B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    One more thing. Though not really jello recipes, I thought this article was a hoot: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariannarebol...intage-recipes
    The creators of these dishes probably should have channeled their creative energy into another medium. Personally I don't like to have my food handled that much. Any recipe that mixes flavored sweet jello with savory is just wrong, no matter how cute you decorate it.

I didn't grow up eating jello salads, my mom sometimes made jello but it was just served plain. When I visited the Midwest in my twenties I encountered the phenomenon for the first time at a church potluck I was so astounded by the variety that I had to purchase the recipe book they were selling.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Hate to say it, but I have had black coffee jelly (in cubes with cinnamon ice cream) and it's brilliant.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• My mom used to make a jello "salad" with lime jello, cabbage and pineapple that I loved. I would it eat it today if someone else made it.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
          Hate to say it, but I have had black coffee jelly (in cubes with cinnamon ice cream) and it's brilliant.
          ^^^This I would like. It is not remotely similar to seafood salad with mayo and lime jello.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Oh, dear lord, some of those were gross!!
            be bold with bananas was my fave

Comment

• Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
              Gag===OMG!
              I have mixed feelings about these jiggly creations. On the one hand, we in the paleo community extol the virtues of gelatin. OTOH, flavored gelatins probably contain crap ingredients. I'll do a search later to see how contaminated flavored gelatin is. During my search of all of these, I did run into an old advertisement where Jell-o was bragging about being the company that added flavor to gelatin.

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              The creators of these dishes probably should have channeled their creative energy into another medium. Personally I don't like to have my food handled that much. Any recipe that mixes flavored sweet jello with savory is just wrong, no matter how cute you decorate it.

I didn't grow up eating jello salads, my mom sometimes made jello but it was just served plain. When I visited the Midwest in my twenties I encountered the phenomenon for the first time at a church potluck I was so astounded by the variety that I had to purchase the recipe book they were selling.
              My mother only made it as the occasional plain dessert also. But, I have to agree that adding lemon jello to mashed salmon and mayonnaise diminishes them all.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              Hate to say it, but I have had black coffee jelly (in cubes with cinnamon ice cream) and it's brilliant.
              That is one (besides the one I referred to as fruit cake without the cake) that looks pretty good to me.

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
              My mom used to make a jello "salad" with lime jello, cabbage and pineapple that I loved. I would it eat it today if someone else made it.
              This one has carrots also, but it would be easy enough to leave them out: Lime Jello Cabbage Salad Recipe - Food.com

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              ^^^This I would like. It is not remotely similar to seafood salad with mayo and lime jello.
              LOL - I'm not sure that mayo and lime jello should ever be in the same sentence.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
              Oh, dear lord, some of those were gross!!
              be bold with bananas was my fave
              Based only on my experience, a bold banana is much more satisfying than a shy banana.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• There is such a thing as salmon mousse made with gelatin and it's quite good.

Salmon Mousse Recipe | Martha Stewart

Comment

• Confession: when I am in Blighty I eat at least one pork pie (Melton Mowbray for preference) a day. If I am feeling virtuous, I leave the pastry (but lick the meat jelly - the best bit - off).

Ah, my father once delivered some furniture to Aunt P's house in London. She was away, but told him to help himself to anything in the cupboard. Hungry after his travails, my father opened the larder. There was one jar on the shelf and one jar only...

...bumblebees in aspic.

He went on his way still hungry. The story later morphed so that it was a jar of bumblebees' knees in aspic (as if the real story was not odd enough).
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                    There is such a thing as salmon mousse made with gelatin and it's quite good.

Salmon Mousse Recipe | Martha Stewart
                    I'm sure it is - just not lemon or lime jello!

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                    Confession: when I am in Blighty I eat at least one pork pie (Melton Mowbray for preference) a day. If I am feeling virtuous, I leave the pastry (but lick the meat jelly - the best bit - off).

Ah, my father once delivered some furniture to Aunt P's house in London. She was away, but told him to help himself to anything in the cupboard. Hungry after his travails, my father opened the larder. There was one jar on the shelf and one jar only...

...bumblebees in aspic.

He went on his way still hungry. The story later morphed so that it was a jar of bumblebees' knees in aspic (as if the real story was not odd enough).
                    LOL - at first I thought you meant tuna because there's a large brand of canned tuna here called Bumblebee. But it was real bees! Interesting food.

P.S. I'm looking at jello molds on Amazon.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• I feel like a real buzzkiller here, but savory aspic is quite delicious and very healthy. At one time, not so long ago, jello in a package did not exist. The only way to have clear gelatin was by a laborious, time-consuming process that involved considerable skill. It was the mark of a prosperous household to serve such a dish. Now those little colorful boxes have made gelatin rather declasse, but being somewhat contrary I had to chime in with this historical tidbit.

My mom made jello with all kinds of stuff in it - cottage cheese, green beans. I loved it. I'm sure I would eat it if she made it today as long as she didn't make the kind with artificial sweetener. Also, when I make a really good gelatinous batch of bone broth, I simply cut it into cubes and eat it cold. Love it. My gel cubes, of course, are not clear.

I would not, however, have eaten the bees.
                      Last edited by The Walrus; 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM.
                      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• My mom was very creative with Jello and still insists upon making a Jello salad of some sort for all family gatherings because it is 'tradition' and more likely because I guess she really likes them. Also, I grew up in Utah where all gatherings required about 20 varieties of Jello salads with all varieties of additions.

Mom's favorite was 3 layer made in a 9 x 13 glass casserole: bottom layer was usually green with either pineapple rings or mandarin oranges, middle was usually yellow or orange mixed with yogurt (fruit on the bottom style), and top layer was typically red and clear or maybe more fruit... and since there was always cool whip on the table, topping was certainly an option, but Mom did not top it.

She also did a version with shredded carrots and mayo, not sure what the other layers were, and in a pinch, she would buy the pre-made version that came in a ring and was Jello and cool whip (at least I presume that is what was in there...)
                        M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                        - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                          I feel like a real buzzkiller here, but savory aspic is quite delicious and very healthy. At one time, not so long ago, jello in a package did not exist. The only way to have clear gelatin was by a laborious, time-consuming process that involved considerable skill. It was the mark of a prosperous household to serve such a dish. Now those little colorful boxes have made gelatin rather declasse, but being somewhat contrary I had to chime in with this historical tidbit.

My mom made jello with all kinds of stuff in it - cottage cheese, green beans. I loved it. I'm sure I would eat it if she made it today as long as she didn't make the kind with artificial sweetener. Also, when I make a really good gelatinous batch of bone broth, I simply cut it into cubes and eat it cold. Love it. My gel cubes, of course, are not clear.

I would not, however, have eaten the bees.
                          No buzzkill for me. I'm actually thinking that doing one of these creations or a riff on one might be a way to get canned tuna back into my life. The tomato aspic could be done with a good tomato paste instead of concentrated tomato soup. And I'll try coffee in just about anything.

Originally posted by Meant2Move View Post
                          My mom was very creative with Jello and still insists upon making a Jello salad of some sort for all family gatherings because it is 'tradition' and more likely because I guess she really likes them. Also, I grew up in Utah where all gatherings required about 20 varieties of Jello salads with all varieties of additions.

Mom's favorite was 3 layer made in a 9 x 13 glass casserole: bottom layer was usually green with either pineapple rings or mandarin oranges, middle was usually yellow or orange mixed with yogurt (fruit on the bottom style), and top layer was typically red and clear or maybe more fruit... and since there was always cool whip on the table, topping was certainly an option, but Mom did not top it.

She also did a version with shredded carrots and mayo, not sure what the other layers were, and in a pinch, she would buy the pre-made version that came in a ring and was Jello and cool whip (at least I presume that is what was in there...)
                          I kind of feel deprived that I missed this era in culinary delights. So, perhaps I need to create it for myself. I'm not so into the flavored jello, but plain gelatin to add texture to something is certainly doable.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• What I remember from our family dinners was spices - my maternal grandmother adored lots of seasoning and my mom inherited that, so I grew up eating foods that always had lots of whatever spice went with it, although in many cases, probably more than was really needed. Thanksgiving was traditional but the turkey was well spiced (and thus the skin was super yummy), the dressing (we never called it stuffing and NEVER stuffed - not sure what that was about but I think mom thought it was dangerous) was always very flavorful as was the gravy. We did do the sweet potatoes with marshmellows and brown sugar, often a fruit salad (mostly canned fruits and a sliced apple), and those brown and serve pull apart rolls which I totally adored (and if I am honest, would probably still eat with a huge pat of melting butter).

But, because turkey day was inherently a little bland, we always made something "with real flavor" the next day - lasagna or spaghetti with yummy tomato/ground beef sauce, or tacos (corn tortillas, heavily seasoned ground beef, chopped veggies).

When I started going to hubs family gatherings, the hardest thing to get used to was the total lack of seasoning. Both his mom and now his sister (who does all the hostessing for family gatherings) seem to think that seasoning should be seen (as flecks or sprinkles) but not tasted. Bland, bland, and brown... We don't go for the family gatherings all that often, although we are going this year, so I always take over the kitchen at the in-laws house, and in particular, the day after turkey day, I insist on my old family tradition of making something spicy. I have a hankering for lasagna this year...

At home, we typically did have a traditional pie (pumpkin or pecan), but as I didn't like either one, Mom always made either a chocolate pie or a lemon meringue pie.

One of my favorite holiday memories is one of the years hubs and I were in northern Alabama and so a long way from any family. We drove to a rock climbing area in North Carolina for the long weekend to camp and climb. Our plan was that we would find a restaurant and eat dinner out, but instead had a mini epic on the rock so got back to our truck late and tired and so decided to just eat the hot dogs we had with us. It was a great trip and very typical of how we prefer to spend time together. Well, not the epics so much, but the adventures.
                            M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                            - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Originally posted by Meant2Move View Post
                              What I remember from our family dinners was spices - my maternal grandmother adored lots of seasoning and my mom inherited that, so I grew up eating foods that always had lots of whatever spice went with it, although in many cases, probably more than was really needed. Thanksgiving was traditional but the turkey was well spiced (and thus the skin was super yummy), the dressing (we never called it stuffing and NEVER stuffed - not sure what that was about but I think mom thought it was dangerous) was always very flavorful as was the gravy. We did do the sweet potatoes with marshmellows and brown sugar, often a fruit salad (mostly canned fruits and a sliced apple), and those brown and serve pull apart rolls which I totally adored (and if I am honest, would probably still eat with a huge pat of melting butter).

But, because turkey day was inherently a little bland, we always made something "with real flavor" the next day - lasagna or spaghetti with yummy tomato/ground beef sauce, or tacos (corn tortillas, heavily seasoned ground beef, chopped veggies).

When I started going to hubs family gatherings, the hardest thing to get used to was the total lack of seasoning. Both his mom and now his sister (who does all the hostessing for family gatherings) seem to think that seasoning should be seen (as flecks or sprinkles) but not tasted. Bland, bland, and brown... We don't go for the family gatherings all that often, although we are going this year, so I always take over the kitchen at the in-laws house, and in particular, the day after turkey day, I insist on my old family tradition of making something spicy. I have a hankering for lasagna this year...

At home, we typically did have a traditional pie (pumpkin or pecan), but as I didn't like either one, Mom always made either a chocolate pie or a lemon meringue pie.

One of my favorite holiday memories is one of the years hubs and I were in northern Alabama and so a long way from any family. We drove to a rock climbing area in North Carolina for the long weekend to camp and climb. Our plan was that we would find a restaurant and eat dinner out, but instead had a mini epic on the rock so got back to our truck late and tired and so decided to just eat the hot dogs we had with us. It was a great trip and very typical of how we prefer to spend time together. Well, not the epics so much, but the adventures.
                              I love that you and hubs are most happy when together. A Thanksgiving of hot dogs that can be remembered fondly is a gift, indeed.

We were the sandwich family, so the day after Thanksgiving was usually spent just hanging around in our jammies putting together our own versions of a turkey sandwich on some kind of roll or crispy bread.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• This and that

Garbage Soup Named so because what I use to make it are things that used to go in the garbage, not because it tastes like garbage.

Needed space in my freezer. Needed some kind of broth/soup for a base of things. Didn't want to deal with bone broth. So I took out all the veggie ends, pieces, etc., that I've been saving in the freezer, and threw them in the colander insert I have for my 8-quart pot. Also, threw in the last small cloves of garlic in the fridge.

Dumped in some filtered water, brought to boil, simmered the crap out of it. Pulled out the colander and let it cool in a clean sink. I cubed potato into small pieces, and put them into the pot. I had some pork cut into stew type pieces, so I cut those smaller and add them with the potato. The veggie pieces still in the colander were cool enough to handle, so I picked off any edible pieces and added them to the soup. Simmered for about another hour. Seasoned the soup. Ate a ton of it. Added more potatoes. Ate some more. Froze four one and a half cup portions with no veggies in it. I know it's not bone broth, but it's still useful.

Sometimes I forget how much I love soup. And this might be one of the easiest ways to eat healthfully. Toss some stuff in a pot with water and heat it 'til it's soup. Later note: It's now after midnight, so technically Monday. I've been eating that soup all weekend. Added more meat and potatoes to it, and one and a half tblsp of potato flour and am getting ready to polish off what is now more of a stew. Now that's one-pot cooking.

Bones, Bones, Bones

It was bound to happen. With the rise in popularity of The Paleo Diet, a new trendy food is bone broth. And just like the price of pig's feet has gone up in the last year, so has the price of bones - especially those from grass fed animals, or pastured in the case of pigs and chickens.

One online supplier:
                                Oxtail: $7.59/lb. Meaty Beef Neck Soup Bones: $5.09/lb. Beef Soup T-Bones: $4.09/lb. Beef Leg Marrow Bones: $6.09/lb (which doesn't suck if you compare it to what you'd pay in a restaurant). Beef Knuckle Marrow Bones: $4.89/lb. Goat shanks or goat soup bones: $6.19/lb. Pork meaty neck or soup bones: $3.09/lb. Chicken feet: $3.09/lb. Chicken carcassees: $2.89/lb.

Good Eggs (in my neck of the woods as price varies depending on the city/vendor): $7.99/lb for pig trotters. And though not available this week: $6.99/lb for beef soup bones.

US Wellness, never billed as a budget vendor has beef, lamb, pork, and bison bones. Prices range from about $6/lb to a whopping $8/lb for the bison bones. I used to buy them when they were $5/lb from them, but unless the bison got a union, there's a place they can put those bones that gets no sun.

For bones. Yes, supply and demand. I respect it, and if I had a product that went from being the cheap stuff I practically gave to restaurants to suddenly being desired by every trender jumping on the Paleo Wagon, I'd charge the crap out of it. But being on the receiving end of that price increase, I have to say that containers of granulated flavorless gelatin look more appealing than they did a few months ago. Hell, I blew off chicken wings when they got popular and their per pound price exceeded thighs. It will be nothing to blow off this stupid pricing of bones. *grumble, grumble*

Ingredients in flavored gelatin: gelatin, sugar (or artificial sweetener), artificial flavors, and artificial colors. So, probably the best bet if I'm going to start playing with gelatin is to go with unflavored. Then you can sweeten to taste, or make savory dishes, and not try to fit fish with lemon jell-o.

One more link to "vintage" recipes: LILEKS (James) Gallery of Regrettable Food - Some of the comments are a bit douche-y, but most are funny, as are the pics of the food. And since there are so many sections, please read this one: LILEKS (James) :: Institute :: Gallery :: Meat Curing at Home

Haiku 22 of 30:

My brain's too tired
                                To write the three I need to
                                Catch up. Soon, though, soon.

30 Haiku in November. Post 'em here if you want to, even if you don't want to do all 30.

The gallery:

Waldorf Salad

I might need a little liquid courage to try this one.

Are those Spaghetti-O's? Yikes.

Peace, love, and jello,
                                J

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                                X