No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year we are doing a super quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We did not even do a tree or any decorations since we were in Hawaii for 8 days. I had surgery to remove and replace my iv port on Monday so I am moving a little slow. In Husband's family Christmas Eve was the big celebration so tonight we are having rack of lamb, a special bottle of wine and opening presents. Tomorrow I am making a big prime rib and roasted potatoes with more wine. We will open stockings when his sister shows up, hopefully sometime by the end of the year. It should be a lovely time.

I made something similar to the shrimp tree when I was younger! But without the olives. I used to love finding ideas like that in magazines and my mom would indulge me. Some worked out great and some were epic failures.

I hope everyone has had or will have a lovely holiday, whatever you celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
      This year we are doing a super quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We did not even do a tree or any decorations since we were in Hawaii for 8 days. I had surgery to remove and replace my iv port on Monday so I am moving a little slow. In Husband's family Christmas Eve was the big celebration so tonight we are having rack of lamb, a special bottle of wine and opening presents. Tomorrow I am making a big prime rib and roasted potatoes with more wine. We will open stockings when his sister shows up, hopefully sometime by the end of the year. It should be a lovely time.

I made something similar to the shrimp tree when I was younger! But without the olives. I used to love finding ideas like that in magazines and my mom would indulge me. Some worked out great and some were epic failures.

I hope everyone has had or will have a lovely holiday, whatever you celebrate!
      Sounds like Heaven to me.

The epic food failures are almost as much fun as the successes!

Can't remember if I've told this, but one time my grandmother decided to try Minute Rice to make her arancini. But Minute Rice was marketed to be fluffy and perfect every time. Fluffy and perfect, of course, meant dry and tasteless. And you sure couldn't form it into a ball. So she made a casserole type thing with all the rice and meat and peas, then topped it with breadcrumbs and baked it. When we asked her what it was, she told us it was rice balls and we all had a good laugh.

Merry Christmas V! And to your husband and family also.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Now I have to make a shrimp tree. Or maybe a prawn bush.

Merry Christmas!
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
          Now I have to make a shrimp tree. Or maybe a prawn bush.

Merry Christmas!
          Merry Christmas to you also Walrus! Knowing you makes me smile a lot.

Prawn bush? Do the prawns need an epilator? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Merry Christmas Joanie. Have a great day.
            Female back to the basics: 5-2017
            CW: 2017: 150
            GW: 130 a dream, I know
            Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              Merry Christmas to you also Walrus! Knowing you makes me smile a lot.

Prawn bush? Do the prawns need an epilator? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
              Well, come to think of it...

Comment

• Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
                Merry Christmas Joanie. Have a great day.
                Thank you, Pam! Hope you feel as right as rain.

Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                Well, come to think of it...
                My prawns often come with beards, but I'd never noticed the other.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

I watched the animated Google Doodle for today, and could only wonder, "Wtf did I just watch?"

Ooh, I just thought of a story. My first lover and I were together from the time I was almost 17 to when I was 23. On my 18th birthday, he'd given me a sexy black negligee, and a beautiful necklace that I still have. He was pretty much of a romantic. So, on the second Christmas we lived together, when I saw a large box and a shoe box under our little tree, I assumed that some things for sexy times were in the boxes. Imagine my horror when I opened them and the large one contained a car coat and the shoe box contained work boots. Don't get me wrong, work boots were kind of what we wore back then in winter. And I needed a new coat. But as much as I tried, I couldn't hold back the tears.

He wondered what I was crying for. "Don't you think I'm sexy anymore?" I asked through my tears. He broke up laughing. And showed me right then and there that he did indeed find me desirable.

As a woman of a certain age, I have to laugh now that I could possibly think that my 23 year old boyfriend didn't think his 18 year old girlfriend was still sexy. I mean at that age, men think linoleum is sexy. hahaha

Thanks to Dave who mentioned Sledgehammer in another thread and gave me something else to binge-watch on youtube.

The gallery: Nothing says, "I love you," like these Christmas gifts:

Thanks, Santa! :::cough, cough:::

Guys, are you trying to kill me?

Santa's really a bad boy. And look at that gold chain!

Nothing says Christmas like guns for the whole family.

*A note on the Hoover. Unless it's a specific request, never, ever, give a woman a gift that will make her a more efficient maid. The woman in the ad looks so happy, but there are women out there who would shove that Hoover into a very tight orifice on the giver. Just sayin'.

Peace, love, and Merry Christmas again,
                  J
                  Last edited by JoanieL; 12-25-2014, 07:11 AM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

My prawns often come with beards, but I'd never noticed the other.
                    I just can't think about that too much!

Comment

• I have enough shrimp and olives in the house to make that stupendous tower. So I'm tempted. But I'll just be piling them into bowls, I'm sure.

Comment

• Merry christmas and happy boxing day J!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                          I just can't think about that too much!
                          LOL! I think I freaked myself out also with that mental image.

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          I have enough shrimp and olives in the house to make that stupendous tower. So I'm tempted. But I'll just be piling them into bowls, I'm sure.
                          It's all good. I just love me some seafood. Except for scallops, and recently anchovies (which I love but are causing me issues), just about any creepy crawley from the sea or fresh water is deeee-licious.

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          Merry christmas and happy boxing day J!
                          Back atcha, darling Doc!
                          Last edited by JoanieL; 12-26-2014, 08:11 PM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Mindless meanderings...

Some of my favorite sayings, though I refrain from using some online due to moderation.
                            • You obviously have me confused with someone who gives a sh*t.
                            • If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd just fart. (This one is really tough not to post sometimes.)
                            • Were your parents related before they were married?
                            • If I wanted your opinion, I'd beat it out of you. (Sounds too "real" to use online.)
                            • If you were on fire, I wouldn't even stop to piss on you. ( Source: an old beau.)
                            • You're dumber than a box of rocks. (Dumb is a colloquialism we Americans use to mean stupid, not mute.)
                            • That's as useful as teats on a bull.
                            • I wouldn't f*** him/her with your d***.

So, while some may think I'm a bit caustic in the other forums, please keep in mind that I bite my cyber tongue more often than one might imagine.

There's a thread in the Nutrition forum titled, "Why We Get Fat." Because we eat too much and most of it is crap. End thread.

Others in various forums (fora?): (as always, I'm goofing around, and genuinely mean no offense to the OP or posters in any given thread)
                            • "Daily Sugar Intake" - take two bowls of ice cream and call me in the morning.
                            • "HELP, Can't Sleep!!!" - flush the cocaine. Stop yelling. Get thee to a doctor. Or, you could just take a nap.
                            • "Defining Carbs and Carb Timing" - carbs are those things that aren't protein, fat, or alcohol. Your health isn't defined by a moment in time, but is defined by what you've done over time.
                            • "Stool liquidity & nutrient absorption" - best thread in a long time. Though my preference is for weekend poop threads because they have this air of, "I've been busy all week, but now it's the weekend and I want to talks about my poop," a Christmas poop thread is worthy of notice.
                            • "Feeding other people's kids b'fast?" - okay, first I have to process the fact that you voluntarily let other children into your home after having some of your own. Yeah, I got nothin'. I'd rather have a neighbor's pet in my house than a neighbor's kid.
                            • "The Future Looks Bleak for Bones" - This is the only upside of being fat for a time as an adult. Every step I took was a weight-bearing exercise.

Another fairly useless mental exercise. More than a year ago, I tried to come up with a way that food stamp recipients could eat well on the $180/mo allotment (for a single person). It was tedious and I dropped it. Because I was doing something for myself the other day, i.e. how to eat well and offset the cost of some of the higher priced things I eat, I decided to ask the question just using protein as the criterion. So, using the foods I like to eat over a ten day period, I came up with a rough estimate.

Foods eaten just once in the 10 day period: 1/2 lb of wild salmon at Costco's price, 1/3 of a container of oysters (pretty much the same price everywhere), a 3-egg (grocery store price) scramble with 1/4 pound grass fed ground beef at WhFoods price, 1/2 pound chicken livers at WhFoods price.

Foods eaten more than once in the ten-day period: 11 oz. pork loin (grocery store price), 1 lb chicken (grocery store), 1/2-2/3 pound grass fed ground beef (WFoods). Since Good Eggs and WhFoods are basically the same price for those items, EBT recipients don't pay sales tax on food, and WhFoods is the only store around here that sells grass fed beef, it was fair, even though one doesn't associate WF with EBT. And Good Eggs can't take EBT, though I'm guessing they could get around it because the "prepared" foods places in OR get around that particular exclusion by charging a dollar to cook a pizza, for example, and the dollar has to be paid in cash/debit/etc.

The results. 10 dinners averaged ~$3 per meal just for the protein, but they only averaged 68 grams of protein. Add two eggs + a 1-scoop protein shake per day, and the result is $4.26/day for 110 grams of protein average. $4.26/day x 30 days = $127.80. This leaves a whopping $52.20 for all your other food. You could do a protein shake only every other day and still have a very good amount of protein (95 grams average) - this would save you 81cents x 15 days = $12.15/month on protein and bump your "other" food money to $64.35, and it would be fine since 110 grams protein/day is higher than a lot of people want or need. You could also ditch the oysters which kind of suck as a protein source and eat something else that day, but a third of a container doesn't much change the original $3 average. So it can be done, but it's a squeaker. Using Costco as a source, things like big bags of rice, not organic bags of frozen veggies and fruits, coffee, and Kerrygold butter (or coconut oil for more savings on the daily coffee addition) you could just make it. Oh, and I think the farmers markets here do one day a month where food stamp recipients get some really good deal like 50% off. Stock up; slice 'em; blanch them; freeze.

You could also not be Joanie, and so eat CAFO beef and dairy products. I have issues with added hormones. But at almost 60 (just kill me now), I don't have a lot of issues with antibiotics. I'd rather not eat them in my food, but I can cope. The hormones make me want to puke.

News. Joe Cocker is dead. It was cancer. He was 70. This makes me very sad. California dog survives 15-foot fall by landing in hot tub - NY Daily News - talk about good luck!

The gallery: The theme for this is Grumpy Cat.

Peace, love, and Grumpy cat rocks my soul,
                            J
                            Last edited by JoanieL; 12-26-2014, 08:17 PM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Thanks for letting me see that folks could survive on food stamps. The only thing is transportation and how close places like Costco are.
                              Female back to the basics: 5-2017
                              CW: 2017: 150
                              GW: 130 a dream, I know
                              Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
                                Thanks for letting me see that folks could survive on food stamps. The only thing is transportation and how close places like Costco are.
                                That's a very good point. Technically, I live in a food desert, but not by much - there's a Walmart, a Breaux Mart, and a Rouses within 1.1 miles, so only a tenth of a mile over the definition. Which is walkable, even with a "granny cart" and I have one because I find them very useful. The bus would cost $2.50 round trip. Costco, otoh, can be gotten to by mass transit with a transfer in each direction, so that's still fairly cheap at $3/round trip. But it would be a hassle even with a granny cart because of the distance and the fact that no one really does small shopping at Costco (do they?). And of course, a lot of people on assistance do have some kind of a vehicle.

This is the type of thing I mean when I say granny cart: Amazon.com - Whitmor 6318-2678 Deluxe Rolling Utility Cart, Black - Kitchen Storage Carts

When I don't need it to lug stuff around, I use it to hang hand washables.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                                X