B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
    ROFL add me to the list of people who LOL'd about this. I love liver, Sweetie does not. He does, however, like brownies.

Hmm, maybe I could get him to accidentally eat liver this way?

OMG... I would be SOOOO PISSED!!! lol

Comment

• And Happy Bitchapalooza-day! I know, I'm a day late and a couple of dollars short..... better late than never!

Squarefoot gardening is a pretty cool concept, if you have limited space. I tried it, and with the amount of space I need to grow the stuff I grow, it doesn't work as well as row crops do. If you have limited time and space, it's a good way to get veggies in a small amount of space.

Agree with you on the cold coffee thing... naaaasty...

Comment

• Happy birthday! I get those Vitacost emails too. I've opened all of one of them to get a coupon that was expired no less. Now I just ignore them lol. Whole foods don't have a lot of added value. Gotta make as much of the "superfood" consumers as possible, ya know?

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          [/center]
          a real man loves his woman every day of the month
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

• Belated bitchapalooza birthday felicitations J, hope you celebrated accordingly!

Me brothers FIL done that with the kettle, oh how I chuckled.....the pics are still killing me....

I'm gonna start saving so I can buy one of they seaweed snack bars, in maybe 10 or 15 years and that pasta looks ding dong....

Comment

• Possession by AS Byatt
              Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey
              Sorry, I cannot help myself...
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                Impossible to answer, but here is a good place to start

I'd add...
                The Mill on the Floss - George Elliot
                Orlando - Virginia Woolf (and/or Mrs Dalloway)
                Written on the Body - Jeanette Winterson (and/or Oranges are not the Only Fruit)
                The Bone People - Keri Hulme
                By Grand Central Station I sat Down and Wept - Elizabeth Smart
                The Sea, The Sea - Iris Murdoch
                The Siege of Krishnapur - JG Farrell
                What a Carve Up! - Jonathon Coe
                Money - Martin Amis
                Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (I like War and Peace too, but it is a less perfect novel)
                Emma - Jane Austin (and/or Pride and Prejudice and/or Persuasion)
                Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert

Also, happy birthday
                I'm making a list of books to read this summer when the heat makes many of us down here into prisoners of air conditioning - thank you!

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                OMG... I would be SOOOO PISSED!!! lol
                It would freak me out also. The reverse would be just as freaky. Biting into what one thought was a liver snack and getting a chocolate brownie would be odd.

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                And Happy Bitchapalooza-day! I know, I'm a day late and a couple of dollars short..... better late than never!

Squarefoot gardening is a pretty cool concept, if you have limited space. I tried it, and with the amount of space I need to grow the stuff I grow, it doesn't work as well as row crops do. If you have limited time and space, it's a good way to get veggies in a small amount of space.

Agree with you on the cold coffee thing... naaaasty...
                I saw a really cool raised bed thingy on Amazon - really raised, like you don't have to bend at all which would save my knees. Only eight square feet, but I'm only one slightly ovoid person.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                Happy birthday! I get those Vitacost emails too. I've opened all of one of them to get a coupon that was expired no less. Now I just ignore them lol. Whole foods don't have a lot of added value. Gotta make as much of the "superfood" consumers as possible, ya know?
                I'm confused. I get how your snailmail might take a long time, but how can email arrive late? I like them for some things. In fact, I'm ordering 40% off on a couple of supplements - gotta do it by 9am! For the most part, they're like a Walmart for hippies.

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                a real man loves his woman every day of the month
                Yes, he does! A while ago, somebody on the forums referred to his "red beard of courage," or some such, and I got a chuckle out of it.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                Belated bitchapalooza birthday felicitations J, hope you celebrated accordingly!

Me brothers FIL done that with the kettle, oh how I chuckled.....the pics are still killing me....

I'm gonna start saving so I can buy one of they seaweed snack bars, in maybe 10 or 15 years and that pasta looks ding dong....
                The journal just wanted a quiet dinner at home, but of course I obliged. Turns out the journal and I both love catfish.

Back in the days before microwaves, my mother once commented on how stupid people must be when the directions on the TV dinners had to contain the instructions to, "remove plastic cover before placing in oven." And I once read a review on Amazon of a small stove top espresso pot that stated that while it made good enough espresso, the instructions hadn't warned him not to put the plastic handle over the burner. Umm... that's because freakin' life comes with those instructions. Don't put plastic over fire. Didn't we all learn this the first time we set a Barbie doll's head on fire?

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                Happy Birthday Joanie!
                Thank you! My bday is later in the month, but Bitchapalooza turned one yesterday.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                Possession by AS Byatt
                Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey
                Sorry, I cannot help myself...
                LOL - thank you much. Jotting them all down in my ever-present notebook.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Brownies?!?! Who is making brownies?? Can I have some?! And they had better be the fudgy kind - cake brownies ain't brownies at all, those are a damned chocolate cake, so don't call it a brownie just because you baked it in a low and wide pan and cut it into a square. (Yup - Primal hell for me is choosing between a steak and a fudge brownie...)

Books: I am not much of a fiction reader, but my sinful pleasure is keeping up with Regency romance writer Stephanie Laurens. No others. At least she has overarching themes of multi-gen families working together and strong women in between the steamed-up pages. At 20+ books, it has been really fun to see how all her characters develop as they mature and age, and how she manages to create new people with enough development that each is a distinct personality.

Happy first birthday, palooza!
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                    Brownies?!?! Who is making brownies?? Can I have some?! And they had better be the fudgy kind - cake brownies ain't brownies at all, those are a damned chocolate cake, so don't call it a brownie just because you baked it in a low and wide pan and cut it into a square. (Yup - Primal hell for me is choosing between a steak and a fudge brownie...)

Books: I am not much of a fiction reader, but my sinful pleasure is keeping up with Regency romance writer Stephanie Laurens. No others. At least she has overarching themes of multi-gen families working together and strong women in between the steamed-up pages. At 20+ books, it has been really fun to see how all her characters develop as they mature and age, and how she manages to create new people with enough development that each is a distinct personality.

Happy first birthday, palooza!
                    Palooza and I thank you!

I'm with you on the "flat cakes aren't brownies" concept. As to steak vs brownies, it would totally depend on the quality of each and on my mood. A grass fed burger topped with tomato and onion on something other than a air-bun would win over both every time.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      I'm confused. I get how your snailmail might take a long time, but how can email arrive late? I like them for some things. In fact, I'm ordering 40% off on a couple of supplements - gotta do it by 9am! For the most part, they're like a Walmart for hippies.
                      It was only valid for like a week so by the time I was done with work and had time to sit down and do some shopping it was expired. Hehe my last order was like, so paleo: vitamin d/k, probiotics, support, sunflower seeds, lots of olive oil, and smoked clams. The only thing I was missing was something coconut.

Comment

• Was going to leave a somewhat crude comment about the red badge of courage, but thought better of it....the quote did made me chortle....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        The journal just wanted a quiet dinner at home, but of course I obliged. Turns out the journal and I both love catfish.
                        That's fortuitous, you gots to love a bit of catfish!

Back in the days before microwaves, my mother once commented on how stupid people must be when the directions on the TV dinners had to contain the instructions to, "remove plastic cover before placing in oven." And I once read a review on Amazon of a small stove top espresso pot that stated that while it made good enough espresso, the instructions hadn't warned him not to put the plastic handle over the burner. Umm... that's because freakin' life comes with those instructions. Don't put plastic over fire. Didn't we all learn this the first time we set a Barbie doll's head on fire?
                        Lol, it's pity Amazon don't flog common sense....Didn't play with too many Barbies when I was a nipper, so I'll take your word for it that they flambe well....

Comment

• Happy Birthday, B*tch! (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Didn't we all learn this the first time we set a Barbie doll's head on fire?
                          My brother and I used to pull the heads off my Barbies and blow them up with firecrackers (the heads and bodies both). I hated Barbies. I played with my brother's Tonka trucks and Matchbox cars.

*My* kids did a more modern version: they put My Little Ponies (the plastic ones) into the microwave. Less hazardous to the kids, more hazardous to the microwave. I had to laugh, though!

Comment

• Happy B!tchapalooza Day!!! This year has flown by.

I would share my list of books but next to Badger, I am a little embarrassed. I tend to like more pulpy stuff. Nonfiction is whatever is floating my boat at the moment, like silversmithing, history, diet or exercise. Read about Paul Revere and you get silversmithing AND history!

I must have been the only one to have tea parties with my Barbies. They were the only dolls we had that my sister hadn't poked the eyes out of. The dolls that used to have the eyes that opened and closed would freak her out so she would gouge out their eyes. THAT was not creepy at all! I still love tea parties!

I say do it on the raised bed! I love mine. You would be amazed at how much you can fit in. I am going to harvest my first batch of lettuce today. Some of my seeds were old so not everything grew. I am going to pick up more lettuce seeds today and fill in the areas that are not growing well. I should have radishes soon and chard in a week or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                              Was going to leave a somewhat crude comment about the red badge of courage, but thought better of it....the quote did made me chortle....

That's fortuitous, you gots to love a bit of catfish!

Lol, it's pity Amazon don't flog common sense....Didn't play with too many Barbies when I was a nipper, so I'll take your word for it that they flambe well....
                              LOL - you having a crude thought? Who'd a thunk it?

I actually did play nice with my Barbie, but then one day, my brother was outside in his baby pool being fussy, and as big sis, it was my "job" to make him laugh, so I swiped some wooden matches and set Barbie's hair on fire. It melted her head, too. He laughed; my job was done. My mother just shook her head at my logic that there's was nothing dangerous because of all the water in the baby pool.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                              Happy Birthday, B*tch! (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

My brother and I used to pull the heads off my Barbies and blow them up with firecrackers (the heads and bodies both). I hated Barbies. I played with my brother's Tonka trucks and Matchbox cars.

*My* kids did a more modern version: they put My Little Ponies (the plastic ones) into the microwave. Less hazardous to the kids, more hazardous to the microwave. I had to laugh, though!
                              LOL - that's AlphaB*tch (from Misabi's post in Doc's journal). Thank you!

Microwaving toys sounds like fun. There are all kinds of sites online on how different things react to being put in microwaves. I liked my Barbies all right, but making little bro' laugh or blow milk out of his nose was more interactive. I was five and a half when he was born, and I thought he was the coolest toy ever!

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                              Happy B!tchapalooza Day!!! This year has flown by.

I would share my list of books but next to Badger, I am a little embarrassed. I tend to like more pulpy stuff. Nonfiction is whatever is floating my boat at the moment, like silversmithing, history, diet or exercise. Read about Paul Revere and you get silversmithing AND history!

I must have been the only one to have tea parties with my Barbies. They were the only dolls we had that my sister hadn't poked the eyes out of. The dolls that used to have the eyes that opened and closed would freak her out so she would gouge out their eyes. THAT was not creepy at all! I still love tea parties!

I say do it on the raised bed! I love mine. You would be amazed at how much you can fit in. I am going to harvest my first batch of lettuce today. Some of my seeds were old so not everything grew. I am going to pick up more lettuce seeds today and fill in the areas that are not growing well. I should have radishes soon and chard in a week or two.
                              Thank you! It has flown by. I don't remember if I mentioned it when I started it, but this was also an exercise for me because I'd been having some heavy duty commitment issues. Not normal ones, but things like not furnishing my apt at first so I could get out in a moment's notice. When the cat died, it exacerbated it, so I thought I'd make a one year commitment to something. Now it's a fun habit. And I have furniture. Now if only I'd hang stuff on the walls...

I'm still pondering the raised bed. The neighbors that grow the peppers in the back told me that someone stole one of their pepper plants. They do a good bunch of gardening in big plastic buckets or trash cans. I think if I can figure a way to secure the raised bed so no one can steal it, I may just go for it.

ETA: Pulpy stuff is fine. If I told you that two of my favorite authors are Joyce Carol Oates and Alice Hoffman, would you feel more comfortable?
                              Last edited by JoanieL; 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Monday, April 07, 2014 - two parter

According to this link: United State State Population Projections 2060 U.S. Trends , people over the age of 50 in the U.S. are now 34% of the population. Just a smidge over one in three.

And for what earth-shattering reason do I want to know this? Because Iím getting pretty tired of hearing about TV shows getting cancelled because they donít appeal to the all-important 18-49 demographic. [/b*tch]

Today Iím grateful for a full freezer. Variety. Beef, organs, bones, bone broth, chicken feet, catfish, salmon, and shrimp. On Wednesday, Iíll add some chicken, goat, and lamb to my stash. Itís a small freezer, but when I take a moment to think about the world rather than my small corner of it, I realize that it would be a bounty to some. Not to the folks up in the hills (figuratively speaking, because I think the highest point in New Orleans is 26í above sea level), who eat caviar the way I eat chicken liver. But surely to the folks who scrape for every bite. And when I think of them, I know that if I prayed, my knees would surely hit the floor in that moment.

Speaking of knees hitting the floorÖ My grandmother was the oldest of six. Her father was a coal miner for awhile. When there was a cave-in, an alarm would sound. And, when the alarm would sound, my great-grandmother would take her rosary beads out of her apron pocket and knees to the floor, start praying. Seems to have worked since he lived to his mid-80s.

Back when I used to be a bit of a comedy club groupie, there was a comedian who used to say that he grew up in Seattle where he learned a saying that was handed down from generation to generation: ďF***! Itís still raining!Ē

So, good morning, everyone. As I look out my kitchen window, I think, ďF***! Itís still raining!Ē And it makes me smile.

Mistaking the need for sleep for hunger. I generally recognize this when itís happening, but not yesterday. The neighbors stayed up late and loud Saturday night Ė apparently a howling dog at 1:am is effing hilarious when one is drunk Ė so my sleep was disrupted. Not realizing how tired I was, I managed to eat about ĺ of what I normally eat before 2pm. Totally not what I usually do, which is to eat about ĺ of my food after 6pm. So, supper last night was just catfish and salsa. No rice. But, no grumbly stomach either, so that was good.

Thereís no BM like IBM. The S/360 is 50 years old. Why won't you DIE? IBM's S/360 and its legacy at 50

Itís all part of the whole. Deserts Can Help Reduce The Effect Of Global Warming : Trending News : Fashion Times

Things other than toys that are fun to microwave:

And if you want to see more without trashing your own microwave, go here: 16 Things You Should Never Microwave

Do you like kale? I have to admit that of all the greens Iíve ever tasted, kale is one I wonít ever buy again. Itís tough and it tastes like the worst end of the green spectrum to me. So, I found this amusing: 21 Signs Our National Kale Obsession Is Out Of Control I canít post 21 pics in a post, so go to the link if you want pics or recipes; comments (except the last one) are the authorís.
                                • Kale Baked Eggs. Cute enough that I will overlook how much easier a kale omelette would be.
                                • ďCheezeyĒ Kale Chips. Tell yourself what you need to, but letís not pretend these are Cheez-Its, k?
                                • Pickled Kale. Just because you CAN pickle that, doesnít mean you SHOULD.
                                • Raw Kale Noodles. Iím gonna take the fact that these are no longer available for purchase as a good sign.
                                • Apple Kale Muffins. If you insist on adding kale to your muffins, be sure to also add apples, honey, and anything else that will hide the taste of the VEGETABLE IN YOUR MUFFIN.
                                • Candy Kale Chips. OMG this is so funny because I was literally just like, you know what would make great candy? KALE.
                                • Kale Cocktail. I donít even care about the pure absurdity of this: It has my full support.
                                • Frozen Kale Cubes. HAHAHAHA KALE ICE CUBESSSSSS??!?! THAT IS RIDICULOUS. Oh what? Theyíre for smoothies? Oh OK. NM.
                                • Iím sorry Iím confused. If you want kale in your pizza, why not just make it a topping? Or put it in the dough, your call.
                                • Kale Brownies. Sorry to go there but seeing the green specks in the brownies make me uncomfortable.
                                • Kale and Spinach Sauce. I like kale and I like sauce but that doesnít mean I want kale sauce.
                                • Cheezy Kale Crackers. Trying not to judge. Trying not to judge. Trying not to judge.
                                • Chocolate Chip Kale Cookies. : (
                                • Cowboy Kale Jerky. Totally easy to make, if you have a dehydrator and 5Ė8 hours to spare.
                                • Goat Cheese and Kale Egg Bake. You know what goes perfectly with kale? Azodicarbonamide, aka the yoga mat chemical. Yup, itís in the Pillsburyís product the recipe calls for.
                                • Chocolate Kale Fudge Pops. Iím pretty sure the cup of sugar cancels out the cup of kale, health-wise.
                                • Kale Butter. WHY.
                                • Vegan Kale Spice Cake. Tell them itís real cake and then laugh laugh laugh when they eat it.
                                • Avocado Kale Ice Cream. This isnít fair to kale or ice cream or avocados or chocolate chips or you.
                                • Vegan Kale Cupcakes. Ugh, BROOKLYN.
                                • Kale Soda. Seems the beloved Hansenís has jumped on to the kale bandwagon with a kale soda.

ContinuedÖ

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                                X