Itchy Feet : Scratch Walks Across

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just over a month to go

I am dealing pretty well with getting all my preparations in order, I've just got a couple of money things to work out, but nonetheless have had some anxiety the last week. It's been mostly short-lived episodes of physical symptoms (chest pain and hyperventilation, nausea), and I've been using positive self-talk to bring myself back to level. I'm feeling good about how I'm coping.

I talked to my mum about it, and she said that it was normal, that I've been living a subtle life for the last five years and I'm not used to feeling excited like this.

Everyone keeps telling me to breathe deeply. I breathe deeply. I'm glad I have the tools I need to feel anxious without falling apart.

One thing I haven't mentioned before, that is contributing in large part to the anxiety I feel, is that I am in a relationship that is ending. I've never had a real break-up before, and I guess I am lucky because it's a "civilized" break-up. There's no question that we'll be friends. But I've been in this relationship since I was 19, almost my entire adult life, and so at the end of this month I am going to be a single woman for the first time. Also terrifying.
    My Walk From West Coast to East Coast

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81011.html

Comment

What an amazing journey it will be, I am following your preparations with interest. I am sorry about your relationship, that is not a small thing, so it is no wonder you are anxious. Best wishes.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Shoes and stuff.

So for the last couple of years, I've mostly been wearing aqua socks: they've got little to no heel drop and they are very lightweight and comfortable. I also never get sore feet or a sore back since I switched. I bought a new pair of aqua socks for my walk, and also a pair of regular sandals for backup.

image.jpg

I bought my camp stove today, too, a tiny light solid-fuel one. I remember using these when I was a kid.

image.jpg

I am excited, I have less than 3 weeks until I leave town, I bought my bus ticket to San Francisco ($107 from Vancouver to SF!). I am going to buy some raw milk while I'm there, just to try it.

I am going to practice rehydrating my dried cooked bison, I will report on how it goes. Here's what 5lbs of meat looks like dehydrated:

image.jpg

Comment

you get 100 grams for every pound then by the looks of it eh? That looks like it would go well over a salad or mixed with avocado in it's dehydrated state!
          SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
          Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
          Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
          Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
          Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
          Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

How comfy are those shoes? I'm just wondering if they'd make a decent replacement for minimalist shoes for every day use
            Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
            Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension

Comment

Originally posted by ecks View Post
              How comfy are those shoes? I'm just wondering if they'd make a decent replacement for minimalist shoes for every day use
              I ended up not taking the aqua socks. They are comfy enough for light activity, but they made my feet sweaty pretty quickly.

Comment

On the road!

Obviously, I didn't blog anything further about my preparations, and that's because they weren't very interesting. I decided to abandon this journal until I was actually on the road, WHICH I AM! Literally, actually, I'm on a Greyhound bus as I write.

I left Vancouver yesterday afternoon, and my first incident happened at customs. I guess I seemed nervous, plus I probably said too much ("yes, I quit my job 3 weeks ago, no I don't have a return ticket, yes, I'm going to San Francisco to meet this guy from Australia, whom I have never seen in person before..."), so the woman interviewing me asked me tons of questions, but ultimately believed that I wasn't a drug smuggler or a terrorist, and on I went.

In Seattle, I missed my connecting bus because they were making the loading last call as I was exiting the previous bus and so I didn't hear it. I had a moment of panic, as I'm prone to do, but fortunately I was blessed with the presence of a lovely gentleman named Sean, who also missed the bus and who reminded me it was ok, and we got our tickets reissued for later that night.

My original route was directly south from Vancouver to San Francisco, but my new route goes through Idaho, Utah and Nevada before heading west again to California. We are driving through Idaho now, and it is so pretty and green! I saw a pasture with a few dozen sheep, all black, except for one white one.

I packed half a pound of cold roast beef and half a pound of smoked salmon, but I have had absolutely no appetite, and they are still sitting in my bag. I'm not sure if that's because of nerves, or because of sitting still for so many hours, but for now I am just going to listen to my body, stay hydrated, and wait for my appetite to return.
                image.jpg

Comment

Trip update?

Comment

I was so excited to read about your journey. Hoping you are okay. I just noticed that the last entry was way back in May. I agree with Ecks-trip update?
                    Female back to the basics: 11-12-16
                    CW: 10-11-16: 144
                    GW: 130 a dream, I know
                    Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X