No announcement yet.

Primal Journal ~Traveller~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the links, Em. The first link says I need 1300 cals per day. The second says 2000.

I'd love to go to a gym to. It'd almost be like a playground - so many things to play on!

Comment

• Hi guys,

It was a kind of a weird day today. I don't really know why, it just felt a bit...off.

I had sushi for lunch. Seaweed, salmon, avocado, chicken...rice It was a bit of a splurge, but Mark has written that rice is a bit better than wheat, and other grains, so I thought it'd be okay this once. I also went a bit crazy with the banana's. I had 2 1/2 I think.

I'm really struggling over a decision.
      I'm an orange belt in karate, and if I wanted to I could compete in tournaments. There are several each year, plus the World's every 2 years. A part of me would love to do tournament. It'd be a great experience, I'd be pitted against people my own age (there aren't that many of them at regular training), and I might even win something!
      But, on the other hand...I expect a lot of myself, so much even I can tell if unrealistic and ridiculous. And if I didn't do well...it would really hurt. I'd disappoint myself, my family, and most importantly my Sensei. I think a lot of her, and it would really disappoint her.
      Logically speaking, I think I'm quite good. I think. I don't actually know.

I hate decisions. Even small ones.

T.

Comment

• Originally posted by Traveller View Post
        Hi guys,

It was a kind of a weird day today. I don't really know why, it just felt a bit...off.

I had sushi for lunch. Seaweed, salmon, avocado, chicken...rice It was a bit of a splurge, but Mark has written that rice is a bit better than wheat, and other grains, so I thought it'd be okay this once. I also went a bit crazy with the banana's. I had 2 1/2 I think.

I'm really struggling over a decision.
        I'm an orange belt in karate, and if I wanted to I could compete in tournaments. There are several each year, plus the World's every 2 years. A part of me would love to do tournament. It'd be a great experience, I'd be pitted against people my own age (there aren't that many of them at regular training), and I might even win something!
        But, on the other hand...I expect a lot of myself, so much even I can tell if unrealistic and ridiculous. And if I didn't do well...it would really hurt. I'd disappoint myself, my family, and most importantly my Sensei. I think a lot of her, and it would really disappoint her.
        Logically speaking, I think I'm quite good. I think. I don't actually know.

I hate decisions. Even small ones.

T.
        Hi Traveller!

Would you regret it if you didn't compete? If there's even a tiny chance of regret, go for it... it sounds like you want to complete, it's just you holding yourself back. These are cliches, but... you never know until you try... and better try and fail than not try at all??

Best wishes to you!

Comment

You know, guys; one of the things that most annoys me is contradicting information.

For example: one source says that all spices aggravate acne, and that it's best to steer clear of them.
          And then another source says that some spices (like ginger and turmeric) are very anti-inflammatory, and help to fight acne.
          Talk about irritating!
          Most information about nutrition seems to be like this..

But I would say turmeric and ginger are anti-inflammatory and helps digestion. We use both daily in cooking. Whether or not it fights acne though, I don't know..

Comment

Yikes, accutane. Really? Isn't that the one where you have to sign something, saying that you will have an abortion if you get pregnant? That of course isn't an issue for me, but still...

I know, and I agree with you about what causes acne, but how do you get rid of inflammation and hormonal imbalances? Sounds like more research is to be done...>groan<

T.
            Yes, I did sign that I would have an abortion if I got pregnant. I was only 16, and in my mom's mind there's absolutely no chance. And in her mind, if I had scars on my face, I wouldn't be able to get married (she is super traditional Asian). I don't know whether it was accutane or not, my face cleared up completely by the time I was 19. I was on higher dose than usual though. I was also very anxious/depressed, lost a lot of hair, had some liver problems.

Hormonal imbalances are tough to manage, especially for women. Even though I no longer had acne in my 20s, I still had lots of imbalances, manifesting in irregular periods, painful periods, PCOS, etc. I think genetics play quite a big role. My father had bad acne, while my mother had clear skin. 3 of my siblings also have bad acne, and they are mid-to late 20s already. One sister never had acne, but she has other health issues.

Comment

• Weather's turned to custard.
              Last week (except for sunday) we had beautiful weather. It was like it was mid-spring, instead of the dead of winter.

B - fried bacon on a 'bed' of spinach. It's almost 2pm and I'm only just starting to get hungry, so haven't had lunch yet.

I wish there was a way of hiding this journal from people who aren't members. I'm worried that my Family will read it, which would be a disaster.

T.

Comment

• I wonder what you decided about competing? In some ways it is good to challenge ourselves to do better at something (playing the piano in my case, for example), and setting new goals like gaining the next grade or belt or whatever can be motivating. As can performing in public such as a display or concert.

Competition, though, adds another complicating layer in that we have do do better THAN SOMEONE ELSE. This is not for the faint hearted. You can only do your best, knowing they will also, and see how it comes out. Sure there will be disappointment for you if you don't succeed and this is why I wouldn't put myself out there in something like that (I'm pretty competitive in board games though).

However my dh does in his field, and it is pretty tough on him when the marks don't go as he would like. But never never would that make ME disappointed in HIM, only all the more proud that he actually went through with entering and letting his work be judged against all other comers. Same for my dd when she enters comps - sometimes she is placed and that's exciting for us both, but if not placed she of course would feel some disappointment but certainly not that we (parents and family) are disappointed in HER (because obviously we're not).

So, if you actually think you could potentially "disappoint" your family and sensei then that seems like a very big risk to take. But if you feel you have their support whatever the outcome, then while there is still a risk to your own ego it maybe worth taking. Just my thoughts.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                  I wonder what you decided about competing? In some ways it is good to challenge ourselves to do better at something (playing the piano in my case, for example), and setting new goals like gaining the next grade or belt or whatever can be motivating. As can performing in public such as a display or concert.

Competition, though, adds another complicating layer in that we have do do better THAN SOMEONE ELSE. This is not for the faint hearted. You can only do your best, knowing they will also, and see how it comes out. Sure there will be disappointment for you if you don't succeed and this is why I wouldn't put myself out there in something like that (I'm pretty competitive in board games though).

However my dh does in his field, and it is pretty tough on him when the marks don't go as he would like. But never never would that make ME disappointed in HIM, only all the more proud that he actually went through with entering and letting his work be judged against all other comers. Same for my dd when she enters comps - sometimes she is placed and that's exciting for us both, but if not placed she of course would feel some disappointment but certainly not that we (parents and family) are disappointed in HER (because obviously we're not).

So, if you actually think you could potentially "disappoint" your family and sensei then that seems like a very big risk to take. But if you feel you have their support whatever the outcome, then while there is still a risk to your own ego it maybe worth taking. Just my thoughts.
                  Perhaps it just is my ego that's causing the problem.
                  I mean, I've competed in other things before. Swimming, St Johns, dancing. Sometimes I did quite well. A couple of times I didn't, and it was just a mild disappointment. For some reason, karate is extremely important to me. I mean, my parents are planning on taking all of us to Australia for a holiday. This will be the first time I've ever left NZ, ever been on a plane, but all I could think of was ''2 weeks with no training!!??'' I go nuts after 3 days. It's pretty ridiculous, but I can't seem to help it.
                  I think eventually I will compete. Maybe the next one. Because I think the reason I don't want to is fear of failure, and that's just plain cowardly.

T.

Comment

Perhaps it just is my ego that's causing the problem.
                    I mean, I've competed in other things before. Swimming, St Johns, dancing. Sometimes I did quite well. A couple of times I didn't, and it was just a mild disappointment. For some reason, karate is extremely important to me. I mean, my parents are planning on taking all of us to Australia for a holiday. This will be the first time I've ever left NZ, ever been on a plane, but all I could think of was ''2 weeks with no training!!??'' I go nuts after 3 days. It's pretty ridiculous, but I can't seem to help it.
                    I think eventually I will compete. Maybe the next one. Because I think the reason I don't want to is fear of failure, and that's just plain cowardly.

T.

I'm jealous. Australia?!?! My cousin just got back and they had an awesome time. Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, and Ireland are on my list of places to go before my passport expires in the next 7 years.

You'll survive without karate for bit... Especially for a chance to "travel." You can still workout in your room anyway, right? Although a little down time probably wouldn't hurt, don't ya think?

Ahhhhhhh I'm excited for ya! You better post pictures whenever y'all go.

Em
                    "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Trip sounds exciting! Where in Australia are you going? If you get the chance to see the Great Barrier Reef, definitely go there

Comment

• Originally posted by Emofedom View Post
                        I'm jealous. Australia?!?! My cousin just got back and they had an awesome time. Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, and Ireland are on my list of places to go before my passport expires in the next 7 years.

You'll survive without karate for bit... Especially for a chance to "travel." You can still workout in your room anyway, right? Although a little down time probably wouldn't hurt, don't ya think?

Ahhhhhhh I'm excited for ya! You better post pictures whenever y'all go.

Em
                        "Adapt and Overcome"
                        Yup. Aussie. I know, I should be over the moon. Argh! What's wrong with me?!
                        It's not even certain yet, far from it. But if I do go, you bet there'll be pics!

Comment

• Originally posted by EmmaM View Post
                          Trip sounds exciting! Where in Australia are you going? If you get the chance to see the Great Barrier Reef, definitely go there
                          No idea! It's not certain yet. We are going somewhere, the destination is just undecided.
                          The GB reef sounds awesome, though!

Comment

• Hi all,

I've been on gmap-pedometer, just trying to find out how much exercise I'm getting, how active I am overall, etc.

Monday - 4km walk + training
                            Tuesday - 2.6km walk + 2 hrs training + 2.4/4.8 km walk.
                            Wednesday - 0
                            Thursday - 6.4km walk + training.
                            Friday- 2.6 km walk
                            Saturday - 1.5 hr cycling.
                            Sunday - 0

Hmmm. If I can get to gym, wednesday and friday could be weight-lifting, maybe?

T.

Comment

Hmmm. If I can get to gym, wednesday and friday could be weight-lifting, maybe?

T.
                              That sounds like a lot of cardio, so weights would help balance it out. It would help you tone and bulk up a bit. I love weight lifting. I see the results pretty quickly. In the past I used the book "Body for Life" for weight lift training and I liked it. I never wanted to be like really muscular just toned. That's part of my new goal as you know. The site below is going to be my new go to site for my gym time.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-workout.html

Good luck.

Em
                              "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• You're right, Em - it's definitely mostly cardio, with the odd high intensity workout in training. Yes, weights is definitely a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X