No announcement yet.

PaleoMom's Diet Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted this on the nutritional forum but wanted it here as well...

Omega 3/6 blood test results!

My Dr. just ordered a test for me through Health Diagnostic Laboratory Inc. that tests your fatty acid profile. I thought this community would find my results informative and reassuring. I have been terrible about taking my cod liver oil for the last 9 months or so and was worried my fat balance would be off, but it wasn't. I eat lots of raw grass fed dairy (we get local jersey milk and make our own dairy products), grass fed beef and pastured chicken, almost no olive oil, near zero other veggie oils and nuts are a rare snack for me. (I'm not saying this is how you should eat, just that this is how I've been eating and here are my results)

HS-Omega-3 Index (RBC EPA+DHA) = 9.3 (optimal range >8.0)

Details: All the numbers in ( ) are the "range", it doesn't say optimal range, so I think it is just the range they find patients falling into?

Omega 3 - 13.0% (0.1-14.1)
    ALA - 0.2% (0.1-0.4)
    DPA - 3.6% (0.6-4.1)
    EPA - 1.8% (0.1-2.5)
    DHA - 7.5% (0.1-8.4)

Omega-6 27.5% (28.6-44.5)
    AA 13.5 (10.5-23.3)
    LA 9.6 (4.6-21.3)

Monounsaturated 17.2 (11.5-20.5)
    Saturated 41.2 (36.6-42.0)
    Trans 1.1 (<0.1-1.8)
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• end of summer update:

It is been almost 6 months since I started eating more and much has changed. I've been massively busy all summer working on our huge garden but that is all winding down now.

Hormones and supps:
      Vitamin D3 4,000 IU
      K2 100 mcg
      Magnesium 150mg?
      Kelp
      adrenal support (this keeps changing, so I don't know what to write here)
      DHEA 15mg

The DHEA is really helping a ton. I went lower for a bit and then back up (I was having trouble but it turned out to be the adrenal support not the dhea). I don't know if more might be even better but this is what my Dr. is telling me to do and he seems sharp I think this is what is giving me the greatest boost in my energy and mental clarity. It is also making my boobs grow like crazy. I have gone from a 34C to a 36D at my fullest part of the month and 36C at the smallest. I used to be a 34B but went up to a 34C with the fenugreek. Still very perky too, so I feel really OUT there

Some of the adrenal supports have been making me feel wired and tired and I find that I need the absolute minimum dose of them but a little is still better than none. The second one I tried, I had a complete paradoxical reaction and it was like taking a sleeping pill. I had not choice in falling directly asleep about 5 hours later. It was a very pleasant sleep though and in some ways was quite welcome but for something that was supposed to be giving me energy it wasn't working! I'm on a new one right now that just started and it seems to be helping mildly with the energy but more importantly doesn't seem to be giving me any negative effects like the wired and tired feeling.

Diet:
      I have found I am eating a ton less now even though I have been very active all summer. After all the "eating a ton" things have certainly fallen back down to normal. I'm eating around 1600-2000 calories a day depending on activity. Throughout the summer I've been doing a lot of moving around type activity - 2-3 hours a day in the garden plus about 3 hours of food prep in the kitchen. Not heavy work but constant and enough that I don't have energy to do more. That is all slowing down now and I've returned in the last week to lifting. We took down our gym (desperately needed the space) but I have been doing pull-ups, push-ups and with my 45# kettlebell I do squats and single leg deadlifts. I mostly used the gym for nice heavy squats but this is okay and sure takes up a ton less space. I'm trying for every 2-3 days.

I've found a great new source of raw jersey milk really close to me and have been making my own butter, cheeses, yogurt and kefir from it. I love milk. I love cows. I love the cows that give me milk I really want to spoil them in every way for the goodness they give.

I have started fermenting flour and making some baked goods. I find it interesting that my kids who have been super sensitive to gluten and only do so so on gluten free baked goods have no reaction whatsoever to my soaked/fermented baked goods. I've been making sourdough bread, biscuits, tortillas and pasta. We still don't eat a ton, maybe one meal a day about 5 days a week that has something in it. I have been mostly using it as a way of making family meals easier. Making lasagna (homemade raw cheese!), burritos, sandwiches and a bit of biscuit or toast to go with soup really improves the family meals and satisfaction. I have found that while I can become very addicted to wheat very quickly, these fermented foods are completely unaddicting. I eat what I want to make a nice meal but there is no desire for more. If I don't have things to go inside a sandwich, that sourdough can just sit there and go bad which is something that would NEVER happen with a normal sourdough from the store.

I find myself feeling very balanced with food. No cravings for anything, no binging, no cheating food. It feels like I just truly can listen to my body and eat just what I need and no more or less. I can feel when I've been more active and my body wants more. I feel like I can tell exactly if it needs fat, carbs or protein. All is in balance, except my weight.

After reaching my peak weight a few months into the start of this whole thing I dropped back around 1-2 pounds and have stayed there no matter what. Dropping calories, increasing calories, increasing exercise, nothing makes a dent. It is sort of awesome as far as no longer having any fears of gaining. I do think that if I lost this fat I would have no trouble maintaining that loss forever at this point. I have noticed though that my tolerance for dieting has gone away completely. I have tried a few diets in the last four months and can't take it more than a day. I used to be able to put up with anything during my diets and now I feel like my body screams back at me to knock it off in a whole new way. Cutting carbs or fat is completely out of the question, it seems. I used to have no trouble at all doing that but now I think my body has had a taste of balanced eating and will not allow me to try stupid things again.

If you look at my last post it has some test results. I was pretty excited to have my fatty acids tested. I don't feel so paranoid about avoiding nuts and olive oil or taking cod liver oil all the time. He also tested my iron and ferretin (fine) and cholesterol. My cholesterol wasn't fabulous, higher than ever before but that is probably a good thing. He wasn't concerned about my total cholesterol but the details of it could have been better. I'll do a separate post later on all that.

After all these test came back with no answer for my joint pain (my systemic inflammation was also really low) he did a different acupuncture treatment on me and it has done wonders for all my joint pain.

I'm still wanting more energy but I do feel like that will come. I really want to be losing about 20 pounds of fat though. I'm still wondering if my body is stuck at this weight because this is the weight it wants to be and I should just focus on recomp and not expect my fat to go down faster than my muscle can build up. Did I battle weight gain my whole life simply because I didn't have enough muscle? I keep reading things about others like Molly Galbraith and GoKaleo that makes me think there is a set weight we want to be and we will fight to stay there even if it means gaining fat to do so. Hopefully though, gaining muscle will allow the fat to come off easily.

In the past I have had a tough time keeping the muscle I gain. I will gain muscle but as soon as I am not constantly lifting I go back to where I started in strength even after large gains. I think this may have been because of my low dhea, cortisol and testosterone. Hopefully as these get better I will have an easier time putting on muscle and keeping it.
      Last edited by PaleoMom; 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• I nearly missed this post!

Firstly - YOWZA! (my new favourite word ) Your breasts increased that much?? I am so tempted to try the fenugreek... but I'm still not sure if it causes oestrogen to increase :/

Secondly, I'm so happy to see that the doctor is sharp! Remember how stressful it was for you trying to get a diagnosis? It's so great that you finally found someone good

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
        After reaching my peak weight a few months into the start of this whole thing I dropped back around 1-2 pounds and have stayed there no matter what. Dropping calories, increasing calories, increasing exercise, nothing makes a dent. It is sort of awesome as far as no longer having any fears of gaining. I do think that if I lost this fat I would have no trouble maintaining that loss forever at this point. I have noticed though that my tolerance for dieting has gone away completely. I have tried a few diets in the last four months and can't take it more than a day. I used to be able to put up with anything during my diets and now I feel like my body screams back at me to knock it off in a whole new way. Cutting carbs or fat is completely out of the question, it seems. I used to have no trouble at all doing that but now I think my body has had a taste of balanced eating and will not allow me to try stupid things again.
        This bit really stood out for me, because until I started eating Peat, it was exactly how I felt. Word for word. But now I'm eating all the foods I love (dairy, fruit, sugar), I never feel deprived, I have tons of energy, and my appetite is a lot smaller than usual. I dropped 8 lbs initially, then regained 2 (did too much cardio), but I think I'm losing again. I still have about 7 lbs to go though. Anyway, I don't mean to be a Peat pusher but...
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I'll have to check out the Peat thread. Are you following the general Peat diet like others or are you changing things in your own way at all?

Most of the breast growth came from the DHEA, which for me I was really low in. I would never take it without a test that says you are low though.... Hubby has been VERY excited lately

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
            I'll have to check out the Peat thread. Are you following the general Peat diet like others or are you changing things in your own way at all?

Most of the breast growth came from the DHEA, which for me I was really low in. I would never take it without a test that says you are low though.... Hubby has been VERY excited lately
            LOL - lucky you (and him )

The staples of Peat are OJ and milk, and I'm not really doing those, but I am consuming loads of dairy, gelatine and fruit and shell fish. He has particular foods that he favours but I'm not going that deeply into it (eg. he prefers people to eat water melon than any other kind, but I eat galia the most because they are cheapest).

I got some answers back to your question - do you want me to post them here of on the Peat thread?
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Thank you, but I found it on the Peat forum

I also realized when rereading my test results and explanation that because of my lack of ovulation that cycle I can't really be all that certain with my estrogen. I also realized when reading more about Peat's recommendations that I mostly already eat that way! I just used to feel guilty about it and now I can think "I'm supposed to eat like this" I don't like eating much meat (flesh of any kind), starches are a bother and I always want to go for dairy and fruit first, everything else is a compromise. I will put more effort into getting broth and gelatine. I realized that my favorite treat is very Peat - homemade chai made with my raw milk, honey and spices. I added extra honey today

I love watermelon but it is so expensive and organic is even more out of the question. Right now at the farmers market I'm able to pick up organic local apples, pears, peaches and plums. I didn't buy a single veggie this week and I'm chuckling to myself about it.

I hardly have to make any changes to really give this a direct go, so I see no reason not to try this for awhile and see if I notice anything. I sure slept awesome last night with the gelatine injected broth.

Comment

• Those answers weren't too helpful anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. But I do think this woe would help most hormonal conditions. Focus on raising your progesterone, and I'm sure your other hormones will balance out too. Just checked your thyroid numbers - your T3 is practically borderline! A high carb diet will help with that a lot.

That's so funny, but this woe is exactly how I want to eat too! Dairy was always my favourite food when I was a child... and sweets Hot milk with honey was my favourite drink, and I ALWAYS loved coffee. I was never into savoury food. I now believe that the foods we liked as kids are the foods we should be eating! This woe is definitely the best I've ever felt. I'm sure the progesterone is mostly responsible, but the diet is definitely helping.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Perhaps we are naturally drawn to this type of food BECAUSE our hormones are off. I'm curious if I get tested in the future and everything is just perfect if my tastes might have changed....

Comment

• I have been doing a few cosmetic experiments recently. The Tanaka face massage, the No Lipo-lipo massage on the thighs and the derma roller (1mm) on my scars.

At first I thought the tanaka massage was doing wonders but then I suddenly had bags of fluid under my eyes. I have never in my life had any sort of puffiness there, so I know it had to be the massage. I have backed off now and it has gone away but I'm still wanting to do the massage so, I'll just be more careful to not push so hard. It was really smoothing out my face a ton though. I don't have wrinkles but has started getting more of that lumpy droopy look that age brings. I'm making it sound bad but it is really subtle, hubby still says I look 20 (I don't) but I'm just saying that this isn't some miracle that might make a 60 year old look 15 or something

The thigh massage and more vigorous skin brushing is making some improvement to the cellulite but it is subtle and not a huge change yet...

No change yet with the derma roller...

Comment

The DHEA is really helping a ton. I went lower for a bit and then back up (I was having trouble but it turned out to be the adrenal support not the dhea). I don't know if more might be even better but this is what my Dr. is telling me to do and he seems sharp I think this is what is giving me the greatest boost in my energy and mental clarity. It is also making my boobs grow like crazy. I have gone from a 34C to a 36D at my fullest part of the month and 36C at the smallest. I used to be a 34B but went up to a 34C with the fenugreek. Still very perky too, so I feel really OUT there
                      Reading here as I said I would :P YB was right, our bloodwork is pretty similar. Glad to hear the DHEA and other things are improving your situation. Fingers crossed it does for me, too! With that in mind, this has reminded me I need to take mine now, haha.

A note on bra size, my aformentioned new bra purchases in the other thread are to correct the terrible bra fittings that we have here in the States, where they even had me purchase a 38D because of some reason or another.

I'm 34 inches across my ribs (where the brastrap is), and that is the band I should be wearing, full stop, with cups expanding as necessary. With that in mind, if you were a 34C and your boobs got bigger, putting you in a 36D size cup, but your ribs are otherwise the same -- you should really be in a 34DD! Exactly the sizes I'm wearing right now (36D) and what i'm also "upgrading" to (34DD).

Cup size is relative to the band, so a 36B is the same boob size as a 34C, or a 32D, or a 30DD ... Victoria's secret makes pretty bras, but sucks with availability, since they don't carry under 32 bands, or cups over DD, both of which exist and are very frequent if fitted correctly! (which is part of the bad sizing problem, imo)

I think i've turned into a bra nerd, but once I found one that fits correctly, man did it make a difference.

And sorry to have hijacked; back to your regularly scheduled programming. This WOE does agree with me as well, it stunk to have cut all those good carby things out for so long

Comment

• I didn't actually see your other posts on bra size, I was just saying that because these hormones really made my breasts start growing. I really did need to go up in band size too, the 34 was cutting in too much. I had been fitting a 34D but was coming out a bit (couldn't find a 34DD) but then I tried the 36C which was so much more comfy around the band. I come spilling out at my biggest time of the month but overall this one fits me the best for the most number of days of the month

Sorry I don't have more to add on the hormones, I'm usually full of unsolicited advice I'm still trying to fine tune things myself.

Comment

• Glad you two are talking Isn't it interesting that you have such similar results and experiences? I wonder if you both have a condition that hasn't been "discovered" / named yet? Oestrogen dominance (which is what I have) was only coined in the last twenty years.

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                          I'm still trying to fine tune things myself.
                          Meeee too. I'm experimenting with this thyroid sup right now... not sure if it's the right decision, but I figure it can't hurt too much to try it for a few weeks...

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Yeah, I sort of wonder if I am even capable of producing enough hormones. I have never been tested for anything and been anything but low. Decades of trying to get better makes me wonder if getting better is simply finding the right dose of the right stuff and staying on it forever...

Comment

Yeah, I sort of wonder if I am even capable of producing enough hormones. I have never been tested for anything and been anything but low. Decades of trying to get better makes me wonder if getting better is simply finding the right dose of the right stuff and staying on it forever...
                              Have you ever had your pregnenolone checked? It's a precursor for most hormones. ANd how is your cholesterol?

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                                Have you ever had your pregnenolone checked? It's a precursor for most hormones. ANd how is your cholesterol?
                                I think so but I'm not 100% sure. I have supplemented with pregnenolone in the past though but I stopped when a Dr. told me that it can be worse for some people to take that instead of the things they are actually low in because their messed up bodies can sometimes want to continue producing more of what it doesn't need and still too little of what they do need. For example it will possibly go to make too much estrogen in a person who is already estrogen dominant instead of making more progesterone.

I can't find my cholesterol results! I'm looking and will post when I find them Nothing was really bad, just not perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X