Inconcieeeevable!

        Comment


        • Classic flick, the iocaine powder didn't do him any favours tho....

          Comment


          • Originally posted by vh67 View Post
            I agreed about the black and white thing. As I have gotten older, I have found that there is very little that is not at least a little gray. I wasted too much of my time yesterday with someone who, in my opinion, comes across as that rabid uneducated yokel that has no comprehehension when it comes to reading. "If you point out the problems with what I wrote then you must be a God hating liberal commie that sits on your couch all day living off the gubbment" is a standard response to anyone who has a slight disagreement with his fearmongering. It must hurt their souls to be so filled with hate and fear of anything different.

            You are right, What is the thing with fruit around here lately? I will have a serving or two sometimes when there is something good in season but pounds of it, everyday? No thank you!

            Figs, a little bit of a sharp cheese like a maytag bleu wrapped in a salty cured meat is also pretty tasty!
            I hear you on the grey/moderate area. Seems everyone is either an extremist or they are "wishywashy" or "sad because you feel you can't trust anyone" (seriously I don't understand that one at all).

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
              PRAY-leen. No silly tshirt, just real clothing. But with a mint julep as a hand accessory. Had to look up Hand Grenade from your post a few weeks ago as I had never heard of it - oh blarff - hell no!

              I was in elementary school in the 70s, rocking it with the Southern Baptists at ice cream socials and those Sundays where the member family got a prize for the most visitors they could hogtie and bring to church on certain Sundays. Lots of us kids crammed into the back of somebody's station wagon, no seat belts, no worries.
              My brains thinks PRAY-leen also, but the two times I've purchased it (and it is sooo sweet that I can only eat about half of one of those little disc things), I verbalized PRAH-leen. I've only had one hand grenade and it was when I first got here. It was also after having two Cajun Martinis with dinner, a glass of champagne, and a few shots of tequila. Even that toasted, I thought the drink was too sweet. I woke up the next morning... nevermind - too public a forum.

              Originally posted by vh67 View Post
              They were usually round, made in pie tins. If she ran out of pie tins, she would make in rectangular baking dishes. She easily made 10-20 of them for Thanksgiving. I have a feeling that cottage cheese may have been substituted in at some point for farmers cheese. That branch of my family had settled in what is now the Ukraine and ended up in Jud, North Dakota so lots of dairy would have been available. I got the recipe I have from watching her and writing down approximations of what she put into it. I had perfected it after a few test batches. I wish I had gotten more of her recipes. Most of it I couldn't eat today because of the wheat but fried bread stuffed with hamburger or cottage cheese with green onion were so yummy!
              You had me at fried bread. :::hangs head in cavegirl shame:::

              Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
              Inconcieeeevable!
              Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
              Classic flick, the iocaine powder didn't do him any favours tho....
              Funny stuff!

              Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
              I hear you on the grey/moderate area. Seems everyone is either an extremist or they are "wishywashy" or "sad because you feel you can't trust anyone" (seriously I don't understand that one at all).
              I have a little bit of trust issues, but I think it comes from being both female (i.e. fairly physically weak in comparison to most men), and the way I was trained as an accountant. Professional skepticism is the concept where you don't assume your client has something to hide, but neither do you assume that just because s/he's footing the bill that everything is being done perfectly. That's kind of how I relate to new people - I don't assume they're users, but I'm cautious. (And maybe a little wishy washy.)
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

              B*tch-lite

              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

              Comment


              • I love the princess bride.............. Especially those huge rats, and the little lisping scicillian!!!!!!!!!!!
                Okay Gwamma needs to get her butt into gear...........
                Have the best day J
                G x
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

                ...small steps....

                Comment


                • Hope you had a lovely day also, G. Is everything going okay with you?
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                  B*tch-lite

                  Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                  Comment


                  • November 18, 2013 (Monday)

                    Deleted by me.
                    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-26-2014, 05:21 AM.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                    B*tch-lite

                    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                    Comment


                    • 150 years ago

                      On November 19, 1863, Abraham Lincoln gave a short speech that still grips our hearts.



                      Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

                      Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure.
                      We are met on a great battlefield of that war.
                      We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live.
                      It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
                      But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground.
                      The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract.
                      The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

                      It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced.

                      It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                      B*tch-lite

                      Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        On November 19, 1863, Abraham Lincoln gave a short speech that still grips our hearts.



                        Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

                        Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure.
                        We are met on a great battlefield of that war.
                        We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live.
                        It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
                        But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground.
                        The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract.
                        The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

                        It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced.

                        It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
                        Stirring stuff.
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          As I predicted, the presence of Costco is going to make the local stores take notice. A couple of our stores have their coffee on “sale” for about the same price as some of Costco’s coffees. Ha! I bet those sales are going to last a good long time.

                          Talk about your genetically modified foods!


                          It’s the wee hours of the morning. Not sure why I’m up, but I think I’ll sleep in a bit. It’s raining buckets out there, and it’s good thing. The humidity was a 97% a few hours ago. I turned on the a/c for a little while just to dehumidify the air.

                          Pair of lungs that live on after donor's death give hope to transplant patients | Mail Online



                          Self-Healing Battery Becoming a Reality



                          New warning says 'superbugs' could erase century of medical advances | Fox News - They’re blaming over-prescribing, which is valid, but not a word on the antibiotics in our food supply. Skuzzbuckets.

                          Finally slept.

                          Ooh! I found a cool tool. Inflation Calculator 2013 – It calculates inflation. I was wondering what my $20/week allowance in 1972 would be now, and according to that calculator, it would be $111.73 !! Geez, I wouldn’t want to have teenagers now. Way too expensive. LOL

                          That also means that $1.00 in 1972 dollars is the same as $5.26 in today’s dollars.

                          And, because I like to play with numbers, since minimum wage was $1.60/hr in 1972, adjusted for inflation, it should be $8.42/hr now. But it’s $7.25. It doesn’t sound like a big difference, but it’s a 14% decrease in buying power. And when you consider that minimum wage workers (necessarily) spend more than they save, it’s not a smart thing for the economy.

                          I picked 1972 because I broke my arm that summer and had to quit my part-time job and go back to getting an allowance.

                          What things cost in 1972:

                          Movie ticket: $1.70
                          An ounce of gold: $58 (now, approximately $1474)
                          A gallon of gasoline: 36cents – so this has gone up tenfold to ~$3.57

                          A picture is worth fifty six thousand words:


                          It’s still raining. Or it’s raining again. But not buckets. Just a nice I-can-walk-in-this drizzle.

                          Took a nice drizzly walk. Dried off and had a delicious cup of coffee blended with butter, and spent the rest of the day reading, doing crossword puzzles, and dozing to TV.

                          Sunday’s food: Coffee w/various oils. Lemonade with a little basil simple syrup. Some stew beef with what was left of the turnips and sweet potatoes with some collard greens – all stir fried together with a lot of garlic. A 1.5 strength protein shake with cocoa powder and two egg whites. Got my protein fersure yesterday – 136 grams. Yay me.
                          I'm not sure if you've ever watched a turkey run, but on 2 legs, they are pretty quick... can you imagine how fast that bastage would be with 6 of 'em? Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! lol

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                            I'm not sure if you've ever watched a turkey run, but on 2 legs, they are pretty quick... can you imagine how fast that bastage would be with 6 of 'em? Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! lol
                            ah... one of the few jokes I can remember is about a three-legged chicken.
                            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              I'm not sure if you've ever watched a turkey run, but on 2 legs, they are pretty quick... can you imagine how fast that bastage would be with 6 of 'em? Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! lol
                              Think how fit you'ld get trying to catch one of they buggers for thanksgiving....

                              Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                              ah... one of the few jokes I can remember is about a three-legged chicken.
                              Go on then, always up for a joke!

                              That lung story is good news for the cystic fibro sufferers!

                              Not sure if I'd want to stump up the interest for that debt....

                              And yer man in Toronto's been acting up again! Mayor Rob Ford cuts up rough!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                                Stirring stuff.
                                It is. And I am truly saddened that in 150 short years, we've become of, by, and for the corporations, instead of the people.

                                Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                I'm not sure if you've ever watched a turkey run, but on 2 legs, they are pretty quick... can you imagine how fast that bastage would be with 6 of 'em? Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! lol

                                Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                                ah... one of the few jokes I can remember is about a three-legged chicken.
                                Tell it - I love a good joke!

                                Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post

                                That lung story is good news for the cystic fibro sufferers!

                                Not sure if I'd want to stump up the interest for that debt....

                                And yer man in Toronto's been acting up again! Mayor Rob Ford cuts up rough!
                                I guess they're also going to try the air thing with other organs. Between that and artificial organs, I think someday we'll just be able to order them off of Amazon. heh

                                He bowled that poor woman over. LOL Good reflexes though - it looks like he caught her before she hit the ground. Coke does improve reflexes to a point. I've learned to duck and cover when big guys like that start charging.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                                B*tch-lite

                                Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X