No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a bat house on my roof. Many, many, many bats live in it. You wouldn't believe how many bats fit in a pretty small space. They still don't eat all of the mosquitoes, though. And I don't feed them with a baby bottle. They are so quiet during the day, sssshhhhhhhhh. They sleep like I do.

Oh Robin, we will miss you so. I am sorry for the pain you suffered and I hope now all is peace.
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
      I was listening to a tribute to Robin Williams today on the Comedy channel on the way to work... thinking WTF? I had not heard.... sad day... funny, funny man.....
      Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
      that genuinely hurts, i've loved that guy since i was a kid
      It's amazing to me when I grieve over someone I've never spoken to, but there you have it. I am grieving. I'm still in denial.

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
      Robin Williams - me, too. SNIFFFFFFFFFFFFF! Oh, my, God - golf!

Supermoon - here it rained all day and then added thunder at dusk and just now stopped. No moon. Boo.

Eating beaver - I read somewhere that the paddles were the best part, honest.

Iron Chef - DEFINITELY KITCHEN ENVY!!! I want to see the one where Paula Deen whoops Robert Irvine's muscular butt with SUGAR.
      It's funny to me how the language of food mimics the language of sex or vice versa. Eating beaver - fairly obvious. Whooping Irvine's muscular butt with sugar had me truly laughing out loud.

I want to be a judge on Iron Chef America. Sadly, I have no credentials. Maybe I'll start a food blog. I've been threatening to do that for the better part of a year.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
      RIP Robin..hope you're in a better place.
      I think I wasn't a pressure cooker.
      Damn auto correct.. I want a PC.
      Bats dive bomb me nearly every night I go swimming.
      Scares the bejesus out of me.
      Do you swim in a lake? I learned to swim in a lake, which in later life looked like a large pond. I love non-pool swimming, though I certainly enjoy doing laps in a pool or water walking back and forth even.

Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
      I have a bat house on my roof. Many, many, many bats live in it. You wouldn't believe how many bats fit in a pretty small space. They still don't eat all of the mosquitoes, though. And I don't feed them with a baby bottle. They are so quiet during the day, sssshhhhhhhhh. They sleep like I do.

Oh Robin, we will miss you so. I am sorry for the pain you suffered and I hope now all is peace.
      I love the scene in The Big Chill where they chase out the bats.

He hanged himself. There are times when I understand or at least almost understand suicide. Chronic pain or end of life quality are two that I can at least sort of understand. I hope the hell that I never understand the feeling of hopelessness.

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Swimming pool at night, ocean and even lakes daytime only. I used to love to swim in the ocean late at night, but with age comes wisdom. but those bats swoop down to see if I'm food, I guess. I scream at them, get the damn mosquitos, you blind as a bat bat.

Comment

• Hey J- how is everything over in the big U S of A???????? So so so sad about Robin. He will always be one of the truly great Americans.
          Hope you are well
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            It's funny to me how the language of food mimics the language of sex or vice versa. Eating beaver - fairly obvious.
            I had the same thought about, but i didn't want to be so obvious....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            Do you swim in a lake? I learned to swim in a lake, which in later life looked like a large pond. I love non-pool swimming, though I certainly enjoy doing laps in a pool or water walking back and forth even.
            With the humidity you get, going for a walk round the blocks gotta be like doing a few laps of the pool....

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
              Swimming pool at night, ocean and even lakes daytime only. I used to love to swim in the ocean late at night, but with age comes wisdom. but those bats swoop down to see if I'm food, I guess. I scream at them, get the damn mosquitos, you blind as a bat bat.
              I miss swimming in natural bodies of water. Okay, I'll tell the story. Grandparents had a summer place with a little lake/big pond on it. We fished often. But at dusk, we had to get the boats back because the bats would start swooping down on us. One day we stayed out a little too long and my mother thought it would be a good idea to use the net to shoo away the bats. One got tangled in it and she drowned the poor thing. My brother and I just sat there looking like children versions of the Scream painting. We never let Mom stay on the lake near dusk again.

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
              Hey J- how is everything over in the big U S of A???????? So so so sad about Robin. He will always be one of the truly great Americans.
              Hope you are well
              Hey G! Sounds like you're globehopping and having a great time! All is well here. I hope you'll stop in more often.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
              I had the same thought about, but i didn't want to be so obvious....

With the humidity you get, going for a walk round the blocks gotta be like doing a few laps of the pool....
              I know you like subtle humor.

I do get drenched when I walk some days. But I can't say it's as refreshing as a few laps.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

Hey G! Sounds like you're globehopping and having a great time! All is well here. I hope you'll stop in more often.
                I shall certainly try J !
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Friday, August 15, 2014

Where has this week gone? I'm in semi-hermit mode. Except for my morning walk (and I try to avoid people on that because it's a mental thing as well as a physical thing), I'm hiding out in my apt. Enough food, butter, and coffee? Check. A few ounces of libations for an evening drink? Check. Well good. Now eff off, world. I once lived with an enabler of this behavior, and one time didn't leave my abode except to sit on the back steps to get fresh air for a week.

We lost another one: Lauren Bacall's enduring allure But though sad, she was only a month shy of her 90th birthday, so her life was lived fully.

Funny, funny bit:

I have to wipe tears out of my eyes when I watch this, I'm laughing so hard.

CDC reports detail lapses in deadly flu incident - CNN.com - So the gov't is inept, and the corporations are corrupt. WhereTF are we supposed to go for information and reasonable science?

New Hampshire declares state of emergency over synthetic marijuana-like drug | Fox News - People are going to find a way to get high. If Prohibition didn't teach us that, I really don't know what will.

Sex toy accident proves fatal for British man | Fox News - Pretty much what you'd expect. Moral of the story is that if you're going to put foreign objects in various body orifices, you have to be prepared for the occasional trip to the hospital. Not to worry; there are very few things that ER workers haven't had to remove from a human anus.

And finally, because we are apparently raising children that we don't trust to know the difference between reality and comic books, Archie Comic comes under fire: Archie Comics Is Promoting 'The Occult And Homosexuality' With Kevin Keller Storyline, Pundits Claim

Goofy stuff:

Peace, love, and inflatable girlfriends,
                  J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• I've been feeling hermit-ish lately too. I've taken to walking my dogs early in the morning in the woods, not intentionally avoiding people but it turns out that way. I've also noticed that if I don't have to go out anywhere my brain is saying goody! We have meat in the freezer, and a freshly butchered rooster, fruit and veggies in the garden plus a well stocked larder so i haven't had much need to leave the house. I do have a book to pick up at the library so I will have to interact with someone other than Hubby and son at least briefly tomorrow.
                    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• L M A O

"Incidentally, you're out of scotch."
                      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                        L M A O

Nooooooooo!

We must correct this immediately. Lives depend on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                          I've been feeling hermit-ish lately too. I've taken to walking my dogs early in the morning in the woods, not intentionally avoiding people but it turns out that way. I've also noticed that if I don't have to go out anywhere my brain is saying goody! We have meat in the freezer, and a freshly butchered rooster, fruit and veggies in the garden plus a well stocked larder so i haven't had much need to leave the house. I do have a book to pick up at the library so I will have to interact with someone other than Hubby and son at least briefly tomorrow.
                          I know the shrink community says that contact with other people is healthy, but I also think we forget the hermit who finds true enlightenment on her/his mountain top.

Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                          L M A O

LOL - by the time he tells Rickles he's out of Velveeta, I'm helpless with laughter.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                          Nooooooooo!

We must correct this immediately. Lives depend on it.
                          Not to worry. Though not much of a scotch drinker, the stores of vodka are replete.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• The weekend, August 16 & 17, 2014

I had an odd experience the other night that was pretty painful. For no reason, my quadriceps had a burning sensation. My glutes, hamstrings, and calves also felt painful, but nothing like my quads. I've never felt anything like it. I took aspirin, ibuprofen, and even a trazadone (just in case it was some bizarre reaction to anxiety). I massaged it, and I even covered my legs with a blanket in case the combination of a/c and ceiling fan had aggravated something. I drank a bunch of water. Nothing helped except walking around, which would have been fine except that it was late at night. Finally, I just said fuggit, poured myself a big glass of vodka, took one last aspirin (I was keeping track so I didn't take too many), and one last half of a trazadone and passed out. I figured if I woke up in pain, I'd get myself to a doctor. Next morning I was fine, and nothing wrong since.

I'm used to anxiety, and I know now that when I get freaked out at planes flying overhead or other things that are common and shouldn't be scary that it's all in my head. But that was kind of scary.

Have you all seen the Mr. Sketch commercial with the blueberry that farts? Here it is:

Speaking of funny people, there was an hour and a half special done earlier this year in tribute to Don Rickles. Though getting frail at in body at 88, at the end he spoke and his voice was so strong. Anyway, it's here if you want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2rUH1xRTdE

The cost of protein. Since I lost all my little spreadsheets and analyses of various foods (wah!) in my recent computer crash, I did a new comparison on the cost of protein. It's pretty specific to the sources I use, and probably wouldn't be useful to anyone else, but I will note the least and most expensive.

Least expensive. A whole CAFO chicken on sale for 98cents/lb. I used a waste-factor of 30%. I got that number because once upon a time, a store near where I lived in Eugene had turkey for 88cents/pound on a regular basis, and I used to roast one up and freeze portions about once a month. I once weighed what I threw away, and it was almost a third (bones, skin that didn't crisp, and the fat in the bottom of the roasting pan). I also arbitrarily decided that half the chicken was white meat and half was dark - this probably isn't true, but it was good enough for this analysis. Anyway, the result is that this whole chicken provides protein at $0.015/gram. That's one and a half cents per gram of protein. Really cheap, but honestly, of all the things that make my armpits smell, CAFO chicken is the worst offender.

Most expensive. Not surprisingly, squid (from WFoods @ $8.87/lb with tax) comes to $0.12/gram of protein. (Twelve cents.) No waste here - I eat everything except the package.

Whey protein shakes. I use these as a supplement, because I aim for 90+ grams of protein per day, and sometimes I can't eat enough to get it. The stuff I have on hand (a lot), I got for a good price, so the protein comes to $0.023/gram of protein (two and a third cents). At the normal price locally, it comes to $0.04/gram. As a note, I don't use the bestest quality ever, and my protein shakes have soy lecithin in them. If my head exploded from soy, I'd use something else, and it might be more expensive.

So, is price per gram of protein the end-all-be-all of budgeting for one's proteins needs? Yes, if that's the only consideration. IOW, if I were on a full allotment of foodstamps, and I had to feed myself on $180/month, I would definitely stick to the cheapest sources of protein (and whey protein is considered food under the foodstamp program). But there are, of course, other considerations. Could I live on sale-chicken and protein shakes? I could, but I don't want to. Eggs are cheap (4cents/gram of protein for CAFO or 6cents/gram for farm), but to get 90 grams of protein from just eggs, at 6.3 grams per egg, I'd have to eat 14 and a quarter eggs. Blurgh - that's a lot of eggs. Would I give up squid or salmon ($0.105/gram of protein)? Not unless my finances forced me because I love both of them.

A note on ground beef, with the caveat that this is from only my sources, and I won't eat CAFO beef. Comparing 85/15, 90/10, and 95/5, the fattiest of these (85/15) is actually the most expensive per gram of protein, though it's the least expensive per pound of meat. It's not much, but it's worth noting. There is also a substantial caloric difference, so if you are small like I am, or post-menopausal, or just not into doing strenuous exercise, or you are a burger freak, this matters.

In the news. A suburb of Missouri is in chaos because a cop shot an un-armend teenager. He was black. Color me surprised. Texas Governor Rick Perry proclaims his innocence. Again, I'm shocked. Hackers are targeting retail stores. Time to get two banks. Keep your real money in one. Keep your "shopping" credit card in another. Better yet, put most of your money into silver and bury it in the basement. No interest, but silver holds its value. Latest Microsoft updates causing IE users grief with slowness. You're not still using IE, are you?

This is fun: Catch closest view of Jupiter, Venus pairing this year - baltimoresun.com

The two brightest planets in the sky, Venus and Jupiter, will appear side by side in the early-morning sky Monday. At only a quarter of a degree apart, it's the closest two planets will appear in our sky this year, according to EarthSky.org. Look low in the eastern sky about 5 a.m., an hour before dawn, and see them into the morning twilight. Though they look close, they are hundreds of millions of miles apart.
                            And this for someone I like (a lot) and admire (a lot): Surf’s up for family with cystic fibrosis | Nation & World | The Seattle Times

Since researchers realized that the saltwater in the ocean helps clear out the thick mucus that builds up in patients’ lungs, organizations have started around the world that teach those with the disease how to “hang 10.’

For the eyes:

Because cute is a necessary part of life.

Team work.

Peace, love, and team work,
                            J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• They autocorrects bury me, classic....

Did you see the eye article at the bottom of the page on the planets story, link below, no4 is freaky....

5 People (and One Cat) with the Craziest Eyes You’ve Ever Seen | Blogglez

Comment

• OMG another awesome post..u are something else!

Comment

Working...
                                X