Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    Saturday, March 22, 2014

I’ve got a cow’s tongue in brine for cooking on the 28th or after.

It’s a beautiful 65F/18C outside, and it was mostly overcast for my walk this morning, so, it was just an easy, lovely way to start the day.

Query: how many hacks does one do in a year before one realizes that they’re no longer following a healthy diet, but instead just looking for a quick fix like any 1970s dieter that took those lovely black capsules?

Another day flies by.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Food, glorious food!

One of the things I really like about this community is that some of the folks here really respect food, like to cook, and are up for experimentation. From trying a new cut of meat every week, to dipping one’s toe into a new pool of organs, parts,* and even creepy crawlies, to some of the beautiful and creative dishes that people create while leaving wheat and canola oil behind – it’s all inspirational.

*The lamb testicles are still in the freezer, but guess what’s thawing as I type this?

Here’s a hint:

There was a whole bunch of preachy stuff about food where this sentence now is.

Food can be beautiful or it can be a mockery. It can be healing or it can make you sick. The choice is up to each one of us. You can spend an hour a day social networking, or you can spend an hour a day transforming beautiful ingredients in delicious, healthful meals.

Which brings me back ‘round to chicken feet. I’ve been doing some reading this morning and even though I’ve been adding a few to my bone broths in recent months, I’m an even bigger fan now. I closed all the tabs, so no links, but you can google “health benefits of chicken feet,” to find information.

I knocked eight chicken feet off the frozen solid block I had – doc is correct, I had forgotten how important a hammer is. When they’re defrosted, I’ll parboil them, take off any of the yellow membrane (there’s not much on these), give them a pedicure, then marinate them. After that, it’s into my clay cooker for a slow roast until they’re soft enough to pick up and eat like chicken wings.

This is only creepy the first time you do it.

Later in the day... These came out so much better than I imagined they would. These look like mine did, except the photography is so much better. (All three of the pics are from the web; it’s so much easier than doing my own.) Finger lickin' good, indeed!

I thought these links in Mark’s post today were cool:

Voracious Worm Evolves to Eat Biotech Corn Engineered to Kill It - Wired Science - Just like we’re creating Super Bugs by having antibiotics in our food, we’re creating monster rootworms and they’re fighting back.

Penn Medicine Researchers Show How Lost Sleep Leads to Lost Neurons - Sleep, baby, sleep.

Primal Abroad: Food Adventures from Around the World | Mark's Daily Apple – I read this last year, but it’s still a fun read. And nowhere does he state that cuy tastes like chicken.

I used to think that when man has finally destroyed the planet, all that would remain would be cockroaches and styrofoam. Maybe we’ve created some rootworms to keep the cockroaches company.

Peace, love, and chicken feet.
    This is a baeutiful post. An I am too 20% to fully express myself oer the internet. I love youz. I love everyone lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
      This is a baeutiful post. An I am too 20% to fully express myself oer the internet. I love youz. I love everyone lol.
      hmmmmmm methinks she's been drinkin.... lol

Comment

I love you too, baby! *hugses*

I'm only about 80/20 on the loving everyone, though.

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I love you too, baby! *hugses*

I'm only about 80/20 on the loving everyone, though.
          Oh god what is this video......

Lolol yes, if you mix the dancing and cooking together with a good glug of drunkenness. X)

Comment

if you mix the dancing and cooking together with a good glug of drunkenness. X)
            That describes my weekends.
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              Wooo party at badger's kitchen!

Comment

Having seens pics of BGs grits, thats not a bad thing....

Comment

• Given the photos buried in my journal, I wondered if that was a euphemism. I do like to cook and dance and drink...g&t or wine, opera or drum and bass and a wooden spoon. I like strong, gutsy food.
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Those text messages were classic, LMAO and you're right those decapitated chook feet is a bit creepy, finished product looks tidy though...

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                    Sounds good to me, get the party started....

Too right, some good tucker there!

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                    Given the photos buried in my journal, I wondered if that was a euphemism. I do like to cook and dance and drink...g&t or wine, opera or drum and bass and a wooden spoon. I like strong, gutsy food.
                    We got good memories, particularly when food is the topic....sounds like a good kitchen, and I can't imagine the Doc ever using a euphenism, err....

Comment

Oh god what is this video......

Lolol yes, if you mix the dancing and cooking together with a good glug of drunkenness. X)
                      You mean that video doesn't make you want to party 'til all hours in the streets of London? Back in 1983? *chuckle*

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                      Sounds like total fun! Although, I do tend to sing along and make up my own lyrics which can scare off folks.

Given the photos buried in my journal, I wondered if that was a euphemism. I do like to cook and dance and drink...g&t or wine, opera or drum and bass and a wooden spoon. I like strong, gutsy food.
                      I could make the chicken feet hotter.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                      Those text messages were classic, LMAO and you're right those decapitated chook feet is a bit creepy, finished product looks tidy though...

Sounds good to me, get the party started....

Too right, some good tucker there!

We got good memories, particularly when food is the topic....sounds like a good kitchen, and I can't imagine the Doc ever using a euphenism, err....
                      The first time I cut the nails, I was trying to cut too close to the actual nail, so it was easy to anthropomorphize the whole experience. After that, I just hacked it off at that end knuckle, so it became just meat cutting/prep.

Doc of the double entendre? Never!
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Silly stuff for a morning chuckle.

I can only post six pics to a post, so I’ll have to do two posts to get them all.

Yoga Sober and Drunk:

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Yoga continued...

Giving credit where credit is due, I found those pics here: Yoga Sober and Drunk | Funny Pictures

B*tch-lite

Comment

Sounds like total fun! Although, I do tend to sing along and make up my own lyrics which can scare off folks.
                            Used to work with a guy who done that to songs on the radio, only thing was he was adamant he was singing the right lyrics, it was hysterical....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            I could make the chicken feet hotter.
                            Now your talking....

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            Doc of the double entendre? Never!
                            Persactly, he would never lower himself!!

They pictures are priceless, I just laughed so hard me head aches....the top pair are killer!

Comment

• After passing out from one too many, you always have a bit of a nasty taste in your mouth. Can you image what Urinal Guy woke up with?!?

My SIL used to think that the lyrics "the girl with kaleidoscope eyes" were "the girl with colitis goes by". She thought they were singing about her because she had colitis.

Comment

• Hi Joanie!

It's me, your local lurker again. That tongue brine got me to thinking/wondering. Does it kinda turn out like corned beef?

Just curious because I'm hunting my freezer for tougher cuts of meat to make some corned beef and found the beef tongue (and tons of packages of liver) from last fall.
                                If I can hide the fact that it's the tongue from the rest of the family, I think it would be great for corned beef.
                                Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Working...
                                X