No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to let you know I laughed my ass off. Does this mean I don't have to do Tabatas today? Does laughing count as a workout?
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
      Holy Hera!!! I love autocorrect
      You and me both!

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
      A pterodactyl wing from KFC would be interesting an' all....I thought that monkeycake was one of the better efforts....

That made me chuckle a tad, what a beauty!

Hope today goes well V.
      Gotta wonder at the size of the bucket, though.

Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
      Just to let you know I laughed my ass off. Does this mean I don't have to do Tabatas today? Does laughing count as a workout?
      Laughing counts. Especially if you stand while laughing.

Val, good luck today! We're all thinking about you. *hug*
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• There is not enough mind bleach for that text message! I am glad my parents never texted.

Chemo went well today. Tomorrow is only 3 hours. I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago for my hip and the "port certified" nurses there stabbed me five times trying to access my port while causing extreme pain palpating it, trying to find where to poke it with a needle. (what a port is: http://www.jakebouma.com/images/powerport-how.jpg). Sweet chemo nurse, gently touched it once and got it first try, no pain. I think I love her. And going there makes me appreciate everything, even my slow growing lymphoma, even more. Most of the other folks today are not so lucky. There were several terminal people there.

I have steroid induced munchies and nothing is safe. Good thing we only have good stuff here. I was a little sad today when the very sick lady next to me was eating her lunch of cup of soup, sugar free fat free yogurt and several granola bars mentioned how much healthier she was eating. I just had my melon medley with Serrano ham and prosciutto with a side of rice. You are not suppose to bring smelly foods as nausea is common. I did not say anything because if I am ever terminal, I am eating whatever the fudge I want and you can bet there will be fudge! I am also lucky to have a mate who is now doing 90% of the grocery shopping and buys me lots of my favorite fruits and vegetable.

That picture of baby and puppy cuteness makes me want to squeal and start kissing round bellies. I know I am odd but I love puppy breath!

Life is good and I am fortunate.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
          There is not enough mind bleach for that text message! I am glad my parents never texted.

Chemo went well today. Tomorrow is only 3 hours. I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago for my hip and the "port certified" nurses there stabbed me five times trying to access my port while causing extreme pain palpating it, trying to find where to poke it with a needle. (what a port is: http://www.jakebouma.com/images/powerport-how.jpg). Sweet chemo nurse, gently touched it once and got it first try, no pain. I think I love her. And going there makes me appreciate everything, even my slow growing lymphoma, even more. Most of the other folks today are not so lucky. There were several terminal people there.

I have steroid induced munchies and nothing is safe. Good thing we only have good stuff here. I was a little sad today when the very sick lady next to me was eating her lunch of cup of soup, sugar free fat free yogurt and several granola bars mentioned how much healthier she was eating. I just had my melon medley with Serrano ham and prosciutto with a side of rice. You are not suppose to bring smelly foods as nausea is common. I did not say anything because if I am ever terminal, I am eating whatever the fudge I want and you can bet there will be fudge! I am also lucky to have a mate who is now doing 90% of the grocery shopping and buys me lots of my favorite fruits and vegetable.

That picture of baby and puppy cuteness makes me want to squeal and start kissing round bellies. I know I am odd but I love puppy breath!

Life is good and I am fortunate.
          And we are fortunate to know you!

Good to hear that things went well. And hugs to your husband for grocery shopping for your pleasure and health.

I agree on the terminal thing - I'd be eating lasagna 'til I exploded, and no stinky cheese would be safe in my presence.

I love babies and puppies and kittens, and well all babies. I was just never much fond of children from the ages of about four to fourteen. I'm getting better though. Alas 'tis too late. <--- last sentence is sarcasm.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I ate roasted chicken with melted butter and cherries over it for supper last night. T'was yummy.

Something I ate the other day when I didn't want hot food, but didn't mind cooking. Salmon poached in water, salted, and with some lemon. Chill in fridge. Rice with cherries and coconut aminos. Chill the pot or steamer insert in a bowl of ice cubes. Rice on plate. Salmon on rice. Freakin' yum.

I have some fun stuff coming today from Good Eggs: two different kinds of salsa, some buttermilk, blueberries, ox tails, mayonnaise (no bad oils!), tomatoes, basil, garlic, red potatoes, one serving of lemon pound cake, and cinnamon kumquat marmalade. Later note: Cinnamon kumquat marmalade is stellar. I have no idea what to put it on yet, but a couple of spoonsful are a dessert unto themselves.

I like Mark's post yesterday about indulging in the occasional off-plan meal. Though he didn't use the phrase (I think), it's about not letting perfection get in the way of the good. If one were to eat paleo for two weeks, and then take a day to indulge in pizza and donuts, they'd be 93/7, which is a whole lot better than 80/20. And though I don't have science to back me up, my instincts tell me that it's probably better to do the poison thing once in awhile than it is to do it every day in small doses. I could be wrong. The flip side is that if you had a small amount of poison every day, you might keep the gut buggies around that digest the poison.

I'm also intrigued by the way the "affordable food" thread has gone. People act like this is the first time in this country's history where people had to work long hours. It isn't. It also isn't the first time women have worked outside the home. And yet cooking has become (to paraphrase UF) either a chore or high art. What is different is that you can't walk down the street of any city, small or large, without tripping over large chains that serve fast food. (I'm using "food" in that sentence to mean something one puts in one's mouth, chews, and swallows, not in the nutritional sense of it actually being nourishing.)

When I worked in public accounting, one had no life from January 1 to April 15, so I understand about working long hours. Even so, after about two weeks of eating crap, you could see people starting to bring in decent food. Even if it was just chicken breasts and cold potatoes. And SF is totally a food city, and was even back then.

I'm evolving into this very simplistic view of the world. I'm starting to think that about 90% of who we are is genetics and habit. So, for some of us oldies, the worst of the fast food chains didn't exist on every corner when we were young. You didn't just pop in for a meal that could be served to you in five minutes or less. There was one fast meal I remember as a kid - a slice and a soda. Usually the pizzeria had at least one pie pre-made, and the counter person put a slice in the oven when you ordered it. And when visiting the City, I remember Sabrett hot dogs from a cart. I was in high school before I learned about McD, KFC, etc.

So has cooking become a generational thing? I know that RR and the bloody one cook, and I'm old enough to be their mother - even if I'd waited until I completed a doctorate to have children. But for the most part, it seems like cooking is becoming something we leave to someone else.

McDonald's has a value meal that is 20 pieces of McNuggets, two orders of french fries, and two soft drinks for $11.09. That's not bad for two people, right?

Searching for how much a nugget weighs gives me varying amounts, so let's assume that 20 nuggets weigh 12 oz (and that's erring in McD's favor). Each nugget is about 50% actual chicken, so that's 6 oz of chicken. A medium order of french fries weighs 4 oz, so, 8 oz of potato in this "deal."

Chicken is a huge variable in grocery stores. I still occasionally see flyers with advertised prices of 99c/lb, but I also see it for $1.29/lb. No antibiotics is about $2.79/lb. Organic is more, and partially foraged can go up to $5-6/lb. I'll go mid to low range here and assume a price of $2.79/lb. I just ordered some potatoes for $1.25/lb, but I think the last time I bought certified organic, they were three pounds for $5, and regular old russets are cheap, but I don't know the price without clicking too many times to find it.

So, if you cooked at home:

1 pound of antibiotic-free chicken $2.79
            1 pound of non-certified, but still organic potatoes $1.25
            Lard or tallow to fry the potatoes 50cents
            A glass of lemonade (juice of one lemon, and 7 drops of stevia) 45cents - two glasses: 90cents.
            Total: $5.44

Of course, I'm not counting the cost of your labor. Still, if the alternative is sitting on your butt eating McGarbage watching TV, your labor at that moment isn't worth much. So, for half the price, each person gets 8 oz of chicken (instead of 3 oz), 8 oz of potato (instead of 4 oz), and a drink that's not pure chemicals. Your fry fat is also about a bazillion times healthier than they're using. And no soda. So much for McD's version of value.

It's all about food today:

I have no idea what this is supposed to be.

If your kids are so picky that you have to do this to hot dogs, they have issues.

Almost too cute to eat.

I believe placenta is gluten free. hahahaha

Peace, love, and eating well,
            J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• I've been out of the U.S. for long enough to be amazed when I go back. I've spent a lot of time in Kansas this last year, and there's a main street through Topeka that is NOTHING but restarants. Every franchise you can imagine, some you didn't know existed, and then mom n' pops. And each and every one seems to be thriving. Is the population of Topeka sufficient to keep these places in business? And that's just on that side of town. It's crazy.

Comment

• Maybe I'm a freak, but if those muffins are come kind of cheese cornbread, they look freaking delicious.

Comment

• Stonehenge bacon.
                  My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• yeh i cook, i just resent it on occasion

my mahm's more of a cooker than a go out and getter, so that was probably a big influence on me

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                    Maybe I'm a freak, but if those muffins are come kind of cheese cornbread, they look freaking delicious.
                    is, and is

i haven't had individual cornbread muffins, but the odd occasion i have it it's a layer of cheese, then frozen broccoli on the bottom of the pan, then the cornmeal mix & cook it like regular cornbread

i've made it with yogurt & i've made it regularly. it tastes best when it comes from my mother

gah how does she cook things so much better than i do..
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                      Stonehenge bacon.
                      YES! My thoughts exactly...like this, but with bacon:
                      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        Gotta wonder at the size of the bucket, though.
                        Hadn't thought of that, a barrel might be better....

On your cheese issue, saw this on the news the other day, made me shudder....

Stonehenge bacon.
                        Works for me!

Umm, placenta and chook, what sort of sauce would you recommend....

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                          Stonehenge bacon.
                          Had the same thought!

Not sure what the big deal is about working (I'm juggling 3 PT and a FT job with finishing PhD) and cooking other then it requires planning and being prepared. You can't just get home after work and pull something from the freezer to defrost (well you can, but dinner will be late) and sit down and eat. I know my grandma would have loved a slow cooker during harvest time!
                          Female 55
                          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelli View Post
                            I've been out of the U.S. for long enough to be amazed when I go back. I've spent a lot of time in Kansas this last year, and there's a main street through Topeka that is NOTHING but restarants. Every franchise you can imagine, some you didn't know existed, and then mom n' pops. And each and every one seems to be thriving. Is the population of Topeka sufficient to keep these places in business? And that's just on that side of town. It's crazy.
                            Yep, it's called generiscaping. The first time I went to Eugene, OR was in the mid 1970s. It was so pretty, but sleepy enough that I knew it wasn't for me. Fast forward 25 or 30 years when I moved there to be closer to my mother and every chain eatery, oil change, etc., and of course Target and Walmart had made their way there. Such is progress.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                            Maybe I'm a freak, but if those muffins are come kind of cheese cornbread, they look freaking delicious.
                            I like my broccoli like I like my men - overcooked and limp. No... wait...

Stonehenge bacon.
                            No doubt it will be the next great thing!

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                            yeh i cook, i just resent it on occasion

my mahm's more of a cooker than a go out and getter, so that was probably a big influence on me

is, and is

i haven't had individual cornbread muffins, but the odd occasion i have it it's a layer of cheese, then frozen broccoli on the bottom of the pan, then the cornmeal mix & cook it like regular cornbread

i've made it with yogurt & i've made it regularly. it tastes best when it comes from my mother

gah how does she cook things so much better than i do..
                            The difference between north and south. The only cornbread I'd ever had 'til I was about 30 was from that little blue package (is it Jiffy?) in the grocery stores, and we always made them in muffin tins.

When moms make something that is stellar, they're generally putting in the best stuff and adding their considerable experience. In the age of low fat, my mother made the best macaroni and cheese I've ever had. She made a white roux with butter and flour, then added milk and stirred 'til thick. Then added grated cheddar, and stirred 'til it was all yellow. Then she added it to the cooked elbows, and baked it for something like 45 min to an hour. I don't remember if she topped it with anything, but if she did, it would have been Progresso bread crumbs. No low fat for that dish. And something that a lot of people think comes out of a box took her almost two hours to make. I've tried to duplicate it, but to say that I don't have the patience for it would be an understatement. Lasagna is easer.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                            YES! My thoughts exactly...like this, but with bacon:
                            Good one!

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                            Hadn't thought of that, a barrel might be better....

On your cheese issue, saw this on the news the other day, made me shudder....

Works for me!

Umm, placenta and chook, what sort of sauce would you recommend....
                            I've got my issues with eating blood, so the only thing I can think of to do with placenta is to bury it.

Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                            Had the same thought!

Not sure what the big deal is about working (I'm juggling 3 PT and a FT job with finishing PhD) and cooking other then it requires planning and being prepared. You can't just get home after work and pull something from the freezer to defrost (well you can, but dinner will be late) and sit down and eat. I know my grandma would have loved a slow cooker during harvest time!
                            Exactly. My grandmother started working outside the home at 16, stopped to have my mom at 25, and went back to work when my mother went to first grade. She worked full time, picked my mom up from school on the way home, and cooked a meal. I get back to habit. The streets weren't lined with crap/fast food places, so she didn't get into the habit of stopping and bringing home a bag o' crap for supper. She also cooked like a peasant - I surely miss her cooking.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Re: cooking. It might be generational, I don't know. I didn't learn about fast food places until I was nearly out of high school (I think we're about the same age, Joanie), and I never did like their food much. Mom's cooking was a lot better! I've always cooked, and my three kids also cook (including my son). But we never ate out much even when there was a fast food place on every corner. Maybe I instilled good taste buds in my kids when they were growing up, so they continue the practice now?

Comment

• I'm 37 and only discovered people ate supermarket food (TV dinner type things, I suppose) when I shacked up with husband. I was amazed when he bought mashed potatoes that you heated up in a tub. Amazed.
                                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Working...
                                X