What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three-egg days are fantastic!
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      Three-egg days are fantastic!
      I suppose the novelty may wear off, but for now it's pretty exciting

That probably shows there's not a lot of excitement in my life.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Ooohhh I also wish to foray into paleo baking. My daughters bday is coming up so I want to make a healthy ish cake.

Comment

• May have to try those muffins. Am a bit over eggs for breakfast at the moment. And having something sitting in the fridge ready for me would be great!

Comment

• I made those muffins again today with addition of cinnamon and lemon juice instead of the vinegar they were slightly better, but still we all agree they are not really like muffins. My dh would rather eat a real muffin and my dd would rather have egg. I was mighty hungry though and thought they went jolly well with crispy bacon.

B: Cup of tea.
            L: Lemon and coconut cinnamon muffin, two slices grilled bacon and mushrooms, sliced cucumber and cheese.
            S: Sponge cake (failure) with my mum's guava jelly and whipped cream.
            D: Savory beef mince and veges (leek, carrot, mushroom), pumpkin mash with sour cream and nutmeg, fresh chopped parsley.

This afternoon's baking was supposed to be a cream sponge, but after it rose impressively then dropped it came out like a stodgy pancake. Dd said it was still a great vehicle for cream and jam, lol. I would like to try again but don't really want to waste eggs while I practice. It's not completely primal but is still gluten free being made with cornflour so I could feel happy in feeding it to my family and justified in having a small helping myself. But not worth it unless I can conquer the rising and keep it light.

I hate to admit this, but I am finding my beef mince a little strong in flavour and chewy in texture. Loving all the other cuts, but I need to change something about the way I prepare the mince if I'm going to fully enjoy it.
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• i made a sponge cake for my oldest's b'day the other day which i ended up making GF and it worked really well. i was surprised. i was just gonna make it with wheat flour and make my younger kids some GF cookies but they were all horrified so i got sucked into having to do it. the trick to decent sponge cakes is having the eggs room temperature and the bowl you beat them in warm. so put the eggs in the bowl in warm water for about 10 mins in their shells. we're talking warm water out of the tap not hot enough to start cooking them. then take them out and dry the bowl so it is still warm. i used this recipe as it was the closest i could find to how i know how to make a sponge cake
              Hot Milk Sponge Cake, How To Make Hot Milk Sponge Cake, Sponge Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes
              for the flour, i used 1.5c rice flour and 0.5c tapioca. all perfectly paleo lol

Comment

• Excellent link thanks Seaweed with instructions that clearly tell me what to do. A lot of sugar in that cake though! Definitely just a treat thing.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• i think i poss used only 1 c? i cant remember. the other day i was baking a cake for someone i know. a banana cake as i wanted to use the wheat flour which i didnt use for the sponge cake. i put 2 tbsp of golden syrup in the banana cake and forgot to put the sugar in. apparently it was very nice so that is worth remembering.

Comment

• Yes, I usually halve the sugar in baking too. I agree banana cake would be plenty sweet enough with banana and golden syrup only. Losing the sugar does sometimes change the outcome in terms of texture as well eg cookies don't spread and can be crumbly instead of crispy. My trouble is, I haven't actually baked at all for ages and I am losing my skills. I'm good at meat and veges and truffle balls tho.
                    Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• gluten free cakes are always different to cakes made with wheat flour anyways and i find they are always better fresh. i am going to try leaving all the cake mix to soak overnight before i bake it next time. whenever that will be! AND i remembered, while i was at the hairdresser last, i found a recipe for an italian chocolate chestnut cake which was gluten free and used honey instead of sugar. it was a "proper" cake not some faleo cake. i have some chestnut puree so i was thinking of giving it a go at some stage. i can get the ingredients listing off my cell phone if you would like?

Comment

• First of all, what I didn't do today was eat breakfast. Also I didn't get hungry - or at least not hungry enough to notice - till 1pm. Then I cooked up a big brunch stack: pumpkin and egg pancake, mushrooms, silverbeet and a piece of hoki with tandoori spices. It was A. Maze. Ing. Cafe style food for less than price of a pie. I finished off with a few grapes and pieces of dark chocolate.

What I did do was plant a dozen red cabbages and about two dozen onions. That sounds like way too many cabbages and not enough onions (since I can easily use one a day). But it's a start and I sincerely hope the chooks don't get them.

I kind of shamed myself into the gardening spree because I actually bought silverbeet today. This is shocking, no way should I - feeble gardener though I may be - have to part with my dh's hard-earned cash to purchase silverbeet. Or even pumpkin. Both grow sooooooooo easily here there is simply no excuse. I do in fact have a few silverbeet plants in, but they are not quite ready and I have been missing it, even though I have been enjoying the leeks.

Chickens have produced 42 eggs in 23 days, or average of 1.8 per day.
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                          First of all, what I didn't do today was eat breakfast. Also I didn't get hungry - or at least not hungry enough to notice - till 1pm. Then I cooked up a big brunch stack: pumpkin and egg pancake, mushrooms, silverbeet and a piece of hoki with tandoori spices. It was A. Maze. Ing. Cafe style food for less than price of a pie. I finished off with a few grapes and pieces of dark chocolate.

What I did do was plant a dozen red cabbages and about two dozen onions. That sounds like way too many cabbages and not enough onions (since I can easily use one a day). But it's a start and I sincerely hope the chooks don't get them.

I kind of shamed myself into the gardening spree because I actually bought silverbeet today. This is shocking, no way should I - feeble gardener though I may be - have to part with my dh's hard-earned cash to purchase silverbeet. Or even pumpkin. Both grow sooooooooo easily here there is simply no excuse. I do in fact have a few silverbeet plants in, but they are not quite ready and I have been missing it, even though I have been enjoying the leeks.

Chickens have produced 42 eggs in 23 days, or average of 1.8 per day.
                          A dozen red cabbage may be plenty, depending on what you use them for. We usually only use them in salads, so a head lasts a while. If you only eat 1 head per week, that is 12 weeks worth of cabbage once they are mature. They are cold hardy, and can tolerate light frost, so you can leave them in the garden all winter.

Comment

• Thanks Doc, yes that's what I figured. One head a week would be ample if they last in the garden that long. I don't mind red cabbage but if they all mature at once I'll be snowed under. I like them in warm meat dishes eg with lamb chops or pork chops.
                            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                              Thanks Doc, yes that's what I figured. One head a week would be ample if they last in the garden that long. I don't mind red cabbage but if they all mature at once I'll be snowed under. I like them in warm meat dishes eg with lamb chops or pork chops.
                              Thats the neat thing about winter gardens.. is that everything grows sooooooo slow, that once they "mature" they grow slowly enough in winter that they won't get "over ripe"..... AND you don't have to worry about all the nasty bugs that infest cabbages in the warmer tiems of the year...

Comment

• Thanks for the encouragement. Well, they're in now and all I have to do is wait.

I might put some garlic in next, last year I grew elephant garlic, it was very easy and successful.
                                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Working...
                                X