PaleoMom's Diet Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah yes.. the lovely thigh rub

Perfect - I'm back from the States in two weeks By then you'll have your tests, and you'll know if there's something you particularly need to focus on. A month is do-able, right? And if it doesn't work... we can always go back to doing what we've been doing
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Today is day 4 of the Fast Metabolism Diet. I have lost the pound I gain the first two days, I feel like shit and I can't see how anyone could stand this for a whole month!

I'm not following the menu plans, as they are unpalatable looking and very low calorie even though she talks a ton about this not being a low calorie diet. The first two days are all about high fruit and starches, low protein, no fat. The next two days (where i'm at now and what is making me feel so bad with no energy, big surprise) is high protein, very low carb and no fat. The next three days will be better, high fat, moderate carbs and protein.

So, what is a person suppose to eat that doens't have carbs or fat and is satisfying for two days????? I'm feeling weak and frustrated already, not sure I'll make the month.
      PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• I have no clue why that regimen would develop a fast metabolism.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post

I'm not following the menu plans, as they are unpalatable looking and very low calorie even though she talks a ton about this not being a low calorie diet. The first two days are all about high fruit and starches, low protein, no fat. The next two days (where i'm at now and what is making me feel so bad with no energy, big surprise) is high protein, very low carb and no fat. The next three days will be better, high fat, moderate carbs and protein.
          Hey Paleomom, That diet sounds horrible! I'll be interested to see how it works for those on MDA that are trying it.

I followed the eat a ton thread a while back. It was very inspiring to help me not to always try to starve myself. I'll have to read through your journal and see how things are going for you since your experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
            I have no clue why that regimen would develop a fast metabolism.
            You should write a book. You and Derp.

Comment

Today is day 4 of the Fast Metabolism Diet. I have lost the pound I gain the first two days, I feel like shit and I can't see how anyone could stand this for a whole month!

So, what is a person suppose to eat that doens't have carbs or fat and is satisfying for two days????? I'm feeling weak and frustrated already, not sure I'll make the month.
              I looked at that book on amazon when gopintos recommended it. The diet seemed to rely on a number of foods I can't eat. As you mentioned, reviews said it was very low calorie. Doesn't the book have menus and food lists?

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not too convinced myself. She somewhat talks me into it. I suppose what I'm hoping for the most is simply a way to lose a few pounds without damaging the metabolism.

Just like other reviewers I have to say there are many contradictions. She talks about how low calorie diets harm the metabolism, and how this one isn't low calorie, yet if you were to follow the menus she has it is very low cal. I'm not really doing that. I've been following the foods list for each phase but eating in my own quantities. The two days of high protein but low carb and low/no fat are grueling. I'm willing to give this a try to a certain extent but I'm not going to follow those menus. One reviewer calculated the calories of her menus and found them super low calories - I want to remember something like 650-900 calories a day?

I do feel like its horrible but these days I find any diet horrible, but even more horrible is this extra weight that won't move.

The idea is that phase one makes the body relax and feel safe with all the carbs, phase two unlocks that fat stores and phase three burns off the fat? The cycling prevents that negatives of long term us of that type of eating and keeps the body surprised. I think that is right, my memory is horrid these days. I just read the book and already can't remember the basic philosophy clearly!

She is not a fan of dairy and the best I could do to understand why was simply that she is lactose intolerant. I don't have a good reason to not eat my homemade ygghurt and kefir. Today I wasn't supposed to but had two bowls of my yogurt. I pushed aside the fat that had risen to the top since it is a no fat day. Totally cheating according to the book but it was that or dive into the fruit bowl.

Comment

• I forgot to add:

While I'm not sold yet on this diet, there are some signs that it really is activating my metabolism in the way it was when I first started eating a ton. I've been having multiple bm's a day and much less frequent urination and darker color yet I'm drinking more water. I've also slept extra sound the last few nights.

Comment

I forgot to add:

While I'm not sold yet on this diet, there are some signs that it really is activating my metabolism in the way it was when I first started eating a ton. I've been having multiple bm's a day and much less frequent urination and darker color yet I'm drinking more water. I've also slept extra sound the last few nights.
                    That sounds very promising! How's it going now?
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                      I did it for a week before giving up. I instantly felt myself becoming OCD over food and weight again and was completely miserable both mentally and physically. I didn't lose anything either. I won't say it couldn't have worked if I had kept going but I will say that I was unable to feel good and be mentally healthy while following it.

Tomorrow is my Dr. appt and I will get all my test results! I'll report afterwards, I can't wait to see what did or didn't show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        I did it for a week before giving up. I instantly felt myself becoming OCD over food and weight again and was completely miserable both mentally and physically. I didn't lose anything either. I won't say it couldn't have worked if I had kept going but I will say that I was unable to feel good and be mentally healthy while following it.

Tomorrow is my Dr. appt and I will get all my test results! I'll report afterwards, I can't wait to see what did or didn't show up.

Comment

• Test Results are in!

The short answer is that my DHEA is very low and supping that along with some adrenal support should bring up my testosterone and progesterone.

Also I'm not getting enough protein and my blood is slightly acidic.

My vit. D. was 41 so I'm going back to 4,000 iu (instead of 2,000) to bring up a bit higher.

estradiol 1.2 (1.3-3.3)

progesterone 10 ( 75-270 luteal) or (12-100 follicular) This one got messed up because my very regular cycle decided not to be now that I wanted to test something! The test was supposed to be day 20 of my cycle but I'm now 8 days late and probably didn't ovulate...

testosterone 22 (16-55) age dependent, I should be 31

DHEA 2.6 (2-23) age dependent, I should be 8

cortisol morning 7.1 (3.7-9.5)
                          noon 1.6 (1.2 - 3.0)
                          evening 0.9 (0.6-1.9)
                          night 0.3 (0.4-1.0)

free T4 1.5 (0.7-2.5)
                          free T3 2.6 (2.5-6.5)
                          TSH 0.8 (0.5-3.0)
                          TPO 27 (0-150)

That was all the saliva and blood spot testing. The other blood test was mostly normal so I won't post it all except for:

CO2 21 (22-31)
                          BUN 7 (8-25)

This is was he said pointed to slightly acidic blood and not eating enough protein lately. I have been hardly eating meat at all for the last 4 months, so this is no mystery. Any what? More veggies to drop the acidity?

I was tested for rheumatoid factor too and was negative. The joint pain and inflammation might be coming from the low dhea.

I can't find my old test scores but I've had the low dhea and cortisol and progesterone before, but the testosterone is new. My cortisol is so improved from my last test I almost can't believe it. My morning cortisol was a 1 last time and it slightly improved from there to the bedtime reading which was the only one to come into the low end of normal, everything else had been was below that. This time the morning was higher than average and the others just a bit below the average line. All the early bedtimes are paying off

So now I'm taking 15mg dhea, an herbal adrenal support, quercetin for inflammation (my allergies), a new magnesium and doubling my d3/k2 supp. plus the CLO as always. I'm also starting zeolite for heavy metals.

On a different note, I've been experimenting with 24 hr. grain fermentation and baking wheat bread and bisquits that supposedly are safe for even some celiacs. The bread is amazing and so far feels great even for my kids tummies. I sure never thought they could eat wheat again but things seem good so far and sandwiches make my life much easier!

Comment

• That's amazing that something conclusive came up! So what would the symptoms of love DHEA be?

I started this thread recently, might be some good info for you on it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87894.html

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Symptoms can be:
                              Extreme fatigue
                              Decrease in muscle mass
                              Decrease in bone density
                              Depression
                              Aching joints
                              Loss of libido
                              Lowered immunity
                              Belly fat
                              Inability to lose weight

I don't have depression, the lowered immunity is probably why I'm still experiencing seasonal allergies and inflammation. The bone density part has me worried, my mom has really bad bones already. When she was around 55 she had a bone scan and the Dr. said it was normal if she was 83! Yikes. I don't want to be like that. She eats really well too and lifts weights 3x a week.

Off to read that thread...

Comment

• It would be great if this explained your fatigue...

Keep us updated on how the treatment goes!

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X