No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving this year is going to be fairly simple and easy since I had my last round of chemo this week (woohoo) and my energy and appetite will be pretty low. My family is all coming here and taking care of final dinner prep. I ordered a traditional turkey dinner from Whole Foods, along with some gf pies and a ham. There will be vegetables and a salad to round out the meal. Appetizers will be up to them but usually always includes a crudités platter and stuff on crackers. I have rice crackers for me. I am not sure what I will be actually eating since it just depends on what I feel like that day. But the ham is from a heritage pig and sounds pretty tastey so I am hoping I want lots of it!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It has always been about family. We used to go to my great aunt and uncle's farm until I was in my 30s and they could no longer host it. Then I started having it at my house. The food was an important part of it but what I remember most is playing horse shoes with the men, which was a big deal and my great uncle sneaking me my first taste of his home made wine. Sadly, the older generations of my family are gone but now we are passing those traditions on to my nieces and nephews.

I have so much to be thankful for this year! While it was a scary year at times, I have been reminded of the most important things in life are not things but friends and family.

Comment

• Where to start... I come from a big family that loves food, my mom always cooked most of it but later in life we all helped. She was famous for her desserts, she had the basics: pumpkin pies, apple pies and her pound cake and she'd always made something new pecan pies, pear cranberry whatever caught her eye in her food magazines that season.

My preference was the savories. She made the best gravy! She'd have a stock cooking with the giblets and the neck all day, I used to love to sneak a bite of the neck meat when it was very tender. My favorite was her oyster stuffing, I just discovered about 5 years ago that several of my siblings didn't care for it (my husband was in agreement). How did I not know that they thought oyster stuffing was yucky? We'd had it our whole life, to me that was what stuffing was.

There were always things on a cracker, including some sort (it varied) of ripe, almost runny cheese on it's special glass covered board. Lots of wine, artisans breads, sometimes made by me or Hubby sometimes brought by one of my sisters.

Fast forward to present day, most of us don't get together for Thanksgiving we live too far away, some of are no longer with us, 2 family members that live in the same town are no longer speaking to one another. Thanksgiving is somewhat of a let down for me, it's just not like how I remember it; house full of guests, kids running around, tons of good food and games after dinner. I haven't been able to recreate that experience with my family, with the exception of the food. TBH I don't have friends that really embrace the hoilday.

So I'm having Tday at my house we've invited another family, I'm good friends with the mom and the son is the same age as my son, they went to school together for a little while. I hope it goes well, I don't know if our sons will click and the dad can be a bit of a drag. I think he's clinically depressed, I feel bad for him but he can be very opinionated and critical, so not a light hearted addition.

Food will be gluten free but not actually paleo, there will be sugar and dairy and even corn bread in the stuffing. Speaking of stuffing our friends will probably bring wild mushrooms to add to it and we may make some rabbit sausage as well. I do a version of "spatchcocking", I used to do it just like in the link but this year I'm going to debone the whole turkey. I'm going to use the bones to make a very flavorful broth in advance. In our family it's all about the gravy, the gravy must be spectacular. I made a pear/dried cranberry chutney the other day. The dinner will be very basic but everything hopefully will be very tasty. My friend is bringing pumpkin pie and I'm making a chocolate tart and probaby an apple tart as well.

I just wish I knew some fun food lovers to invite!
      Last edited by Urban Forager; 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
        You're very welcome.

Goldie, your shoes remind me another that I LOVE. Ecco. Sharp looking and very comfy!!

ECCO Chase Tie Women's Casual Sneaker (Gravel)

I have a love of shoes and bags that's not very healthy. I have a big closet but still turned a small bedroom into nothing but racks of shoes and bags. DH calls it the shoe store. It does smell fabulous in there

I bought the warm grey Ecco. Gorgeous color.
        My only "fashion quirk" is pretty much black. From undergarments to outerwear I always go for black. But I do love accessorizing with colors. Picture if you will (in Manhattan, no less) a black business suit, hair in a French twist, accompanied by red tights and black cowgirl boots. LOL - I do have my own drum beat.

Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
        Oh - so much to ponder! I like the ending where you just get back on task and that primal is very forgiving and I totally agree.

Things to stay away from in my family meals: brown sugar, creamed marshmallow - sweet potatoes! Whose idea was that? Regular onions seeped in that fake cheese I can't think of the name of now.

Fruit salad is a favorite of my family and costs big in time and $. I buy every type of fruit. My mom always complains about it but the rest of the family know it is a nice family tradition I began years back. Yeah, who the hell puts sugar on their fruit? Oh my family of origin!

Thanks for your post and pondering you have caused.
        Your fruit salad sounds divine! The only time I ever put sugar on fruit was to test it as a preservative. Conclusion: strawberries with sugar last longer in the fridge than those without.

OMG - marshmallows in sweet potatoes! My mom used to do that with maple syrup. WTF? Like sweet potatoes aren't sweet enough on their own. But I'm odd that way. You know how a lot of folks put syrup or sugar on their french toast? I put salt and pepper on mine. Not that I eat it anymore. Much.

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
        Thanksgiving this year is going to be fairly simple and easy since I had my last round of chemo this week (woohoo) and my energy and appetite will be pretty low. My family is all coming here and taking care of final dinner prep. I ordered a traditional turkey dinner from Whole Foods, along with some gf pies and a ham. There will be vegetables and a salad to round out the meal. Appetizers will be up to them but usually always includes a crudités platter and stuff on crackers. I have rice crackers for me. I am not sure what I will be actually eating since it just depends on what I feel like that day. But the ham is from a heritage pig and sounds pretty tastey so I am hoping I want lots of it!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It has always been about family. We used to go to my great aunt and uncle's farm until I was in my 30s and they could no longer host it. Then I started having it at my house. The food was an important part of it but what I remember most is playing horse shoes with the men, which was a big deal and my great uncle sneaking me my first taste of his home made wine. Sadly, the older generations of my family are gone but now we are passing those traditions on to my nieces and nephews.

I have so much to be thankful for this year! While it was a scary year at times, I have been reminded of the most important things in life are not things but friends and family.
        Congrats on the last round of chemo! Oh, and I noticed your weight in another post, so congrats on that also! You're like somewhere between a size zero and a size three now, yes? Look out folks, there's a new slender among us and she's going to be unbearable. LOL - kidding of course. Seriously though, < or = to 120 means white jeans. Maybe even the occasional camel toe. LMAO. (Do married women allow themselves to go out in public with a camel toe?)

It is sad to lose the older family that mean/meant so much to us, but we carry on. They live through us. Our memories and tales of them. "Your grandmother," "Your great aunt," "Your crazy Uncle," bring them alive for the future generations. It's important to know where you came from.

I am also thankful for many things. And one of them is you.

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
        Where to start... I come from a big family that loves food, my mom always cooked most of it but later in life we all helped. She was famous for her desserts, she had the basics: pumpkin pies, apple pies and her pound cake and she'd always made something new pecan pies, pear cranberry whatever caught her eye in her food magazines that season.

My preference was the savories. She made the best gravy! She'd have a stock cooking with the giblets and the neck all day, I used to love to sneak a bite of the neck meat when it was very tender. My favorite was her oyster stuffing, I just discovered about 5 years ago that several of my siblings didn't care for it (my husband was in agreement). How did I not know that they thought oyster stuffing was yucky? We'd had it our whole life, to me that was what stuffing was.

There were always things on a cracker, including some sort (it varied) of ripe, almost runny cheese on it's special glass covered board. Lots of wine, artisans breads, sometimes made by me or Hubby sometimes brought by one of my sisters.

Fast forward to present day, most of us don't get together for Thanksgiving we live too far away, some of are no longer with us, 2 family members that live in the same town are no longer speaking to one another. Thanksgiving is somewhat of a let down for me, it's just not like how I remember it; house full of guests, kids running around, tons of good food and games after dinner. I haven't been able to recreate that experience with my family, with the exception of the food. TBH I don't have friends that really embrace the hoilday.

So I'm having Tday at my house we've invited another family, I'm good friends with the mom and the son is the same age as my son, they went to school together for a little while. I hope it goes well, I don't know if our sons will click and the dad can be a bit of a drag. I think he's clinically depressed, I feel bad for him but he can be very opinionated and critical, so not a light hearted addition.

Food will be gluten free but not actually paleo, there will be sugar and dairy and even corn bread in the stuffing. Speaking of stuffing our friends will probably bring wild mushrooms to add to it and we may make some rabbit sausage as well. I do a version of "spatchcocking", I used to do it just like in the link but this year I'm going to debone the whole turkey. I'm going to use the bones to make a very flavorful broth in advance. In our family it's all about the gravy, the gravy must be spectacular. I made a pear/dried cranberry chutney the other day. The dinner will be very basic but everything hopefully will be very tasty. My friend is bringing pumpkin pie and I'm making a chocolate tart and probaby an apple tart as well.

I just wish I knew some fun food lovers to invite!
        I'm on my way! Kidding, cuz I'm not a stalker. Usually. Mostly. Legally.

My gran'ma never made oyster dressing, and I'm sorry she didn't because I love them raw or in a roasted prep, so I know I'd love them in stuffing/dressing. Pear/cranberry chutney sounds like heaven. You all were much more sophisticated than we were in the Things on Crackers category as my mother didn't know about runny cheeses until later in life.

Deboning a turkey puts me in mind of:

LOL!

Thank you all for taking me into your Holidays Past! *smooch*
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Sweetie and I stay at the 90% paleo mark through the holidays. He's lactose intolerant, so I'll occasionally have cheese, but not very often (and then it's the really good expensive aged stuff).

Thanksgiving menu: turkey, mashed celeriac, gravy from the turkey drippings thickened with a little arrowroot, roasted rutabega, Brussels sprouts with shallots. For dessert, sweet potato pecan pie sweetened with a little honey (crust made with almond flour).

Son and his wife are coming for Christmas, and she's allergic to gluten, so again it will be easy to stick to paleo. Christmas dinner will probably be grass-fed steak, Brussels sprouts again (Sweetie and Son love them, and I like them too), and probably squash in some form. Dessert will probably be dark chocolate.

Joanie, Things on Crackers is easy. Just leave out the crackers. And maybe use a spoon or fork or toothpick, depending on what the Thing is. If you really need a base, slice a sweet potato thinly and bake the slices. Or use carrot "chips". Occasionally I'll slice a sweet potato diagonally in thin slices, bake it, and use the slices as "bread" for sandwiches or hamburger "buns".

Sunny but storms loom
          time to get Christmas lights up,
          sparkling in new snow.

Comment

• Joanie you'd be so welcome! I'd love to show you that gravy isn't "meh"!
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• UF, if I was a little closer, I would be there to test your yummy gravy! I love a tasty gravy!

Joanie, I think you mixed me up with vb66. I have lost a lot of weight but at 5'6" and large framed, 120 would be a little low for me. Not that I will be posting pictures of my glutes all over the place, my butt is looking pretty darn good!

The food everyone is making sounds so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                Sweetie and I stay at the 90% paleo mark through the holidays. He's lactose intolerant, so I'll occasionally have cheese, but not very often (and then it's the really good expensive aged stuff).

Thanksgiving menu: turkey, mashed celeriac, gravy from the turkey drippings thickened with a little arrowroot, roasted rutabega, Brussels sprouts with shallots. For dessert, sweet potato pecan pie sweetened with a little honey (crust made with almond flour).

Son and his wife are coming for Christmas, and she's allergic to gluten, so again it will be easy to stick to paleo. Christmas dinner will probably be grass-fed steak, Brussels sprouts again (Sweetie and Son love them, and I like them too), and probably squash in some form. Dessert will probably be dark chocolate.

Joanie, Things on Crackers is easy. Just leave out the crackers. And maybe use a spoon or fork or toothpick, depending on what the Thing is. If you really need a base, slice a sweet potato thinly and bake the slices. Or use carrot "chips". Occasionally I'll slice a sweet potato diagonally in thin slices, bake it, and use the slices as "bread" for sandwiches or hamburger "buns".

Sunny but storms loom
                time to get Christmas lights up,
                sparkling in new snow.
                Goldie, I'm always impressed by how you've made this so doable. Two+ years in, and I've never tried almond flour. I've tried the tapioca and potato flours, and can work with them a bit, but I know that if I ever want to be 100%, I'm going to have to try one of the many paleo/primal bread recipes out there because I just don't want to give up sandwiches forever. Occasional bread is my 20.

Your meals sound awesome! I also love Brussels sprouts! I like to cut them in half, sizzle up the flat side in hot fat (lard), then because I like them soft, flip them, turn down the heat, and finish them covered so they sort of steam in the fluid they release.

You're right about Things on Crackers. And throughout the year, I usually use a spoon, butter knife, or toothpicks. And of course it's not like I miss some wonderful gourmet cracker. Oh, no, my peasant palette misses those icky Ritz crackers. LOL

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                Joanie you'd be so welcome! I'd love to show you that gravy isn't "meh"!
                I'm sure you would change my mind. I'd eat anything you served with not a reservation. Your description of your meals makes me drool.

Once again (the peasant thing), the only gravy I go out of my way to order (though I don't make it myself) is white sausage gravy. Poured over two fried eggs.

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                UF, if I was a little closer, I would be there to test your yummy gravy! I love a tasty gravy!

Joanie, I think you mixed me up with vb66. I have lost a lot of weight but at 5'6" and large framed, 120 would be a little low for me. Not that I will be posting pictures of my glutes all over the place, my butt is looking pretty darn good!

The food everyone is making sounds so good.
                V, I'm so sorry! My eyes saw a v and a 6. Ack. I'm chuckling at you being the MDA butt of the month gurl. I googled "selfies pathology" one day and got some interesting results.

Keep 'em coming, folks. Stories of holidays past. Recipes of holidays past or this year's. I love to hear/read them.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Mom's bringing a fried turkey - probably bad oil, but I don't want to ask. I will make cornbread and sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, green beans, an obnoxious cool whip and cherry pie filling salad my sons insist on (tradition - oh the things I fed them before I knew better), and deviled eggs. We will nosh on salami, cheese, and olives before the big event. For dessert I make a brown sugar pecan pie and a pumpkin cheesecake. I will taste everything but go heavy on meat, eggs, and allowed veggies. Wine will flow as well.
                  Female 55
                  Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                  Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                    Mom's bringing a fried turkey - probably bad oil, but I don't want to ask. I will make cornbread and sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, green beans, an obnoxious cool whip and cherry pie filling salad my sons insist on (tradition - oh the things I fed them before I knew better), and deviled eggs. We will nosh on salami, cheese, and olives before the big event. For dessert I make a brown sugar pecan pie and a pumpkin cheesecake. I will taste everything but go heavy on meat, eggs, and allowed veggies. Wine will flow as well.
                    Sounds great to me! I've never had fried turkey - I imagine that trying to do it in lard would make the cooking fat almost as expensive as the bird itself. I've always wanted to try it.

If you remember, could you please take a photo of that salad? My mom used to make a casserole of canned candied sweet potatoes, maple syrup, and mini marshmallows. And my second MIL used to get a can of jelled cranberries because my husband liked it. Meanwhile, his sisters sat shaking their heads because they'd both brought their much healthier takes on cranberry sauce. I'd probably love anything with whipped cream and cherry pie filling.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      If you remember, could you please take a photo of that salad? My mom used to make a casserole of canned candied sweet potatoes, maple syrup, and mini marshmallows. And my second MIL used to get a can of jelled cranberries because my husband liked it. Meanwhile, his sisters sat shaking their heads because they'd both brought their much healthier takes on cranberry sauce. I'd probably love anything with whipped cream and cherry pie filling.
                      Fried turkey is very moist and the skin is yum! Salad is easy - container cool whip (guess you could make home made whipped cream), can cherry pie filling, can pineapple tidbits drained, can mandarin oranges drained, mix together well add coconut and/or pecans if desired. Chill. Will take picture for you.
                      Female 55
                      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Joanie - just reading everyone's food from Thanksgivings past made me think of the salad my mom used to make every time. Cream cheese balls rolled in chopped walnuts - sounds good so far, eh? Then suspended in red jello. Just the idea of jello these days makes me sad.
                        Female back to the basics: 11-12-16
                        CW: 10-11-16: 144
                        GW: 130 a dream, I know
                        Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
                          Joanie - just reading everyone's food from Thanksgivings past made me think of the salad my mom used to make every time. Cream cheese balls rolled in chopped walnuts - sounds good so far, eh? Then suspended in red jello. Just the idea of jello these days makes me sad.
                          Even sadder? I tried to find the recipe! LOL. And while I couldn't find that one (I found some with jello topped with cream cheese creations), I found some others that I hope will amuse. Some of these I found just searching images, so the ingredients might not be apparent.

I'm guessing there was some lovely fish mousse at the bottom of this.

An afternoon pick-me-up!

Apparently, this was all the rage at one time.
                          A can of condensed tomato soup and jello.

This one looks like fruitcake without the cake,
                          so I'm all over it!

The epitome of 50s modern time saving recipes,
                          this one got made right in the pineapple can.

Though this looks like someone jelled a fishtank,
                          no fish were killed for this elegant presentation.
                          Those are veggies cut into fish shapes.

Was there anything our moms and grandmas didn't put into jello? It seems not. hahaha

B*tch-lite

Comment

• One more thing. Though not really jello recipes, I thought this article was a hoot: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariannarebol...intage-recipes

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                              Fried turkey is very moist and the skin is yum! Salad is easy - container cool whip (guess you could make home made whipped cream), can cherry pie filling, can pineapple tidbits drained, can mandarin oranges drained, mix together well add coconut and/or pecans if desired. Chill. Will take picture for you.
                              Oops, scrolled right past. It actually sounds pretty good, especially with homemade whipped cream (which is just what every holiday cook needs - one more thing that takes time).

There's a man in my apt complex who likes to experiment with food. Maybe I can get him to set up an outdoor fryer and do a turkey.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Gag===OMG!
                                Female back to the basics: 11-12-16
                                CW: 10-11-16: 144
                                GW: 130 a dream, I know
                                Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X