No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I take it this Diane Feinstein's not overly popular then?! Not a very clever situation all round really.
    To the non USA folks: She is one of the two Senators from California. Barbara Boxer is the other, both Democrats.

In the USA, we have two legislative bodies in the Federal Government, with popularly elected members from the individual states.
    1. The Senate where each state has two Senators, six year terms that are staggered so you don't vote for both at the same time, statewide elections.
    2 The House of Representatives, where the states have membership based on their relative population, Representatives have 2 year terms, and a Representative is elected from geographical districts that are determined by each state and normally set each decade after our census. For what it's worth, California's most notable (maybe notorious?) Rep is Nancy Pelosi, also a Democrat.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      My apologies for any offense.
      I wasn't offended, Joanie. Being in the military "complex", I get news that the mainstream media doesn't want to tell people. My offense is at the media for being political rather than just reporting news.

And I join you in disrespect for the top. From what I see, 99% of those who are in politics today (especially at the federal level) are in it for themselves, not to represent the majority of Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rig D View Post
        To the non USA folks: She is one of the two Senators from California. Barbara Boxer is the other, both Democrats.

In the USA, we have two legislative bodies in the Federal Government, with popularly elected members from the individual states.
        1. The Senate where each state has two Senators, six year terms that are staggered so you don't vote for both at the same time, statewide elections.
        2 The House of Representatives, where the states have membership based on their relative population, Representatives have 2 year terms, and a Representative is elected from geographical districts that are determined by each state and normally set each decade after our census. For what it's worth, California's most notable (maybe notorious?) Rep is Nancy Pelosi, also a Democrat.
        Got a good chuckle out of notorious!

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
        I wasn't offended, Joanie. Being in the military "complex", I get news that the mainstream media doesn't want to tell people. My offense is at the media for being political rather than just reporting news.

And I join you in disrespect for the top. From what I see, 99% of those who are in politics today (especially at the federal level) are in it for themselves, not to represent the majority of Americans.
        Thank goodness!

I think if I knew what you knew, my head would explode. LOL. And I totally agree - the news becoming a profit center has ruined it.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Random Snippets

I don't seem to be in the mood for long cohesive posts the last few days, so I guess I'll do random snippets.

15 dozen oysters. The Acme challenge on Man vs Food. He did it. I might be able to do it if the oysters were prepared in different ways, but 180 raw oysters would probably make me puke. I love them, but there's a limit. I'd seen it before, so I was ready to get queasy, but I didn't. I got so queasy the first time I saw it that I really didn't remember whether he'd completed the challenge.

Between these two links: History of coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and History of Coffee | The History Kitchen | PBS Food , there's a ton of info on coffee. But as to who discovered coffee, I like this bit of lore best:

Another possibly apocryphal account involves a 9th-century Ethiopian goat-herder, Kaldi, who, noticing the energizing effects when his flock nibbled on the bright red berries of a certain bush, chewed on the fruit himself. His exhilaration prompted him to bring the berries to a Monk in a nearby monastery. But the monk disapproved of their use and threw them into the fire, from which an enticing aroma billowed and the monks came out to investigate. The roasted beans were quickly raked from the embers, ground up and dissolved in hot water, yielding the world's first cup of coffee.
          So, my dear Kaldi, I thank you (and also many thanks to the Monks).

Last night's supper was 8 oz of potato parboiled then fried in lard with 3 scrambled eggs thrown on top at the end. And I topped it with two tablespoons of plain yogurt. It stuffed me to the gills. I had to have a protein shake before bed to bump up my protein grams, and it took me a half hour to sip it down.

Ex and Ex-squared both checked in recently. Must be the holidays. I ignored one. The other is having health issues, and my response ended up being a small book. I always think of him in the healthy as a horse category, and it freaked me out to hear otherwise. He's coming up on 65, so I shouldn't be surprised that the occasional health issue arises. But really, if you could see this man - from the neck down, he doesn't look a day over 40.

Even though the cool weather is getting me out of the house more, the sun has changed, and I've been feeling sluggish. So, I've ditched alcohol for a while and started back up on supplements.

The mango tango sorbet is a disappointment. It's too sweet. I think the problem is the added sugar. So far with the fruit flavors, I had tried lemon and rasperry which I loved. Both are tart by nature, so the added sugar enhances the flavor. Mangos are already sweet, so the added sugar makes it taste like baby food to me. Oh well. I think if I mix it with some plain yogurt, it will be nice. (It is.)

Some reminders about spices:

Fortunately for me, I love all three of those, and I love them together in one dish. A little tomato product, creature of choice, rice, and a dollop of yogurt, and I'm good. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet a couple of poached eggs could substitute for the creature. I have had eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce and they rock.

News. It's the end of the year, and so time to round up those who took themselves out of the gene pool as Darwin predicted. This is a look back: The Darwin Awards: 20 years of lethal stupidity - Telegraph

The gallery:

Ham, avocado, eggs - beautiful and yummy.

Source: Greens and Ham Breakfast Bowl

Peace, love, and Darwin,
          J
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Yummy breakfast there, Joanie.
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
              Yummy breakfast there, Joanie.
              Isn't it beautiful? Add a couple more eggs and it's supper.

How are you? What is Annieh doing these days?

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Gel-oh!

My first gel-oh experiment. The general ratio of gelatin to liquid is 1 Tblsp gelatin: 2 cups liquid. But after perusing various recipes, it appeared that if your liquid isn't clear, you might need more gelatin. Also, logically, it's better if the final product is more solid than if it's too liquid, so I changed it up a bit.

What you need:
                • 3/4 cup of water (room to fridge temp)
                • 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder (if you use the good stuff with no flavoring, so much the better)
                • 3/4 cups mango sorbet (this is a sorbet with just the fruit, some pectin, and some cane sugar)
                • 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
                • 1/2 cup cold water (room to fridge temp)
                • 1/2 cup water just under boiling

• A pot to heat the 1/2 cup of just under boiling water.
                • A bowl to bloom and prepare the gelatin and to add the stuff you're going to gel.
                • A blender.

In a blender, I put:

3/4 cup of water
                2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder (340 calories; 60 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 14 grams carbs)
                3/4 cups mango sorbet (75 calories; 16 grams of carb)

To get the gelatin ready, in a bowl that would easily hold more than two and half cups of product, I put:

2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin (70 calories; 18 grams of protein)
                1/2 cup cold water

I stirred this until it was gooey. It gels quickly.

Once that was gelled, I added:

1/2 cup water just under boiling.

Stir this in until the gelatin is liquified and clear. The best way to test this is to smear some on the side of the bowl. If it's clear, you're good.

Then:

I blended everything in the blender, and added it into the liquified gelatin. Stir thoroughly or you'll get lumps. I put all of it into a container I have that is sandwich size, but it would also be fine in ice cube trays, or divided up into single serving portions.

Refrigerate for 3+ hours. It will probably be set in two, but it's definitely done in three hours. This came out like a gel-oh rather than a gummy.

The following is for the whole recipe, (so portions will vary depending on how you portion it out):

Calories: 490
                Protein: 94 grams
                Carbs: 30 grams
                Fat: 6 grams
                There is a discrepancy there, but I just went by what was on the nutritional info on each product. If the macros are correct, the total recipe has 550 calories.

I like this. It tastes a bit cloying while it's still liquid, but very good once it gels.

Future treats will be coffee and blueberry (two different treats, not blueberry and coffee mixed together).

News. No news for gelatin treats. But here's a good link for recipes and ideas: The Ultimate Homemade Real Food Gummies Recipe Collection | Real Food Family - Natural Health and Healing

The gallery: Some vintage jello pics of course.

This is the color my recipe turned out.

Peace, love, and gel-oh!
                J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• The incredible, edible egg!

Eggs.

As the Egg Council once advertised, the incredible, edible egg. Though I sometimes forget, I love these little self-contained nuggets of nutrition and deliciosity. Soft or hard boiled, pickled, poached, fried, basted, or scrambled. (Did I miss any?) And I love that they help hold meat loaves together. I know another, though it's a subset of scrambled - in stir fry, gently scrambled (and in broth, gently scrambled). If I were a baker, I'm sure I'd love them even more. With ground beef and spinach, eggs are an Original Joe's Special - fantfreakintastic!

On to the health stuff:
                  • Most of us who even casually read the blog and other forums now know that neither eggs nor other dietary cholesterol are harmful. Not only that, but eggs may improve the ratio of HDL:LDL.
                  • Eggs contain large amounts of the antioxidants Lutein and Zeaxanthine, which dramatically lower your risk of age-related eye disorders.
                  • Eggs contain all 9 essential amino acids, are highly concentrated with vitamins and minerals and are among the best sources of choline you can get. Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs are best.
                  • Eggs are a nutritious, protein rich food with a strong impact on satiety.
                  • Eggs are among the best dietary sources of choline, a nutrient that is incredibly important but most people arenít getting enough of. Choline is used to build cell membranes and has a role in producing signalling molecules in the brain, along with various other functions.

Source(s):
                  Why Are Eggs Good For You? An Egg-ceptional Superfood
                  10 Proven Health Benefits of Eggs (No. 1 is My Favorite)

In fact, my only b*tch about eggs is when people call them a great source of protein. According to Cronometer, one large egg contains 71 calories, 6.3 grams of protein, and 4.8 grams of fat. This means that calories from protein = 25.2 (35%). Calories from fat = 43.2 (61%). There is a tiny bit of carb in an egg which accounts for the missing two and a half calories. When I analyze a good source of protein, I tend to use an artificial construct. I ask, "How much of this item would I have to eat to get my daily dose of protein."

Using 80 grams/protein per day, which is almost twice as much as the gub'ment says for women, and a little under what I aim for, I'd have to eat a tiny bit over 12 and a half eggs. The calories from that would be about 901. In addition, while it's still easy to find cheap CAFO eggs at the grocery store, in some cities, pastured eggs are creeping to within pennies of $6/dozen, making them not so cheap. (I now also know how old people can get cranky: in the year of my birth, eggs cost 61cents/dozen. LOL)

In contrast, it would take about 13 and a third ounces of 95/5 ground beef to get my 80 grams of protein. The ratio of protein to fat would pretty much swap. And the calories would only be 493. That's a huge difference. And what about cost? $5.99 for the dozen pastured eggs vs $6.65 for 13 and a third oz of grass fed 95/5 ground beef. (I don't know about anyone else, but I'd gladly spend an extra 65cents to save just over 400 calories. (And pork loin is even better as far as just protein.))

But woman does not live by 95/5 ground beef alone. And one thing about eggs that is almost magic is the satiation they bring. On a night when I'm so lazy that I'd happily drink my supper, a few scrambled eggs with a little dried oregano, cooked in a mere teaspoon of butter fills me much more than it looks like it's going to.

And so, I remain a big fan of the incredible, edible egg. So much so that I even think chickens are adorable.

The gallery:

Don't let the goal of perfection stymie you.
                  Anything from seven to 13 minutes tastes luscious.

Poached. Drool.

Perfectly fried. So pretty!

Scrambled. My go-to easy meal. (More drooling.)

From my childhood.

Which came first?

Peace, love, and eggs,
                  J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Omelette-ified

Comment

• LOVED the egg info. Thx so much!! I read to DH who still has wrong ideas of high cholesterol, etc.
                      Like you, I will need something to eat, 2 scrambled eggs in a tad of duck fat, omg, so good, and satisfies like nothing else!!
                      Chickens are so cool. I hold one or 2 every week when I go to collect our eggs.
                      I brought bags of mealy worms for treats for them yesterday. Farmer John couldn't believe the chickens got Christmas gifts.

Comment

• Joanie - you are such an interesting woman. Love getting my Joanie education. Thank you.
                        Female back to the basics: 5-2017
                        CW: 2017: 150
                        GW: 130 a dream, I know
                        Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

• 3 slices of bacon diced and fried, 1/4 onion sliced and cooked in bacon fat, add any other veggies you want, sometimes I add diced potato. Dump in a bowl leaving fat behind. Fry 2 over easy eggs ad put over bacon concoction. Add cheese as desired. Break yolks and let the golden goodness seep over the bacon and veggies. Yummy!!
                          Female 55
                          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by MuchLove View Post
                            Omelette-ified
                            How could I forget that? Love them. Bacon, sour cream, avocado - all wrapped in a beautiful snuggie of egg.

I also forgot baked like the little cupcake sized "muffin" snacks.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                            LOVED the egg info. Thx so much!! I read to DH who still has wrong ideas of high cholesterol, etc.
                            Like you, I will need something to eat, 2 scrambled eggs in a tad of duck fat, omg, so good, and satisfies like nothing else!!
                            Chickens are so cool. I hold one or 2 every week when I go to collect our eggs.
                            I brought bags of mealy worms for treats for them yesterday. Farmer John couldn't believe the chickens got Christmas gifts.
                            That made me smile. In my post, I almost wrote, "Hug a chicken as often as possible," but I thought it might be taken as a double entendre.

Duck fat is divine and decadent - definitely a treat around here.

Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
                            Joanie - you are such an interesting woman. Love getting my Joanie education. Thank you.
                            Thank you! I read your journal every day, and I'm so impressed with how active and social you are. It gives me faith that the decade I am rapidly approaching will be just as good as this one was.

Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                            3 slices of bacon diced and fried, 1/4 onion sliced and cooked in bacon fat, add any other veggies you want, sometimes I add diced potato. Dump in a bowl leaving fat behind. Fry 2 over easy eggs ad put over bacon concoction. Add cheese as desired. Break yolks and let the golden goodness seep over the bacon and veggies. Yummy!!
                            Yummy indeed! Yolk seeping onto almost anything makes it better. And now that SPAM has changed its recipe, I really should start thinking about buying the occasional pack of bacon.

--------------------

Just an anecdotal thing on eggs. My grandmother lived to be 86. I've wracked my brain, and I can't remember her ever eating anything except a couple of scrambled eggs for breakfast (maybe some pancakes if my father was cooking for the gang). Often with bacon. And though she needed glasses in her 80s, I bet the eggs still had helped. She had done seamstress work for 40+ years, and did needlepoint as a hobby, both very eye-straining, close-up work - I'm guessing that would strain anyone's eyes. Maybe the eggs kept her from going blind? Those Depression Era Folks sure ate smart. (Pardon my grammar, Gran'ma.)

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Pardon, I think I'm going to go make some eggs now.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• How to boil an egg, the Heston Blumenthal way | Life and style | The Guardian
                                The trick is not to boil the egg in boiling water.
                                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Working...
                                X