No announcement yet.

What Annie did next.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did today was bring home my three chickens!!!!! It is very exciting. They seem very happy in their new home aka my overgrown back yard. They wasted no time in starting in on the weeding and fertilising, then when darkness came they put themselves to bed in their new coop built by my very dh. We made it cosy with hay and hoping for eggs in the morning.

The weather was very wet today so I stayed home and made what was going to be leek and potato soup but the beef stock boiled down over the course of the morning till I had a rich stew. That was lunch, and delicious it was, too.

Dinner was f&c, I picked off the batter again, the chooks can have it for breakfast.

My meat is at the butcher getting processed right now, something else to look forward to in the next week.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Hiya Annie - how exciting about the wee chickens. They are the most delightful wee creatures. We have had many pet chooks over the years and enjoyed all of them........... well done on the coop - these DHs are good for a few things eh!!!!!!!!
      LOL
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Cool on the chickens, Annie. Leek and potato stew sounds fantastic.

Waving to Gwamma.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
          Hiya Annie - how exciting about the wee chickens. They are the most delightful wee creatures. We have had many pet chooks over the years and enjoyed all of them........... well done on the coop - these DHs are good for a few things eh!!!!!!!!
          LOL
          Gwamma, you are supposed to be on holiday, not thinking about chooks on the other side of the world. But thanks anyway
          Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          Cool on the chickens, Annie. Leek and potato stew sounds fantastic.

Waving to Gwamma.
          Thanks Joanie. Yes, they are good girls already, three eggs today!! Woohoo for chickens. They didn't miss a beat.

Today I was given four chokos. For those who don't know what they are, well sorry but I don't either. They grow on a vine, about the size of a mango but with green and grooved skin and very sharp prickles. Sorry, that is not a very enticing description. The flesh is pale like a melon or inside of an apple.

The fruit is very very very bland, ie it tastes of nothing. The advantage of this is you can use it with anything and it will take on the flavour. So I roasted one with some kumara and it tasted fine with that. I stewed another with some feijoas and haven't tasted it yet but it looks fine. The third I grated into a spicy beef and cabbage stirfry and no one noticed it. A very versatile food, that I think I prefer to zucchini, being less watery.

Also today I made a batch of primal truffles for my dd birthday, some honey and date muesli for my dh and stewed up yet another batch of feijoas, hopefully the last for the season, they are getting tinier and tinier.

B: Two fried eggs.
          L: Cinnamon flavoured roast kumara and choko
          D: Stirfry beef with leeks, ginger, garlic, chilli, cabbage, choko, parsley, peanut butter and coconut cream.

Snacks as usual of dried apricots and dark chocolate.
          Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Today was another tramp in the bush, quite cool and damp today, no views but that lovely isolating feeling of being encased in mist and cloud. Good weather for fungi.

And three more eggs, so woohoo.
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• hi annie! i so would love to have gone tramping in the bush today. i am working full time so i have to squeeze an 8 hr day in every day whilst looking after the kids so i am down to the sub 1 hr speedy walk around the block. it was nice with the coolness and damp today. i always appreciate the different weather. and when it is like this all the bush gets so much greener and more vivid. way to go on the eggs too. what breed are the chooks?

Comment

• I think they are just red shavers, very ordinary looking chooks bred for laying. Even though two years is supposedly past their prime they are doing well for me so far.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• i am not sure how long they continue to lay. have they moulted yet this year? i always kept old breeds. i would like some more and i do get tempted frequently. my indian runner ducks were my favourite. and i liked my araucanas who lay blue eggs.

Comment

• Yes I think they have had their moult already, so even though the days are still getting shorter, they have come back into lay. They missed one day and laid again today, so we will see how they get on.

I have not yet been tempted to branch out into different breeds, but never say never.

Those blue eggs are cool.
                    Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                      Yes I think they have had their moult already, so even though the days are still getting shorter, they have come back into lay. They missed one day and laid again today, so we will see how they get on.

I have not yet been tempted to branch out into different breeds, but never say never.

Those blue eggs are cool.
                      Some breeds will lay throughout the winter... I have a small free-range operation and I have collected eggs all through winter for the last 3 years.

Comment

• That's interesting, doc. How many birds and how many eggs? Do you have different breeds of chickens too. And do you keep the eggs for your own use or sell them??
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

That's interesting, doc. How many birds and how many eggs? Do you have different breeds of chickens too. And do you keep the eggs for your own use or sell them??
                          I currently have about 60 birds, several different breeds, and I typically get 3 to 4 dozen eggs per day. They get a commercial bagged feed and they have free run of a 5 acre field. I sell the eggs to several customers and a local small resturant.

Comment

• mm, so there are always some freeloaders but if you have more than enough birds you can get as many eggs as you need.

Lucky chooks to have a five-acre field
                            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

mm, so there are always some freeloaders but if you have more than enough birds you can get as many eggs as you need.

Lucky chooks to have a five-acre field
                              oh I NEVER run out of eggs..... lol Yeah the birds are on a 25 or 26 hour laying cycle. They lay an egg an hour or two later every day, and on the 3rd or 4th day the skip a day, so there are always birds that will be non-layers on any given day of the week.

Comment

• do you have lights in their coop doc? when i had chooks, i would get some of this years pullets start laying before midwinter and keep laying thru.

Comment

Working...
                                X