Primal Journal ~Traveller~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Traveller View Post
    Breakfast: chia gel (made with 2 tbsp of seeds and whole milk), with 2/3 cup of blueberries and 1/5 cup of pumpkin seeds. It all mixes together really nicely. Oh, plus a cup of chai tea with ground ginger.
    Okay... So I've never used chia seed, but I'm curious. What's it like? I'm gonna head in to town this week and see if my health food store has any. I've been looking at all the health benefits of it online and so it's worth a shot.

Got any advice on what to look for when purchasing it?

Emily
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Hi Emily!

Hmmm. How to describe chia seeds....

Well, they're great for energy. I mean really great. 2 tablespoons of the stuff sees me through two hours of martial arts training, easily. They've got next to no taste (just mildly nutty) so you can mix them into just about any dish.
      So, yeah. In case you hadn't already realised, I really like them!

As to what to look for, I think they're pretty much all the same. Some say that the white ones are better for fat-loss, and the black ones have more antioxidants, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Just a word of warning: when you start eating them, start off with just a tablespoon per day. Some people can eat up to 4 or 5 spoonfuls with no problems; but there are others (like me) who find that more then 2-3 a day sends them running for the bathroom every hour or so. Not diarrehea, it just seems to really clean you out. I'm still experimenting with it, but I find about 2 (table)spoons a day works for me.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• Well, today was a bit of a downer. It was just...bad.

Woke up with two new pimples. One of them's not so bad, but the other...
        I know I shouldn't be expecting improvements, or any sort of results after using the black soap for a grand total of 2 days, but...it was still depressing.

To hide the acne, which is mostly on my forehead I've taken to shoving a cap on my head. It shades my face, so it's not so prominent. However, hats aren't allowed in training.
        I spent the whole day umming and ahhing over whether or not I should go tonight. I just hate showing my face to people I admire and genuinely like.
        I finally decided to go, but I just wanted to sink through the floor when I took it off.

I've got training tomorrow as well, but it's informal so I can wear the darn thing.

Anyway, in other news: I ate some sugar. Told you this was a bad day.
        I had a couple of pieces of a caramel slice. Probably about 3 in total.

Tomorrow I intend to:
        Be happy,
        Not look in the mirror unless forced to on pain of death,
        Resist the sugar.

T.

Comment

• I performed miserably at training this morning. Although she didn't say so, I know Sensei was disappointed.
          There are certain aspects in karate that I fail terribly at, and I'm constantly comparing myself to the higher grades; one in particular. I strive really hard to be as good as this person, and sometimes I think I'm close, but then something happens that reminds me that I'm not as good, and might never be.

>shrugs<

T.

Comment

• So, I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, (gasp!) and...I think my acne's going down?
            It's frustrating because I can't tell for sure, but the really big ones have gone down, and the most recent one has dried up. Also, I had a really big one forming on my chin; it was at the painful stage right before it bursts forth in all it's glory. Well, It's gone! Just...not there any more.
            I'm hesitant to get excited, because it might just be the 'calm before the storm'.

Anyway, my sister started vomiting late last night, and she's still going strong this morning, so I decided this would be the perfect time to fast. It's been a couple of weeks since the rather disastrous 4.5 day fast, and I think I can safely start fasting again.
            I plan to go to either tomorrow morning, or tomorrow night.

Comment

• Wow 4.5 day fast! I can't image that!
              Got my fingers crossed that the soap is doing the trick for you!!!

Em
              "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• My god, a four-day fast! That is incredible.
                Good luck with the current one. And the pimples. Hateful things, and always appear at the most I opportune times

Comment

• Yeah, I wanted to go a week, but just couldn't do it.
                  I was pretty proud of myself for going that long, but I deflated pretty fast when I found out that Sensei once fasted for a month.
                  I broke my fast last night. A very short fast, just didn't feel like going any longer. >shrugs<

Anyway, no new breakouts this morning; I've got this weird bump-thing on my top lip. It's not a pimple, or a blister. It doesn't hurt. I've no idea what it is, but it's rather annoying.

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs. 1 cup of tea with 1/2 tsp of honey and whole milk (love this stuff).

The car is...indisposed, so I've got a bit of walking to do this morning.

T.

Comment

• Training tonight was great. Tonight was really focused on speed, which made it really fun! I was actually hungry afterwards! (That never happens)

Dinner: 150g of broccoli, 1 thick slice of bacon (a treat), and 50g of herring (which I really like, not sure why). Plus some dark chocolate (85%).

Total cals = 800.

What on earth?! I have no idea what my 'ideal' calorie intake is, but I don't think it's that low. But I'm not hungry, so...>shrugs< (doing a lot of shrugging lately. )

Cheats: I had a line or two of milk chocolate. Too be honest, I'm just not enjoying it as much as I used to. I don't go mad with cravings when I eat it. And the sugar content!! I mean, wow.

T.

Comment

• Originally posted by Traveller View Post

Total cals = 800.

What on earth?! I have no idea what my 'ideal' calorie intake is, but I don't think it's that low. But I'm not hungry, so...>shrugs< (doing a lot of shrugging lately. )

Cheats: I had a line or two of milk chocolate. Too be honest, I'm just not enjoying it as much as I used to. I don't go mad with cravings when I eat it. And the sugar content!! I mean, wow.

T.
                      Wow, don't think I could do 800 cals. Especially after a fast! I don't monitor but think I easily eat more than twice that.
                      Same re milk chocolate. Had some of my dad's milk chocolate recently because it was there (also why I eat his potato chips) and I was out of my dark stuff, but I didn't love it. The 85% stuff, plus my homemade chocolate, are the only ones I really enjoy now.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not trying to cut my calories or anything. Just...wasn't that hungry.
                        However, I think it's catching up with me because today all I wanted to do was eat eat and eat!

Dinner was absolutely awesome: brussel sprouts, broccoli and (rather bland) salmon. Sounds pretty boring? I agree. But oh my gosh, fry it all together in bacon fat/grease and it becomes...just...to die for!!

Tomorrow my family's going up to Warkworth (about an hour's drive away) so I may have the house all to myself! >doeshappydance<

The week's over - which I am a bit relieved about - but now I have to face a whole weekend of no training.
                        Don't know how I'll survive.

T.

Comment

• Ugh, I'm having far too much sugar! Early afternoon and I've already had a whole mango, 5 froozeballs, 1 banana and some dark chocolate. What's wrong with me?!

Comment

• Maybe your body is craving more fuel! Feed it!

Em
                            "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Looking back over my food journal on paleotrack, Em you could be right.
                              With the amount of training I'm doing, perhaps 1000 cals a day isn't enough.

One thing I am feeling really pleased about, is that when I'm raiding the pantry for sugar, it doesn't even occur to me that I could very easily feast on the jar of chocolate spread that's sitting right in front of me. Or the lollies. Or any of the other sugary staples that my family keep in the cupboards.
                              I might be finally past even considering anything non-primal! Except maybe the milk chocolate. But I think I can kick even that.

Comment

• Hi Traveller,

Stopping by to day hello, and don't feel guilty about the sugar, as you are quite active! Seems like a lot of fruit and dark chocolate anyway. Your body may be sending you messages

Comment

Working...
                                X