• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seas, that is a freaky temp alright.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• it was a north wester so it started real cold. and then it got warmer and warmer. it is still warm now which is very rare. it usually chills down overnight which is another reason we struggle to grow certain things to eat here.

Comment

• Pouring rain today. Would be very primal to go out in it, but other than feeding the chooks I plan to stay in the cave.

Better get some primal food going, my 20% has been far too prominent lately.

Might (might) also have another go at those pilates videos, better act as soon as family leave the house cos husband will be back after short meeting and then my opportunity to do it in privacy will be past.
        Annie Ups the Ante
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• We have great tomatoes from the garden here - so lovely after spending a decade in Dunedin where we couldn't get anything to grow! My aunt lives in Auckland, above the treeline in the Waitakeres and she can't grow tomatoes there either, it just doesn't get warm enough.
          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• My aunt lives in Auckland, above the treeline in the Waitakeres and she can't grow tomatoes there either, it just doesn't get warm enough.
            during my decade in auckland, i had buckets of tomatoes. unreal it is too cold above the waitaks. i may try some cherry tomatoes this year as we had such a warm summer last year. i even got a volunteer buttercup pumpkin on my compost heap ripen.

Comment

• I have 2 big challenges here - apple cucumbers and watermelons. The cucs always rot before they flower, and the watermelon just doesn't develop decent fruit. Tony wants to give up, but I really want those two buggers to grow, lol
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Good luck with the Pilates Annie - you might have just motivated me to stay in the cave and do a few exersize so this morning!!!!!!
                I have heard about this ribbon that has seeds impregnated from mitre 10. I am thinking that this cheats way of planting and thinning carrots might be the way to go ?????????
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I have heard about this ribbon that has seeds impregnated from mitre 10. I am thinking that this cheats way of planting and thinning carrots might be the way to go ?????????
                  could you make your own with carrot seed and newspaper and wheat flour paste? i love home grown carrots but they wouldnt survive the bunnies or the horse here.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                    could you make your own with carrot seed and newspaper and wheat flour paste? i love home grown carrots but they wouldnt survive the bunnies or the horse here.
                    I will definitely look into it seas. I will price both lots, and yeah newspaper might work !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                      I will definitely look into it seas. I will price both lots, and yeah newspaper might work !!!!!!!
                      it does..... Toilet paper would work as well..... probably even better...

Comment

• Darling Doc - toilet paper...... Now there's a thought...... In some countries they would use the second hand stuff..............

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                          Darling Doc - toilet paper...... Now there's a thought...... In some countries they would use the second hand stuff..............
                          That way it's pre-fertilized.....

I don't use sed strips. I bought a seed planter a couple of years ago. I use it for just about everything. Even really small seeds like lettuce and cabbage etc.

Earthway Precision Garden Seeder

Comment

• That way it's pre-fertilized.....
                            i thought carrots didnt do well on too much nitrogen in the fertilizer? nifty looking gadget there doc. i have never seen one here.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                              i thought carrots didnt do well on too much nitrogen in the fertilizer? nifty looking gadget there doc. i have never seen one here.
                              They get "fuzzy" with lots of root hairs in a high nitrogen environment, but used TP would "compost" pretty quick...

That little gizmo make planting soooooo much faster.... I also use a string tied to 2 tent stakes to use as a guide to make straight rows....

Comment

• they must exist here. i would need to look into it. i'm still at the stage of having a big potato bed as nothing is fenced yet. i have an acre even so i could put some good vege beds in too. i just need to predator fence them. fat horses, rabbits and pukeko being the main issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X