B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, October 31, 2014

Trying to find an alternative for a traditional Whiskey Sour. I.e., trying to make a Whiskey Sour from stuff I have in my home.

A traditional Whiskey Sour is as follows:

2 oz whiskey
    1 oz lemon juice
    1 tsp sugar
    1 egg white

I don't currently have any sugar. And it's a pain in the ass to separate eggs unless I know that I'm going to use the other half for sure within the next two days. After that, it grosses me out, so I throw it out even if it doesn't smell bad.

Trial #1:

1.5 oz whiskey
    1 oz lemon sorbet
    1 tsp plain yogurt

Result: Not bad. A little creamier than a traditional, but the flavor is good. A little sweet for my taste.

Trial #2:

2 oz whiskey
    1 oz bottled lemon juice
    5 drops of stevia
    1 tsp plain yogurt

Result: Drinkable, but as I've found in the past, real fruit juice + artificial sweetener is odd tasting. This also separates quickly, and not in a nice froth on top, kind of way. More like a curdle kind of way.

I need to wait awhile to try #3 because I'm feeling a bit of a buzz, and my goal isn't to be hammered, but to explore this thing called whiskey with at least somewhat of a clear mind.

Final trial (#3): same as #1 but with slightly different ratios.

2 oz whiskey
    1 oz lemon sorbet
    1 healthy tsp plain yogurt
    Yum!

I used a shaker, but I'm sure a blender would be fine.

Red Band Society. I like this show. It's the way I wish kids were. Thoughtful and silly. Though they're all ill, and it takes place in a hospital, I promise, you'll feel better for watching it. Or you'll feel nothing at all because we can't all feel the same thing. But I doubt you'll feel worse. Seinfeld made me feel worse. I felt that the people were stupid and shallow; they were an insult to the human condition. These kids aren't. If you haven't watched it, episodes 1-5 are still available on hulu for a few days (episode one will disappear in a few days and 2-6 will be available).

Haiku 31 of 31:

Life is good; I'm calm
    Some hassles are behind me
    For just this moment.

October is in its last day and the haiku have been written. Does anyone want to do 30 Haiku in November?

The gallery: In honor of Halloween.

A classic.

Okay, boys and girls, have a very Happy Halloween! And no matter how gratifying it may momentarily feel, don't scare small children - you could help create the next serial killer. Dress up; have costume sex; get tipsy! If you have a noisy party, invite the neighbors so that they don't call the police.

Blessed be, babies!
    J
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• I love the Red Band Society.
      Female 55
      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Joannie, how DARE you reveal the Under Breast Sweat?!?!?!?!?!?

And now I want a whiskey sour.

Winkie? Mr. Winkie?
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
          What else would sweat if you ate spicy food? Or do I really want to know the answer to that question? lol
          I don't know about sweating, but I once ate some Indian food in Chester (UK) that had some sort of hot peppers in it. I bit into one... it was so spicy, I cried out my ears. But boy was it good!

Halloween: I was going to wear my Christmas elf costume, but couldn't find the jingle bell vest. I think it's buried in with the Christmas decorations. *sigh* I'll have to keep it in a handier place once I find it. I became a Halloween Christmas elf because a co-worker told me some years ago that I was typecast as an elf. It's a handy costume; I get to wear it two or three times a year!

Halloween tonight
          Hubby parcels out candy,
          his favorite task!

Comment

• Being a good Irish American girl, I am loving the whiskey experiment. Whiskey sour was my first okay let's start using mixers because people are apparently intimidated by a girl drinking whiskey on the rocks. Have you tried old fashioned style? It's my favourite, though it also contains sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
              I love the Red Band Society.
              It should be interesting to see how it develops. New characters. Eventually, though hopefully not in the first season, there almost has to be a death. But its the kids' spirits that make it so enjoyable.

Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
              Joannie, how DARE you reveal the Under Breast Sweat?!?!?!?!?!?

And now I want a whiskey sour.

Winkie? Mr. Winkie?
              One demerit for me from the sisterhood.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
              I don't know about sweating, but I once ate some Indian food in Chester (UK) that had some sort of hot peppers in it. I bit into one... it was so spicy, I cried out my ears. But boy was it good!

Halloween: I was going to wear my Christmas elf costume, but couldn't find the jingle bell vest. I think it's buried in with the Christmas decorations. *sigh* I'll have to keep it in a handier place once I find it. I became a Halloween Christmas elf because a co-worker told me some years ago that I was typecast as an elf. It's a handy costume; I get to wear it two or three times a year!

Halloween tonight
              Hubby parcels out candy,
              his favorite task!
              Our own little elf. I love it. "cried out my ears," cracked me up. The mental visual is just too good. And how sweet is it that hubby loves passing out candy?

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
              Being a good Irish American girl, I am loving the whiskey experiment. Whiskey sour was my first okay let's start using mixers because people are apparently intimidated by a girl drinking whiskey on the rocks. Have you tried old fashioned style? It's my favourite, though it also contains sugar.
              Old Fashioneds are delicious! I used to have a well-stocked bar with bitters, maraschino cherries, etc. Then I started drinking shots. I might have to stock up on some things if I continue with whiskey. It kind of lends itself to different drinks really well, even though it's great just on the rocks. With tequila, I hate to blunt the flavor by mixing it, and vodka, well vodka is one of those things you can put in anything, even espresso. Hopefully not one's first espresso of the day...
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Here's the proof Joanie, I am the sort of person that will draw eyebrows and a mustache on my dog!

WP_20141031_010.jpg

Hubby had been feeling cranky this week, corgi's costume was the perfect antidote, put him in a good every time he looked at him!
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  Here's the proof Joanie, I am the sort of person that will draw eyebrows and a mustache on my dog!

[ATTACH]17758[/ATTACH]

Hubby had been feeling cranky this week, corgi's costume was the perfect antidote, put him in a good every time he looked at him!
                  So cute! I love the curly moustache. A total smile generator for sure.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Looks like you have your raking cut out for you too! The dog? Adorable.
                    Female back to the basics: 5-2017
                    CW: 2017: 150
                    GW: 130 a dream, I know
                    Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by perennialpam View Post
                      Looks like you have your raking cut out for you too! The dog? Adorable.
                      Hi, Pam. I used to love scuffling through the leaves in fall. Those look like good scufflers.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Saturday, November 01, 2014

This is posted very late because my internet was down almost 24 hours.

Counting today, there are 61 days left to the year. Oiks! Where did it go?

It was 46F (9C) when I woke up at 8am. Down from a high of around 82 last week. That was the first time I woke up. A little hair of the dog, and I went back to sleep 'til noon.

Long black jumper that I often sleep in with a long sleeved black blouse under it. Black tights. Black Croks. Lots of smudged black eyeliner. Not much of a costume, but enough for my purposes, which was to take in the merriment. And merriment there was. I learned that internationally, New Orleans is a top-ten destination for Halloween. I can see why. Party, party everywhere one looked in The Quarter. It's weird how sometimes a crowd can give me the willies, but other times, it's warm and inviting, even though it's crazed. It was eerily quiet in my neighborhood when I got home. And eerily quiet at my complex. I think the young'uns took advantage of it falling on Friday to go do something decadent. There's much to do here besides watching the silly and making one-night friends in bars. (Not one-night stands. I'm getting old. I save those for birthdays.) And since I actually remember arriving home, apparently I didn't drink too much. For Halloween.

A hint to anyone who visits here and spends at least one evening on Bourbon Street: Do. not. drink. a. Hand Grenade. It's deceptively sweet and served in a "darling" green plastic go-cup (remember, we can drink on the streets here as long as we don't drink out of glass). However, it has seven and a half oz of alcohol, and except for the melon liqueur, they're all 80+ proof. Here's the recipe with a pic of the drinking vessels: New Orleans Hand Grenade Cocktail Recipe - 1001Cocktails

When I was in high school, the families in my neighborhood would take turns doing the holiday parties. My parents, who often had the oldest children for their age group, did and loved doing more than their fair share of them. My dad, whose idea of casual dress was a pair of slacks from one of his suits and a wife-beater tshirt, (though eventually my mother forced him to get a couple of pairs of chinos and some sweaters) would even indulge my mom by dressing up. He could be a good sport. I'm remembering the year they went as matching clowns.

Hot toddy. The classic according to Imbibe.com:

Classic Hot Toddy
                        This classic winter warmer soothes with its mix of whiskey, citrus and honey.

1 1/2 oz. bourbon or rye whiskey
                        1 barspoon honey
                        1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
                        4 oz. boiling water
                        Tools: barspoon
                        Glass: teacup or mug
                        Garnish: lemon wedge, cinnamon stick and star anise (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a warmed tea cup or mug and stir to combine. Garnish.

Sugar, sugar, everywhere. And then I have to remember that some of the lore of cocktails teaches us that cocktails were a way of disguising bad tasting spirits. But now with all of the distilleries world-wide vying for our drinking dollars, there are many spirits that are just luscious without any aid. So:

My Hot Toddy: Pour the hottest water from your tap into a mug to heat it up. Let it sit while you boil some water. When the water has boiled, dump out the heating water from the mug. Add 2 oz of whiskey. Add enough boiled water so that the drink is hot, but not so scalding that you burn your lips. That's really all that's necessary, but I can see where lemon and/or sugar/honey would be great, especially for a sore throat. Also, some people make Hot Toddies with tea instead of plain water.

There is no correlation between per capita consumption of cheese and obesity. This shows per capita consumption of cheese of various countries: Annual Cheese Consumption, by Country - For Dummies , and this shows obesity prevalence of various countries: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2228rank.html . So don't be afraid to eat some of the stinky stuff (and the not so stinky stuff) and the stuff from goats and sheep.

Haiku 1 of 30:

The first of November
                        Just sixty one days to go
                        Another year gone

Does anyone want to do 30 Haiku in November? Post 'em here if you want to, even if you don't want to commit to all 30.

The gallery:

Meat salad. Drool.

Superfood.

Peace, love, and wearing socks to bed,
                        J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Superfood pic made me laugh - what a cutie!

I'm in for another month of haiku - gotta warn you, I have to go to Disneyland for a conference this week - there will likely be mouse ears or something equally silly as my poems tend to get based on what I see first thing in the morning.

Mountain snow sparkles
                          Heavy frost fights the scraper
                          Winter? Not ready!
                          M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                          - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Originally posted by Meant2Move View Post
                            Superfood pic made me laugh - what a cutie!

I'm in for another month of haiku - gotta warn you, I have to go to Disneyland for a conference this week - there will likely be mouse ears or something equally silly as my poems tend to get based on what I see first thing in the morning.

Mountain snow sparkles
                            Heavy frost fights the scraper
                            Winter? Not ready!
                            Cool on the November haiku! No worry on the rat ears... I mean mouse ears - life is life, and that's what we all write about, whether sad, happy, silly, serious, etc.

I hope others join in also, as I had even more fun reading them than I did exercising my brain.

I always think of AZ as hot, so I did a bit of a double take on scraping windshields. Not to worry, winter isn't 'til the third week of next month.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Sunday and Monday, November 02 and 03, 2014

I'm cheating here a little bit. Combining two days so that I can catch up. Also, I'm posting early because the time change is messing a little with my sleep. The good news is that between naps and sleep in the last few days, I think I could almost go 'til New Year without a full night's sleep. Okay, so that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Day of the Dead. Wiki says that in Spanish, it's: Día de Muertos. But other sites call it: Día de los Muertos, and that sounds more like what I've heard it called. Basically, it's a three day celebration honoring those who have gone before us. A summary:

On October 31, All Hallows Eve, the children make a children's altar to invite the angelitos* (spirits of dead children) to come back for a visit. November 1 is All Saints Day, and the adult spirits will come to visit. November 2 is All Souls Day, when families go to the cemetery to decorate the graves and tombs of their relatives. The three-day fiesta filled with marigolds, the flowers of the dead; muertos (the bread of the dead); sugar skulls; cardboard skeletons; tissue paper decorations; fruit and nuts; incense, and other traditional foods and decorations.
                              —Frances Ann Day, Latina and Latino Voices in Literature
                              I like the idea of it. Most of my family is buried far away, and my mom's ashes are in my favorite (mid-century) aluminum bread box on a shelf over the fridge (don't ask). So, while I see the one everyday, I don't make pilgrimages to FL or NY to see the rest. But the idea of a festival, where everyone is thinking of their dearly departed is something I can understand.

The original festivals fell in the ninth month of the Aztec calendar, which would have been around August, and lasted for an entire month. A month! Those Aztecs sure knew how to honor their ancestors.

By the late 20th century in most regions of Mexico, the practices had developed to honor dead children and infants on November 1, and to honor deceased adults on November 2. November 1 is generally referred to as Día de los Inocentes ("Day of the Innocents") but also as Día de los Angelitos ("Day of the Little Angels"); November 2 is referred to as Día de los Muertos or Día de los Difuntos ("Day of the Dead")
                              During this holiday, families tend to the graves, build alters, and leave gifts. Toys are left for the children, and flowers, favorite foods, and tequila/mezcal are often left for the adults. (Sure, now that you're dead, your family is okay with you guzzling tequila.) Though we often think of Day of the Dead as a Mexican festival, there are like celebrations in other parts of the world.

So, that's The Day of the Dead in a nutshell. A celebration I'll be embracing more fully.

And in the here and now... On Wednesday, I have the following being delivered: mozzarella from a small dairy farm in Mississippi, yogurt (not Greek, but the consistincy is so thick, it doesn't really matter), beef, pork, a pork liver (all from Louisiana producers), two little biscotti, lemon sorbet, chocolate sorbet, and salsa from a Louisiana pepper farm. I haven't ever had pork liver, but I'm thinking I might combine it with the pork and some rice to make a big batch of Boudin Blanc. I'll freeze it in one-portion sizes. I tried ice-cream from the sorbet maker, but between the cream (fat) and sugar, it made it a borderline binge food. The sorbet doesn't do that, and I'm quite content with half-cup portions.

Boudin Blanc is often done as sausage in a casing, or as balls (bar food), but I'm thinking that baking it in a loaf pan might be good. Then again, fried in lard couldn't hurt. I'm also going to make mine 1:1 ground pork to pork liver, though it's usually anywhere from 2:1 to 4:1 meat to liver.

Haiku 2 of 30:

Day of Dead honors
                              Those that have gone before us.
                              Loving you. God speed.

Haiku 3 of 30:

How can you be from
                              New York and never again
                              eat a bagel? Can't.

30 Haiku in November. Post 'em here if you want to, even if you don't want to commit to all 30.

The gallery:

Some people think that Day of the Dead items are good luck.
                              I love this tatoo.

An alter.

And another.

Art.

And the makeup!

I really love the makeup!

Peace, love, and living,
                              J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Cool on the November haiku! No worry on the rat ears... I mean mouse ears - life is life, and that's what we all write about, whether sad, happy, silly, serious, etc.

I hope others join in also, as I had even more fun reading them than I did exercising my brain.

I always think of AZ as hot, so I did a bit of a double take on scraping windshields. Not to worry, winter isn't 'til the third week of next month.
                                I live in the winter part of AZ - 7300 feet at my house and at the base of a big old volcano that passes as a mountain so we get 4 seasons. I love winter, it just takes me a little while to adjust and this change was abrupt. It is also temporary as it will be sunshine and 60's later in the week.
                                M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                                - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

Working...
                                X