No announcement yet.

B*tchapalooza 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Joanie, re: acid/alkaline, you might want to read this: The pH Myth: Part 1

Comment

• Big squishy hug and kiss recieved - thank you very much...........just what Gwamma needed !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you VH and UF, I also miss you all when I am - er - otherwise engaged !!!!!!!!!!
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I think your hubby might be on to something. My "screw you" moments Chopped occur when they change gears on a contestant for no apparent reason. "You're being too safe." So the poor slob does something outrageous for the next course. "This might be a little too outside the box." That's when I want to b*tchslap Guarnaschelli, whom I used to love, right into tomorrow.

My fave old people thing is in grocery stores. "Let's get that." "You don't eat that." "Don't tell me what I eat." "We're not getting that." "The reason I don't ever eat that is that you never buy it!" Both of them about a foot shorter than they were in their 20s and looking a lot like one another. I always watch surreptitiously.
        Oh twue wuv is beautiful. *wipes tear*

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
          Joanie, you might want to try using a medjool date instead of sugar in your tomato jam. I use a medjool date when I make vegetable chutney, and using one gives just enough sweetness + the "thickening" action of sugar. And it adds an interesting taste. Especially to chutney... spicy and a teeny bit sweet.
          medjool dates rock! (especially when wrapped in bacon and baked until crispy!)

Comment

• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper – it doesn’t seem like a lot, but the tomatoes are going to boil down a lot, and the finished
            product had a nice heat to it without peeling off layers of skin from the inside of my mouth.
            It's only cayenne J, this stuff on the other hand is a bit lively, trust me.....

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
            Ahh, I didna realise you wuz such a romantic....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
            Still think that sounds a bit dodgy, but both are right tasty so, it's got to work I s'pose....

That tom jam looks proper, might just give it a dash you know, and that cake is a pearler....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
              It's only cayenne J, this stuff on the other hand is a bit lively, trust me.....

Still think that sounds a bit dodgy, but both are right tasty so, it's got to work I s'pose....

That tom jam looks proper, might just give it a dash you know, and that cake is a pearler....
              If you have the Practical Paleo book, the recipe for them is in the back... she does dates and pineapple wrapped in bacon. Never done the pineapple, but the dates rock!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                If you have the Practical Paleo book, the recipe for them is in the back... she does dates and pineapple wrapped in bacon. Never done the pineapple, but the dates rock!
                I have PP, and have bacon and dates in stock, so it's looking a good bet to get on this weeks menu....

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  I want that pressure cooker set!
                  It's one of the most practical things I've ever purchased. I suck at slow cookers. Except for the one I got for free, I've returned every one I've ever bought. Zip on patience. Once I started playing with the pressure cooker, I started to wonder how I ever got along without it.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                  Joanie, you might want to try using a medjool date instead of sugar in your tomato jam. I use a medjool date when I make vegetable chutney, and using one gives just enough sweetness + the "thickening" action of sugar. And it adds an interesting taste. Especially to chutney... spicy and a teeny bit sweet.
                  That's a great idea, Goldie. Always looking for a more healthful solution to adding a bit of sweet to tomato-y things.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                  Hey Joanie, re: acid/alkaline, you might want to read this: The pH Myth: Part 1
                  Thank you so much! I read both parts.

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                  Big squishy hug and kiss recieved - thank you very much...........just what Gwamma needed !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you VH and UF, I also miss you all when I am - er - otherwise engaged !!!!!!!!!!
                  I read in the Kiwi thread that you're off on another adventure soon. In a pup tent even! I hope you have tons of fun!

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                  LMAO. Old-folks-watching was more of a hobby when I lived near Tampa/St. Pete, but I still get the occasional fix. (Old people move to Florida; their parents move to St. Pete.)

I'll check them out. If I can find them in reasonable quantities so that they're not calling to me in times of quiet, I'll surely give them a try.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post

I love the packaging on that spice!

Dates + bacon = sweet + salt. The almost perfect combo - all that's missing is the beer.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                  I have PP, and have bacon and dates in stock, so it's looking a good bet to get on this weeks menu....
                  There's an old fashioned hors d'oeuvre called Rumaki which is water chestnut and chicken/duck liver wrapped in bacon. I don't know if I'd go to the trouble of assembling it, but those three ingredients on a plate would make me happy.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• From last night

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Funny link from Mark’s post today: How to Poop Like a Samurai | The Art of Manliness I’m thinking that one could start a whole series of articles on pooping. How to poop like a ballerina. How to poop like a politician (this would entail merely talking). Etc.

My body is starting to not fight me on going to sleep at a normal hour. And though I woke up at about 430am, I pulled the blanket over my head and went back to sleep ‘til almost 6am. This is nice.

I didn’t do a lot today, but I got in late.

I read Goldie’s link. It makes a lot of sense. And it also makes me happy that I didn’t take a lot of time to go into the whole “study” of pH in depth. At the end of the day, it has only been a speck in time (even human existence time) that we’ve studied nutrition on a micronutrient level. But amazingly, we still knew what to eat.

My take-home understanding. Don’t worry about it. Your body knows what it’s doing, and your blood pH isn’t going to vary enough to make a difference in your health. On the off chance that it does vary enough, you’ll know it because you will feel sick. IOW, eat lots of animals, plants, and bugs,* and stay away from poison. You should be fine. (As always, this is for someone of relatively good health.)

*Or in my case, eat lots of animals, shove a plant into your mouth occasionally, and put bugs on your bucket list.

I got side lined on my way home tonight in a pleasant way, and found myself at the neighbors eating grilled food. It was nice. I had a chicken thigh, a small piece of pork roast, some roasted asparagus and peppers, and one and a half chocolate chip cookies.

I also had about a 2” cubed chunk of mac and cheese. I have to tell you: cheese. Always my love. It took every bit of restraint to not just put my face into that casserole dish and not come up ‘til it was gone.

Then I came home and barely got this typed.

This made me laugh:

Peace, love, and grilled meat,
                    J
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                      Hi Goldie,

That suggestion gave me an 'Ah-Ha' moment. I canned Tomato Apple Pie filling last fall and really wanted to use something other than sugar in the recipe but could not decide what would taste appropriate without ruining the whole batch.

Dates!!! Why didn't I think of that!! I could've pureed them and it would've been perfect.

Thanks!
                      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

• I LOVE my pressure cooker too. Want a pot roast in an hour or lentils in half an hour(after properly soaking them)? No problem! Bone broth that gels like jelly in four hours is easy. I have an electric one that is also a slow cooker but I have never tried the slow cooker function. I like the fact that it really saturates the food with flavor too. I use it several times a week.

Old people are funny to watch. We live in an older neighborhood with lots of original owners who all shop at the local market that has been there since the 60s. While they are sweet for the most part, I have learned that they drive their carts like they do their cars and am extra careful, especially on Senior Discount Day. And I only park in the back of the store.

I love mixing cured meats with fruits. Always an easy and tasty appetizers.

More rain on the agenda for California today and tomorrow plus wind and thunderstorms.. Temps are dropping a bit and I am hoping I don't regret my decision to plant my peppers and tomatoes earlier than normal this year. Of course, our thunderstorms are nothing compared to most of the rest of the country. But during the last storms we had, there were tornadoes near where I used to live. That is just downright scary and odd. CA is not known for tornadoes. Earthquakes, yes. Tornadoes, no. If we start getting both, that would just be unfair!

Comment

• Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                          Dates!!!
                          I *love* dates. They're the only thing that keeps me away from chocolate during a Whole 30. And they're a good sweetener for many things!

Plus, I get to spit out the pit. Spitting out pits is so grok-like, it makes me smile every time.

Comment

• Goldie, thanks for the date reminder. I picked some up when I was at the store yesterday, added some to my smoothie this morning, it was perfect.

I like to use dates as a sweetener when I make barbeque sauce. It goes really well with tomatoes and chipotles.
                            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• B*tchapalooza 2013

Fff I find older folks to be totally entertaining either because the crazy shit they say or the impairing stories about growing up in the 30s-50s. I'm really heartbroken that soon we won't have people to tell us what it was like dealing with nutters like McCarthy and how clever their mom's were with EVERYTHING. I really wish my grandmother had spent less time ranting about religion and more time talking about life, because I know she led a very interesting one. And I feel like a weirdo always asking about what it wuz lyke back in the day when my dad and brother just want to watch news (WHY?! YOU HAVE HISTORY WITH A TIME LIMIT!! AND GRAMMA HUGS AND DINNERS!!)

I am a weirdo lol.

I hate sweet savories (raisins in slow cooked lamb? Ew) but I LOVE savory sweets (bacon in desert?? Hellz yeas)

I totally forgot to mention; my mom lives in Florida lol. Not st. Pete though, but I do loooove st. Pete. X)
                              Last edited by RittenRemedy; 03-31-2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• yep the next adventure is just around the corner.
                                Althou first we are flyng to Perth, via melbourne, on thursday - back next tues. It is a rellies wedding - should be fun, althou the heat will be a bitch !!!!!!!!!
                                then at easter we are taking the jetboats down to the Hollyford river. Six boats are going in, and about half an hour down the river we come to a set of rapids. These rapids are unable to be boated, so the helicopter comes and flies all the boats down the rapid. Its then another half hour or so to the campsite. We have to go easy on the weight in the boat, so I really haver to do the minimalistic thing !!!!!!!
                                Castiron grill and frypan - I will not go without !!!!!
                                we are staying in for about 5 nights, with about 10 hours boating. No power, no mod cons, total opposite to glamping !!!!!!! we will even be washing in the cold river. I am so gonna feel like grokette - EXCITING !!!!!!!
                                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                                X