PaleoMom's Diet Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    It would depend on which specific hormone she is deficient in. To say "TSH is low therefore hypopituitarism and sex hormones are low... interesting" is making a giant leap and doesn't really make sense especially given the function of TSH.

Besides, fixing thyroid always fixes pituitary, by removing the excess strain on it.
    YB is remembering these test results that I received a few months ago:

My vit. D. was 41 so I'm going back to 4,000 iu (instead of 2,000) to bring up a bit higher. (This one has already been retested and I'm now at 58)

estradiol 1.2 (1.3-3.3)

progesterone 10 ( 75-270 luteal) or (12-100 follicular) This one got messed up because my very regular cycle decided not to be now that I wanted to test something! The test was supposed to be day 20 of my cycle but I'm now 8 days late and probably didn't ovulate...

testosterone 22 (16-55) age dependent, I should be 31

DHEA 2.6 (2-23) age dependent, I should be 8

cortisol morning 7.1 (3.7-9.5)
    noon 1.6 (1.2 - 3.0)
    evening 0.9 (0.6-1.9)
    night 0.3 (0.4-1.0)

free T4 1.5 (0.7-2.5)
    free T3 2.6 (2.5-6.5)
    TSH 0.8 (0.5-3.0)
    TPO 27 (0-150)

That was all the saliva and blood spot testing. The other blood test was mostly normal so I won't post it all except for:

CO2 21 (22-31)
    BUN 7 (8-25)
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

PM, I wouldn't go for Rhodiola either. People build up an immunity to it after a few weeks, so I look at it as a short term fix.
      Don't worry, I won't be taking it. I couldn't function as anything but a red ridden zombie on that stuff! I almost fell over trying to get up and go 10 ft. to the bathroom.

Comment

• Hmmm, the hypopituitarism is interesting. Can be caused by both hemorrhaging during childbirth and head trauma, both of which I've had. Also, the potential for a tumor - lets not go there.... I do find it unusual that after a decade and a half of trying to heal I'm still dealing with the same stuff for the most part. Things have improved somewhat but I still am running around trying to find the magic doctor and trying to get most of my hormones up.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
          Hmmm, the hypopituitarism is interesting. Can be caused by both hemorrhaging during childbirth and head trauma, both of which I've had. Also, the potential for a tumor - lets not go there.... I do find it unusual that after a decade and a half of trying to heal I'm still dealing with the same stuff for the most part. Things have improved somewhat but I still am running around trying to find the magic doctor and trying to get most of my hormones up.
          I just thought it was interesting that your TSH has vacillated so wildly, and that now all the hormones produced by pituitary are low... There doesn't seem to be much research on it, and no cure (of course ) but I reckon you could go with Peat's theory that getting the thyroid working will sort out the pituitary gland (if that is what's wrong).

Do you think it's worth testing for?
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I just thought it was interesting that your TSH has vacillated so wildly, and that now all the hormones produced by pituitary are low... There doesn't seem to be much research on it, and no cure (of course ) but I reckon you could go with Peat's theory that getting the thyroid working will sort out the pituitary gland (if that is what's wrong).

Do you think it's worth testing for?
            The TSH changed dramtically, but at the time that it was high all my other hormones were low then too, so that isn't new.

I don't think I will test for it unless I don't see any improvements. I will keep eating this way and see what happens over time. I'm still unsure as to why cynomel is preferred over a natural thyroid glandular. I feel hesitant to take something so precise and isolated.

Today is about 2 weeks on Peat and I weighed in again. No change again

Comment

I'm still unsure as to why cynomel is preferred over a natural thyroid glandular.
              Because your t3 is low, but your t4 is fine. Your thyroid is producing enough thyroid hormone (t4), but your liver is not converting it to t3. Raw thyroid is for people who need an overall thyroid boost, or for someone like me whose t3 is low, but t4 is even lower.

I understand the reticence about taking it - I really do. It took me six months before I decided to try Raw thyroid. Just keep it in mind as an option. You're already on a lot of sups, and you've just changed your diet - give it a month or three and then re-evaluate. Sometimes eating more carbs is enough to boost someones t3.

Today is about 2 weeks on Peat and I weighed in again. No change again
              If it's any consolation, I lost nothing in the first two weeks, then I tweaked things a little and 8 lbs flew off me in a month. Now I'm on a month-long plateau, and I'm pretty sure it's cos' my I got my marcos screwed. When I first started I was eating a lot more fruit, then it gradually became dairy dominated. My point is: you need to observe. There is a balance that will encourage your body to lose fat: you just need to find that I think you're on the right track - it will just take time, as it's taking for me.
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Thanks YB for the explanation on cynomel. That makes sense. I do think I'll give the diet a chance to make a difference and then re-evaluate after a few months. I think eating more carbs like you said and also keeping the calories up will both help and both things I have been low on over the last decade. High carb used to be 150 gram days, I really though that was a lot! Today I'm looking at 460 if I can get it all down.

That is a great consolation actually. I do feel like it takes a bit for a body to get used to a new change and learn how to digest a new macro ratio. I'm feeling pretty good today all the adaptogenic herbs and eggs are out of my system I've been eating massive quantities of fruit and making green juices. Super high carb trying to keep my fat as low as I can without massive craving for it. Each day feels like it is easier for me to reduce the fat and also to digest more fruit. I'm usually getting lots of milk in but I'm had the last cup this morning and my milk lady doesn't have anymore for me yet. Hopefully soon!!

I've always been bad about getting greens in so the juicing has been good for me. I'm all about trying the health trends that I've never done before right now (different = having the potential to help me since nothing in the past has worked) so I'm currently high carb, low fat (but also low pufa), and raw, plus the high daily green intake. All new things that some pretty darn skinny people do. When I was vegan in the past I was super low calorie and low fat (but all veggie fat), mostly cooked and heavy on the grains and legumes. Basically this looks like a raw durian style diet with added raw liver, raw milk, small amounts of raw cheese and rawish beef jerky for protein and proper fats (but still keeping fat low).

When I'm not feeling bogged down from negative reactions to food/meds I do think I'm feeling better overall. My mental clarity is improving and energy is coming back. I still have a little bit of an anxious amped up feeling (odd how it can mix with the fatigue) but also a super calm feeling in there as well and that seems to be increasing. I think the green juice is really adding to the calm feelings.

The raw food diet has always intrigued me but after my vegan days did me in I never felt like trying it. What I'm doing now seems like it might take the healthiest parts of the raw vegan diet and mix it with all the greatest parts of a primal diet. I might go back to eating some more cooked veggies in the winter, but we'll see. What I really want from all this is the energy I need to live an active life with enough left over that I can go back to yoga, better concentration, lose all this fat I've been battling with and if I'm really lucky put on 10 pounds of muscle. Wish me luck

Comment

• I really think that lowering the fat and upping carbs will help you - both with energy and fat loss! I didn't realise that you were still eating HF when trying to lose weight... It aint going to happen for a lot of people.

Keep monitoring how you're feeling and try to be vigilant with one way of eating for a while - progress isn't linear, and remember how far you've already come! <3

- Ray Peat

Comment

I really think that lowering the fat and upping carbs will help you - both with energy and fat loss! I didn't realise that you were still eating HF when trying to lose weight... It aint going to happen for a lot of people.

Keep monitoring how you're feeling and try to be vigilant with one way of eating for a while - progress isn't linear, and remember how far you've already come! <3
                    Yes, I haven't eaten low fat since I was in my very early 20's. Then I was pregnant and nursing which makes weight loss super easy and after that I was full on animals fats getting fatter the whole time. Seems obvious looking back but it hasn't been. I was blinded by books like Good Calories Bad Calories and all the Inuit stories. I kept thinking I wasn't eating enough and if I could just get more fat in I would somehow magically lose weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      Besides, fixing thyroid always fixes pituitary, by removing the excess strain on it.
                      This is not true. If your pituitary is damage by something--blow to the head, hemorrhage during childbirth...-- then the thyroid may be functional but not receiving the correct signals from a damaged pituitary.

If TSH, FT4, FT3, are low then hypopit may be the culprit. If sex hormones, cortisol, and/ or growth hormone are low then the possibility of hypopit is stronger. And, IMO, it's time to test actual pituitary hormones, including stimulation tests.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                        This is not true. If your pituitary is damage by something--blow to the head, hemorrhage during childbirth...-- then the thyroid may be functional but not receiving the correct signals from a damaged pituitary.

If TSH, FT4, FT3, are low then hypopit may be the culprit. If sex hormones, cortisol, and/ or growth hormone are low then the possibility of hypopit is stronger. And, IMO, it's time to test actual pituitary hormones, including stimulation tests.
                        OK lol
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

Hmmm, the hypopituitarism is interesting. Can be caused by both hemorrhaging during childbirth and head trauma, both of which I've had. Also, the potential for a tumor - lets not go there.... I do find it unusual that after a decade and a half of trying to heal I'm still dealing with the same stuff for the most part. Things have improved somewhat but I still am running around trying to find the magic doctor and trying to get most of my hormones up.
                          Yes hypopit can be caused by hemorrhaging during childbirth. It's called Sheehan's Syndrome. Sheehan's syndrome - MayoClinic.com

It can also be caused by head trauma.

With hypopit you can have partial function of some pituitary hormones, full function of others, and no functions of others still. Overtime the hormones that are functioning can diminish/stop functioning and new or stronger symptoms can occur

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post

My FT3 isn't low but yes to everything else.

When I was 15 I was in a snowmobile accident and was momentarily knocked out but lost my memory initially but it came back over two weeks. I felt week and dizzy for a good month afterwards. I still don't remember the actual accident though.

Then around the same time, actually I think it was a few months prior, I had a massive mystery vaginal hemorrhage where I bled enough that I went into shock at the hospital and nearly died but not enough that they wanted to give a transfusion. If it was enough to kill me and that wasn't enough to warrant blood, I'm not sure who is qualifying :P

When I had my first child I started hemorrhaging afterward but it was quickly stopped with an injection.

Does that sound like the types of things to cause the hypopituitarism?

Comment

• With this result- free T3 2.6 (2.5-6.5)-- I would say your FT3 is low. Your FT4 is higher which indicates a conversion problem.

Things that can hinder T4 to T3 conversion include:
                              1. Anemia, including low ferritin
                              2. Low vitamin D
                              3. Not enough calories and/or carbs
                              4. Stress, including overtraining
                              5. Poor liver function

And, given your history hypopit may be a possibility.

Comment

• Sometimes t3 is needed to recover, diet wont be enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X