No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it might be generational, I grew up with home cooked meals. My mom was a great cook, I think some of my friends came over just to eat her food.

My son, who is now 16 won't eat fast food, he doesn't like the way it tastes. He and his friends meet up at Burger King on Friday nights, my son never gets anything, not even a drink. I just found out that he doesn't even usually go in (they have outside tables) because he doesn't like the smell!

So far he hasn't shown much interest in cooking, but eventually he will have to cook for himself, there is no way he'll be able to to afford the quality of food he's become accustomed to!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
      Re: cooking. It might be generational, I don't know. I didn't learn about fast food places until I was nearly out of high school (I think we're about the same age, Joanie), and I never did like their food much. Mom's cooking was a lot better! I've always cooked, and my three kids also cook (including my son). But we never ate out much even when there was a fast food place on every corner. Maybe I instilled good taste buds in my kids when they were growing up, so they continue the practice now?
      You most likely did. We're comfortable with what is taught to us, so eating good food probably set your kids up to reject the artificial food-type product.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      I'm 37 and only discovered people ate supermarket food (TV dinner type things, I suppose) when I shacked up with husband. I was amazed when he bought mashed potatoes that you heated up in a tub. Amazed.
      I've used the flakes a couple of times, but once the box was empty, I never bought another. It wasn't so much the taste, though there is a bit of a cardboard taste, it was just the weirdness of making something so easy into a flake. Boil potatoes; mash. Not. rocket. science.

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      I think it might be generational, I grew up with home cooked meals. My mom was a great cook, I think some of my friends came over just to eat her food.

My son, who is now 16 won't eat fast food, he doesn't like the way it tastes. He and his friends meet up at Burger King on Friday nights, my son never gets anything, not even a drink. I just found out that he doesn't even usually go in (they have outside tables) because he doesn't like the smell!

So far he hasn't shown much interest in cooking, but eventually he will have to cook for himself, there is no way he'll be able to to afford the quality of food he's become accustomed to!
      Oh, I hope he has your gene for cooking. I'd love to hear tales of paleo young 'uns learning to cook.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Yesterday

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Here's a weird thing. All I've had to eat today (technically yesterday as it's just after midnight as I write this) is about 3 oz of leftover chicken, a single portion of lemon pound cake (too sweet, not enough lemony goodness), and a can of tuna with a little minced onion and good-oil mayo. My brain wants to eat more. My tongue wants more of the tuna. But I'm not hungry.

Of course, 4am will roll around, and I'll want the tuna and some olives and potato salad, etc. Normalcy is not usually a goal of mine, but I do wish my eating patterns were more stable. Genetics and habit. Can't change the one, but I can reprogram the other. Still, I have to admit that eating at 4am is kind of fun. Later: 4am did roll around, and I ate a hard-boiled duck egg with mayo and black pepper. It was gooey and good.

The mayo. It's okay. It was a new product for me. I miss mayo, and mine's too hit or miss. I'm thinking of going back to the vegan mayo I used to like as part of my 20. Since full fat and vegan both have crap oils, I might as well eat the one that's 35 calories per tablespoon rather than the one that's 100 calories per tablespoon. I kind of worry about slippery slope. I've lowered the bar on chicken and pork because because I can't consistently find totally foraged of either, and the price of partially foraged chicken is stupid. I'll eat antibiotic-free chicken and pork. I have one supplier who occasionally has wild boar, and when it's in stock, I'll choose that, but it's not always available, and pork and apple sauce is a childhood love.

On a healthier note, I've defrosted a bison chuck roast to make for supper. It's not very fatty, so I'm in a bit of a quandry of how to prepare it. Maybe pressure cook to tenderize, then high oven to brown? Maybe low and slow covered with a tent of parchment? Maybe my dumbass should google? Brown and braise it is. A good excuse to use my clay cooker which has been neglected since I got into pressure cooking everything. And it's such a cool day - 11:30am, and only 83F.

Interesting reading about the non-GMO movement and how companies are responding: Some Food Companies Are Quietly Dumping GMO Ingredients : The Salt : NPR

So, if bone broth + a shot of your choice is called a Bullshot, and chicken broth + a shot is called a Cockshot, what would one call veggie broth + a shot? As a note, I'm much more infatuated with veggie broth than with bone broth if I use just taste as the criteria. Maybe I expected too much from bone broth and very little from veggie broth. In addition to a bag of veggie pieces that would have gone into the garbage, I have in my freezer a quart sized ziplok bag full of tomato pieces. I'm tempted to buy a food mill to make my first batch of tomato soup, but I'm going to wait to see how it comes out. I think a food processor and a mesh strainer will work the first time. And if it doesn't work, I have both crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to thicken it.

Hour #1 down for the roast. Only two more hours to go. I give thanks to the planet for beautiful bison/buffalo. Long may they fill our bellies!

I can't help but love when politicians make themselves look stupid in such a public manner. Even when they're not ours. Turkish Women Defiantly Laugh at Official Who Says They Shouldn't LOL - ABC News

Sleazy bank; BofA hustle: Judge Orders Bank of America to Pay $1.27 Billion in 'Hustle' Case - WSJ - Just a little anecdote I learned in an easy course in college. BofA used to be the Bank of Italy. During the 1906 earthquake, it was rumored that people saw Giannini taking money out of one of the branches in a wheel barrow. I can't find it online, so I guess it hasn't been substantiated. Fortunately, the "hustle" program has redeemed BofA's reputation such as it is.

Red Robin gets the top spot, but Cheesecake Factory gets the most spots. Need calorie bombs? Here you go: 2014's most 'Xtreme' restaurant meal is a 'monster'

The 10 most corrupt states in the country: 10 most corrupt states in America - Fortune - I live in #2, and believe me, I've been thinking since I got back from vacation that Louisiana is a big pile of Number Two. Hey bloodorchid, we beat your by one spot! I'm so proud. LOL

The roast came out fantastic. After three hours at just under 300 (the average time I read online), it was still tough, so I put it and the juices into the pressure cooker for 20 minutes, and it was falling off the bone delicious. Put some butter on the potatoes and that was a fine meal with tons of leftovers. I used to love roast beef sandwiches with tomato and mayonnaise, so I think I'll make a beef and tomato salad with mayo drizzled on it.

Things from around the web:

What happens when you tell some people to get a hobby.

Peace, love, and buttered butt sex,
        J
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          Wednesday, July 30, 2014

buttered butt sex,
          J
          If only I could unsee this!
          My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• buttered butt sex??? really? I guess it is paleo, after all....

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
              If only I could unsee this!
              What do you use?

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
              buttered butt sex??? really? I guess it is paleo, after all....
              The lube at Walmart is much cheaper, but I'm guessing it's not paleo.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• buttered butt sex???
                Wasn't that the nasty scene on the floor in "Last Tango in Paris"?
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Your plan for tomato soup should work. I have a lousy food mill, it's a hassle to use and doesn't work that great, so I usually end up using your method of blender/processor and strainer. If you do end up buying a food mill look for one that has changeable discs.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                    Wasn't that the nasty scene on the floor in "Last Tango in Paris"?
                    Omg, I'd forgotten about that! Marlon Brando, doin' the buttered butt sex thing.

Hi hi, Greenie - how are you doing? I read your journal, but I never know what to say. I figure that if I post over and over again, "Dang, I wish I could be more like you," you'll eventually think I'm a stalker.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                      Your plan for tomato soup should work. I have a lousy food mill, it's a hassle to use and doesn't work that great, so I usually end up using your method of blender/processor and strainer. If you do end up buying a food mill look for one that has changeable discs.
                      Cool. Thank you for the insight and the tips on the discs. Like Alton Brown, I hate to get a one-purpose tool. And I'm not into those lovely mashed/creamed potatoes that so many folks love. I'm more of a peasant smashed potato person.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Cool. Thank you for the insight and the tips on the discs. Like Alton Brown, I hate to get a one-purpose tool. And I'm not into those lovely mashed/creamed potatoes that so many folks love. I'm more of a peasant smashed potato person.
                        Oh me too! I don't like my potatoes perfectly smooth. As far as kitchen equipment goes I lean toward fewer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                          My son learned to cook because he liked to eat! He was around 15 or 16 when he started. He asked me to show him how to make homemade mac 'n cheese (I make it with rice instead of noodles), because it was his favorite food. Once he learned, he'd make himself a batch a couple times a week, and he would unleash HELL on anyone who ate "his" mac 'n cheese! Of course, after I reminded him whose money bought the ingredients, then he'd only unleash HECK.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The mayo. It's okay. It was a new product for me. I miss mayo, and mine's too hit or miss.
                          Joanie, go to Juli Bauer's site PaleOMG. She has a recipe for mayo made with avocado oil that's foolproof and takes 1 minute to assemble the ingredients and 15 seconds to actually make. It makes less than a cup, so it's pretty easy to use up quickly. Best. Mayo. Evah!

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          I'm tempted to buy a food mill to make my first batch of tomato soup, but I'm going to wait to see how it comes out. I think a food processor and a mesh strainer will work the first time. And if it doesn't work, I have both crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to thicken it.
                          I put my tomato soup in my blender, seeds, skin, and all, and after a minute on high speed it comes out perfectly smooth. If you have a decent food processor, that would probably work fine also.

Comment

Hi hi, Greenie - how are you doing? I read your journal, but I never know what to say. I figure that if I post over and over again, "Dang, I wish I could be more like you," you'll eventually think I'm a stalker.
                            Ah, my dear, you are too kind. I read yours and have many moments of envy for your having to deal with only yourself, not having to deal with multiple other persons needs. The grass is always greener and all that shit. But I'd be happy with a NoLa sloth-like stalker . Sometime in the next couple of years I expect to be there for a holiday, and you can bet I'll be looking you up!
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

When moms make something that is stellar, they're generally putting in the best stuff and adding their considerable experience. In the age of low fat, my mother made the best macaroni and cheese I've ever had. She made a white roux with butter and flour, then added milk and stirred 'til thick. Then added grated cheddar, and stirred 'til it was all yellow. Then she added it to the cooked elbows, and baked it for something like 45 min to an hour. I don't remember if she topped it with anything, but if she did, it would have been Progresso bread crumbs. No low fat for that dish. And something that a lot of people think comes out of a box took her almost two hours to make. I've tried to duplicate it, but to say that I don't have the patience for it would be an understatement. Lasagna is easer.
                              That's how I make my macaroni and cheese. For years, my kids would ask for Kraft, after I had made amazing homemade stuff but now they like mine and wonder if Kraft changed their recipe to make it so tasteless, lol. That process you described is classic French cooking. Make the roux, add hot milk (now a bechamel), and stir in shredded cheese (and we have a mornay!). So, so good, I also add grated nutmeg, it really does add that flavor needed for Mac and cheese.

Comment

• My mom always added nutmeg to bechamel and mornay sauces too.

Comment

Working...
                                X