No announcement yet.

What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the grapevine get enough sun? They are so picky about that. I guess I have garden envy since we are only making it up to 10 or 12 Celsius everyday and every night is below freezing. I only have a few carrots, turnips, Chinese cabbage left that are still alive. I just pulled some very sweet carrots today and that was fun. I really like the idea of having a productive garden - there is something so fun about being able to eat all kinds of stuff out of it. Every time I eat something from the gardens I am grateful that I have space to do so - the kids eat stuff from the garden that they won't touch when it is store bought. Enjoy it this year
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Today's hike was the most brilliant yet. There is a swamp high up on the mountain that I have looked over but not walked over before - and today I did! Two hours up to the first hut, another couple across the swamp, then another three or so to walk back to the visitor centre. The last half-hour we could hear thunder rolling in the clouds above the next ridge over, but we were still in hot sunshine until we reached the carpark when the rain finally came in force. Great timing, great day Feeling satisfied.

Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Oh, and cos this a primal journal, fodder for the trip:

I wondered if it was enough so I added a tangelo, but I still had some cheese and scroggin left over. Drank all my water though.
        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• I think you must live in a heaven on earth.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            I think you must live in a heaven on earth.
            I know I do, Joanie
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• that looks alot like parts of the silver peaks and swampy. do you ever check out the plants while you are tramping? i love to see what is growing where. the other issue i have with going on day trips is i feel so guilty if i cant take the dog and then he needs a walk as well. so i usually have to take him out before i go and then when i get home. and i sorta stuffed up and got a breed with high exercise requirements so i cant just walk him around the back yard for 5!

we do the primal cocoa balls ( effectively scroggin ground up into balls ) when we go tramping with boiled eggs, a flask of coffee, water ( we get it out the creeks ) and also apples or oranges. sometimes we just do beer and cake. or we just starve till we get home. i try not to carry too much so often if i am on my own, i take nothing at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                do you ever check out the plants while you are tramping? i love to see what is growing where.
                In the swamp there is a yellow bulb that will be flowering in another month, but meanwhile the mountain buttercup is already out:

I was also so busy checking out a hawk making big circles overhead that I almost tripped over until I decided it was better to stop and watch him, then concentrate on my feet We heard a bit of birdlife too, more than on other days so that was really nice. One may have been a bellbird, again I wish I knew more than I do.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                  In the swamp there is a yellow bulb that will be flowering in another month, but meanwhile the mountain buttercup is already out:

I was also so busy checking out a hawk making big circles overhead that I almost tripped over until I decided it was better to stop and watch him, then concentrate on my feet We heard a bit of birdlife too, more than on other days so that was really nice. One may have been a bellbird, again I wish I knew more than I do.
                  yeah, looking up watching a hawk and walking off a cliff is probably NOT a good idea...... I know, I know... I have a death grip on the obvious....

Comment

• i love all those little flowers. i am getting better with my birds too. it has taken years and i learnt it all in the bush so it is just a matter of remembering and looking on the net when you get home or going out with people who know. was it a hawk or a falcon? i hardly ever get to see karearea unless i am out hunting in the hills but we get hawks at home. the older they get, the whiter they get which is fascinating. we have some here that are almost snow white. the kids went to the island in the background in this pic a while back and they found a big pile of picked clean rabbit skeletons. the hawk must carry them over and eat them there. or the hawks must nest there
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psceb7f1d4.jpg

Comment

• Nice pic of horse and kids at the island, Seas. I love that your chn get to do so much nature exploration. My girl will take the opportunities when they arise, but I do need to create more of them for her. I have a nephew who is always out and about somewhere, his dream is to go bush alone.

Found this info: When flying the harrier Hawks tend to flap their wings, then glide before flapping again. The falcon is much faster and has a constant very rapid wing beat.

Along with the fact that the hawk is larger and much more common than the falcon, I would think I most likely saw a hawk. Next time I will know what to observe in order to be more sure e.g. a wide wingspan, fingered wings and a slightly rounded tail.
                      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Ourisia macrophylla is an herbaceous perennial, which forms rosettes of leaves. The green leaves are oval to circular, 1.6–4 in (4–10 cm) in diameter. The white flowers have a yellow tube; spring to summer. Found above the tree line on Taranaki (Mount Egmont), North Island, New Zealand. (Info from Hebe society)
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• it is unreal how we have flowers that are only found in certain places. we have a rock daisy that is only found down the road. it's not as pretty as the ourisia. karearea dont wheel around like hawks do i dont think. the ones i saw were flying straight and doing less gliding.

Comment

• Your photos are breathtaking and I wish I could go tramping around there too! Thanks for sharing those with us ... there is something so fun about being able to identify which birds and blooms you are looking at or hearing. I am still learning all the USA ones for where we live now. I am sure when I get back to South Africa for a visit I will be very rusty on all the names of birds etc. there!
                            Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                            Primal low: 186 lbs
                            Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                            Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Hi Annie,
                              Do you know this blog? Selvage Blog I thought it might speak to your love of quilting with scraps. I dip in and out every so often.
                              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                                Hi Annie,
                                Do you know this blog? Selvage Blog I thought it might speak to your love of quilting with scraps. I dip in and out every so often.
                                thanks, no I haven't looked at it before, It looks inspiring.
                                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Working...
                                X