• Show
Clear All

• J you darling wee thing. Thrilled that you are having a wee chillax day
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
      Love your trip journal! Makes me wish I was doing the same. I've driven around the country by myself more than once but it has been years. Kids and all that responsibility stuff. Now I'm wishing I hadn't overbooked my measly week of vacation the 1st week of July so meandering could happen

GayPanda's Fairy of Debauchery was pretty fantastic, but he has competition!
      Oh, I so love the Fairy of Debauchery!

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
      Still. Laughing!

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      How did I miss the May 23rd post?! So it looks like you're in the PNW now. I know what you mean about the Pacific ocean, I grew up with it, oceans/seas that are warm and gentle seem odd to me, too timid. I'm used to the foggy cool Pacific with dangerous undertoes and freezing water. Sun bathing and swimming in the ocean are not something we do at the beach, even in the Summer you often have to bundle up.

I have to say I'm jealous of your free and easy traveling, gone are the days when I would just hop in a car for a road trip. DS and I are heading out in 2 weeks to meet up with my family for couple of days. My sisters have planned a camping trip reunion and memorial for my other sister who passed in January. I should be looking forward to it, it's in a gorgeous place but instead i'm kind of dreading it. Planning and packing for camping is very involved, (DS needs to bring all his respiratory equipment), not to mention the hassle of packing food and kitchen set-up and then the drive which is 5-6 hrs, a big portion of it through the Bay Area. At least I won't have to pitch a tent because we got a tent cabin. When did I turn into such a homebody?
      I think we're going to have to do a chick thing one day (although of course, Doc and Dave can be honorary chicks anytime they want to be). Somewhere between the Left Coast and Utah (for Goldie), there must be a place where we could romp and play for a few days or a week. A retreat of some kind, but with time for raucousness.

My condolences on your sister's passing. I'm so sorry.

I'm mostly a homebody also. Once I create a nest to my liking, it's my favorite place to be.

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
      J you darling wee thing. Thrilled that you are having a wee chillax day
      G x
      Thank you, G! I've been so relaxed for the last few weeks that I'm not sure how I'll react to reality when I get home.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Monday, June 09, 2014

What I learned (so far) on my summer vacation.

I need to figure out a way to spend May or June through August in a cooler climate than New Orleans. Or I need to learn how to deal with the summers there.

Iím still the person who canít go back. IOW, even though Iím sleeping great in the cooler weather of the GNW, weather isnít everything. My history here makes it a place to only visit.

Itís fun sharing Paleo with a person who has an open mind.

Given that itís fun to share first time experiences with someone, we had our first oxtails together. Often, when I first try an ingredient, I try to do it as simply as possible. This was no different. My plan:
        • Pressure cook the oxtails in just water and a little s&p for 35 minutes. He doesnít keep bone broth around, or weíd have used that.
        • Remove the oxtails (after testing tenderness) to a plate. (If not tender enough, pressure cook for another 10 minutes.)
        • Let him make mashed potatoes since he does them so well.

Doing this always has the potential to result in a bland meal. Iím okay with that. Oddly, I like bland foods, and except for potatoes and popcorn, I donít think I ever added salt to anything until I gave up almost all processed foods when I found Paleo.

Results: Holy cow! I thought beef tongue was yummy. First, the ratio of meat to fat is just perfect Ė these were trimmed a bit and didnít appear fatty at all, but they were as succulent as anything Iíve ever eaten (and 35 minutes was just fine). Second, if youíre the kind of person thatís happy to pick up bones to eat meat, these are just fun (though they were so tender, you can use just a fork to get the meat off of the bone). I know a lot of people use these for soup or stew, but they need very little seasoning to be effing delicious just on their own.

I think that when I get home, Iíll try them with a nice dipping sauce of butter and coconut aminos, or something curryish. I heart oxtails.

Oh, and we dubbed the dish, Tails Ďní Taters.

He often goes to church on Sunday mornings, so that gives me time to amuse myself. He also had a couple of very small jobs, so I had a couple of hours a few times, which was also good. One day I took one of the longest walks Iíve taken in such a long time. Some hills and valleys (what goes up, must come down). According to Google, it was about just a smidge over eight miles. Iím pretty much a 5-6 miler, so that was nice.

I also did some googling about how to adapt to hot weather, and though most of the info that comes up is geared toward runners, itís still fairly adaptable to anyone. Cold showers, having cold water easily accessible while youíre out and about, etc. Working up to more and more activity at higher temps than one is used to. Apparently sitting still in hot weather wonít do much to help the acclimation process. Kind of a bummer, since sitting still is one of my favorite activities.

Iím not doing anything really exciting to write about. Weíre not really club people, and between the two of us, weíve lived 123 years on the planet, so staying up Ďtil 4am on a regular basis is best left to those who still have more than half their lives left.

Oh, bikes. Another thing I wonít do in New Orleans because of all the tourists and drunks. Since thereís a dedicated bike path here with no cars, weíve been riding bikes. His landlady has graciously allowed me to use hers when sheís at work, and sheís only an inch shorter than I, so her bicycle is very comfy for me.

Thatís it, I guess. I havenít told him yet, but Iím hoping to extend this vacation by having him come back with me and spend a month. Heís so into music that I think heíd really love New Orleans, at least to visit.

For your smiles:

Shitto! Itís whatís for dinner!

Nothing goes better with smelly balls, hot dogs, and AIDS,
        than some nice cold Pee Cola

Because you canít ever have too many sloths.

May it be a beautiful day in your neighborhood,
        J
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Nothing goes better with smelly balls, hot dogs, and AIDS,
          than some nice cold Pee Cola
          Um, yeah. Methinks I'll pass.

I did some oxtails in the pressure cooker tonight. Nice choice. Yum indeed.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Awww those sloths make me smile! Speaking of adapting to heat............ it's been so hot here, 105 yesterday! I'm not cooking anything inside (we don't have AC) I either use my grill or solar cooker. If I'm going to walk my dogs I have to get my but up early, Hubby and I have been walking around 7:30 am. Wednesday it's supposed to cool down to the 80s, I can't wait. This weather makes me feel very sloth-like.

I finally bought a bottle of Hendricks gin (I believe it was you and Cori that recommended it), I'm having loads of fun making interesting concoctions: I've learned to muddle, have to make do with what I have on hand since I'm not equipped with bartending paraphernalia, any way so far I've made cucumber and lime with seltzer, plum and basil with seltzer. Hubby and I are light weights so usually one drink a night. It's a much better drink in this heat than wine, wine makes me sleepy, though with certain foods it's the only way to go.

I love the idea of a retreat! Maybe by then I'll have perfected a few more cocktails.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• I forgot to mention that the temperature drops about 40 degrees at night, that's how we're able to live w/o AC, window fans are essential though.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                I think we're going to have to do a chick thing one day (although of course, Doc and Dave can be honorary chicks anytime they want to be). Somewhere between the Left Coast and Utah (for Goldie), there must be a place where we could romp and play for a few days or a week. A retreat of some kind, but with time for raucousness.
                I could live with being an honorary chick for a week of retreatary....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

Shitto! Itís whatís for dinner!
                May it be a beautiful day in your neighborhood,
                J
                As you know, I likes me peppers, but having a bit of Shitto in me chow sounds a bit dodgy to me....

I finally bought a bottle of Hendricks gin (I believe it was you and Cori that recommended it), I'm having loads of fun making interesting concoctions: I've learned to muddle, have to make do with what I have on hand since I'm not equipped with bartending paraphernalia, any way so far I've made cucumber and lime with seltzer, plum and basil with seltzer. Hubby and I are light weights so usually one drink a night. It's a much better drink in this heat than wine, wine makes me sleepy, though with certain foods it's the only way to go.

I love the idea of a retreat! Maybe by then I'll have perfected a few more cocktails.
                Wonder how Cori is, hope she's well?! And every retreat should have its own master of cocktails....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post

As you know, I likes me peppers, but having a bit of Shitto in me chow sounds a bit dodgy to me....

Wonder how Cori is, hope she's well?! And every retreat should have its own master of cocktails....
                  A. The thought of you as an honorary chick does strange and not entirely unwelcome things to me.

B. I miss Cori too.
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joanie[QUOTE=JoanieL View Post
                    Lake Powell (on the Utah/Arizona border) is lovely in spring and early fall. It's too hot there in the middle of summer, but that's also when the families with young screaming children are there. Not that I haven't had my own screaming children, but I have had mine and don't need anyone else's thankyouverymuch.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                    Ditto. About Cori, and about needing a master of cocktails.

Comment

• I'm friends with Cori on FB, and as far as I know, she's doing well.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Nameless, tell her we all say hi and are thinking of her!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                          Um, yeah. Methinks I'll pass.

I did some oxtails in the pressure cooker tonight. Nice choice. Yum indeed.
                          LOL - no smelly balls?

(The multi-quote isn't working for me.)

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Now it's working. Oiks.

Awww those sloths make me smile! Speaking of adapting to heat............ it's been so hot here, 105 yesterday! I'm not cooking anything inside (we don't have AC) I either use my grill or solar cooker. If I'm going to walk my dogs I have to get my but up early, Hubby and I have been walking around 7:30 am. Wednesday it's supposed to cool down to the 80s, I can't wait. This weather makes me feel very sloth-like.

I'm guessing it was Cori. My knowledge of gin could fill a thimble. When I order a martini at a bar, I usually ask the bartender to pick something respectable from somewhere between bottom and top shelf.

I forgot to mention that the temperature drops about 40 degrees at night, that's how we're able to live w/o AC, window fans are essential though.
                            That's such a nice respite from the day's heat. We don't get that in the South sometimes for months. There are days upon days when the coolest it gets is 80. It's tough. I heart my a/c.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post

You'll fit right in. I'm guessing most chicks don't like the idea of shitto in their food. LOL

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                            A. The thought of you as an honorary chick does strange and not entirely unwelcome things to me.

B. I miss Cori too.
                            LOL - I can totally relate.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post

Lake Powell (on the Utah/Arizona border) is lovely in spring and early fall. It's too hot there in the middle of summer, but that's also when the families with young screaming children are there. Not that I haven't had my own screaming children, but I have had mine and don't need anyone else's thankyouverymuch.

Ditto. About Cori, and about needing a master of cocktails.
                            That sounds lovely. I think I've been through Utah, but I've never stopped there. I'd love to see it. And, as can be surmised by my choice to remain childless, screaming children have never been a favorite. I once told (nicely) two girls making squealing noises in a grocery store that if they wanted to be noisy to please go do it by their mother. heh

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            I'm friends with Cori on FB, and as far as I know, she's doing well.
                            Nameless, tell her we all say hi and are thinking of her!
                            I miss her also. Such a smart, insightful woman. *hugs* wherever she is.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Nothing about vacation; I just felt like writing...

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you the newest in eating fads: The 50s Diet. This shitís really easy.

Pick the number of meals you want to eat per day, then use the following as a guide.

Breakfast. Not the most important meal of the day* for adults, though children seem to do better in school when they eat breakfast. Donít fill up on carby crap. Bacon/steak/a burger/a pork chop and eggs are all good choices. Scrambled eggs with some veggies and cheese also work. If breakfast without bread really leaves you feeling incomplete, and bread doesnít make you sick, go ahead and have a slice of toast (with butter!) as a side to your meal. Unless youíre a competitive athlete, a physical laborer, or breakfast is your only meal of the day, thereís no need to eat your weight in food for breakfast.

* There is no ďmost importantĒ meal of the day.

Lunch, but only if youíre really hungry (or this is your favorite meal of the day) and not just eating because everyone else at the office is doing so. Leftovers from last nightís supper are a good option. A piece of fruit and some cheese. Not a sugary crap coffee drink, but a latte made with whole milk or cream, or coffee mixed with coconut oil. Or, if you handle uncooked veggies without farting your way through the afternoon, a nice salad with some kind of protein added in. Donít forget some oil Ė not a gallon, just some. A couple of hard-boiled eggs. One of the best things you can have for lunch: a walk. Even if you only get a half-hour for lunch, you can squeeze in 15 minutes of walking.

260 workdays in a year times 15 minutes of walking: 65 painless hours of walking each year added to your normal activity.

Supper. A big hunk* of protein (donít worry, most hunks of protein come with some yummy fat). A pile* of steamed/grilled/roasted/cooked non-starchy veggies. A pile* of starchy/root veggies.

* ďHunkĒ and ďPileĒ are at your discretion. If youíre at your happy weight, eat the same amounts youíve been eating. If you need to lose a few, eat a little less. If you are trying to gain, eat a little more.

After supper. A little wine. A little distilled spirits. A little dark chocolate or fruit. A gentle 15 minute walk. (Another 65 hours of walking per year done in a pretty painless manner.)

This ďdietĒ can be called by other names:
                              • The We Werenít All Fat Back Then Diet
                              • The We Didnít All Obsess About Macros Back Then Diet
                              • The Common Sense Diet
                              • The Iím Not About to Waste My Money on Magic Powders and Pills When I Can Eat Real Food Diet

One caveat. Though CAFO chicken had made its way to most homes by the 50s, other foods were often local because shipping methods werenít as ďgoodĒ as they are now. Local milk and butter were often delivered right to the home in some cities/burbs. Big-time CAFO happened around the 1970s. People didnít have to pay attention to being locavore. Faced with apples at 15c/lb or pineapple at $1/lb, you mostly ate the apples. So, try to be as locavore, organic, pastured, grass-fed, and wild as possible. Our parents/grandparents/great grandparents didnít have to try Ė it was what it was.

Donít listen to ďexperts.Ē Were you at your healthiest when you ate one or two meals per day? Then donít eat three because some PhD or MD says you should. Does eating a sweet dessert each day keep you on track so you donít binge? Then eat it, even if the experts (and I) think itís just a habit. Does even a low carb breakfast make you hungry? Skip it.

The biggest problem with this diet, of course, is its lack of cachet or cool. What are you going to use as a mascot? James Dean in a T-shirt wouldnít suck, but he smoked, so thatís not a good example for overall lifestyle. Itís tough to market common sense. Itís tough to market, ďstop eating crap and stop eating all g** d*** day.Ē Itís easier to sell magic powders, pills, and philosophies.

So, while I truly believe in this diet, I doubt anyone could make any money from it. And given that there are about 10,000 items in the average grocery store and only about 1,000 of them are good wholesome food, I have to think that the average person just loves eating garbage.

Back to the drawing board for the Next Big Thing. **small sigh**

Peace,
                              J

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you the newest in eating fads: The 50s Diet. This shit’s really easy.

Pick the number of meals you want to eat per day, then use the following as a guide.

Breakfast. Not the most important meal of the day* for adults, though children seem to do better in school when they eat breakfast. Don’t fill up on carby crap. Bacon/steak/a burger/a pork chop and eggs are all good choices. Scrambled eggs with some veggies and cheese also work. If breakfast without bread really leaves you feeling incomplete, and bread doesn’t make you sick, go ahead and have a slice of toast (with butter!) as a side to your meal. Unless you’re a competitive athlete, a physical laborer, or breakfast is your only meal of the day, there’s no need to eat your weight in food for breakfast.

* There is no “most important” meal of the day.

Lunch, but only if you’re really hungry (or this is your favorite meal of the day) and not just eating because everyone else at the office is doing so. Leftovers from last night’s supper are a good option. A piece of fruit and some cheese. Not a sugary crap coffee drink, but a latte made with whole milk or cream, or coffee mixed with coconut oil. Or, if you handle uncooked veggies without farting your way through the afternoon, a nice salad with some kind of protein added in. Don’t forget some oil – not a gallon, just some. A couple of hard-boiled eggs. One of the best things you can have for lunch: a walk. Even if you only get a half-hour for lunch, you can squeeze in 15 minutes of walking.

260 workdays in a year times 15 minutes of walking: 65 painless hours of walking each year added to your normal activity.

Supper. A big hunk* of protein (don’t worry, most hunks of protein come with some yummy fat). A pile* of steamed/grilled/roasted/cooked non-starchy veggies. A pile* of starchy/root veggies.

* “Hunk” and “Pile” are at your discretion. If you’re at your happy weight, eat the same amounts you’ve been eating. If you need to lose a few, eat a little less. If you are trying to gain, eat a little more.

After supper. A little wine. A little distilled spirits. A little dark chocolate or fruit. A gentle 15 minute walk. (Another 65 hours of walking per year done in a pretty painless manner.)

This “diet” can be called by other names:
                                • The We Weren’t All Fat Back Then Diet
                                • The We Didn’t All Obsess About Macros Back Then Diet
                                • The Common Sense Diet
                                • The I’m Not About to Waste My Money on Magic Powders and Pills When I Can Eat Real Food Diet

One caveat. Though CAFO chicken had made its way to most homes by the 50s, other foods were often local because shipping methods weren’t as “good” as they are now. Local milk and butter were often delivered right to the home in some cities/burbs. Big-time CAFO happened around the 1970s. People didn’t have to pay attention to being locavore. Faced with apples at 15c/lb or pineapple at $1/lb, you mostly ate the apples. So, try to be as locavore, organic, pastured, grass-fed, and wild as possible. Our parents/grandparents/great grandparents didn’t have to try – it was what it was.

Don’t listen to “experts.” Were you at your healthiest when you ate one or two meals per day? Then don’t eat three because some PhD or MD says you should. Does eating a sweet dessert each day keep you on track so you don’t binge? Then eat it, even if the experts (and I) think it’s just a habit. Does even a low carb breakfast make you hungry? Skip it.

The biggest problem with this diet, of course, is its lack of cachet or cool. What are you going to use as a mascot? James Dean in a T-shirt wouldn’t suck, but he smoked, so that’s not a good example for overall lifestyle. It’s tough to market common sense. It’s tough to market, “stop eating crap and stop eating all g** d*** day.” It’s easier to sell magic powders, pills, and philosophies.

So, while I truly believe in this diet, I doubt anyone could make any money from it. And given that there are about 10,000 items in the average grocery store and only about 1,000 of them are good wholesome food, I have to think that the average person just loves eating garbage.

Back to the drawing board for the Next Big Thing. **small sigh**

Peace,
                                J
                                It truly is amazing how the "experts" continue to be called "experts" when they consistently get so much shit wrong.... it truly boggles the mind.....

Comment

Working...
                                X