Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
    Heeeey guys!

Hey brooke! Saw you started a journal but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Look forward to posting there Yaw... we arrived in Santa Cruz last night after a few days in NYC. I'm not sure what the plan is. My folks want to go to Vegas, but I think I'd prefer to spend more time in SF, getting to know it. I'm HOPING to move out at the end of October... I just found a sponsor, so we'll see what happens!
    I've always want to visit California... Sounds like fun! Something always seems to shift in Sept/October so that's a good time for change.

Comment

• I think traveling just does loads of weird stuff to your body in general. I'm interested to see how this progress for you! Hopefully well.

Re: bread vs pasta, commercial bread has tons of additives, yeast (well, all bread does but you may be sensitive), weird oils, and often has "wheat gluten" as an added ingredient.

Aaaanywho, I hope you're having a great time! Can't wait to hear more

Ci, I also find many of those shows tedious...
      Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

My folks want to go to Vegas, but I think I'd prefer to spend more time in SF, getting to know it. I'm HOPING to move out at the end of October... I just found a sponsor, so we'll see what happens!
        Yay!!! Here's to hanging out in SF in November!!!!! I have my fingers crossed, hoping to move back there in in September-October.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        However, this time I didn't even realise that it had happened. I suddenly felt calm, incredibly focused, and yet energetic, but it didn't click that it could be ketosis... until I realised that I stank. Wo-ah. How do people do this all the time?! Surely the smell must go after a while? I've never had issues with bad breath or BO, but now I'm washing under my arms and chewing gum non-stop.
        I've heard that the smell goes away after a while.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

In other news: DEATH BY PLANE FOOD. Ate a load of gluten the day we were travelling, and guess what happened? Yup, after perfect skin for about two months: cystic acne outbreak.

It would be interesting to experiment with different kinds of bread though, to see if it's the actual wheat, or if the crap that goes into poor quality bread is what's causing the reaction. I don't get outbreaks from pasta.

I also got a horrible outbreak of cold sores before travelling... which is unusual too. I've maybe had ten in my life, and suddenly I have ten all at once! I know I was tired for two weeks prior to my departure, but I'm tired so frequently that I don't take any notice of it, but I guess I must be run down.

Oh, and yes - I'm in CALI baby!!! So many observations to share. Later...

Missing all you guys! <3
        Wheat gives me cystic acne too.

Don't forget the PICTURES!!!

Originally posted by CiKi90
        I didn't watch Dexter but I watched the original Anime equivalent -- Death Note.

I can't get into any hour-long HBO/Starz whatever type show. I really dunno why... True Blood, Mad Men, Rome, The Tudors... Even if it seems really cool, I just always feel it dragging.
        Oh man, the Tudors--loved that show. True Blood is pretty good too. Tried to read the books, couldn't stand it. My bf loves Mad Men; I never really got into it.

The Game of Thrones show kinda disturbs me now. I thought that season 1 was okay with small deviations, but I felt that season 2 deviated too much from the book. I understand the need to cut out things and so the need for some deviation. But too much deviation is BLASPHEMY. Shhhh, I haven't even started Season 3 yet. But I've read all five books twice.

My journal

Comment

I'm in Ketoisis

Bet that got your attention..!

To all my carbavour friends... I have a confession to make. I got so frustrated with my stomach bloat and weird recent weight re-gain (which I was too withered to even mention) that I decided to go low carb for a few days just to drop some water weight. THe weird thing is, is that by day two I was in ketosis. And I kind of like it
          Somehow I missed this post earlier.

Blasphemy!! I guess you are a fat burning beast now!

Comment

• Originally posted by brookesam View Post
            I've always want to visit California... Sounds like fun! Something always seems to shift in Sept/October so that's a good time for change.
            I agree - it's probably the feeling of the seasons turning. Many people get it at the turn of winter to spring too.

I didn't watch Dexter but I watched the original Anime equivalent -- Death Note.

I can't get into any hour-long HBO/Starz whatever type show. I really dunno why... True Blood, Mad Men, Rome, The Tudors... Even if it seems really cool, I just always feel it dragging.
            Ha, cool that my intuition was right I must check "Death Note" out.

Nah, I agree with you about shows. They take up a lot of time, so you need to pick your battles.

Originally posted by ombat View Post
            Re: bread vs pasta, commercial bread has tons of additives, yeast (well, all bread does but you may be sensitive), weird oils, and often has "wheat gluten" as an added ingredient.

Aaaanywho, I hope you're having a great time! Can't wait to hear more
            Yeah, it would be interesting to do an experiment with really high quality wheat products, to see if they have the same bad effect. It could be a similar case to people going on low carb Paleo, feeling great, not realising that it was all the processed food that made them feel bad, as opposed to the good carbs.

Originally posted by diene View Post
            Yay!!! Here's to hanging out in SF in November!!!!! I have my fingers crossed, hoping to move back there in in September-October.

Oh man, the Tudors--loved that show. True Blood is pretty good too. Tried to read the books, couldn't stand it. My bf loves Mad Men; I never really got into it.

The Game of Thrones show kinda disturbs me now. I thought that season 1 was okay with small deviations, but I felt that season 2 deviated too much from the book. I understand the need to cut out things and so the need for some deviation. But too much deviation is BLASPHEMY. Shhhh, I haven't even started Season 3 yet. But I've read all five books twice.
            Whooooop!

I actually like the deviations! I find it interesting to see how they change characters, or approach the show to make it lighter, or more poignant. But then, I'm reading the books after seeing the show. I generally prefer to do this cos' a good book will ruin a good film; a good film will never ruin a good book.

Originally posted by brookesam View Post
            Somehow I missed this post earlier.

Blasphemy!! I guess you are a fat burning beast now!
            Seduced by the false gods of water weight loss...

I'm so excited to hear about everything that you've got going on! Your traveling, your meet-ups with Om, your experience with ketosis, just --well, I can't wait to hear it all!

I'm so glad things are going well with traveling, too, as it can be kind of stressful sometimes. But the fact that you've switched over time zones easily, are in a likeable version of ketosis, and feel very calm but fueled for your days is excellent! High five ^__^
            <3
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Nothing specific to add YB. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading many of your posts. Good to have you around!

Comment

• The End of the Affair

My recent foray into ketosis is over: its death knoll sounded by a cheese omelette. I forgot how in America they take toppings to the extreme - there must have been half a block of cheese with those eggs!

Ketosis aside, it's interesting to experiment with tweaking my diet again. I've been high carb for quite a few months now and, while my sleep and mood are better, it will be interesting to see how much of that can be attributed to the carbs. Don't worry - I'm not doing anything extreme! Just not eating as much fruit (do I really need four bananas / a whole pineapple every day?), stopping the refined sugar in tea, and reducing the starch with my evening meal. One thing I'm sure of (even though I really hate to admit it): for me, white rice may have too many disadvantages to eat regularly. Yesterday (warning: TMI), I had the first proper BM I've had in ages. Lately I've been going four / five times per day, but no decent movements.

So, America! In New York we went to a show (Saw "Cinderella" - not the greatest), and went shopping (bought a gorgeous lilac cocktail dress, for [yet another] wedding). Yesterday I went to Trader Joes, which was very exciting (Is it sad that I'm not even joking?)

Santa Cruz is nothing to write home about, so we're leaving my brother to finish his exams and heading to Monterey for a day, then back to SF where I can dump my parents and start meeting up with the friends of friends I've been connected with. On Sunday we're driving back South and will be going through Nevada... mmmm - heat!

Since being here, I've become acutely aware of how reserved we Europeans are compared to Americans. It's said that "everything is bigger in America", and that also goes for people's vibes. In America, people don't hold back: they carry themselves differently, and even their postures are bigger! In restaurants I can feel how we come across as distant, or even rude, but we're used to under-stated service so, to us, the waiting staff and shop attendants here are a bit full-on. Not saying this is bad, but if I moved here it's something I would consciously have to adapt to.

It's a very interesting difference in how people project themselves, and I wonder if it makes for a greater sense of self fulfilment, or if it creates a barrier of its own.
                Last edited by YogaBare; 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM.
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                  Nothing specific to add YB. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading many of your posts. Good to have you around!
                  Aww! Thanks canio Likewise, I appreciate your contribution.

Welcome to the journal!

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Ooo, I had a rice mishap today as well. Isn't that funny. I think it's about cutting back on the extraneous. For most in the paleo world that would mean not dousing everything in butter and coconut oil. For me that meant not drinking juice like it was going out of style, though Zach might not agree. For you maybe it means not an entire pineapple.

People in general are very... out there. And I don' think you have to be European to be discomforted by it. Salespeople in general are trained to be on top of customers, because they believe they'll make more money that way. People on the streets just tend to be more open about themselves as well. I wonder why.

So.... NEXT WEEK YEAH??
                    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• YB, I just wrote a long post all about the Monterey/Carmel area and lost it. When I read that you were heading that way I just had to share all the wonderful places to visit. My husband and I have visited a few times a year for over 15 years. It is VERY special and so beautiful. I will recreate what I wrote if you are interested.

Comment

• Here is the info about Monterey/Carmel - you need more than 1 day!!!

This drive up the coast is breathtaking - can stop along the way and sit outside overlooking the cliffs/ocean - Ventana, Post Ranch Inn, etc.
                        Route 1 - Big Sur Coast Highway - Big Sur, CA
                        Big Sur National Scenic Byways Program

Point Lobos is on the way (not too far from Monterey) - hike overlooking the ocean - my parents loved this.
                        Point Lobos State Reserve - Carmel, CA

The Monterey Aquarium is popular, and it is great, but I would skip if short on time.
                        Pacific Grove is beautiful - Pacific Grove Official Visitors Guide | Pacific Grove, CA | Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce

17 mile drive is a little touristy, but worth it in my opinion. Can stop at Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay (they have a wonderful area to sit outside with fire pits and watch the sunset over the ocean with bagpiper). Just did this a few weeks ago!
                        Pebble Beach Resorts
                        Bagpiper Entertainment at the Inn at Spanish Bay || HotelChatter

Downtown Carmel to walk around - lots of shops, art galleries, and restaurants - (ocean avenue off highway 1) - the main street goes down to the ocean with a beautiful beach. Very quaint.
                        Carmel by the Sea | Hotels, Shopping, Wine Tasting, Beaches

Take Carmel Valley Ranch road off Highway 1 to the open countryside. Love Earthbound Organic Farms market place, and Carmel Valley Ranch is my favorite place to stay and visit - so peaceful.

Comment

• Monterey/Carmel Valley, that's my old stomping ground.

Yogabare, I loved the Velvet Underground video. I used to have that cassett. I especially the love the songs that Nico sings.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
                            Ooo, I had a rice mishap today as well. Isn't that funny. I think it's about cutting back on the extraneous. For most in the paleo world that would mean not dousing everything in butter and coconut oil. For me that meant not drinking juice like it was going out of style, though Zach might not agree. For you maybe it means not an entire pineapple.

People in general are very... out there. And I don' think you have to be European to be discomforted by it. Salespeople in general are trained to be on top of customers, because they believe they'll make more money that way. People on the streets just tend to be more open about themselves as well. I wonder why.
                            I think extremes suit some people very well, but not me. I want balance and moderation!!!

But don't Americans consider Europeans standoffish? It's funny, cos' when I lived here before I noticed all those things, but its different this time.

So.... NEXT WEEK YEAH??
                            Oooooooh yeAH! Are we going to laugh at the lady who brings us coffee? ("What a loser - asking us if we want sugar? SOOO overbearing.")

Originally posted by NewfMom View Post
                            Here is the info about Monterey/Carmel - you need more than 1 day!!!

This drive up the coast is breathtaking - can stop along the way and sit outside overlooking the cliffs/ocean - Ventana, Post Ranch Inn, etc.
                            Route 1 - Big Sur Coast Highway - Big Sur, CA
                            Big Sur National Scenic Byways Program

Point Lobos is on the way (not too far from Monterey) - hike overlooking the ocean - my parents loved this.
                            Point Lobos State Reserve - Carmel, CA

The Monterey Aquarium is popular, and it is great, but I would skip if short on time.
                            Pacific Grove is beautiful - Pacific Grove Official Visitors Guide | Pacific Grove, CA | Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce

17 mile drive is a little touristy, but worth it in my opinion. Can stop at Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay (they have a wonderful area to sit outside with fire pits and watch the sunset over the ocean with bagpiper). Just did this a few weeks ago!
                            Pebble Beach Resorts
                            Bagpiper Entertainment at the Inn at Spanish Bay || HotelChatter

Downtown Carmel to walk around - lots of shops, art galleries, and restaurants - (ocean avenue off highway 1) - the main street goes down to the ocean with a beautiful beach. Very quaint.
                            Carmel by the Sea | Hotels, Shopping, Wine Tasting, Beaches

Take Carmel Valley Ranch road off Highway 1 to the open countryside. Love Earthbound Organic Farms market place, and Carmel Valley Ranch is my favorite place to stay and visit - so peaceful.
                            Wow, NewfMom - thank you so much for all this info! That's unbelievably sweet of you We did the Big Sur trail today, and we're leaving first thing tomorrow, but before we go I'll suggest one or two of the things on the list to my folks. We're just outside Carmel now!

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                            Monterey/Carmel Valley, that's my old stomping ground.

Yogabare, I loved the Velvet Underground video. I used to have that cassett. I especially the love the songs that Nico sings.
                            She has a beautiful voice. I love that whole album they do together - such a moment in time.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Death Note is great, Light was my role model when I was growing up
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• I don't think Europeans seem stand-offish but then perhaps that was them mirroring my American behavior. I'm not super outgoing but I do enjoy talking to strangers once it starts and I enjoy being friendly and smiling to people wherever I go. It contributes to my feeling connected to the world in a loving compassionate way. Like we are all people sharing the same world and ought to treat each other like neighbors. Distancing oneself from strangers seems the first step in the "us vs. them" mindset that grows to create wars. Feeling united with the humanness of even strangers starts the process of thinking and caring about the lives of others instead of just an "I've got mine!" way of living. A few years ago I moved to a small town after spending my entire life in a big city, people are MUCH friendlier in small towns! They treat you like they might see you again someday, because they probably will.
                                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Working...
                                X