Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014
    April looms. My birth month. And its approach, as usual, brings introspection. This year it seems to be about how things have changed.
    I have the same inwardness around my nativity. Stories, storytelling, words, bearing witness (learned yesterday that martyr has the same root meaning as witness). Glad to know I am not the only one.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
      I have not seen Ladyhawke but I will have to track it down.
      It's sword and sorcery job with Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick, Ladyhawke, some of the music is classic eighties synth/rock

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      LOL on the tongue. I'm guessing you're at work? I haven't seen PBride in ages. I should give it another look.
      Alas, I was at work, I get some strange looks sometimes....nor me on PB, and so should I!

I don't really bother about b'days, the thing that pisses me off about them is having to get the cakes in at work, which I don't even eat....That food pyramid is a gem and spot on....I'm only 45 and cynical now, is it really possible get cynicaller....

And 28 cents a gallon, don't rate the chances of seeing those prices again, when I lived with my parent in the eighties/nineties we got a discount off the phone bill for having a rotary phone, never knew why....

And you can't beat the eyes getting better with age!

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I have the same inwardness around my nativity. Stories, storytelling, words, bearing witness (learned yesterday that martyr has the same root meaning as witness). Glad to know I am not the only one.
        Yes, January 1st and my birthday make me take stock of things. I also notice June 30 because half the year is gone, but it's not as big a thing. Somehow the martyr/witness association makes sense.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
        It's sword and sorcery job with Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick, Ladyhawke, some of the music is classic eighties synth/rock

Alas, I was at work, I get some strange looks sometimes....nor me on PB, and so should I!

I don't really bother about b'days, the thing that pisses me off about them is having to get the cakes in at work, which I don't even eat....That food pyramid is a gem and spot on....I'm only 45 and cynical now, is it really possible get cynicaller....

And 28 cents a gallon, don't rate the chances of seeing those prices again, when I lived with my parent in the eighties/nineties we got a discount off the phone bill for having a rotary phone, never knew why....

And you can't beat the eyes getting better with age!
        I think that maybe cynics are really pissed off former optimists. So, if you're hanging on to any illusions about mankind, you could potentially still get cynicaller. I know, great way to start the morning. The cake thing is a drag.

Oh that's odd on the rotary. I remember at one point I think that if we didn't switch, they were going to charge an extra fee to keep rotary.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Still a day behind.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Repression leads to obsession. And then you just have to work through it until obsession leads to disgust, and the negative behavior is in the past.

Another decade - the 80s. We sold out. I sold out. After taking my sweet time to take every class that interested me in college (Rock ‘n’ Roll Before 1969 being one of my favorites), I finally took a major seriously and got my degree in, of all things, business with an emphasis in accounting. An easy major for me. I took/passed the CPA exam. The exam stressed me out so much that I ended up in the ER. I (obviously) lived, and told my competitive nature to go take a hike. I worked in accounting for five or six years. I was miserable. Big Business wasn’t about great minds doing great things. It was shit. Lesson learned. I swear that I’m not blowing my own horn here, but I predicted an Enron-type scenario way back then. “Independent” auditors are supposed to be professionally skeptical. This is impossible when the client is paying exorbitant fees for the audit. You do what you need to do to keep the client. One didn’t need to be brilliant to predict it, only realistic enough to face it.

But the 80s weren’t all bad. Leg warmers were cool. Lol. I went dancing twice a week with a gay man friend – we all had one. (“If neither of us is married by the time we’re 40, we’ll marry each other.”) It seemed like every d-bag in a suit (including me) put copious amounts of cocaine up her/his nose. Everyone watched Dallas and Dynasty. There was fun to be had. It’s just that after the 60s and 70s, it was shallow and stupid fun. I thought that disco music brought the collective IQ down by 10 points (I would feel that again in the 90s when CW music brought it down by another 10 points). I am blowing my own horn here when I say that though I bowed to a few things in the 80s, especially shoulder pads and pearls, I never ever had big hair or a blouse with a big bow in the front.

Sometimes I worry that douche bags might inherit the earth. Then I chuckle and figure that an earth populated with douche bags will pretty much be their instant karma.

I made something new tonight. It surprises me that all the flavors went together, but it shouldn’t because a cold version of it as a salad is surely served somewhere. I made a stir-fry of shrimp, rice, mustard greens, onion, tomato, mango, just a tblsp of tamarind sauce (I didn’t know it was a legume when I ordered it), and spices. I only used a teaspoon of lard to get the onions started – everything else cooked up just fine in its own juices. OMG that was good. And I’m stuffed to the gills. I could have skipped the rice totally. But it was good, so I’m glad I didn’t.

Mustard greens are a good substitute, but I surely do love spinach. I’ve just been trying to be all locavore.

No particular rhyme or reason:

How to get men to stop looking at your
          chest when they’re speaking to you:

This!

Peace, love, and shoulder pads,
          J
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Thanks for the morning chuckle and the walk down memory lane.
            Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

• I wish I could do that with my phone! I swear I lose that thing multiple times a day, and it spends the whole week sitting on my desk because I don't bring it to work. The next find my phone app really needs like a yell a "lostword" and the bugger starts ringing function.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                Don't know about discounted phone bills, but I have a funny British rotary phone story! Sweetie got orders to the UK in 1992, and we somehow got right into base housing in Hartford, Cambridgeshire. It was a British housing development and they leased an area to the USAF for the Yanks.

The kids were 8, 10, and 12 years old at the time. The house we got already had a phone in it, a rotary phone in the stylish 1960's color of "avocado". All three kids looked at it, perplexed. Finally oldest asked, "Mom, how does this thing work?" as he poked his forefinger in the holes over the numbers.

Took Sweetie and I ten minutes to quit laughing enough to explain! That's still a family "legend"!

Comment

• Your stir fry sounds so yummy! I may have to whip up something similar for lunch but without the paste since I have something similar to all of that but the paste.

I need to thin out my carrot, beet and radish sprouts so we are having a salad with sprouts tonight. My raised bed full of carrots, beets, radishes and lettuces is doing so well. It is high enough that the bunnies can't get to it. We are having a wet end of March, which is very good for everyone but Daisy. A fun and mostly useless fact: raccoons don't like mint. So I surrounded my worm farm with pots of mint and I haven't had another raccoon attack. Of course, I sadly saw a big fat raccoon that had got hit by a car on the road into my 'hood. That might be the real reason, not my clever placing of mint pots.

I would think having boobs on your forehead would be a little distracting. And make breast feeding a little difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                    Thanks for the morning chuckle and the walk down memory lane.
                    My pleasure! I don't think I've ever told you, but I love your sig line.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                    I wish I could do that with my phone! I swear I lose that thing multiple times a day, and it spends the whole week sitting on my desk because I don't bring it to work. The next find my phone app really needs like a yell a "lostword" and the bugger starts ringing function.
                    I'm surprised they don't have one. My land line had a button on the base that I could press and the handset would beep.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    Don't know about discounted phone bills, but I have a funny British rotary phone story! Sweetie got orders to the UK in 1992, and we somehow got right into base housing in Hartford, Cambridgeshire. It was a British housing development and they leased an area to the USAF for the Yanks.

The kids were 8, 10, and 12 years old at the time. The house we got already had a phone in it, a rotary phone in the stylish 1960's color of "avocado". All three kids looked at it, perplexed. Finally oldest asked, "Mom, how does this thing work?" as he poked his forefinger in the holes over the numbers.

Took Sweetie and I ten minutes to quit laughing enough to explain! That's still a family "legend"!
                    That's priceless, Goldie! How are you? I don't see you around much lately. Hope all is well and you're enjoying spring.

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                    Your stir fry sounds so yummy! I may have to whip up something similar for lunch but without the paste since I have something similar to all of that but the paste.

I need to thin out my carrot, beet and radish sprouts so we are having a salad with sprouts tonight. My raised bed full of carrots, beets, radishes and lettuces is doing so well. It is high enough that the bunnies can't get to it. We are having a wet end of March, which is very good for everyone but Daisy. A fun and mostly useless fact: raccoons don't like mint. So I surrounded my worm farm with pots of mint and I haven't had another raccoon attack. Of course, I sadly saw a big fat raccoon that had got hit by a car on the road into my 'hood. That might be the real reason, not my clever placing of mint pots.

I would think having boobs on your forehead would be a little distracting. And make breast feeding a little difficult.
                    I now know I have something in common with raccoons - I don't like mint either. That big fat raccoon could have been dinner! Coconut aminos can improve everything. Terrific on the raised beds outwitting the rabbits.

The boobs on the forehead reminds me of a pretty stupid old joke.

What do you have if you have nuts on your wall? Walnuts.
                    What do you have if you have nuts on your chest? Chestnuts.
                    What do you have if you have nuts on your chin? You have a d**k in your mouth.

B*tch-lite

Comment

That's priceless, Goldie! How are you? I don't see you around much lately. Hope all is well and you're enjoying spring.
                      Oh, I'm fine! I'm here, I just have cut back on my forum time. I just pop in, read journals mostly, and carry on with Real Life. There were some non-journal threads I was following, but it seems that 99% of them have degraded into idiotness, and I have a low tolerance for idiots. Bless their hearts.

Comment

• Hey Joanie, the sleep/hunger thing is getting better. I've come to the conclusion that good sleep is THE most important thing you can do for your health. If you don't sleep well it really doesn't matter how you eat or exercise, because chances are those both will be compromised by lack of sleep.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Wait, if you don't like mint does that mean you don't like mojitos?
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                            Wait, if you don't like mint does that mean you don't like mojitos?
                            Now that would just be so wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                              Oh, I'm fine! I'm here, I just have cut back on my forum time. I just pop in, read journals mostly, and carry on with Real Life. There were some non-journal threads I was following, but it seems that 99% of them have degraded into idiotness, and I have a low tolerance for idiots. Bless their hearts.

I bet you do. I can't imagine that you take much guff from people. Which doesn't mean you're not awesome and funny, etc., because you crack me up a lot. I just get the feeling that you could wither someone who was playing idiot in real life.

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                              Hey Joanie, the sleep/hunger thing is getting better. I've come to the conclusion that good sleep is THE most important thing you can do for your health. If you don't sleep well it really doesn't matter how you eat or exercise, because chances are those both will be compromised by lack of sleep.
                              I'm so glad to hear it, and I totally agree. I've been working on my sleep lately, and though I'm nowhere near one of those people who can just crash at 10:15pm yet, I would say that in the last three weeks of just changing up a couple of bad habits of mine, I'm sleeping a good 75% better and feel about 50% more alert. And good on the hunger also. I know you don't have weight issues, but it must be disconcerting to be awake in the middle of the night looking for food. *hug*

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                              Wait, if you don't like mint does that mean you don't like mojitos?
                              Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                              Now that would just be so wrong!
                              I've never had one. <---UF and V at the thought that there's a popular cocktail that I've not tried.

An old holdover from my calorie counting days is that I mostly drink shots or beer (or shots and beer) because I can count them, but I never know what the mixer is unless I'm sitting at the bar watching. But I looked at the ingredients, and except for the cane sugar, it doesn't look bad at all. And summer is right around the corner.

B*tch-lite

Comment

I've never had one. <---UF and V at the thought that there's a popular cocktail that I've not tried.

An old holdover from my calorie counting days is that I mostly drink shots or beer (or shots and beer) because I can count them, but I never know what the mixer is unless I'm sitting at the bar watching. But I looked at the ingredients, and except for the cane sugar, it doesn't look bad at all. And summer is right around the corner.
                                I like to make my own because they are too sweet at most bars. I put a lot less simple syrup in than they do, like a splorsh. You could make them with a drop or two stevia instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X