No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the video link. I passed it on to Hubby and he said he's watched them and they are quite good. I guess it's my turn to watch them!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      Thanks for the video link. I passed it on to Hubby and he said he's watched them and they are quite good. I guess it's my turn to watch them!
      It's never easy watching anything (except maybe a serial killer) get killed, but so far, all the people I've watched or known that butcher animals are very kind. I hope it doesn't freak you out too much.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Catching up

Man plans and God laughs. I make a list of what's in the freezer. 14 meals. I then decide how I'm going to eat them, staggering the liver and fish, so I don't just ravage the fish and eat nothing else 'til it's gone. Day two - not in the mood for liver. Don't know what I'm in the mood for. I defrost ground pork and oxtail. Then I'm not in the mood for either, and have scrambled eggs with onion, basil, and parmesan. Sigh.

We're getting big, booming rain storms almost every day. I like it.

Mud baths. I love mud baths. I haven't been in ages. But if you get a chance, try it. You sit in these big tubs of hot very aerated volcanic mud. It's glorious. Afterward, for me anyway, there's nothing but sleep. Calistoga, CA is a good place, but I'm sure there are others.

Commercials. Have you ever noticed that advertising is for things you don't need? Think about it, everything advertised is to convince you that you need what you don't need. Sure, there are ads for car insurance, which we all need. But it's easy enough to do the google thing to figure it out. Does anyone really pick their insurance because of a commercial? Maybe they do. But cereal, fast food, cars, etc., it's all bullshit.

My new hated commercial is the mom asking everyone what they want for dinner. Hubby and two kids all want something different. Our genious mother rips open a few boxes, pops some crap into the microwave, and presto! Everyone has what they want. First, when did Mom become a slave to the rest of the family? My take: I've made X for dinner. Anyone who doesn't want it is on their own - there's tons of food in the house, so have at it. Second is the obvious. Shit food from boxes heated in the microwave. Mom/Dad, you're feeding your children garbage - shame on you!

Ethel Kennedy had 11 children from 1951 to 1968. When my parents would see a very large family, they'd say that the parents must be either very sexy Catholics or careless Protestants. With maybe too many Joan Rivers videos under my belt, I'm thinking that by about eight or nine, you don't even need a hospital. You just go into another room, do a couple of squats, wipe the baby off, and return to your mahjong game.

One of my local grocery stores has frog legs for $3.99/lb. I'm usually up for the new experience. Sadly, I've read how they butcher them, and I guess I'll go to my grave never having eaten them. As a note, I recently saw a video on the force-feeding of ducks and geese for foie gras, and though it isn't pleasant, it wouldn't keep me from trying foie gras at least once. And I think it's a little hypocritical that some locales have made it illegal without making cows who never see daylight, chickens that are debeaked, and pigs who live their lives in body armor all illegal also.

I'm chuckling here. As I continued to read the online grocery flyer, I see that in one section, under "Produce," there was a pic of yellow sliced cheese, and a pic of some ground meat thing. I figured it's just something that got by the proof readers. My bad. Further inspection: vegan yellow singles and meatless ground whatever. I almost threw up a little in my mouth. The new face of produce.

5 Million Google Passwords Show Up On Russian Forums - If you use gmail, you might want to change your password.

Chisel-Toothed Beasts Push Back Origin of Mammals

Did you do your Rajio Taiso today?

Watching 2005-2007 episodes of The F(ood) Word, I watch as Ramsey says goodbye to his pigs. The experiment with the turkeys went well, and the children seem to be accepting that the pigs also are going to be food very soon. But that big bad ass, Gordon, is the one getting all choked up. And who can blame him? Pigs are kind of cute - even big snorty ones. Which won't keep me from eating pork, but I'm not sure I could raise it on site. The Paleo Wimp.

The following paragraph in blue is a little graphic and not for the squeamish.

After finishing that episode, which graphically showed the slaughter, I can't say that I cried my eyes out, but tears dropped. More a function of watching all the episodes from when they first bought the two pigs to when they brought them to slaughter, than from watching the slaughter itself. It's very quick. The pig walks into the chute, and they blast its brain with electricity. It falls over and is hoisted up. Throat slit. There are some post-death twitches. Then it goes into a steaming machine which takes off the hair and a couple of layers of skin. From there it's butchered into what we see in the grocery store or when we get our whole pigs/pig shares for freezing.

I don't watch stuff like this out of any blood lust. Quite the contrary. I watch because since I don't walk the walk like our Doc and the hunters among us, I at least feel that I should know what goes on before I pick up that package of pork loin chops.

Ack. Note to self: Try to bury the heavy stuff between the b*tching and the goofy stuff.

Fun stuff:

A feast.

And I always thought presentation was to enhance, not to scare people away from it.

Peace, love, and Rajio Taiso,
        J
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• I helped butcher the roosters so eventually I think I'll be able to help with the rabbits.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kai5Unvh0

Phrases that have entered the badger-squirrel lexicon (we use one of these at least once a week)...

In an Al Pacino kind of a way
            Run Dougal, run quite fast
            Feck it, feck it anyway
            Last edited by badgergirl; 09-10-2014, 04:00 PM.
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

I helped butcher the roosters so eventually I think I'll be able to help with the rabbits.
              Yes. You seem pragmatic to me. And all kinds of good things, but I don't want to make you blush.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kai5Unvh0

Phrases that have entered the badger-squirrel lexicon (we use one of these at least once a week)...

In an Al Pacino kind of a way
              Run Dougal, run quite fast
              Feck it, feck it anyway
              LMAO - in an Al Pacino kind of way. hahahaha

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Aww Joanie, you're making me blush!

Comment

Aww Joanie, you're making me blush!
                  My work here is done.

As an aside, how the heck did it get to be almost 11pm? I feel like I just woke up. If it keeps going like this, I'll be 80 by next week.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Tried some mud baths in Turkey, great experience.... Is that F Word with the turkey's when some bloke bought the slaughter wagon to Gordies house to do them in? And that pig steamer thing to de-fur them was pretty savage....

Who would've thought that some back door action would make yer ankles swell....That one cracked me up....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                      Tried some mud baths in Turkey, great experience.... Is that F Word with the turkey's when some bloke bought the slaughter wagon to Gordies house to do them in? And that pig steamer thing to de-fur them was pretty savage....

Who would've thought that some back door action would make yer ankles swell....That one cracked me up....
                      Yes, those are the episodes. I'm in the middle of the one where he finds out that one of his lambs got killed.

Ankles swelling would be a bitch of a tell. Is that the reason gay men wore boots a lot in the 80s? I'm keeping mum on why I like boots.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        Yes, those are the episodes. I'm in the middle of the one where he finds out that one of his lambs got killed.

Ankles swelling would be a bitch of a tell. Is that the reason gay men wore boots a lot in the 80s? I'm keeping mum on why I like boots.
                        you like gay men? you like cankles? you like gay men with cankles!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          you like gay men? you like cankles? you like gay men with cankles!
                          LOL - I'm not big on cankles.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Catching up

First, a belated HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! to Mr. and Mrs. Forager. And many, many, happy returns of the day!

FrenchFry's hilarious story ("The danger of eating primal!" in the Odds and Ends forum) reminded me of a childhood memory. Mom always made salmon patties on Friday. She used canned salmon, and like today's product, it had bones. And she would remove them before mixing the salmon with the other ingredients. Now I don't know if I just have a very sensitive mouth, or if it was the longest running coincidence ever, but I would always find at least one bone in my patties, even when no one else did. Kidding around, I asked her if she were trying to kill me.

The following Friday, she served us the patties again and said, "I was very careful - there are no bones in these!" Dinner went along with its usual chatter. I felt a bone. How to get it out of my mouth without her seeing? (I didn't want to make her feel bad.) She turned to do something, and I quickly retrieved it and put it on my plate. She didn't see, but my brother did. "So Mom, she found the bone you planted." Now he and I are laughing. Mom looks over to see Little Bro' holding up the fish bone and cracking up. She looks at me and says, "There's something wrong with you." We howled. Years later I could still get a laugh out of her by accusing her of trying to kill me when I was a teenager.

I didn't want to post this in the Kefir thread because the last thing this place needs is yet anotheer 50 page argument. I thought it was KEE-fur, but:

And when I look up the definition, I get:

My down and dirty Bloody Mary with things around the house is simple: vodka, hot sauce, lemon juice, tomato juice, black pepper. No garnish. I would, of course be more creative were I serving in a bar or party by having more complex garnishes, and perhaps keeping crushed garlic on hand. The hot sauce I use is a local jalapeno sauce. It sometimes has tiny chunks. Note to self: Look at bottom of glass before chugging last sip. Coughing for a minute and a half because you've swallowed a chunk of jalapeno is no way to be.

I only have access to three seasons/series of The F Word, so sadly, I end my mini marathon with an episode featuring Ricky Gervais, who to the best of my knowledge is the only Brit for whom I have an active dislike. Which basically means that I'd like to kick his ass just for the joy of it. C'est la vie. <-- French for "shit happens." (French is such a pretty language.) Self-righteous prigs always make my shit list. Thankfully, he didn't disappoint. I might have had to expend energy re-evaluating my opinion of him. "When we buy it at Tesco, it doesn't have a name." Bite me, douche bag.

Of the three animals (turkeys, pigs, lambs) that Ramsey raised for food, the lambs proved the hardest and least successful. They need a boat load of grass, so are not suited for suburban farmers. He moved them twice, and when he found a large enough pasture for the lambs and their two moms, one got killed by something - the town's people thought it was a big cat, and the necropsy couldn't confirm that, but also stated that it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

The Drunken Weight Lifter. Mix up your favorite protein shake per the directions. In a cocktail shaker, put ice and a 1:1 ratio of protein shake to brandy. Shake until icy cold. Strain and pour over ice in rocks glass. Hopefully, you're not drinking 8 oz of alcohol to 8 oz of protein shake all in one drink, so this will make a few.

LMAO and a shameless plug for one of my favorite journals (bloodorchid's): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1540315

Being all innocent and such, my first thought was that it was a clever way to keep a hand held cleaner (for the toilet) on hand, though I did think it needed a wall mount clip or something to keep it off the floor. Then as I gazed in fascination, I realized that it was more of trailer park bidet set-up. At that point, I almost peed myself laughing. And I still think it needs a wall mount clip.

A Little Bit of Knowledge Can Make a Person Neurotic. Nope, it's not about food. It's about computer batteries. In which I learn that keeping a laptop plugged in all the time can drain the battery faster than it should drain. So, now, when I'm awake, I let it charge to above 80%, then let it discharge to about 40%. This also makes me happy that I didn't throw away the old laptop. I'm going to find someone to check it out with a new battery.

Fun stuff:

As you can see, they're not lining up around the block.

This would certainly be one way to my heart!

Peace, love, and trailer park bidets,
                            J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• More catching up

Offal Isn't Awful.

A week or two ago, our favorite chicken-pluckin' farmer (Hi Doc!) mentioned that when he dressed his chickens, he threw away the feet and guts. Oh, how I wished I lived close enough to him to back my beater car up to his offal and take it off his hands. Give me your unwanted chicken hearts, feet, and especially those livers! I'm not fond of gizzards, but some people love them, especially fried.

I got this link: Health Benefits of Eating Organ Meats from a post in the Nutrition forum, and from it, I got some more.

Offal Archives - Offalgood - A few recipes from Chris Cosentino.

The Liver Files | Weston A Price - Extols the virtues of liver and other organs. Also a few recipes including one I'm sure all liver phobic people want to try: a Raw Liver Drink. LOL. I love liver, but I don't want to try that.

How to Eat More Organs - Chris Kresser takes you through some less freakout offal (tongue and heart) before introducing you to liver. I actually freak out a little more about tongue than liver because it looks like a tongue. Liver just looks like squishy red stuff.

Liver is magical stuff. It's one of the few foods that really makes me sit up and take notice of how good it makes me feel. So, today I'm plugging liver. But other offal are delicious and shouldn't be overlooked. Chicken feet and pig trotters add gelatin to a bone broth, but neither should be ignored as just food. We're not used to squiggly, wiggly food here, but they are delicious. Tongue made into hash or chilled after cooking and dipped into a nice mustard - yum. (Even better as a tongue sandwich if you eat GF or regular bread.) Hearts make great chili. Don't let this good stuff go to waste.

UF, if you're out there, I know you've had trouble liking liver. If you do a search of "chopped chicken livers," and try one of the ones that has "Grandma's" or "Jewish" in the title, you might find something palatable. Schmaltz/chicken fat should definitely be an ingredient in the recipe, even if you have to substitute another fat because a lot of us don't save chicken fat. I liked it even as a girl, though I didn't like my mom's liver and onions 'til I was maybe 16(?). Anyway, I loves ya, so I'd be ecstatic if you could find something with liver that you and the guys liked.

Someone up there liked me today. Today was shower day. IOW, after my walk, I was feeling funkier than I like to feel. I took a nice long cleansing shower with a minute or two of a cool down at the end. (Why is she being even more mundane than usual?) About an hour later, I went into the kitchen to wash the three dishes in the sink, and no water. My immediate thought was that my slumlord hadn't paid the water bill. It's never happened before, but I just don't trust the guy anymore. Turns out a water main broke. Just so you don't think I'm naive enough to believe my landlord, there were a few fire hydrants dumping water into the street when I went for a later walk to do some chores. The water was on a few hours later, and I'm thankful that I got to de-funkify myself before it got shut off.

The Gallery:

No one seems to be able to duplicate these.

Now that's food porn!

Now y'all know my secret - I'm really a potato.

Peace, love, and long soapy showers,
                              J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Offal Isn't Awful.

A week or two ago, our favorite chicken-pluckin' farmer (Hi Doc!) mentioned that when he dressed his chickens, he threw away the feet and guts. Oh, how I wished I lived close enough to him to back my beater car up to his offal and take it off his hands. Give me your unwanted chicken hearts, feet, and especially those livers! I'm not fond of gizzards, but some people love them, especially fried.

I got this link: Health Benefits of Eating Organ Meats from a post in the Nutrition forum, and from it, I got some more.

Offal Archives - Offalgood - A few recipes from Chris Cosentino.

The Liver Files | Weston A Price - Extols the virtues of liver and other organs. Also a few recipes including one I'm sure all liver phobic people want to try: a Raw Liver Drink. LOL. I love liver, but I don't want to try that.

How to Eat More Organs - Chris Kresser takes you through some less freakout offal (tongue and heart) before introducing you to liver. I actually freak out a little more about tongue than liver because it looks like a tongue. Liver just looks like squishy red stuff.

Liver is magical stuff. It's one of the few foods that really makes me sit up and take notice of how good it makes me feel. So, today I'm plugging liver. But other offal are delicious and shouldn't be overlooked. Chicken feet and pig trotters add gelatin to a bone broth, but neither should be ignored as just food. We're not used to squiggly, wiggly food here, but they are delicious. Tongue made into hash or chilled after cooking and dipped into a nice mustard - yum. (Even better as a tongue sandwich if you eat GF or regular bread.) Hearts make great chili. Don't let this good stuff go to waste.

UF, if you're out there, I know you've had trouble liking liver. If you do a search of "chopped chicken livers," and try one of the ones that has "Grandma's" or "Jewish" in the title, you might find something palatable. Schmaltz/chicken fat should definitely be an ingredient in the recipe, even if you have to substitute another fat because a lot of us don't save chicken fat. I liked it even as a girl, though I didn't like my mom's liver and onions 'til I was maybe 16(?). Anyway, I loves ya, so I'd be ecstatic if you could find something with liver that you and the guys liked.

Someone up there liked me today. Today was shower day. IOW, after my walk, I was feeling funkier than I like to feel. I took a nice long cleansing shower with a minute or two of a cool down at the end. (Why is she being even more mundane than usual?) About an hour later, I went into the kitchen to wash the three dishes in the sink, and no water. My immediate thought was that my slumlord hadn't paid the water bill. It's never happened before, but I just don't trust the guy anymore. Turns out a water main broke. Just so you don't think I'm naive enough to believe my landlord, there were a few fire hydrants dumping water into the street when I went for a later walk to do some chores. The water was on a few hours later, and I'm thankful that I got to de-funkify myself before it got shut off.

The Gallery:

No one seems to be able to duplicate these.

Now that's food porn!

Now y'all know my secret - I'm really a potato.

Peace, love, and long soapy showers,
                                J
                                I asked my daughter if she wanted the livers and hearts, and she said no.... I dern't eat liver.... it's a chemical processing plant.... Additionally, it has long been a tradition in primative cultures that eating the heart of an animal you kill imparts the spirit of that animal in to you... I ain't eating no dang chicken heart!

I would gladly save the feet for you... but you have to clean the nasty things!

Comment

Working...
                                X