B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    What if, for example, we never bothered to read anything that was mediocre? And Iím not talking about just reading lofty literature or anything like that. What if we never read or listened to news that was actually infotainment? What if we put down newspapers, magazines, or books that disappointed, or clicked away from websites that no longer entertained or taught?
    I'm not completely there yet, but I am not far off. I do have very snobbish reading tastes and refuse to engage with anything that doesn't materially add to my joy. I'm choosy about what I watch, too - helped by not having a telly.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
      I am usually willing to try any food at least once but those fish heads might require a few shots of courage first!

Now that this forum has been taken over by "the fat is bad and lots of carbs is bestest" Weight Watchers crowd, I have decided to take a break from the forum for a while. While I do like to learn as much as possible about nutrition, especially now that it appears I have a slow growing form of lymphoma, I hate how just about every thread ends in the bashing of Mark, Primal/Paleo and carb appropriate eating. There is little to no support here anymore, outside the journals.

I wasn't going to say anything about leaving because I dislike the Drama Llama thing. But there are people here on Joanie's journal and few other journals that I think are interesting and fun people that I bet would be great to meet in the real world and I wanted to say so long for now. Hopefully Joanie doesn't mind me misappropriating her journal for a moment. It is always better to ask forgiveness than permission! I will be checking in on with some of the journals from time to time when I a need a laugh or some inspiration.

A quick note on the lymphoma, my oncologist has assured me I am not going to die from it and I see her again tomorrow to go over our plan of attack. I also appear to have an abdominal wall adhesion which is causing me problems and needs surgery to fix. I have a fun summer ahead!

Best wishes to you all!
      Yes bring us with you V!!

I feel like there's (just recently even) been a huge shift from the old primal regulars. Hell I don't even check the new posts page unless I'm bored at work, and I love helping out new folks. It's all journals and a couple threads that exploded and I now ignore (possibly due to Joanie's hypothesis?). I'm fairly sick of it.

I'm so glad to your you're lymphoma isn't dangerous. Cancer is a very scary thing at least I think. Hopefully that gets taken care of quickly, painlessly, and effectively and you'll just have one more badass story to tell.

If you do leave, send us your contact info!

Comment

• VH if you're still around to read this I want you to know I'm so relieved to hear about your cancer, I've been thinking about you. I hope you will occasionally drop in and chat with us, I always enjoy your posts.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
          VH if you're still around to read this I want you to know I'm so relieved to hear about your cancer, I've been thinking about you. I hope you will occasionally drop in and chat with us, I always enjoy your posts.
          These words exactly. Wishing you all good things and hope to 'see' you around often.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
            I am usually willing to try any food at least once but those fish heads might require a few shots of courage first!

Now that this forum has been taken over by "the fat is bad and lots of carbs is bestest" Weight Watchers crowd, I have decided to take a break from the forum for a while. While I do like to learn as much as possible about nutrition, especially now that it appears I have a slow growing form of lymphoma, I hate how just about every thread ends in the bashing of Mark, Primal/Paleo and carb appropriate eating. There is little to no support here anymore, outside the journals.

I wasn't going to say anything about leaving because I dislike the Drama Llama thing. But there are people here on Joanie's journal and few other journals that I think are interesting and fun people that I bet would be great to meet in the real world and I wanted to say so long for now. Hopefully Joanie doesn't mind me misappropriating her journal for a moment. It is always better to ask forgiveness than permission! I will be checking in on with some of the journals from time to time when I a need a laugh or some inspiration.

A quick note on the lymphoma, my oncologist has assured me I am not going to die from it and I see her again tomorrow to go over our plan of attack. I also appear to have an abdominal wall adhesion which is causing me problems and needs surgery to fix. I have a fun summer ahead!

Best wishes to you all!
            I am a cancer survivor so I understand a little of what is going on for you. Remember to breath and please don't go down the 'what if' road. That was probably one of my few rules when recovering from cancer because the 'what if' road is laden with horrors that are worse than most things that can happen in real life.
            I agree that the forum has changed and there are few supportive places but hopefully you can find your way back to the journals at least.
            I wish you peace and health.
            link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• Vh, take good care of yourself, you hear?! When you are ready, do post or PM, ja? I will miss your posts! Hugs!
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Just want to reiterate what everyone else has said V, best wishes, hope you get better and quickly, hopefully you'll pop by now and again.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  Laughter may be the best medicine for age-related memory loss - Medical News Today Ė Laughter may be the best medicine for age-related memory loss Ė well thatís one thing I have going for me. I laugh a lot. Iíd make a terrible companion for a funeral.
                  I've spent most of me life laughing, or is it laughing at life, either way my memory's pants, I can forget what I was planning to do on the way the toilet, which can be awkward....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  And todayís eye candy:

[center]
                  This is going to be tough to market.
                  J
                  I dunno, it worked for pot noodle....

Comment

• saw this and thought of you...

Comment

• Not the best photo, but saw this and had to....

fanny by Dhansakdave, on Flickr

Who wouldn't mind wiping there fanny with some fanny....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                        Not the best photo, but saw this and had to....

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          wtf why did I just misread Arkansas as Arr-Kansas? Is it a Monday? Yeah, it's a Monday. Nevermind.

I've been thinking about ACTUALLY keeping a personal journal again. I did it off and on for years, from elementary school through college, but now not so much. It's a nice writing exercise, to just impress myself and no one else, to not have to filter anything, to write EVERYTHING down. It might also be a good thing for my fine motor skills if I actually write instead of type it. I looked back in a notebook at work the other day that I've been using for the past 3 years since I started at this job. My handwriting was surprisingly neat at the start. Now...not so much.
                          There are a couple of words that I have to consciously think artificially in order to remember how to spell them. Chihuahua is one. I think Chi-hoo-ah-hoo-ah. I agree on the journal, whether for a specific time or endeavor, or as a free form non-filter thing.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                          VH, I second what Joanie said. If you find a good message board, give us all the linkie! I pretty much stick to the journals, too. AND I'm so glad you're not going to die (at least not for a very, very, long time!)

Joanie, found another one for you:

Amazon.com: Three Wolf Moon Shirt Parody - Three Sloth Moon Shirt - 100% Cotton T-Shirt Tee: Clothing
                          Oh Goldie, you evil woman! I love that! Look what else: Amazon.com: Wild Republic Cuddlekin Three Toed Sloth 12" Plush: Toys & Games Ė I canít even remember the last time I was tempted to buy a stuffed animal. I had tons of them right into my 30s. Uh-oh, perhaps this is the first step into regressing into childhood?

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                          I'm not completely there yet, but I am not far off. I do have very snobbish reading tastes and refuse to engage with anything that doesn't materially add to my joy. I'm choosy about what I watch, too - helped by not having a telly.
                          I still watch a lot of "bubblegum for the brain" tv. Mostly it's in the background. I am however a sucker for some of the fantasy/monster stuff and I like cop shows.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                          Yes bring us with you V!!

I feel like there's (just recently even) been a huge shift from the old primal regulars. Hell I don't even check the new posts page unless I'm bored at work, and I love helping out new folks. It's all journals and a couple threads that exploded and I now ignore (possibly due to Joanie's hypothesis?). I'm fairly sick of it.

I'm so glad to your you're lymphoma isn't dangerous. Cancer is a very scary thing at least I think. Hopefully that gets taken care of quickly, painlessly, and effectively and you'll just have one more badass story to tell.

If you do leave, send us your contact info!
                          Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                          VH if you're still around to read this I want you to know I'm so relieved to hear about your cancer, I've been thinking about you. I hope you will occasionally drop in and chat with us, I always enjoy your posts.
                          Both of those +1

Originally posted by jacmac View Post
                          I am a cancer survivor so I understand a little of what is going on for you. Remember to breath and please don't go down the 'what if' road. That was probably one of my few rules when recovering from cancer because the 'what if' road is laden with horrors that are worse than most things that can happen in real life.
                          I agree that the forum has changed and there are few supportive places but hopefully you can find your way back to the journals at least.
                          I wish you peace and health.
                          Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                          Vh, take good care of yourself, you hear?! When you are ready, do post or PM, ja? I will miss your posts! Hugs!
                          Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                          Just want to reiterate what everyone else has said V, best wishes, hope you get better and quickly, hopefully you'll pop by now and again.
                          And those.

I've spent most of me life laughing, or is it laughing at life, either way my memory's pants, I can forget what I was planning to do on the way the toilet, which can be awkward....

I dunno, it worked for pot noodle....
                          That made me laugh. If I had a dollar for every time I've gone into a room to do one thing, then did something else, then had to return to do the original thing, I'd have a lot of dollars. Also, if I have to do more than one thing in a specific room, I often have to return to that room as many times as there are tasks. LOL

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                          saw this and thought of you...
                          LOL! True love!

Not the best photo, but saw this and had to....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          *laughing at da guys*
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• If anyone is going to succumb to the siren song of plush toys, I highly recommend these: Amazon.com: Jellycat Cordy Roy Lion Md 15": Toys & Games. And they are washable.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

ď"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                              If anyone is going to succumb to the siren song of plush toys, I highly recommend these: Amazon.com: Jellycat Cordy Roy Lion Md 15": Toys & Games. And they are washable.

Totally adorable. They have so many! I really like the spotted zebra - artistic license.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• from yesterday Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Today I am grateful for energy. Mine.

It floors me that there are still people who think that SAHMs and SAHWs donít have real jobs. This is because apparently, bending over and grabbing oneís ankles for some corporation who thinks of you as dispo-labor is more ďreal.Ē Peel me off the floor from laughing. The dumbing-down of America is complete.

Weíve come full circle. 50 years ago, women who worked outside the home if they didnít ďhave toĒ were considered odd, now women who have chosen to not work outside the home are considered to not have ďreal jobs.Ē I hate to sound like a bra-burner, but really, women putting down other women for not choosing a specific lifestyle is so 80s.

Just informative stuff: http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson...row-themselves and
                                17 Plants You Grow from Kitchen Scraps - Black Thumb GardenerBlack Thumb Gardener There are some duplicates in the two articles.

A small bzitch: In NOLA, if you donít have your spring cleaning done by the last week in March, you might find yourself cleaning out closets in 90 degree heat. My fault really. I got here the last week in April 2011 and it was hot. So, I know better than to wait for spring to do spring cleaning. Yet here I am.

Playing in my kitchen. Iíve made what I think of as ďpesto starter,Ē which is just basil and olive oil processed to almost paste, then frozen in a sheet. I donít salt, garlic, nut, or Parmesan it until I use it because I never know what Iím going to use it for.

With some more of the basil, I was going to make basil-infused simple syrup. Except that it occurred to me that Iíd bought Hibiscus simple syrup from the same vendor that I bought the basil, and I was truly unimpressed with the Hibiscus. So, I poured that into a pot, added a bit of water, then added some basil and let that steep. It worked.

And I roasted ĺ of a head of cauliflower. Itís occurring to me at this late stage of my life that it isnít that I donít like salads, itís that other than cucumbers and tomatoes (and I believe both are technically fruit), I donít like many raw veggies. But cooked veggies that are then chilled are lovely. And yes, Iím a dumbass for roasting veggies in 90+ degree heat.

No matter what I do, the kitchen is going to be hot in this weather. I call these railroad flats, but Iím not sure if that translates. Itís one room after another in a straight line. Thereís an air conditioner in the living room. Then thereís the kitchen with no a/c. Then my bedroom, which thankfully has a very powerful a/c, then the bathroom. So, if I want to really cool off the kitchen, Iíd have to run both air conditioners. I would probably do it for company, but as it is, I can usually get what I need done quickly, and then run into the cool of the living room or (more likely) the bedroom.

I was just getting ready to parboil and then freeze some beet greens when I realized that I was drenched in sweat and that I hadnít had a glass of water in awhile. So, I blew that off until tomorrow.

Canít remember if I ever posted this. When I first moved here, I guess you could say that I ate CW with a side of SAD. All my meat was Walmart meat (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking about that). I had bought a whole chicken (no doubt soaked in a sodium solution to plump up the bird and the price), and the weather was so hot, that I didnít want to roast it. Finally, because I really do like chicken, I set my alarm for 2 or 3am, and roasted that bird. I waited for it to get room temp, which I hastened by cutting it into pieces, put it in the fridge, and went back to sleep. I may be ancient, but Iím adaptable.

I also threw away a ton of stuff. Magazines, notebooks, old bills. You know, itís just stubbornness that makes me not go paperless on the bills. I pay all my bills, except for my rent, online. So, why wonít I go paperless? Because they wonít share the savings. Just to show you how little I use the USPS, the last time I mailed anything, a first class letter cost 44c. Itís now 49cents. But no one is offering me that 49c for going paperless. Nor are they offering twenty-four cents and sharing the savings with me. So eff them. They can send me a paper bill and incur expense (though they get a better rate for metered mail), and Iíll pay online and save the 49cents. Those greedy suckwads can rim me. LOL.

It feels good to be getting this stuff done. My ass hurts, so I guess I worked my glutes, even though I donít remember what I did that would do so. My calves and quads donít hurt, but I can feel them, and again I donít know what I did to make that so. So, while walking is in my mind the best exercise I can do for longevity and health, the occasional bending and lifting enough to stress other muscles a little is good also.

Oddly enough, baba ghanoush is a really nice replacement for mayonnaise. If you just want something gooey and lush, itís not a bad way to go.

Color me exhausted. The heat finally conquered me.

In the name of fun:

Not really an autocorrect, but stillÖ

Peace,
                                J

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                                X