No announcement yet.

What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G, I'm afraid I've somehow given you a very misleading impression of my garden!!!!!!! Yes I have a grapefruit tree (that's Oct-Nov covered for the fruitarian diet). And yes I have a feijoa tree also (that would be April or May). The remaining nine months I would be fasting, which is probably a little long, even for someone who's been primal since mid 2012.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Annie misleading or not, i think that you and your garden sound magical.
      I actually harvested our first lettuce - ever t'other day. I had to pull all the radishes thou. I have used a pig/chicken/sheep poo mixture as soil and it made the radish tops grow, with almost no radish underneath. That will learn me !!!!!!!!
      The spinach is ready to eat, the rhubarb is triffid like, and the beans are growing nicely!
      .........and now that the risk of frost is extremely low, i might plant the tomato plants into the garden too
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• .........and now that the risk of frost is extremely low
        the risk of horse is never extremely low around here so i cant really have any vege plants other than potatoes and garlic. and she still nails the potato tops every once in a blue moon.

wasn't it you A that got mistaken for your teenager? i was in bunnings yesterday exchanging one of my old gas bottles and i was waiting at the counter with my 12 yr old. this store woman came up behind us to see if she could help us and then almost passed out as she thought we were 2 young girls!! dd is always telling me she is almost as tall as me and i am always laughing at her. i did have my hair down. and i had on my daisies and my purple checked huffer hoody. no visible tattoos. but still. 2 funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
          Annie misleading or not, i think that you and your garden sound magical.
          I actually harvested our first lettuce - ever t'other day. I had to pull all the radishes thou. I have used a pig/chicken/sheep poo mixture as soil and it made the radish tops grow, with almost no radish underneath. That will learn me !!!!!!!!
          The spinach is ready to eat, the rhubarb is triffid like, and the beans are growing nicely!
          .........and now that the risk of frost is extremely low, i might plant the tomato plants into the garden too
          Hey G, I'm impressed! I have been giving away broccoli at every opportunity, cos really, we've had our fill and it just keeps sprouting! But half my bean seedlings shrivelled and my potatoes never got planted at all Seedling pumpkins have popped up of their own accord though - in the chicken area, but the chickens seem to be leaving them alone so I'll be happy if they thrive, pumpkin is one of my most used veges.

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
          the risk of horse is never extremely low around here so i cant really have any vege plants other than potatoes and garlic. and she still nails the potato tops every once in a blue moon.

wasn't it you A that got mistaken for your teenager? i was in bunnings yesterday exchanging one of my old gas bottles and i was waiting at the counter with my 12 yr old. this store woman came up behind us to see if she could help us and then almost passed out as she thought we were 2 young girls!! dd is always telling me she is almost as tall as me and i am always laughing at her. i did have my hair down. and i had on my daisies and my purple checked huffer hoody. no visible tattoos. but still. 2 funny.
          Seas, that is totally hilarious, and very nice for the ego.

I'm still figuring out what I want to wear. I'm way too conservative for the likes of short shorts, but I bought a summer dress the other day, and my sister saw me in the street and thought I was "some young thing". Which is kinda nice, but kinda weird too. Other comments received have ranged from "you look like an apricot", to "I liked what you wore last week", so I'm not sure if I'm onto a winner after all. It's comfy though, and that's always a high priority with me.

B: Two chocolate banana pancakes.
          L: Cabbage soup (actually the other night's lamb casserole minus the lamb. It looked weird but tasted good). Strawberries and camembert.
          D: Pizza toppings.
          Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• i have been accused of looking like an apricot tapa cloth before LOL clothing wise. poss i wear mostly low waisted jeans, long sleeved t-shirts and work boots. overall i have to be able to move and be comfortable. i also dont consider short shorts a matter of conservativeness. i think it all depends how you wear them. mine i always wear jandals or work boots with or vivos. and i guess even if you have a bikini top on too, it is still your intentions that count. i am usually just chilling in the sun or exercising. i get quite miffed if it is interpreted as an attempt to be sexual. sort of violates my right to free expression with clothing. and, funnily enuf, when i go out out, i usually cover from neck to ankle unless i have a minder.

i am not overly adventurous with colour. predominantly black, grey, the different shades of denim blues. my dress and hoody collection has the odd piece of colour eg the apricot tapa cloth number and the huffer purple check hoody ( which i dont wear at the same time! ) these days i struggle to find anything i like if i go into somewhere like glassons. long sleeved merino t-shirts and that is it! and i also find the cut of the clothes makes a huge diff. even with hoodys.

Comment

• Foodwise, today was primal at both ends with a blip in the middle.

B: Mushroom and silverbeet omelette with cumin feta.
              By lunchtime I was getting hungry and there was a food platter, so I grabbed a few nibbles of cheese and grapes, then progressed to marshmallows and chocolate cookie prior to going out to lunch with the ladies.
              L: Lamb doner kebab : spicy lamb on yellow rice with a yoghurt sauce. Small dollop of hummus. Pita bread (of which I ate a slice before sharing the rest. This was delicious but actually not quite enough food (!!!!!) so I ordered dessert which was six little pieces of Turkish delight and a dollop of cream. Saved half for later, and ate them after I walked home, carrying my backpack with a leg of lamb and three big potatoes.
              D: Roast lamb and potatoes - surprised? Also broccoli and a roast carrot. Unfortunately no time to make gravy because...

Spent the evening clambering on and off a truck and running up and down the streets with the children while they collected money for the brass band. It was a little nerve-wracking rattling round on the back, with responsibility for half a dozen of other people's children none of whom were buckled down. Thankfully that's my bit done, I enjoyed it but someone else can do it next time.
              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Annie went walking today. New tramping partner was half my age with twice my energy, I had to almost run to keep up lol. We blitzed the track time by a third

But there was still time to appreciate the birdsong rising up through the mist, as well as a variety of native plants - ferns just beginning to unfurl, clematis flowers in blossom, tiny native orchids that we would have missed had they not been pointed out by a more experienced tramper. Beautiful, as always.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Clematis:

Tiny native orchid (I think):

Leatherwood (so I'm told):

Fern:
                  Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• lovely pictures...

Comment

• ta
                      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• unless that isnt clematis paniculata, it is flowering very late? ours all has those beautiful spidery seed heads now as it finished flowering a while ago. usually sept it starts. leatherwood is a brachyglottis not an olearia? looking at the leaves and flowers here as we dont get it down here i dont think. orchids and ferns i can only ID the most obvious ones. and of course the one you can eat. piko piko which is yummy.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                          unless that isnt clematis paniculata, it is flowering very late? ours all has those beautiful spidery seed heads now as it finished flowering a while ago. usually sept it starts. leatherwood is a brachyglottis not an olearia? looking at the leaves and flowers here as we dont get it down here i dont think. orchids and ferns i can only ID the most obvious ones. and of course the one you can eat. piko piko which is yummy.
                          well it certainly looks like paniculata doesn't it? There wasn't heaps of it around, we (I mean my tramping partner) first noticed the fallen petals and couldn't figure out at first what they belonged to until we eventually saw a few beautiful sprays of the flowers. So maybe these are the last remaining blooms.

As for the "leatherwood" i think you may be right about it being a brachyglottis. I'm not at all sure, but I thought the flower buds were funky so I snapped them, though the Hebe society states they are "of no great beauty", haha

I think mine is probably Bracyglottis rotundifolia var. elaeagnifolia
                          Family: Asteraceae (Daisy family) Maximum height: 2.5 metres

Where found:

Taranaki/Mt Egmont sub alpine scrub
                          Between 1100 and 1400 metres above sea level in a broad shrub zone about 1km wide
                          - that's where we were alright.
                          Last edited by Annieh; 12-10-2013, 03:18 AM.
                          Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Walking has become my first choice mode of transport. Today I had to get to my daughter's school for assembly, so I simply walked there and back (about 40mins each way). Consequently, I didn't get much else done today. However, the garden will still be there tomorrow and the wisteria - which needs clipping AGAIN so we and our visitors will not keep getting whipped in the face - will only be a fraction longer than it was today.

A pupil gave me a box of chocolates. What to do, what to do?? Unfortunately I also discovered a packet of dried apricots in the pantry, heaven knows why I bought them. I guess they're primal but my self control evaporates on sight so I don't expect they will last long.

And...I've started practising for our Christmas feast
                            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Hey Annieh,
                              I know you like to try new meals and such - I just posted a recipe you might like in my journal. Check it out - maybe it's something you can make for your family to try out. Hope all is well and you are well on your way to being ready for the holidays!
                              Cheers!
                              “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                                Walking has become my first choice mode of transport. Today I had to get to my daughter's school for assembly, so I simply walked there and back (about 40mins each way). Consequently, I didn't get much else done today. However, the garden will still be there tomorrow and the wisteria - which needs clipping AGAIN so we and our visitors will not keep getting whipped in the face - will only be a fraction longer than it was today.

A pupil gave me a box of chocolates. What to do, what to do?? Unfortunately I also discovered a packet of dried apricots in the pantry, heaven knows why I bought them. I guess they're primal but my self control evaporates on sight so I don't expect they will last long.

And...I've started practising for our Christmas feast
                                Melt the chocolates and dip the apricots in the chocolate?

Beautiful pics. Your photos always make me smile.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X