No announcement yet.

What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey G! Great to hear from you. My brother in law made hard cheese, he gave me a chunk for my birthday and it was fantastic. I think he taught himself, but I would definitely go to a class if he ran one.

Hope you trip continues brilliantly and best wishes for safe journey home.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by EmmaM View Post
      Wow, impressive! Am sure it will get better with practise. What do you eat it with?
      I topped a rice cracker with one slice of cucumber, one of salami and a piece of the cheese. It was a good combo, mainly because of the salami though. Any other ideas would be welcomed
      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• I didn't know rice crackers were primal. I miss Vegemite on rice crackers.

Comment

• When my grandmother first moved to Florida, she had a hard time finding ricotta cheese (many many years ago). What she did was to take cottage cheese and remove any whey, then put it in a blender with salt. I think you have to salt cheese quite a bit to get a decent taste. Once you have ricotta, the possibilities are endless.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by HelenLouise View Post
            I didn't know rice crackers were primal. I miss Vegemite on rice crackers.
            Rice crackers aren't really primal, they are a borderline item in my pantry that I let my family eat and occasionally have a few though I've really gone off them and would usually just use a slice of cucumber as a cracker instead.

Vegemite's not really primal either. I do love Marmite though and allow myself some in my 20%. I spread it straight onto a slice of cheese, no cracker necessary.
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              When my grandmother first moved to Florida, she had a hard time finding ricotta cheese (many many years ago). What she did was to take cottage cheese and remove any whey, then put it in a blender with salt. I think you have to salt cheese quite a bit to get a decent taste. Once you have ricotta, the possibilities are endless.
              Sorry I must have no imagination today. Can you suggest a few of those endless possibilities. Pretty please.
              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Today I ate brownie for breakfast. My first paleo brownie. That I found on this page here: http://www.preppypaleo.com/2011/09/f...wnies.html?m=1, thanks to Ryan who kindly posted it in the pumpkin thread.

Since I had just 300g of cooked pumpkin on hand, and bearing in mind the comments about it being smushy, I tinkered with the recipe and came up with this.

300g cooked pumpkin
                1T honey
                2 eggs
                2T cocoa
                1t vanilla essence (approx)
                pinch salt
                1/4 cup fine coconut
                2 squares dark choc, chopped into bits

Combine the lot and bake in a small greased tin till cooked through. I managed to eat half, and I am so full now. This is odd, since it's now 1pm and I would normally eat two eggs and some cooked pumpkin for breakfast easily.

This is the best baking I've done since going primal. I would still change it next time though - probably at least double the honey, the original recipe called for 1/2C which I knew would be too much but I went too far the other way, even for me. I'd used sweetened chocolate chips too, if I were making it for other people. Also, I might try some baking powder (is baking powder primal?) or baking soda and see if that makes it even lighter.

I can see this has potential as a family dessert or weekend lunch, potluck contribution and - depending how it handles once cooled - maybe even a lunchbox filler. Here's hoping.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                  Sorry I must have no imagination today. Can you suggest a few of those endless possibilities. Pretty please.
                  Sorry about that.

Here are some:

Fresh Ricotta Ice Cream recipe from Food52
                  Squash Blossoms with Pimento Ricotta

Put it into scrambled eggs.
                  Stir eggs into it with a little sweetener and bake like a custard.
                  Almost anything you might cook with tomato sauce will get mellow if you stir some ricotta into the sauce.

I never thought of this, but it looks awesome (the grownup version): Roast Chicken Two Ways

If you make your own pesto sauce, substitute ricotta for the olive oil and make creamy pesto. (You might still need a little oil if the ricotta is very dry.)

I do something like this that I think of as lasagna without the noodles (I put some cubed mozzarella in mine): A Very Easy Baked Ricotta Pie

And of course, the reason why a quart of ricotta has a 24 hour shelf life in my home: eat it off a spoon!
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Sorry about that.

Here are some:

Fresh Ricotta Ice Cream recipe from Food52
                    Squash Blossoms with Pimento Ricotta

Put it into scrambled eggs.
                    Stir eggs into it with a little sweetener and bake like a custard.
                    Almost anything you might cook with tomato sauce will get mellow if you stir some ricotta into the sauce.

I never thought of this, but it looks awesome (the grownup version): Roast Chicken Two Ways

If you make your own pesto sauce, substitute ricotta for the olive oil and make creamy pesto. (You might still need a little oil if the ricotta is very dry.)

I do something like this that I think of as lasagna without the noodles (I put some cubed mozzarella in mine): A Very Easy Baked Ricotta Pie

And of course, the reason why a quart of ricotta has a 24 hour shelf life in my home: eat it off a spoon!
                    Thankyou for these Joanie, indeed I would not have thought of any of them. The roast chicken appeals - but I can't help wondering why anyone would roast 2 1/2 chickens. If two were not enough, wouldn't you just do three??
                    Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Today Annie went tramping in the rain again, and coming home there was the most beautiful rainbow right over my house. I certainly feel as rich as if I had a pot of gold - feeling the warmth come back into my fingers, enjoying a cup of tea and waiting for a batch of flourless cheesy bread to bake.

Last edited by Annieh; 06-17-2013, 08:25 PM.
                      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• You're so fortunate to have that beautiful scenery near your home! Just gorgeous. I love all the mist and overcast - makes the colors so deep and true.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• What a gorgeous place. Almost beautiful enough to distract me from cheesy bread

Comment

You're so fortunate to have that beautiful scenery near your home! Just gorgeous. I love all the mist and overcast - makes the colors so deep and true.
                            Originally posted by EmmaM View Post
                            What a gorgeous place. Almost beautiful enough to distract me from cheesy bread
                            Yes, I'm blessed indeed. Cheesy bread was much better done direct on the pizza stone, I ate half the batch.

B: Banana and a few peanuts. Early start so it was grab and go this morning.
                            L: Two boiled eggs, chunk of homemade white cheese, an apple, a lemon and apricot truffle ball, some almonds and dark chocolate.
                            S: Three wedges of cheesy bread ie half the batch = 3/4C cheese! And three cups of tea to wash it down.
                            D: Ovenbaked chicken thighs with paprika, allspice and root veges - kumara, parsnip, carrot and onion. Super greasy.
                            S: Another apricot truffle ball (not that I was hungry but dh was passing them around).
                            Last edited by Annieh; 06-18-2013, 02:45 AM.
                            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Tonight's dinner was awesome.

Rump steak, cooked perfectly according to my family (though I might do it a smidgen less next time). Broccoli and mashed potatoes/carrots with cream.

Pumpkin brownie, also met my family's approval. Yay, my first real success at a primal dessert. I cooked it this afternoon, reheated in the microwave and served with whipped cream.

Everyone came back for seconds, so I know I did it right. My first effort a couple of days ago was ok, but I was forbidden to call it Brownie. This one actually was like brownie, according to my dd and she should know (I've never really had it, so I wasn't sure myself).
                              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Pumpkin brownie hey? Any chance you'll share the recipe?

Comment

Working...
                                X