Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving back at you, Pam!

LOL - I didn't think it was all for you. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Happy Thanksgiving. When I go to the trouble of braving the liquor store I almost always get a bottle Titos. Never know when you might need vodka.......
    Female 55
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Onion and caper cream cheese, oysters why does that sound so good right now?

Happy Thanksgiving Joanie!
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
        Happy Thanksgiving. When I go to the trouble of braving the liquor store I almost always get a bottle Titos. Never know when you might need vodka.......
        I've tasted Titos, and it's pretty danged good. And vodka is that goes with anything alcohol. I've mixed it with anything from grapefruit soda to tomato juice, and it never lets me down. Oh, wait - it doesn't taste good in a whey protein shake - what was I thinking?

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
        Onion and caper cream cheese, oysters why does that sound so good right now?

Happy Thanksgiving Joanie!
        I just took the oysters out from under the broiler - I only broiled them until the edges just started to curl. I added some of the oyster liquor to the cream cheese, then I'll add the oysters.

For the platform, I went for what I figured was the lesser of two evils. Both crackers and corn chips have a whole list of crap. But I love crackers and would be hard pressed to throw them away after having my non-paleo Thanksgiving. Chips are easy to throw away because they're cheap. So, it's a dip.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the guys!
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• That sounds yummy! I pretty much like oysters prepared any way; raw, deep fried in cornmeal, smoked and as mentioned in oyster stuffing. I'm getting pretty hungry, I'm trying not to eat until dinner (which will be early today). I've almost succeeed, I've had a cup of coffee with milk and gelatin, cup of tea with milk and chunk of cheese.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• We've devoured everything and except for the GF cornbread dressing and a taste of the pink salad, I stayed pretty clean.....well and the one Hawaiian roll.
            Here is the pic of salad as promised

image.jpg
            Last edited by Pedidoc; 11-27-2014, 04:03 PM.
            Female 55

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              That sounds yummy! I pretty much like oysters prepared any way; raw, deep fried in cornmeal, smoked and as mentioned in oyster stuffing. I'm getting pretty hungry, I'm trying not to eat until dinner (which will be early today). I've almost succeeed, I've had a cup of coffee with milk and gelatin, cup of tea with milk and chunk of cheese.
              I'm with you on the oysters. Fortunately, almost any restaurant here that serves them usually has both a take on Rockefeller, and a house special. In addition to raw. Yum.

Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
              We've devoured everything and except for the GF cornbread dressing and a taste of the pink salad, I stayed pretty clean.....well and the one Hawaiian roll.
              Here is the pic of salad as promised

[ATTACH]17899[/ATTACH]
              Though I know that tasted good, because you gave us the ingredients prior, I have to admit that it's more alarming looking than I'd have imagined. Which wouldn't for one second keep me from eating it, especially on a holiday. Cherries good!
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• It's definitely not the prettiest salad! Raw oysters - yummy.
                Female 55

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                  It's definitely not the prettiest salad! Raw oysters - yummy.
                  I once posted something something that had come out totally delicious, but wasn't at all photogenic. I think it was Dave that said something like he thought it was one of my experiments (like the rotten pepper). I got a huge belly laugh out of that.

Love raw oysters. But when I get them shucked and in a container, it's kind of overwhelming to eat them raw. Totally a mental thing on my part.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• The day after Thanksgiving.

Yesterday went smoothly. Relaxing. I took a walk around the neighborhood and flashed a big smile and said, "Happy Thanksgiving," to everyone I saw. A couple of neighbors stopped by to wish me a happy. The burgers were fantastic, and even more so than usual because I splashed a bit of sweet vermouth in the pan and let it burn off while they cooked. Crispy, juicy burgers. I'd found an avocado on my travels, so one was topped with brie, and the other with avocado. The bagels were a bit larger than last time I ordered from that vendor, so I did them open-faced. And the oyster dip was heaven. Amazingly, I didn't overdo it on the sweets. There's still a pint and a half of the sorbet left (out of two), one biscotti (of the two I ordered), and the few Manhattans that I had went from 2:1 whiskey:sweet vermouth to whiskey with a splash of sweet vermouth.

I saved the liquor from the oysters, wondering what I'd do with it. Learning experience: while it might have made a good shooter with vodka, it was just plain weird with whiskey. *chuckle* So, I'm thinking that I'll add it to some veggie broth when I defrost my next serving.

And though I didn't binge, I feel a bit stuffed.

There's always going to be an audit. A friend of mine once regaled me with a story about breaking bad habits. Though he's a complete nutcase himself, his degrees are in psychology/counseling, so he occasionally has some wise tidbit about behavior. Anyway, he'd worked with a man who had finally decided he was ready to quit smoking. This was a very tough struggle for the man because, in addition to being a habit, smoking was also a crutch for when he was stressed. And struggle through, he did. After about five months, my friend walked outside to see his co-worker sitting on a bench smoking. He asked the man what had happened. The man told him that he was being auditted by the IRS. "Man, there's always going to be an audit."

And that's the thing with our crutches. There's always a reason to use them. I see this in myself sometimes. I used to use eating as a crutch. I drink more when I'm bored. The eating crutch is much tougher to break I think because it's so acceptable. The parent who calms a crying child with a cookie. The PMS crankies and urges for sweets happening at the same time must send some weird message to the brain. We talk about comfort foods. And certainly, there are more destructive crutches; indulging in dangerous behavior or cutting one's self are two that come to mind. But a crutch can become a habit all too easily. Because unless one leads a truly charmed life, life is going to occasionally, sometimes often, hand us the equivalent of an IRS audit. I need to remember that.

Recommend a cheese. I have totally decided to do a 12 Cheeses of Christmas celebration for myself. So, if you have any favorites, please recommend them to me. I'll probably be using Whole Foods for my selection because not only do they have nice small portions, but the nearest cheese shop is pretty expensive in comparison. Thanks in advance!

Haiku 28 of 30:

Cheese, glorious cheese
                    12 cheeses in 12 days yum
                    Cows work overtime!

30 Haiku in November. Post 'em here if you want to, even if you don't want to do all 30.

The gallery:

The day after Thanksgiving is for hangin' around.

Who amongst us hasn't felt this on occasion?

You know you've become famous when
                    your name becomes a part of speech.

Peace, love, and hangin' around,
                    J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• I worked one Christmas in a cheese shop. I love the creaminess of havarti and the nuttiness of Gouda.
                      Female 55

Comment

• LOVE Bellavitano Sartori Cheese - BellaVitano Gold

Comment

• Drunken Goat from Spain. Whole Foods carries it. (You may remember I am an aficionado of all things goat.) Also Beemster from Holland. Also goat.

You may already know that Kerrygold makes fine cheddar in addition to butter.
                          My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Cambozola and gjebost(carmelized goat cheese) are two of my favorites. Also, just about anything from Cowgirl Creamery.

Comment

• White Stilton with ginger and mango ....

Comment

• Any of the Beehive cheeses. Their creamery is about 10 miles from where I live, and I've had a tour. It's a family owned business, they get their milk from local grass-fed cows (with a little grain supplement because, y'know, winter=snow).

Their cheese has won World Cheese awards, and Whole Foods sells it! Here's their website if you want to check it out: Home | Beehive Cheese

If you can't find it at Whole Foods, they've got a deal of free FedEx ground shipping that's good until Dec. 5th.

I'm 90% paleo and probably 9.99% of the remaining is because of Beehive cheese...

Comment

Working...
                                X