X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That milk looks so awesome!
    I've never had milk with cream in it.

Comment

• Well, most milk has at least a little cream in it, but it's so well homogenised that it doesn't separate out. There are brands that you can buy that are not homogenised, but they don't have as much cream as this - they probably skim it off to sell separately as cream and butter.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Yeah, never had it where it actually separates.

Annieh, as another kiwi, do you know what our beef is like? I keep reading that NZ beef is mostly grass-fed. Do you know if this is true?

Comment

• How exciting re the milk! Can't say it looks delicious as I detest unflavoured milk, but am glad you are enjoying it. Both my DH and I grew up on farms and had raw milk as children - I avoided it but he says he loved beating the rest of the family to it and scooping all the cream onto his cornflakes every morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Traveller View Post
            Yeah, never had it where it actually separates.

Annieh, as another kiwi, do you know what our beef is like? I keep reading that NZ beef is mostly grass-fed. Do you know if this is true?
            Traveller, you can get Naturalea Organic Whole Milk at Countdown for about $3.50 a litre.

As for our beef, I'm pretty sure it is mostly grass fed, you see the cows out there eating grass all the time. I'm sure farmers supplement in winter with hay and silage and maize and certain imported feeds too, but I don't know much about it, I'm a real townie.

Originally posted by EmmaM View Post
            How exciting re the milk! Can't say it looks delicious as I detest unflavoured milk, but am glad you are enjoying it. Both my DH and I grew up on farms and had raw milk as children - I avoided it but he says he loved beating the rest of the family to it and scooping all the cream onto his cornflakes every morning.
            Emma I used to avoid milk as a child too, especially the cream and I was thrilled when homogenised milk finally made it to town. I was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't actually enjoy this milk but I sure did and am thinking of having it for breakfast instead of eggs. I still love eggs but then I could eat them for lunch

I wonder how many calories the milk has? I had one glass about 11am and was hardly hungry for lunch by 1.30.
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Ooh, we are getting towards the end of our freezer load of beef and I braved the fillet steak at last. It was absolutely awesome (if I say so myself ).

Having had - till now - minimal experience with cooking steak, and even less with cooking it well, I wanted to wait until I had the hang of it before tackling the fillet. Well, unusually enough for us, everyone was pretty much silent around the dinner table while they tucked in until my dh managed to get out that he thinks I do indeed "have the hang of it" They all thanked me more than once, it made me proud and happy.

We were so sated that we decided to take a break before dessert - fresh fruit salad and my homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt. Ok, so it wasn't my intention to make it pourable, but again it got the thumbs up from my dh who actually liked it better than the bought stuff!!! This is huge to me, I have become very reluctant to purchase his preferred sweetened low fat processed yoghurt, but he finds the greek way too tart, even mixed with jam. So I am delighted he liked this, now I just need to work on the texture.

B: Raw milk. Also before lunch, a hard boiled egg.
              L: Leek and mushroom omelette, small chunk of homemade queso fresco. A pear.
              S: Coconut chips, dark chocolate. A (too) sweet chocolate.
              D: Rare fillet steak, fried mushrooms, leeks and onions, oven roasted potatoes and carrots. Dessert was fresh fruit salad (pinapple, orange, golden kiwifruit), homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt, and a chocolate coated brazil nut (dd holiday craft activity with her granny).

Loving my food today.
              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                Ooh, we are getting towards the end of our freezer load of beef and I braved the fillet steak at last. It was absolutely awesome (if I say so myself ).

Having had - till now - minimal experience with cooking steak, and even less with cooking it well, I wanted to wait until I had the hang of it before tackling the fillet. Well, unusually enough for us, everyone was pretty much silent around the dinner table while they tucked in until my dh managed to get out that he thinks I do indeed "have the hang of it" They all thanked me more than once, it made me proud and happy.

We were so sated that we decided to take a break before dessert - fresh fruit salad and my homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt. Ok, so it wasn't my intention to make it pourable, but again it got the thumbs up from my dh who actually liked it better than the bought stuff!!! This is huge to me, I have become very reluctant to purchase his preferred sweetened low fat processed yoghurt, but he finds the greek way too tart, even mixed with jam. So I am delighted he liked this, now I just need to work on the texture.

B: Raw milk. Also before lunch, a hard boiled egg.
                L: Leek and mushroom omelette, small chunk of homemade queso fresco. A pear.
                S: Coconut chips, dark chocolate. A (too) sweet chocolate.
                D: Rare fillet steak, fried mushrooms, leeks and onions, oven roasted potatoes and carrots. Dessert was fresh fruit salad (pinapple, orange, golden kiwifruit), homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt, and a chocolate coated brazil nut (dd holiday craft activity with her granny).

Loving my food today.
                Congrats on the multitude of culinary wins! Sounds grand!

Comment

• Thanks doc. Yes, I'm quite excited today as you can tell.
                  Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Yum! I'd be loving that food too
                    For a long time my DH claimed he was the only one in the house who could properly cook steak, but lately has conceded I do a decent job of it too.

Comment

• As for our beef, I'm pretty sure it is mostly grass fed, you see the cows out there eating grass all the time. I'm sure farmers supplement in winter with hay and silage and maize and certain imported feeds too, but I don't know much about it, I'm a real townie.
                      hay and silage are just grass in disguise. i've not seen anyone feed out maize or anything imported around here. relatively common tho are fields of turnips or brassicas of some kind which cattle get strip grazed on during the winter. i've even seen deer being strip grazed on brassicas in central somewhere.

congrats on the milk Annie. I love raw milk. i can get it here but i have to truck about a 90k round trip and i cant justify it. otherwise my neighbours milk a house cow sometimes so i get it off them when they are milking. oh and i always eat the fillets first off a deer. those and the shanks and the liver and the heart. altho i have a scrap with the dog usually over the organs.

Comment

• Thanks seaweed, shows how much I know. But lots of maize does get grown though, so what's it for? I thought silage. Or does it get turned into cornflakes? haha.

My milk is about 20km away, so 40km round trip, although only 30km out of my way if I'm already in town. Trying to think of other messages to do out in that direction, or sharing transport with a neighbour. Meanwhile, we are ploughing through it, I think I will start gaining even more weight if I'm not careful. But it's the perfect breakfast or snack for my growing 12yo.
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• I tried the non-homegonised milk, and although it's probably nowhere as good as the stuff you get straight from the cow, I found it a lot richer, and creamier than 'normal' milk. I'll be using it a lot more often, thanks!!

Comment

• But lots of maize does get grown though, so what's it for? I thought silage. Or does it get turned into cornflakes? haha.
                            LOL no goes to show what i know!! Maize silage | DairyNZ i have always seen silage made from hay which is sorta fermented and it smells real strongly rank almost. they tend to do bailage around here which is bailed hay into big plastic rounds but it smells sweet. poss as we have no big dairy farms around here and all the farmers i know do beef cattle which will skew my view totally. bar one who grazes pregnant dairy cows over the winter and they get grass, bailage ( made of hay ) and they strip graze turnips or brassicas. the ones this winter come from down south and are jerseys. incredibly pretty cows. i have volunteered to milk any that have their calves early before they go home.

Comment

• I am so glad you are enjoying your raw milk - there is nothing like it! My kids have a glass at each meal every day - they LOVE it, always have. DS likes his warmed up so I just pour a little shot of water from the kettle to bring it to about body temperature and then he will suck it down at top speed I find that a glass of milk is so satisfying if I am feeling like I need a snack but don't want to eat anything.
                              Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                              Primal low: 186 lbs
                              Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                              Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I thought I'd gained weight but thankfully the scales say otherwise and I'm glad to note that my very bad pregnant-looking tummy bloat is gradually subsiding. It's been five days since I ate those fish and chips and I'm STILL constipated. Grr. that'll teach me. It's not as if I even enjoyed them that much. Certainly not as much as tonight's butter chicken

L: Quiche (pumpkin, leek, mushroom, cheese, eggs and milk). Banana with runny homemade strawberry yoghurt. Glass of raw milk
                                S: A pear. A thick slice of cheese. Several squares of dark chocolate.
                                D: Butter chicken (chicken, spices, yoghurt, butter, tomatoes, coconut cream).

The family also had dessert of fresh fruit salad with my homemade yoghurt. I'm rapt that they seem to like it even more than shop bought. This is a plus because it's both cheaper and (I believe) healthier and they do eat a lot of it.
                                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Working...
                                X