What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post

I work much better in the mornings, haha. Peaceful house, clear head. Heat the milk, sterilise the jars, check temp in the slow cooker. Everything came together and the husband and daughter drenched their breakfast in it this morning so I call that a win.
    Congrats on your yogurt

If you have raw milk, couldn't you leave it out overnight and let it turn into yogurt without heating? When we had raw milk, I didn't need to heat it, it's naturally sour and yummy the next day.

By the way, I also like to do kitchen stuff in the early mornings before everyone wakes up. So peaceful...

Comment

• Thanks.

I haven't yet tried letting my raw milk go sour - though it's so cold here I think it would be unlikely to happen overnight.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
        Thanks.

I haven't yet tried letting my raw milk go sour - though it's so cold here I think it would be unlikely to happen overnight.
        Ah, that's right. Yes, our milk went sour overnight because it was hot and humid outside (high 20s celsius).

Comment

• Gorgeous pics. Terrain reminds me of Far North Queensland, though of course climate and vegetation quite different
          I don't mind driving, but don't love it. I pretty much have to drive to town - it's 40km away, no public transport. But around home we walk virtually everywhere. It's nicer, and easier to whack the toddler in the stroller than get her in and out of the car for a 2-min trip. I used to ride my bike everywhere, but since moving here and having the baby have swapped that for walking.
          Hurrah for the yoghurt! Glad they're enjoying it.

Comment

• Yes, all my tramping lately has been in the Egmont National Park ie in a ring around the mountain. We do have other tracks but my friends are not so interested in them, if I want to do them I will have to find someone else to go with But that's ok, we have not exhausted this area yet.

Kokowai means the red ochre colour that can stain the rocks in the river - despite walking alongside this river for 2 1/2 hours (uphill) this week, we did not see any red rocks, in fact we could barely see in front of our noses. It was admittedly beautiful but I still have to go back on a fine day, when everything is not shrouded in mist.

Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Lovely pics Annie - I can feel the peace of the place. I always get a thrill when I come over your way - something about the mountain and the sea close together. 'My' mountain (not nearly as big) was almost invisible this morning. The legend here is about fairies inhabiting it, and days like this I believe it.
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• That's a nice legend. Ours has it that if you can see the mountain clearly then it's going to rain. If you can't, then it IS raining.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• My favourite mountain mythology...
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Yet again, lovely pictures, Annie.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                    Strangely that's led me to finding an answer to what/where Tir na n-Og is, heard it in a song by The Saw Doctor's and always meant to look it up!

Comment

• Raining again here today. I'm so over it!! It's funny watching people in the other threads starting to complain of changing seasons towards autumn - we're getting daffodils and blossom coming out and it's really exciting.

Tir na n-Og is a key feature of the Kevin O'Hearn books about Atticus the druid. I love those books . Everywhere I turn at the moment I'm getting reminders about taking time out in the bush. And yet here I am, huddled inside with the heater on, marking essays!
                      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Yup. Pouring down in Auckland.

Annieh, beautiful pics. My family and I do bushwalks as well, but mainly in the summer.

Comment

• My sister and I catered a family function for 24 today. Most of my contributions were primal, in fact overall apart from a stack of bread rolls, and the red velvet anniversary cake, we had a pretty good spread of meat and vegetables if I do say so myself. But even I was surprised to get not just one, but two, requests for my Cheesy Leeks recipe. I mean to say, the name says it all, and who would have thought that it would be gobbled up at three times the rate of my honey buttered carrots with nutmeg (once again, creatively named from my ingredients list)? But just in case, and so I remember when stuck for a popular (lol) dish in future, I post it here:

Cheesy Leeks
                          Ingredients: Cheese, Leeks.
                          Method: Slice leeks and steam lightly. Grate cheese. Layer in a greased casserole dish (leeks, cheese, leeks, cheese etc).
                          If desired sprinkle a spoonful of LSA on top.
                          Bake: till warmed through and melty.
                          Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• I've never tried leeks...

And...sorry, what's LSA? My brain's not working very well right now.

T.

Comment

• Leeks are from the onion family, but much more mild. They can substitute for onions but can also double as a "green" cos the stalks are green - however I used mainly the white rings and some that were tending towards yellow/green for my dish since it was a special occasion and they look nicer. Have saved the greens for me to have during the week, and will throw them into everything.

Personally, I do like leeks but I was still surprised that they went down so well. It was a golden anniversary and I was surrounded by people a generation above me, in conversation I hear "we love our veges", "I grew sprouting broccoli last season", "my cauliflowers weigh over 2kg", "we didn't buy veges for 18 months" etc, so obviously it was a pro-vege-eating population

LSA is ground Linseed Sunflower and Almond, it comes in a package at the supermarket, I use it instead of breadcrumbs for crumbing or crisping something up. You can also use in baking instead of flour but very expensive for this purpose.
                              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Feeling a bit glum as getting feedback from my dh that indicates he's not entirely happy with the dietary changes I have made for us all. On the one hand he maintains he does like my cooking (how could he not, it's brilliant) but on the other he makes comments about favouring nutritional value over flavour which truly offend me because I sincerely feel that BOTH have improved out of sight in the past year.

He also laments the lack of bread, pasta, lasagne and the like. This I do understand because I know he did like those things and I seldom do them now, having lost the enjoyment of them myself.

He even identifies with poor old president Clinton whose chef deceived him into eating tofu, soy, rice and seaweed instead of butter and cream. This is so unfair. Actually in the past I did dilute the nutritional value of our food by spinning it out with rice and pasta and beans etc. I did this because it was CHEAP, but I also thought it was healthy. Now the budget is not quite so tight most of the time, and I no longer value those foods for their supposed healthful qualities, so I don't do that (except more rice and potatoes when everyone is home). Grrrrrrrr, just feeling trapped. I really don't want to cook this way again but I want to keep him happy. And I seriously do not believe he misses lentils...

On a brighter note, my dd (20) says I'm amazing, and that the consistent high quality of the new food more than makes up for the few old favourites that no longer appear. (She cooks for herself and flatmate but of course their options are very limited by budget and so she pretty much has to do what I used to).
                                Last edited by Annieh; 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM.
                                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Working...
                                X