B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    yep the next adventure is just around the corner.
    Althou first we are flyng to Perth, via melbourne, on thursday - back next tues. It is a rellies wedding - should be fun, althou the heat will be a bitch !!!!!!!!!
    then at easter we are taking the jetboats down to the Hollyford river. Six boats are going in, and about half an hour down the river we come to a set of rapids. These rapids are unable to be boated, so the helicopter comes and flies all the boats down the rapid. Its then another half hour or so to the campsite. We have to go easy on the weight in the boat, so I really haver to do the minimalistic thing !!!!!!!
    Castiron grill and frypan - I will not go without !!!!!
    we are staying in for about 5 nights, with about 10 hours boating. No power, no mod cons, total opposite to glamping !!!!!!! we will even be washing in the cold river. I am so gonna feel like grokette - EXCITING !!!!!!!
    Cast iron is the perfect minimalist cookware! You can fry anything, it can go into the oven, and I've used it to make roast chicken and fry potatoes in the rendered juice/fat! Best. Potatoes. Ever. God I miss having a kitchen!

It's also a great home defense tool and makeshift hard object for bashing unrulely hardware/humans/zombies.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post

It's also a great home defense tool and makeshift hard object for bashing unrulely hardware/humans/zombies.
      .....possums........roaring stags.........excitable cavemen.......and women..............
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
        Hi Goldie,

That suggestion gave me an 'Ah-Ha' moment. I canned Tomato Apple Pie filling last fall and really wanted to use something other than sugar in the recipe but could not decide what would taste appropriate without ruining the whole batch.

Dates!!! Why didn't I think of that!! I could've pureed them and it would've been perfect.

Thanks!
        Tomato Apple pie filling - that sounds too good!

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
        I LOVE my pressure cooker too. Want a pot roast in an hour or lentils in half an hour(after properly soaking them)? No problem! Bone broth that gels like jelly in four hours is easy. I have an electric one that is also a slow cooker but I have never tried the slow cooker function. I like the fact that it really saturates the food with flavor too. I use it several times a week.

Old people are funny to watch. We live in an older neighborhood with lots of original owners who all shop at the local market that has been there since the 60s. While they are sweet for the most part, I have learned that they drive their carts like they do their cars and am extra careful, especially on Senior Discount Day. And I only park in the back of the store.

I love mixing cured meats with fruits. Always an easy and tasty appetizers.

More rain on the agenda for California today and tomorrow plus wind and thunderstorms.. Temps are dropping a bit and I am hoping I don't regret my decision to plant my peppers and tomatoes earlier than normal this year. Of course, our thunderstorms are nothing compared to most of the rest of the country. But during the last storms we had, there were tornadoes near where I used to live. That is just downright scary and odd. CA is not known for tornadoes. Earthquakes, yes. Tornadoes, no. If we start getting both, that would just be unfair!
        I'm cracking up at the carts driving. I'm pretty spacey as you might have guessed, so generally when I slam into something with a grocery cart, if anyone's around I cover my embarrassment by asking, "Can you believe they let me drive a car?"

Meat and fruit. Yup. Ham type stuff with melons or pears. Yum.

I agree that tornadoes in addition to earthquakes put the fear factor over the top a bit. <---my earthquake face.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
        I *love* dates. They're the only thing that keeps me away from chocolate during a Whole 30. And they're a good sweetener for many things!

Plus, I get to spit out the pit. Spitting out pits is so grok-like, it makes me smile every time.
        That's why watermelon is so much fun.

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
        Goldie, thanks for the date reminder. I picked some up when I was at the store yesterday, added some to my smoothie this morning, it was perfect.

I like to use dates as a sweetener when I make barbeque sauce. It goes really well with tomatoes and chipotles.
        I see I'm the last one on the date train.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
        Fff I find older folks to be totally entertaining either because the crazy shit they say or the impairing stories about growing up in the 30s-50s. I'm really heartbroken that soon we won't have people to tell us what it was like dealing with nutters like McCarthy and how clever their mom's were with EVERYTHING. I really wish my grandmother had spent less time ranting about religion and more time talking about life, because I know she led a very interesting one. And I feel like a weirdo always asking about what it wuz lyke back in the day when my dad and brother just want to watch news (WHY?! YOU HAVE HISTORY WITH A TIME LIMIT!! AND GRAMMA HUGS AND DINNERS!!)

I am a weirdo lol.

I hate sweet savories (raisins in slow cooked lamb? Ew) but I LOVE savory sweets (bacon in desert?? Hellz yeas)

I totally forgot to mention; my mom lives in Florida lol. Not st. Pete though, but I do loooove st. Pete. X)
        My favorite thing about the St. Pete area (back when) was the tiny people driving their big old cars from the 70s. Looked like the cars were being driven by Q-tips. (That just racked up another 15 minutes in politically incorrect Purgatory for me.)

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
        yep the next adventure is just around the corner.
        Althou first we are flyng to Perth, via melbourne, on thursday - back next tues. It is a rellies wedding - should be fun, althou the heat will be a bitch !!!!!!!!!
        then at easter we are taking the jetboats down to the Hollyford river. Six boats are going in, and about half an hour down the river we come to a set of rapids. These rapids are unable to be boated, so the helicopter comes and flies all the boats down the rapid. Its then another half hour or so to the campsite. We have to go easy on the weight in the boat, so I really haver to do the minimalistic thing !!!!!!!
        Castiron grill and frypan - I will not go without !!!!!
        we are staying in for about 5 nights, with about 10 hours boating. No power, no mod cons, total opposite to glamping !!!!!!! we will even be washing in the cold river. I am so gonna feel like grokette - EXCITING !!!!!!!
        Wow G - that's some schedule! Both trips sound like a blast.

Cast iron is the perfect minimalist cookware! You can fry anything, it can go into the oven, and I've used it to make roast chicken and fry potatoes in the rendered juice/fat! Best. Potatoes. Ever. God I miss having a kitchen!

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
        .....possums........roaring stags.........excitable cavemen.......and women..............
        No one mentioned rodents. Filthy little disgusting fowl creatures who deserve to be food for snakes and cats and large birds. I bet they'd flatten nicely with a good cast iron pan.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Monday, March 31, 2014

I slept like a rock last night. Woke at 5am. Now thatís the old Joanie! Well the waking at five and feeling ready to take on the world part. Sleep has been an issue for what feels like forever. But waking before the rest of the world is making noise makes me happy.

The nice side effect of eating at the neighborsí last night is that I donít have to worry about defrosting the eye of round roast today. Got it done yesterday. I have a potato that Iíve going to make into potato salad for on the side.

Itís chilly this morning. It was in the low 60s when I got in last night, and itís 49 now.

It occurs to me that the gender-neutral word for fisherman sounds weird. Chairperson has been used for such a long time that it sounds okay, but fisherperson just sounds wrong. I wonder if fish-hunter would be a good way to go.

I checked out Good Eggs this morning and there are strawberries grown right here in Louisiana! I ordered some, of course. The first berries of the season.

Trying to go a whole week without a rationalization. The good and bad angel within once again at warÖ

Friday: Damn, I was going to go to Whole Foods today, and now itís raining.
          You can go tomorrow.
          Saturday is too busy, Iíll go Sunday while people are in church.
          Why do we have to go to Whole Foods when the freezer is filled to bursting?
          Because the two sale items I want are listed as being on sale through April 31st, and I donít know if that means March 31st or April 30th.
          You could call.
          Yeah right, because Iíve never been given misinformation over the phone.
          Sunday: Itís so quiet and peaceful today. And the busses run slower on weekends.
          Take the car.
          Iím trying not to use the car.
          Well, thereís still tomorrow if the flyer was for March 31st.
          Yeah, (rolling over to catch a few more ZZZs) Iíll go tomorrow.
          Monday: Iím up early, my hair is clean, and Iím rariní to go.
          Why are we going again?
          Butter and cheese sale.
          Youíve gone months sometimes with no butter, and your ass could stand not eating cheese every time you think about it.
          Thatís true, and I did order some raw milk cheddar for delivery tomorrow.
          The flyer probably meant April 30th Ė Iíll go sometime in April.

If you have a bookie, it would be a pretty good bet that Iíll be having that same conversation with myself sometime after April 24th or so.

The flip side to that part of my personality is that when I make appointments, Iím obsessively on time or early.

But maybe Iím not really that crazy. There are certainly even everyday type folks who are weirder than I. Here are some phobias that people have.

Arachibutyrophobia: the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one's mouth.

Linonophobia: a fear of string.

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia: fear of the number 666.

Aulophobia: fear of flutes.

Consecotaleophobia: fear of chopsticks.

Ithyphallophobia: fear of having/seeing/thinking about an erect penis. (Does anyone give any thought to flaccid ones?)

Turophobia: fear of cheese.

Trypophobia- fear of holes.

Anatidaephobia: the pervasive, irrational fear that, somewhere in the world, a duck is watching you.

LMAO at the last one. I understand feeling like someone is watching you. Something like 38% of us are having a picture of ourselves taken when we donít know it. But a duck?

Iím not sure why the food fails crack me up so much. Probably because my attempts would likely be as bad or worse.

Peace, love, and hedgehog cakes,
          J
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• OMG J - youngest made those wee santas for christmas day - and they looked just like your successful picture !!!!!!
            she really did nail it - in fact I think that becoming a pilot is possibly the wrong calling for her !!!!!!!!!
            "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              Tomato Apple pie filling - that sounds too good!
              It's really surprisingly good. I first tried it when I was judging a pie making contest for 4-H. I liked it well enough to search out recipes for it so I could use up the bumper crop of tomatoes from my garden that I usually can't bare to let freeze even if they are green.

If you don't tell anyone, they think it's all apple because of the flavor but a real foodie wonders what the slight difference is and can figure it out pretty fast.
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

• Oh dear Mother!!!! Those pictures had me laughing for quit some time. NAILED IT...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

I see I'm the last one on the date train.

Wow G - that's some schedule! Both trips sound like a blast.
                  She do be getting about a bit of late, wonder what her carbon footprints looking like....And I reckon I'm in the same carriage as you....

I honestly thought some of they phobias were made up, you couldn't make up what peoples get scared of....I reckons I must have Gamophobia....

You can't be a free feed as well and as long as you keep posting they food failures, I'll keep laughing at them, wander how the laxative thiefs getting on, lol....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                    OMG J - youngest made those wee santas for christmas day - and they looked just like your successful picture !!!!!!
                    she really did nail it - in fact I think that becoming a pilot is possibly the wrong calling for her !!!!!!!!!
                    A pilot needs a fall-back career (mini pun intended). Maybe when she's too old to fly professionally, she'll become an artist in the kitchen.

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                    It's really surprisingly good. I first tried it when I was judging a pie making contest for 4-H. I liked it well enough to search out recipes for it so I could use up the bumper crop of tomatoes from my garden that I usually can't bare to let freeze even if they are green.

If you don't tell anyone, they think it's all apple because of the flavor but a real foodie wonders what the slight difference is and can figure it out pretty fast.
                    That sounds cool. My mind went the other way. I think it's in PA that they make tomato pies, so I thought the apple was the add in. But you have my brain whirring.

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                    Oh dear Mother!!!! Those pictures had me laughing for quit some time. NAILED IT...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    It's good to know that some things don't change. People may be getting the ideas from the www now, but my mom tried many a creative item from magazines like Better Homes & Garbage.

My favorite Gran'ma-fail was the year she decided to make her rice balls with Minute Rice. Of course the rice wouldn't stick together, so she served a casserole dish with rice, ground beef, and peas, covered on top with the breadcrumbs. It's a sad day when one's Italian Gran'ma tries to use Minute Rice to make Arancini!

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                    She do be getting about a bit of late, wonder what her carbon footprints looking like....And I reckon I'm in the same carriage as you....

I honestly thought some of they phobias were made up, you couldn't make up what peoples get scared of....I reckons I must have Gamophobia....

You can't be a free feed as well and as long as you keep posting they food failures, I'll keep laughing at them, wander how the laxative thiefs getting on, lol....
                    My heart weeps at your phobia. *chuckle* Though I have to admit that three years of being really truly single have been much more stress free than I had ever expected.

I hope the laxative thief got just the plumbing probs he deserved. lol.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• While I have an irrational fear of ducks(and all of our feathered friends), I have never worried about being watched by one. I mean why would they want to watch you. Unless they are waiting for you to turn your back so they can sneak up on you and bit your heels, those sneaky little bastards! Hmmm, maybe my fowlaphobia, as we call it, goes far deeper than I thought...

The hedgehog cake reminds me of s story I have been forbidden to tell again. It is kind of gross. Our first few months with our rescue dog, Arty, were difficult. He had lots of issues but his favorite toy in the world was his hedgehog. He always carried it with him and slept with it. One day, at dusk, he started to squat to poo in the living room. We caught him just as he was starting to go and I had hubby take him out to finish while I cleaned up the mess. When I was done, I went out to make sure that hubby gave him lots of praise when he finished pooping where he was suppose to. Hubby was pretty upset at Arty so I had him go back inside. About 30 seconds later I hear this blood curdling scream. My first thought was that he had stepped in poop, which was why Arty did not have to go. But no, if only he had stepped in it, this story might not be a family legend. I ran into our bedroom and there is a brown spot on the cream colored runner next to our bed, a long line of poo across the floor and partially up the wall. Hubby, by know, was in the shower. Arty had had a large soft poo, which in the dusk of our room had looked like his hedgehog. Being irritated with the dog, Hubby went to kick Arty's beloved toy out of the way and instead kicked a warm, soft pile of dog poo, barefooted. I am sure there is a moral in there somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                        While I have an irrational fear of ducks(and all of our feathered friends), I have never worried about being watched by one. I mean why would they want to watch you. Unless they are waiting for you to turn your back so they can sneak up on you and bit your heels, those sneaky little bastards! Hmmm, maybe my fowlaphobia, as we call it, goes far deeper than I thought...

The hedgehog cake reminds me of s story I have been forbidden to tell again. It is kind of gross. Our first few months with our rescue dog, Arty, were difficult. He had lots of issues but his favorite toy in the world was his hedgehog. He always carried it with him and slept with it. One day, at dusk, he started to squat to poo in the living room. We caught him just as he was starting to go and I had hubby take him out to finish while I cleaned up the mess. When I was done, I went out to make sure that hubby gave him lots of praise when he finished pooping where he was suppose to. Hubby was pretty upset at Arty so I had him go back inside. About 30 seconds later I hear this blood curdling scream. My first thought was that he had stepped in poop, which was why Arty did not have to go. But no, if only he had stepped in it, this story might not be a family legend. I ran into our bedroom and there is a brown spot on the cream colored runner next to our bed, a long line of poo across the floor and partially up the wall. Hubby, by know, was in the shower. Arty had had a large soft poo, which in the dusk of our room had looked like his hedgehog. Being irritated with the dog, Hubby went to kick Arty's beloved toy out of the way and instead kicked a warm, soft pile of dog poo, barefooted. I am sure there is a moral in there somewhere.
                        I'm cracking up! My cats used to hork up their hairballs right in front of my bedroom door, so I got good at avoiding those. One day though, there was one in the doorway between the LR and kitchen. Walking barefoot... I hopped on one foot over to the kitchen sink, stuck my foot in the sink and cleaned it. Ex squared came in and asked me why I had my foot in the sink.

It's not my fear, but I can see how birds could be ominous. Any animal really. So, yes, it's the watching thing that makes it odd.

I think it was in that old Shirley MacLaine book that I read about a man was afraid of birds. When they regressed him, it turned out that he'd been a soldier in another life. He'd been left on the field for dead, and the buzzards started coming around. He didn't like birds. I don't like full sized inanimate human type things that "talk." Not a past life - got the crap scared out of me by one when I was three.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Just imagine if you have the fear of holes AND the fear or cheese. Swiss would be like a edible Friday 13th.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                            Just imagine if you have the fear of holes AND the fear or cheese. Swiss would be like a edible Friday 13th.
                            LOL! I love the way your mind works.

B*tch-lite

Comment

LOL! I love the way your mind works.
                              Box? Whut box?

Comment

• Turophobia: fear of cheese.

Trypophobia- fear of holes.
                                Just imagine if you have the fear of holes AND the fear or cheese. Swiss would be like a edible Friday 13th.
                                Lol, would it be called Turotrypophobia....

Comment

Working...
                                X