Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The one with the capers reminds me a little of a pork terrine someone made last Christmas Eve. It was so yummy! I am thinking of trying to make one when we get back from Hawaii. It was kind of was like this one but the meat was rougher cut and gelatinous: Pork terrine: Recipes: Good Food Channel

    Comment


    • I would totally eat all that stuff except for the spaghettios. I'd leave the crackers behind also. Yep, I'm on the gelatin bandwagon. I'm thinking it's a great way to make some different lunches.

      I'm practically living on soup and looking back over my food journal, I was eating lots of homemade soup when I was losing weight like crazy. Hmmmmmmmmmm. I have turkey soup going right now. Feeling very primal as the broth is from the same turkey carcass.

      I'm with you on the price of bones...ai yi yi. The bones cost more than the meat does! I don't even live in hipsterville!
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

      Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Comment


      • There's absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of meaty jelly...and pork jelly is really, really good. I think I might make a pastry-free pork pie (a terrine, then) as a special Crimbo treat (cannot buy good ones here for love nor money - Australians are completely perplexed by the concept of a picnic pie. Heathens).

        Recipe: How to make a pork pie the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall way
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

        Comment


        • I just read through the recipe and I am completely speechless. I could actually taste the meatiness. I must make a paleo version.
          My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

          Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

          Comment


          • The pastry - if you were to indulge - is sublime too. A hot water crust is a thing of beauty.
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

            Comment


            • on the bone and feet supply/demand, if it gets bad price wise i could set up an 'extra bits' ring

              ox tail & pig feet and tails are still cheap here. i could get my heisenberg on.

              also, i'm still traumatized by my jello experiment

              yes, still

              i am a baby
              beautiful
              yeah you are

              Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

              Comment


              • LILEKS (James) :: Institute :: Gallery :: Meat Curing at Home

                This a hot topic around our house lately. Hubby has decided that he wants to butcher one of our pigs himself. We just got a meat grinder so with any luck I'll proudly be displaying my sausages just like the mom in the link!

                I thought some of the food in The Gallery of Regretable Food sounded pretty good, it's just that the photography made it look un appetizing. Let's face it Cassoulet is not going to win any prizes for it's looks, but is it yummy? Heck yeah!!!!!!!!
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                  The one with the capers reminds me a little of a pork terrine someone made last Christmas Eve. It was so yummy! I am thinking of trying to make one when we get back from Hawaii. It was kind of was like this one but the meat was rougher cut and gelatinous: Pork terrine: Recipes: Good Food Channel
                  That looks yum! WFoods sells some things that I think of as terrines, but they call them rustic pate. Where are you headed in Hawaii? Are you going to take a helicopter ride? SCUBA? Snorkel? Surf?

                  Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                  I would totally eat all that stuff except for the spaghettios. I'd leave the crackers behind also. Yep, I'm on the gelatin bandwagon. I'm thinking it's a great way to make some different lunches.

                  I'm practically living on soup and looking back over my food journal, I was eating lots of homemade soup when I was losing weight like crazy. Hmmmmmmmmmm. I have turkey soup going right now. Feeling very primal as the broth is from the same turkey carcass.

                  I'm with you on the price of bones...ai yi yi. The bones cost more than the meat does! I don't even live in hipsterville!
                  I even used to do soup with frozen veggies and some kind of meat when I was shopping mostly at normal grocery stores. Then the hot weather sets in and I stop. Then, surprise - it's winter, and I'm slurping away.

                  I read about a restaurant in NYC that has this never ending bone broth going. They never throw it away; they just keep adding bones and simmering (and chilling overnight of course). One of the employees said that the stuff was so gelatinous when cool, that if it ever fell on the floor, it would probably bounce back on to the counter. *chuckle*

                  Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of meaty jelly...and pork jelly is really, really good. I think I might make a pastry-free pork pie (a terrine, then) as a special Crimbo treat (cannot buy good ones here for love nor money - Australians are completely perplexed by the concept of a picnic pie. Heathens).

                  Recipe: How to make a pork pie the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall way
                  We in the mainstream US don't usually put jellied savory things on our love lists, but now that I've had both chicken feet and pigs' feet, I'm a convert on squishy meat flavored things. And that Pork Pie looks stellar!

                  Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                  I just read through the recipe and I am completely speechless. I could actually taste the meatiness. I must make a paleo version.
                  +1 fersure!

                  Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                  The pastry - if you were to indulge - is sublime too. A hot water crust is a thing of beauty.
                  I think I suck at most things pastry. "Does not follow instructions well." <---me.

                  Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                  on the bone and feet supply/demand, if it gets bad price wise i could set up an 'extra bits' ring

                  ox tail & pig feet and tails are still cheap here. i could get my heisenberg on.

                  also, i'm still traumatized by my jello experiment

                  yes, still

                  i am a baby
                  Maybe, but a smart baby. Our nearest IKEA is in TX and about 350 miles from here. I've seen an ad on craigslist of a couple that take orders, add like 10 or 15% and will take orders and drive to IKEA like twice a month and deliver the stuff you order. So, if you set up something like that for bones and offal, you might get some takers. I haven't checked out grocery store prices, so those were all pastured and/or grass fed.

                  Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  LILEKS (James) :: Institute :: Gallery :: Meat Curing at Home

                  This a hot topic around our house lately. Hubby has decided that he wants to butcher one of our pigs himself. We just got a meat grinder so with any luck I'll proudly be displaying my sausages just like the mom in the link!

                  I thought some of the food in The Gallery of Regrettable Food sounded pretty good, it's just that the photography made it look un appetizing. Let's face it Cassoulet is not going to win any prizes for it's looks, but is it yummy? Heck yeah!!!!!!!!
                  I agree totally. One thing I didn't know was that hot dogs once came in cans. And they'd shove a plastic packet of mild barbecue sauce down the middle. I think I giggled for a full minute on that one. But back in the day of four-color advertising, not a lot of food, good or bad, was going to look good.

                  Awesome on the meat grinder! Meat in tube form is one of my favorites. And kudos to your husband for wanting to butcher! It's not an easy task.

                  ------------------

                  I just placed an order for some grass fed ground beef, cubed pork, a pound of shucked oysters, and a beef tongue (among other non-animal things). It arrives Wednesday, so I'm guessing that I'm not having turkey on Thanksgiving. I was thinking of checking out sales on Saturday for turkey and maybe roasting one then breaking it down to one-person portions for the freezer.
                  Last edited by JoanieL; 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                  B*tch-lite

                  Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                  Comment


                  • I read about a restaurant in NYC that has this never ending bone broth going. They never throw it away; they just keep adding bones and simmering (and chilling overnight of course). One of the employees said that the stuff was so gelatinous when cool, that if it ever fell on the floor, it would probably bounce back on to the counter. *chuckle*



                    I dont' remember exactly where....I think it might have been a Bill Bryson book - the author wrote something about a relations' never-ending omnipresent stock pot on the back of the stove. Legend had it the stock was years and years old...and when the pot was finally emptied and cleaned, an old wool sock was found in the detrius on the bottom. The family figured that was Grandma's magic ingredient.

                    Comment


                    • Not eaten a pork pie since I gave up the dreaded wheat, but I was partial to a Gala pie as well, back in those days, oh well....

                      UF, homemade sausages are tip top as is cassoulet....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                        Not eaten a pork pie since I gave up the dreaded wheat, but I was partial to a Gala pie as well, back in those days, oh well....

                        UF, homemade sausages are tip top as is cassoulet....
                        That pie looks like Spam with eggs..... which would be, how you say, ding dong.. lol

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          That pie looks like Spam with eggs..... which would be, how you say, ding dong.. lol
                          Lol, that would sum um up, pretty well sir....

                          Comment


                          • When we lived in Italy, the farmers we rented our house from butchered a pig. I have vivid memories of helping string it up to drain and making salami as a 7-year old. Of course I also went to the two room village school over the cheese making factory and counted myself lucky to get a ride home in an ox pulled cart!
                            Female 55
                            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

                            With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

                            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Shelli View Post
                              I dont' remember exactly where....I think it might have been a Bill Bryson book - the author wrote something about a relations' never-ending omnipresent stock pot on the back of the stove. Legend had it the stock was years and years old...and when the pot was finally emptied and cleaned, an old wool sock was found in the detrius on the bottom. The family figured that was Grandma's magic ingredient.
                              LOLOL! That's one of those stories that could give me nightmares. I already have a thing about drinking out of cans because I can't see what's on the bottom.

                              Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                              Not eaten a pork pie since I gave up the dreaded wheat, but I was partial to a Gala pie as well, back in those days, oh well....

                              UF, homemade sausages are tip top as is cassoulet....
                              That Gala pie looks fantastic. *drool* My mom used to put whole hard boiled eggs in meat loaf. In an effort to get me to eat eggs. I used to tease her that they weren't very well hidden. Now, eggs make everything better.

                              Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              That pie looks like Spam with eggs..... which would be, how you say, ding dong.. lol
                              Oh! My darling SPAM
                              Squishy, slimy, salty, pink
                              Perfect with fried eggs.

                              Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                              Lol, that would sum um up, pretty well sir....


                              Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                              When we lived in Italy, the farmers we rented our house from butchered a pig. I have vivid memories of helping string it up to drain and making salami as a 7-year old. Of course I also went to the two room village school over the cheese making factory and counted myself lucky to get a ride home in an ox pulled cart!
                              How fantastic! You were lucky.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                              B*tch-lite

                              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                              Comment


                              • We are going to Oahu. We plan on doing the normal touristy things plus lots of reading in a cabana on the beach or our lanai since we were able to get an ocean front place and I have to limit my sun exposure still. We will have a full kitchen too so I will be preparing lots of fresh fish and local fruit.

                                So I have a question for our gf English friends: what do you do for Christmas pudding? I love it but haven't had it in years because of the gluten. Or maybe it is just the brandy butter I love?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X