B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 2

And because I just had to have the recipe for a Kale Cocktail: Make a Garden Fresh Kale Cocktail : HGTV Gardens

Kale Cocktail

1.5 ounces gin (gin with minimal juniper works best)
    .5 ounce Cynar (Italian artichoke liqueur)
    .25 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
    1.5 ounces kale syrup (this is just kale infused simple syrup)
    3-4 dashes orange bitters
    Smoked salt and pink peppercorn rim (recipe to follow)

Add all ingredients (except salt and pepper) to a large shaker. Add ice, shake and strain into coupe or martini glass.

That sounds delicious! The only changes Iíd make would be to ditch all the ingredients except the gin, the martini glass, and the shaker. Stir the gin in the ice. Strain/pour into martini glass. Whisper the word, ďvermouth,Ē over the gin. Add an olive. Drink.

Random silliness:

Itís after 9pm and all Iíve had to eat is a liver snack and some coffee. I. Must. Eat.

Peace,
    J
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      LOL - you having a crude thought? Who'd a thunk it?
      Lol, yeah must've been a bit of a shock....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      LOL - that's AlphaB*tch (from Misabi's post in Doc's journal). Thank you!
      And don't you forget it....*said in a menacing accent*!!

According to this link: United State State Population Projections 2060 U.S. Trends , people over the age of 50 in the U.S. are now 34% of the population. Just a smidge over one in three.

And for what earth-shattering reason do I want to know this? Because I’m getting pretty tired of hearing about TV shows getting cancelled because they don’t appeal to the all-important 18-49 demographic. [/b*tch]

Today I’m grateful for a full freezer. Variety. Beef, organs, bones, bone broth, chicken feet, catfish, salmon, and shrimp. On Wednesday, I’ll add some chicken, goat, and lamb to my stash. It’s a small freezer, but when I take a moment to think about the world rather than my small corner of it, I realize that it would be a bounty to some. Not to the folks up in the hills (figuratively speaking, because I think the highest point in New Orleans is 26’ above sea level), who eat caviar the way I eat chicken liver. But surely to the folks who scrape for every bite. And when I think of them, I know that if I prayed, my knees would surely hit the floor in that moment.
      You'll have to start watching the shopping channel, or some other similar tat....Your freezer sounds a bigger than mine for tiny, I doubt I could get half of that in mine....No chance of altitude sickness living in NO then....And can't say Kale is one of my favourites!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
        Lol, yeah must've been a bit of a shock....

And don't you forget it....*said in a menacing accent*!!

You'll have to start watching the shopping channel, or some other similar tat....Your freezer sounds a bigger than mine for tiny, I doubt I could get half of that in mine....No chance of altitude sickness living in NO then....And can't say Kale is one of my favourites!
        I think maybe we Americans think big when it comes to refrigerators and freezers. Mine is just the one over the standard contractor's grade refrigerator. Sometimes when I see ads for refrigerators, I think, "I've lived in studio apartments that were about that size." I would imagine that Costco and buying quarter and half animals would necessitate much more space than I have. I do okay with mine, but anything odd, like a bag of chicken feet or a chicken carcass is shaped oddly and that can cause me to have to do some rearranging.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• I have one too many refrigerators. Our fridge from our old house, a beautiful stainless steel one, is now our garage fridge since it was two inches too wide for the space. It was in storage when we bought this house and it wasn't until the movers were trying to fit it in that we discovered it. If Hubby could have found a mallet or sledge hammer, we would have had a wall to repair instead of buying a new, much cheaper fridge. I also have a small chest freezer in the garage, which is 2/3 full of pastured pork. Since I am picking half a gf steer tomorrow, I have some cleaning and rearranging to do! Hubby does like having a dedicated beer fridge.

Kale makes great food for my composting worms. It is also pretty good in lentil soup, the kale, not the worms.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
            I have one too many refrigerators. Our fridge from our old house, a beautiful stainless steel one, is now our garage fridge since it was two inches too wide for the space. It was in storage when we bought this house and it wasn't until the movers were trying to fit it in that we discovered it. If Hubby could have found a mallet or sledge hammer, we would have had a wall to repair instead of buying a new, much cheaper fridge. I also have a small chest freezer in the garage, which is 2/3 full of pastured pork. Since I am picking half a gf steer tomorrow, I have some cleaning and rearranging to do! Hubby does like having a dedicated beer fridge.

Kale makes great food for my composting worms. It is also pretty good in lentil soup, the kale, not the worms.
            Your post makes me long for the days when I had a house with an extra fridge down in the basement. I think the worms in the soup would be good. Probably need to chop them up so they don't look like worms. Protein. But, we've been indoctrinated to think worms are bad. I mean, I'd take a bet, and collect for eating a worm, but in everyday life, I'd probably take a pass unless it could be hidden.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              Your post makes me long for the days when I had a house with an extra fridge down in the basement. I think the worms in the soup would be good. Probably need to chop them up so they don't look like worms. Protein. But, we've been indoctrinated to think worms are bad. I mean, I'd take a bet, and collect for eating a worm, but in everyday life, I'd probably take a pass unless it could be hidden.
              The Twits! Wormy spaghetti.

I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                I have one too many refrigerators. Our fridge from our old house, a beautiful stainless steel one, is now our garage fridge since it was two inches too wide for the space. It was in storage when we bought this house and it wasn't until the movers were trying to fit it in that we discovered it. If Hubby could have found a mallet or sledge hammer, we would have had a wall to repair instead of buying a new, much cheaper fridge. I also have a small chest freezer in the garage, which is 2/3 full of pastured pork. Since I am picking half a gf steer tomorrow, I have some cleaning and rearranging to do!
                I wouldn't be able to get meself in me garage let alone me car with that lot in there, I envies you!

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                Hubby does like having a dedicated beer fridge.
                Good man!

Think I'd prefer the worms....

Blending the soup would probably be the go....And if its good enough for other critters to eat them, it should be good enough for us, not strictly a worm but they eats witchetty grubs in Oz, and I don't find either of them overly appetising mind....

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                  LOL!

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                  I wouldn't be able to get meself in me garage let alone me car with that lot in there, I envies you!

Good man!

Think I'd prefer the worms....

Blending the soup would probably be the go....And if its good enough for other critters to eat them, it should be good enough for us, not strictly a worm but they eats witchetty grubs in Oz, and I don't find either of them overly appetising mind....
                  That's a great idea! Then when asked what that delicious soup was, you could calmly answer, "Cream of Worm."

B*tch-lite

Comment

• From yesterday.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Today I’m grateful for the people in my life – both the ones whom I can visit, and the ones online. Though I have sometimes joked that people online are merely lines of text to me, I hope you all know that I only mean that in reference to the turds. There are some great people here, and you certainly mean so much more to me than lines of text.

I put up some pickled eggs this morning. They’ll be ready to eat on the 22nd of this month. As usual, I just glanced at instructions, then did my own thing. Did I sterilize the jar? No. Did I bring the vinegar and spices to a boil before adding them? No. I never have before, and they came out just fine. And since I’m writing about it, I didn’t get poisoned from lack of sterilization. The only reason I even looked at instructions was that I hadn’t made them in a couple of years, and I wanted to make sure I remembered how.

These won’t be pink because I had neither beet juice (I rarely do) nor red wine vinegar in the house. The ACV will make them beige, but as long as they taste good, I’m a happy camper. Pink eggs are cool though. I used pickling spice, a smidge of cayenne, two cloves of garlic smashed, a sprig of cilantro, and a 2:1 ratio of vinegar to water. (Anywhere from all vinegar to 1:1 works well.) I didn’t use salt because I’ve noticed that vinegar + salt tends to overpower things for me.

I noticed something today that I never noticed before (probably because I was a basket case by the time I left OR). Peeling lukewarm hard-boiled eggs is about a gazillion times faster than the hard boiled eggs I make ahead and put in the fridge. I peeled a half dozen in the time it usually takes me to peel two – which is hardly a gazillion times faster, but it felt like it was.

Ooh, I almost forgot a step that I think improves them. Every day, gently agitate the eggs in the brine. Speak to them encouragingly. “Oh, you’re just going to be the best eggs ever in a couple of weeks. Yes you are.”

The weather is beautiful and I’m about ready to go take a shower and go for a walk. The only thing marring it is the roadwork being done a block away. It sounds like they’re playing catch with dumpsters and often not catching them. Uhm… cancel that. Not the walk, the weather being beautiful. ‘Tis raining again. I have to go out again to do a chore (won’t drive if it’s <1 mile), but getting rainwater on my hair is probably a good thing.

Using things ‘til they squeak for mercy. I’ve used Ivory soap since I was a kid. I’ve occasionally tried other soaps only to get either a rash or zits. The bars eventually get small. Those go on the vanity in the loo for handwashing. They get smaller still. Those go into a re-used small squirt bottle that once was the home for dishwashing liquid. Add water and it’s something with which to wash my hands in the kitchen.

As I realized in horror (mock horror) that I was out of facial scrub, it occurred to me that I have salt. I put some salt in a small jar (I save just about everything that can be washed and re-used) and added enough of the homemade liquid Ivory to make a paste. Nice. Not only is it cheap, but it’s probably safe because the salt would most likely dissolve before it would micro-tear your skin. After the scrub, 10 minutes with some bentonite goo on my face and I’m a new woman.

None of this would work for people with dry skin, I imagine, but I’m thinking that salt and coconut oil might be nice. Or sugar and coconut oil. I haven’t a clue as to what people with dry skin do for masks. (Honey and oatmeal, maybe?) The bentonite is also something I’ve used since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Not the most exciting thing in the world, but what do you do when it’s raining buckets?

I hafta brag. I was at a deli today, bantering with the guy behind the counter. We talked about getting old. He asked me how old I was and if I was as old as he. I asked him how old he was. 34! Bwahahahaha! I told him that if I went to college and got a bachelor’s degree, then waited two years to have a baby, I’d be old enough to be his mother.

I went to college, but I waited ‘til I was out of high school for two years, then went on the party plan, so I was closer to 29 than 22 when I finally graduated.

It’s most likely the hair. If I don’t pull it back, there’s no gray showing. Just genes.

For fun:

That’s just marketing genius! Not.

Thank goodness; I wouldn’t want any additives in my puke.

This is an example of why you never try out new recipes on guests.

Me either, Kitty. Me either.

Peace and love, babies,
                    J
                    Last edited by JoanieL; 04-09-2014, 10:21 AM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• As I realized in horror (mock horror) that I was out of facial scrub, it occurred to me that I have salt. I put some salt in a small jar (I save just about everything that can be washed and re-used) and added enough of the homemade liquid Ivory to make a paste. Nice. Not only is it cheap, but it’s probably safe because the salt would most likely dissolve before it would micro-tear your skin. After the scrub, 10 minutes with some bentonite goo on my face and I’m a new woman.

None of this would work for people with dry skin, I imagine, but I’m thinking that salt and coconut oil might be nice. Or sugar and coconut oil. I haven’t a clue as to what people with dry skin do for masks. (Honey and oatmeal, maybe?) The bentonite is also something I’ve used since dinosaurs roamed the earth.
                      Dry skin masks - I do a honey/avocado mask, that is nice for moisturizing the skin and making it glowy. For the rest of the body, I've been liking citrusy, sugar scrubs with oils mixed in. I don't make this! I've been trolling Marshall's for their cheap beauty products - I think my current one has Argan oil.

Comment

• The cutest animal ever: melt at the Power of Sloth - in pictures | Children's books | theguardian.com

you're welcome.
                        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Not the most exciting thing in the world, but what do you do when itís raining buckets?
                          Nothing out of the ordinary, normal conditions over here, saying that it's lovely today, at the moment....

I put up some pickled eggs this morning. Theyíll be ready to eat on the 22nd of this month. As usual, I just glanced at instructions, then did my own thing. Did I sterilize the jar? No. Did I bring the vinegar and spices to a boil before adding them? No. I never have before, and they came out just fine. And since Iím writing about it, I didnít get poisoned from lack of sterilization. The only reason I even looked at instructions was that I hadnít made them in a couple of years, and I wanted to make sure I remembered how.
                          Loves me some pickled eggs, can't say that I've ever sterilised the jar either, just give it a bit of a swill and crack on, I normally chuck in a dose of dried chillies as well, just to give it that jer ner sasquatch!

I hafta brag. I was at a deli today, bantering with the guy behind the counter. We talked about getting old. He asked me how old I was and if I was as old as he. I asked him how old he was. 34! Bwahahahaha! I told him that if I went to college and got a bachelorís degree, then waited two years to have a baby, Iíd be old enough to be his mother.

I went to college, but I waited Ďtil I was out of high school for two years, then went on the party plan, so I was closer to 29 than 22 when I finally graduated.

Itís most likely the hair. If I donít pull it back, thereís no gray showing. Just genes.
                          I stop the grey hair showing by shaving it all off, not very practicle in your case, but....and I'd take that compliment anyday!

Gots to get me some of that gum, lol....

Number 7's a classic....

Comment

• Those baby slothes were so cute!

I may have to try pickling some eggs. The rancher I got my beef from yesterday gave me two dozen eggs along with my side of beef. I am not one to turn down fresh free range eggs, even though I had just bought two dozen from the store. I have eaten six since yesterday so far because hubby has been traveling and eggs are easy to make. They are pretty colors too, pink, blue and cream.

I committed a grievous sin in the name of getting all my beef into the freezers: I took Hubby's beer mugs out of the freezer. I put them in the fridge but I may lose the good wife award anyway. We are having carne asada tonight!

When I start getting significant amounts of grey, I going to start dying my hair purple.

Urban Forger, how was your trip and your son's appointment, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
                              Dry skin masks - I do a honey/avocado mask, that is nice for moisturizing the skin and making it glowy. For the rest of the body, I've been liking citrusy, sugar scrubs with oils mixed in. I don't make this! I've been trolling Marshall's for their cheap beauty products - I think my current one has Argan oil.
                              Lol on making them. I think if I put avocado on my face, by the time it came time to wash it off, I'd have already eaten it. Which is totally gross, I know.

O.M.G. I screen captured every single pic. Thank you!

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                              Nothing out of the ordinary, normal conditions over here, saying that it's lovely today, at the moment....

Loves me some pickled eggs, can't say that I've ever sterilised the jar either, just give it a bit of a swill and crack on, I normally chuck in a dose of dried chillies as well, just to give it that jer ner sasquatch!

I stop the grey hair showing by shaving it all off, not very practicle in your case, but....and I'd take that compliment anyday!

Gots to get me some of that gum, lol....

Number 7's a classic....
                              "jer ner sasquatch!" LMAO. Never heard that before and it suits you (in a good way).

Yes, a person with a phobia about someone cutting off all her hair probably wouldn't shave her own head, even if she had the face for it (and I don't).

Those baby slothes were so cute!

I may have to try pickling some eggs. The rancher I got my beef from yesterday gave me two dozen eggs along with my side of beef. I am not one to turn down fresh free range eggs, even though I had just bought two dozen from the store. I have eaten six since yesterday so far because hubby has been traveling and eggs are easy to make. They are pretty colors too, pink, blue and cream.

I committed a grievous sin in the name of getting all my beef into the freezers: I took Hubby's beer mugs out of the freezer. I put them in the fridge but I may lose the good wife award anyway. We are having carne asada tonight!

When I start getting significant amounts of grey, I going to start dying my hair purple.

Urban Forger, how was your trip and your son's appointment, if you don't mind me asking?
                              Uh oh on the mugs. I know I like my frosted shot glasses, so I'm guessing frosted mugs are much the same. Beer... It's going to be hot here fairly soon. Already having weather getting up to 77F. The occasional icy cold beer is one of the best things about hot weather.

I had purple streaks put in my hair a few years ago (and bought new glasses to update my look). Had the rest dyed black. It was the first time I'd ever done a coloring professionally. A nice splurge, but I gotta tell you, the color didn't last any longer than when I do it myself, and where she bleached the streaks before applying the purple faded quickly. I covered the whole thing in black eventually. But the white growing at my right temple might be ripe for some brightness. Because it's so hidden most of the time, I'm thinking magenta might not be bad. Maybe I could dye the (not very much) carpet to match the curtains. heh.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Yesterday

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

My brain is on vacation today. Oops. Start the day with something grateful. Got it. Today Iím grateful for the Good Eggs delivery thatís coming this afternoon. Iím going to make curried goat burgers with feta cheese for supper tonight. That made me smile, so maybe this starting the day with something about which to be grateful isnít just hippie poo.

This recipe for pork rillettes looks stunning: Pork Rillettes | The Paupered Chef. The French call it Confiture de cochon, or pig jam. Pig jam sounds so cute. It would be a good excuse to render some of the fat I have frozen. Which would free up space in the freezer. Little things seem to have ripple effects. And to buy some pork.

If you are even remotely interested in science fiction, might I recommend Watch Defiance Online - Free at Hulu I really like this show. Though there are a lot of odd characters, there is also a plot and it addresses issues like prejudice, etc. Hulu has the first season for free, but it expires in five days. Season two commences in June 2014. Also, if you loved Mia Kirshner in The L Word, sheís back in this show. She sadly isnít going to be back for season two (I think).

Small PSA. I just placed an order with Amazon. Instead of taking me to the page where I select the shipping method, it just placed the order. I went to my email to see if it was the same amount as my scratch sheet, and sure enough, there was a $19.35 charge for shipping. I went back in to change my order and selected free shipping. Just be aware.

Thatís all Iíve got. Brain tired.

So, fun:

Bunnyrolles are apparently much harder than they look.

If you like SPAM, youíll love chicken in a can!

Sure, hop on in!

XOXO,
                                J

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                                X