PaleoMom's Diet Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
    We're all the sum total of everything we've seen, but from that we formulate our own truth

And I appreciate the truth you've shaped. You see the dangers of orthorexia, you're not a slave to science, you recognise the importance of happiness, and you're well informed. Seriously, so few people are grounded these days that you're approach is pretty unique! Anyway, you don't have to blog or write a book to do something in nutrition - I would more see you working with people as a coach or something.

I'm imagining the disgust on your lurking enemies faces as they read this, ha

Ooops, sorry Paleomom for hijacking your journal!
    No worries and I agree with everything you've been saying to Zach. Great coach material
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Well, I woke up today with a body that feels and looks like it has lost weight and I totally resisted the urge to weigh and measure!

I had an argument yesterday with DH that first gave me the urge to starve myself to spite him and then instead I ate a ton while he was gone so I wouldn't have to eat in front of him later. I realized how I'm completely unable to eat in front of people I don't feel safe with. I would rather starve. I think in part this has to do with the level of annoyance I used to feel towards my parents for the sounds they made while eating. I would sometimes have to just leave the room so I wouldn't look crazy by blowing my top over chewing (not something I ever actually did). So now I feel like others might feel that way towards me and I can't stand the idea of being that annoying to someone, and for some reason being that annoying to someone I'm mad at is 10x worse. I'm not usually critical of other people but if I'm slightly annoyed with a person and the room is quiet and they are eating.... I don't think I've ever noticed a friend chewing, just family I guess. Wow, this is real interesting stuff! How many people just rolled their eyes and found a new thread? !

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
        YB, I'm trying to kill the habit but I too am one who pops out of bed, tape measure in hand. First bathroom, weight, measure, write it down and decide how I feel about myself. So sad! I'd been getting good about not weighing but after cutting a bit I got super curious again. For some reason I've been able to keep the tape measure put away.

One good thing though is that I notice I'm not as upset by the numbers not going down. I mostly want to just see them stop going up anymore.
        Well, I woke up today with a body that feels and looks like it has lost weight and I totally resisted the urge to weigh and measure!
        That's great news Paleomom! I reckon that weight loss comes in ups and downs, so the scales and measuring tape are totally worthless in the short term.

I had an argument yesterday with DH that first gave me the urge to starve myself to spite him and then instead I ate a ton while he was gone so I wouldn't have to eat in front of him later. I realized how I'm completely unable to eat in front of people I don't feel safe with. I would rather starve. I think in part this has to do with the level of annoyance I used to feel towards my parents for the sounds they made while eating. I would sometimes have to just leave the room so I wouldn't look crazy by blowing my top over chewing (not something I ever actually did). So now I feel like others might feel that way towards me and I can't stand the idea of being that annoying to someone, and for some reason being that annoying to someone I'm mad at is 10x worse. I'm not usually critical of other people but if I'm slightly annoyed with a person and the room is quiet and they are eating.... I don't think I've ever noticed a friend chewing, just family I guess. Wow, this is real interesting stuff! How many people just rolled their eyes and found a new thread? !
        That's funny - I actually started writing similar thoughts earlier on - thinking about how I got to have the habits with food that I have. I've also got issues eating in front of people... but for me it was cos' food was a form of escapism, and if anyone else was around it would take me out of the moment.

I have a feeling that learning to eat in front of others is a really important part of recovery. Then food becomes something to be shared; sometimes that sustains and nourishes life, instead of a secret that makes you fat...
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I almost forgot the best news, my morning temp was 99!!

Comment

That's great news Paleomom! I reckon that weight loss comes in ups and downs, so the scales and measuring tape are totally worthless in the short term.

That's funny - I actually started writing similar thoughts earlier on - thinking about how I got to have the habits with food that I have. I've also got issues eating in front of people... but for me it was cos' food was a form of escapism, and if anyone else was around it would take me out of the moment.

I have a feeling that learning to eat in front of others is a really important part of recovery. Then food becomes something to be shared; sometimes that sustains and nourishes life, instead of a secret that makes you fat...
            The funny thing is how I never thought of myself as someone that had a hard time eating in front of others. All this thinking about where these food issues come from has me realizing how different my eating habit are in front of other people that when I'm alone. I think I would go crazy if I went someplace where 100% of my time was in the presence of others so that there could be no eating by myself. Actually, I guess I have been in situations like that on vacations or family reunions. I always lose weight

Comment

I almost forgot the best news, my morning temp was 99!!
              Wow, thats awesome!

Just wait till you two can go to family gatherings and wreck shop at the dinner tables while everyone stares at you like your a freak. One of my absolute favorite things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                Wow, thats awesome!

Just wait till you two can go to family gatherings and wreck shop at the dinner tables while everyone stares at you like your a freak. One of my absolute favorite things to do.

Hee, hee, hee That would be fun. A certain sign of recovery.

Comment

YB, I wonder if I could ask a few yoga questions?...

I used to do Astanga daily, a 1hour 45 minute - 2 hours daily (primary series plus sometimes about 1/4 into the second). I was vegan and didn't often eat enough calories plus was in college under stress and little sleep. After several years of dedicated practice I made very little strength gains and even smaller flexibility gains (although I was naturally pretty flexible to begin with). I totally burned my adrenals and was tired all day after yoga.

When trying to go back to it, even after weightlifting for a few years, I still get so burnt out if I do it more than a day in a row. I'm curious what kind of strength gains you've seen over say 6 months of work in people eating well and also if you see greater improvement in those who only practice a few times a week instead of daily.

I don't want to make huge stereotypes but I will anyway.... Why do you think the gurus in books look weak and flabby (though obviously incredibly flexible) and yet Westerners who practice tend to look lean and strong?

Comment

YB, I wonder if I could ask a few yoga questions?...

I used to do Astanga daily, a 1hour 45 minute - 2 hours daily (primary series plus sometimes about 1/4 into the second). I was vegan and didn't often eat enough calories plus was in college under stress and little sleep. After several years of dedicated practice I made very little strength gains and even smaller flexibility gains (although I was naturally pretty flexible to begin with). I totally burned my adrenals and was tired all day after yoga.

When trying to go back to it, even after weightlifting for a few years, I still get so burnt out if I do it more than a day in a row. I'm curious what kind of strength gains you've seen over say 6 months of work in people eating well and also if you see greater improvement in those who only practice a few times a week instead of daily.

I don't want to make huge stereotypes but I will anyway.... Why do you think the gurus in books look weak and flabby (though obviously incredibly flexible) and yet Westerners who practice tend to look lean and strong?
                    Wow - those are great questions! Let me have a think and get back to you.

why don't you post them on that Yoga thread I started (that you and Zach just posted on). That way some of the other yogis might answer and share their wisdom
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Holy cow! Once again, I could have written this myself. I'm amazed by the number of food issues I have/had that I was never really aware for years. A big part of my frustration with eating around other people stems from being put in a position to justify why I do or don't eat certain foods for the last few years, mostly those due to intolerances - I don't have ANY issue with explaining my primal woe - that's just automatic. It just got old and became easier to eat at home without hearing anyone's crap. I'd rather forego eating at social events and feel hungry until I can RELAX and enjoy the few foods I CAN eat! Maybe the bigger problem is that I'm using it as a form of escapism? Hmmm...

I'm glad both of you continue to journal about and discuss how you're doing. I've been following since day one and I know that many others are as well. Keep it up!
                      Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Today was the 1 week weigh in. I'm down .4 pounds, which I think is more of a maintenance than a loss given the range of daily variation. I'm only a few days was from TOM but I don't usually have related gain/loss from that. If nothing else, I'm very pleased to be able to eat this much and maintain my weight. It is double what I used to maintain at.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                          Holy cow! Once again, I could have written this myself. I'm amazed by the number of food issues I have/had that I was never really aware for years. A big part of my frustration with eating around other people stems from being put in a position to justify why I do or don't eat certain foods for the last few years, mostly those due to intolerances - I don't have ANY issue with explaining my primal woe - that's just automatic. It just got old and became easier to eat at home without hearing anyone's crap. I'd rather forego eating at social events and feel hungry until I can RELAX and enjoy the few foods I CAN eat! Maybe the bigger problem is that I'm using it as a form of escapism? Hmmm...

I'm glad both of you continue to journal about and discuss how you're doing. I've been following since day one and I know that many others are as well. Keep it up!
                          So glad it resonated Jenn! I actually live with an alcoholic, and I can see a lot of my ED behaviour in him. He hides his beer cans, and watches the clock for "acceptable" times to drink. He's very unhappy and drink makes him feel better. What makes you think you are using food as escapism?

And thanks so much for the warm words - they mean a lot. I'm really glad to hear you're reading. Don't be a stranger!

- Ray Peat

Comment

Today was the 1 week weigh in. I'm down .4 pounds, which I think is more of a maintenance than a loss given the range of daily variation. I'm only a few days was from TOM but I don't usually have related gain/loss from that. If nothing else, I'm very pleased to be able to eat this much and maintain my weight. It is double what I used to maintain at.
                            Is that .4 lbs in addition to the two you dropped last week?
                            Last edited by YogaBare; 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

That would be a grand total of .4. I was at my peak of 146.4 last week and now 146. I'm not really bummed, I had some high calorie days in there where I felt really hungry and I satisfied that hunger. Being able to eat like I did this week and maintain is pretty awesome really! I know I intended to cut back a bit this week but that really only happened about half the time and the other days I was hungrier, especially for starch. I suppose that is normal for the week before TOM.

Comment

That would be a grand total of .4. I was at my peak of 146.4 last week and now 146. I'm not really bummed, I had some high calorie days in there where I felt really hungry and I satisfied that hunger. Being able to eat like I did this week and maintain is pretty awesome really! I know I intended to cut back a bit this week but that really only happened about half the time and the other days I was hungrier, especially for starch. I suppose that is normal for the week before TOM.
                                That's cool that you're feeling good about it! And maybe the weight is going to come off slowly. I thought I would drop weight quickly but it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. My body is changing though - some bits are getting smaller and others are getting bigger... it's weird.

My entry today is going to be all about hunger btw!

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X