Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PaleoMom's Diet Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    I never have less than 1g of caffeine a day, sometimes pushing 3. Popular "science" states I will die after 10-24g, but I've probably had more than that when I was in high school or even recently I remember having like 2 gallons of coffee. I'm tempted to test this again, to be sure, but that's a fuckload of espresso shots.

    Note: I make my coffee extremely "sludge" like, so it's super strong.
    2 GALLONS!!! That is so much. I think I would die or wish I could if I drank that much.
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

    Comment


    • Well, good for you or not I've got to cut down on the caffeine until it stops making me feel so bad.
      PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

      Comment


      • Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
        2 GALLONS!!! That is so much. I think I would die or wish I could if I drank that much.
        Yeah for sure. Somehow I'm always calm though, coffee just makes me more focused. I think I've built up a high tolerance and I'm apparently a "fast metabolizing" caffeine type. From 6 years old on I usually had 3-10 cups a day, moreso when I was a teenager, but replaced some of the coffee with other sources of caffeine like red bulls.
        Make America Great Again

        Comment


        • Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
          Well, good for you or not I've got to cut down on the caffeine until it stops making me feel so bad.
          How long have you been drinking it and how much?

          To put this into context with some sources, and make it relevant:

          it is important to point out that the chronic consumption of caffeine creates a tolerance to its adenosine receptor-dependent effects. Chronic blocking of the adenosine receptors, inducing “upregulation” (an increase in the number and sensitivity) of the receptors has been described with a low-moderate caffeine consumption (approximately two cups of coffee for more than 5 days) [66]. A meta-analysis carried out in 1999 [67] described an increase in the systolic and diastolic arterial pressure (2.4 and 1.2 mmHg, resp.) with the chronic consumption of 5 cups of coffee a day, on average, which is a considerably lower value from that obtained in studies carried out on subjects who are not caffeine consumers.This “up-regulation” generates the “abstinence syndrome” described by Griffiths in 1988 [68], characterized by headache, fatigue, flushing, and anxiety. When you abruptly stop the consumption of caffeine in a habitual consumer, there is a greater number of available adenosine receptors, which potentiates the vasodilation produced by adenosine, causing the symptoms [59, 69, 70]. It has been asserted that the predominant cardiovascular effects of caffeine occur at the adenosine receptors because much lower concentrations are required (m) than those used in studies that show their effect on Ca2+ and phosphodiesterase (mM), which are concentrations that are not attained in vivo [71]. However, in our in vitro studies which were carried out with micromolar (m) concentrations of caffeine there was a significant vasodilator effect (approximately 75%) at human consumption concentrations [46]. In vitro studies do not evaluate the systemic response to caffeine, and therefore it is not clear yet which one of the mechanisms of action predominates in vivo, given that there are various factors that affect its metabolism and its effects.




          I remember my first kiss, it was raining and the scent of coffee waft through the air. It was strangely poetic, looking back on it, but the most memorable thing was the strong smell of coffee mixed with the strawberry aroma of her shampoo. Her lipstick stained my coffee cup, and I never did wash that.
          Last edited by Derpamix; 09-15-2013, 09:35 PM.
          Make America Great Again

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
            I remember my first kiss, it was raining and the scent of coffee waft through the air. It was strangely poetic, looking back on it, but the most memorable thing was the strong smell of coffee mixed with the strawberry aroma of her shampoo. Her lipstick stained my coffee cup, and I never did wash that.
            Awww, how sweet

            I used to drink a cup of white tea every morning and then would resteep the same leaves as the day went on. I stopped though because I was getting worse and worse- meaning more shaky, low blood sugar type of feelings from it, anxious and a wired but tired feeling. Overall it makes me more tired than more awake. I had stopped but then with the cooler weather (except this week) I started a few times a week with the tea and then over the last week I've been making the chai in the morning. Rather than feel like I build up a tolerance to caffeine, I find that it gets worse and worse each day. If I don't drink it for several days I'm able to have a cup with little reaction.

            Coffee is out of the question at this house. My husband hates it so much that when his family comes to visit they have to leave the house and go someplace else to drink their morning cup. I have heard that the caffeine in coffee reacts differently in the body and that makes me somewhat curious if I would react the same to it, but my husband would smell it a mile away.
            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

            Comment


            • The tannins in tea sharply drop blood sugar, so, yeah if you're susceptible to that
              Make America Great Again

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                The tannins in tea sharply drop blood sugar, so, yeah if you're susceptible to that
                Interesting, thanks for passing that on. It is weird that I don't ever get low blood sugar anymore (the last 10 years or so) even if I skip several meals in a row but the tea gives me such a strong reaction compared to the average person.

                I did the cocoa instead this morning, I feel like shit but that may be more from having crap sleep last night and then getting up at 5 am. There were thunderstorms last night which brought one of my kids to my bed and meant that was pretty much the end of good sleep for me.

                I also felt insanely thirsty all night, very dry mouth (I usually have plenty of saliva) and I had to keep drinking water all night and then kept having to pee. This didn't help me get better sleep last night.

                This diet has been making me more and more hungry. I feel like eating about every hour or two (I normally eat and then forget about food for 4-5 hours) and I'm really thirsty even though I'm drinking water and tons of watery fruit and milk.

                The weather is 20 degrees down from yesterday (and the previous week) which makes me ever so happy. This kind of weather gets me all inspired to make positive changes and start new projects. I love autumn!
                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                Comment


                • Just had a thought Pm... what are your macros? Are you getting enough protein?
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                  In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                  - Ray Peat

                  Comment


                  • I've been getting around 75-120g of protein this week from milk, gelatin, cheese and beef jerky in that order. Fat is 30-75g and carbs for the rest of it for a caloric total of around 1800-2400. Mostly on the low end of that, but yesterday I really ate a ton.
                    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                    Comment


                    • Why dont you try upping your protein a bit? When you described your food a while back it sounded very high carb with posssibly not enough protein to balance it. It might account for some of your symtoms. You shouldnt be so thirsty or drinking so much water - it's a sign something is off I think.

                      Protein might be a good for you anyway. Even if you got too much protein without carbohydrate , it can increase cortisol, which could be a good thing in your case.

                      Keep playing with it! If something's not working dont keep doing the same thing.
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                      - Ray Peat

                      Comment


                      • Maybe it would benefit to replace the liquid protein with solid foods?

                        This thread may help http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ad.php?t=95002
                        Last edited by jodi29; 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          Why dont you try upping your protein a bit? When you described your food a while back it sounded very high carb with posssibly not enough protein to balance it. It might account for some of your symtoms. You shouldnt be so thirsty or drinking so much water - it's a sign something is off I think.

                          Protein might be a good for you anyway. Even if you got too much protein without carbohydrate , it can increase cortisol, which could be a good thing in your case.

                          Keep playing with it! If something's not working dont keep doing the same thing.
                          That is a lot more protein than what I have been getting before Peat. I'm hesitant to up it right now since that would mean bringing back more meat, which I'm wanting to give myself permission to move away from for now, or more milk/cheese which I'm trying to cut the fat down and I don't feel like the skim milk digests very well. I'm hoping my body just needs a little while to adjust to the jump in carbs and then all will settle down. I'm at least willing to give it a few days to try and them rethink things later. I won't keep doing things that aren't working but I think this at least deserves a trial period before switching it around again.
                          PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jodi29 View Post
                            Maybe it would benefit to replace the liquid protein with solid foods?

                            This thread may help Milk? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
                            Do you mean solid foods as a way of getting more protein in?
                            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                            Comment


                            • Yes, should have worded that differently. Just from my own experience, I feel fuller longer when I have protein in a solid form vs liquid.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                                That is a lot more protein than what I have been getting before Peat. I'm hesitant to up it right now since that would mean bringing back more meat, which I'm wanting to give myself permission to move away from for now, or more milk/cheese which I'm trying to cut the fat down and I don't feel like the skim milk digests very well. I'm hoping my body just needs a little while to adjust to the jump in carbs and then all will settle down. I'm at least willing to give it a few days to try and them rethink things later. I won't keep doing things that aren't working but I think this at least deserves a trial period before switching it around again.
                                Okay, serious question. If this is more protein that you were eating before, and more carbs than you were eating before... then what were you eating before??! Were you getting most of your cals from fat?
                                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                                - Ray Peat

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X