No announcement yet.

What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soapwatch update: It firmed enough to cut into bars and is now curing in my hot water cupboard.

Coll, I did consider melting it down and zizzing again with the blender but I am hoping that all it needs is a longer curing time. Good luck if you try it. I wanted a hobby that would be kind of cool and different so I hope it doesn't catch on too much in my neck of the woods.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• My next excitement: Raw Milk!

A farm within a manageable drive from here is starting to offer sales at the gate. I sense a general reluctance on the part of the family to drink unpasteurised milk, but I am very keen to try it. I would love to make cheese and yoghurt too if it is all not too expensive.

The main issue is transport, I will have to drive my dd and dh to work in order to have the car to make the journey and it's along way just for one purchase. I'll do it once and then will know whether I love it enough to make the trip worthwhile.
      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• We LOVE our raw milk. I buy a few gallons every week and my kids have only ever drunk raw milk, except for a short period of time when we moved and hadn't found a source for it. It is an essential part of our food budget ... it tastes so different and 'alive' if that makes any sense. Ice cold raw milk is a big treat in the summer (DH and I only have it once in a while as it is really pricey here due to the laws etc.) My guess is that once you try it you'll be spoiled for the other - we are! I'll be interested in what you think of it... Thinking homemade kefir and milkshakes etc. - yum!
        Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
        Primal low: 186 lbs
        Current weight: 221.4 lbs
        Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• They sell goats milk in the health food shop here and milk for bathing? I'm guessing that's raw but I don't think they can legally sell raw milk to drink.

Comment

• What I did today was built a worm farm.

That is to say I found a polystyrene box, put some compost, a few vege peelings and a few wriggly worms inside, and a towel on top, and put it outside my kitchen door.

My cunning plan is that the worms will eat the scraps that the fussy chickens don't like, multiply prolifically, and then I will feed them to the chickens who will convert their protein into eggs on a daily basis.
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
              What I did today was built a worm farm.

That is to say I found a polystyrene box, put some compost, a few vege peelings and a few wriggly worms inside, and a towel on top, and put it outside my kitchen door.

My cunning plan is that the worms will eat the scraps that the fussy chickens don't like, multiply prolifically, and then I will feed them to the chickens who will convert their protein into eggs on a daily basis.
              not to mention the worm poo for the garden!

Comment

• Yes. And I also need to find a container the right size to collect the wee.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Hi Annie! I have a book that you might like called The Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow. It's Aussie so the seasonal info is a little closer to home for you than UK/US books. Anyway, in it she explains a lot about worm farming and chooks in the garden - and how you can do the two together.
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Cool Annie!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                      Hi Annie! I have a book that you might like called The Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow. It's Aussie so the seasonal info is a little closer to home for you than UK/US books. Anyway, in it she explains a lot about worm farming and chooks in the garden - and how you can do the two together.
                      B, thanks so much for the recommendation. I see my library holds this book, I will request it

Originally posted by HelenLouise View Post
                      Cool Annie!!!
                      Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm. It's nice.
                      Last edited by Annieh; 07-20-2013, 01:33 PM.
                      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Confession time: Listing the non-primal foods I have been ingesting, for the sake of record.

Fish and chips, battered pineapple ring, tomato sauce, lemonade. Bread. Muesli. Rice. Chocolate chips straight from the packet, peanut butter, jam. Also have been eating more of snacks than meals - chocolate, cheese, raisins, nuts, and not enough of veges.

One thing that strikes me about this list - there's really nothing too terrible on it. It could almost be a standard eating plan. My how my standards have changed.

Secondly, Most of it I didn't even really enjoy - not in the way that I enjoy my delicious primal meals. I only used the bread to soak up the bacon drippings in the pan, and though I thought I would love it, I have lost the taste for it. So that's a good thing to discover.

Result - not disastrous really, but feeling less than my primal best. Bloated, blocked up and continually hungry. I don't like feeling this way and know that proper primal eating prevents it. So, back to basics today.
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Oh a hate the feeling that eating junk gives!!!!

Comment

• A primal food day.

L: Two eggs, two slices bacon, granny smith apple, 1/2 banana.
                            S: Two bowls smoky (ie burnt-to-the-bottom-of-the-pot flavoured) beef and vegetable soup.
                            D: Meat and lots of vegetables in the shape of Cottage Pie (Mince mix was onion, carrot, mince, herbs, tomato paste and peas. Topping was combined mash of potatoes, parsnip and pumpkin with sour cream and pepper. Grated cheese sprinkled over all. I baked it in the pan I had used for the bacon this morning, mmm that extra flavour from the bacon fat).
                            Dessert was a few slices of fresh pineapple.

I caught myself going to the pantry or fridge a few times out of habit, but I just reminded myself that it wasn't mealtime yet. I wasn't really hungry, I have just let myself get into a bad habit even through I know that I feel so much better on proper meals with larger intervals than when I graze.

No chocolate today, just to prove I can do it.

Shopping for my milk tomorrow. Excited.
                            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• No chocolate! Brave woman! Sometimes I have no-chocolate days but only when I don't have access to it so am forced to go without
                              Well done too on the consciously avoiding mindless eating.

Comment

• Thanks Emma. Another good day today. In fact, a great day! I bought my A+ farm fresh milk, met the farmer and saw his beautiful mixed breed cows in a distant field. Then I came home with my dd and we shared a cool drink, it was the best milk I ever tasted. And truly all I needed for an entire meal. Several bottles now sitting in the fridge, all with an amazing thick layer of rich cream rising to the top.

B: One glass raw milk!!!
                                L: Grilled bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese, fried apple slices.
                                S: Two squares chocolate and three almonds.
                                D: Baked chicken thigh with onion, carrot, potato, mango and steamed green beans. FULL UP.
                                Last edited by Annieh; 07-22-2013, 01:21 AM.
                                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Working...
                                X