This is not a lobe song

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by serenity View Post
    Hope it works out. Where in CA are you thinking of going? I'm from CA originally although I live on the East Coast now; I'm planning on moving back to CA (San Francisco Bay Area) within the next year (hopefully by the end of the year, but we'll see).
    SF! I lived in San diego 11 years ago, and fell in love with SF when I visited it. Although I've always had a weird draw to Cali: from the age of 6 I started telling my parents I wanted to live there. Santa Barbara is meant to be nice too...

I hear you on the work I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing about health is stress reduction and human connection. That's what I'm prioritising now

Is that weight shifting for you at all? (and are you still "eating a ton"?) btw, I'm reading GOT - love it!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
      BEEEAAAUUUTTIIIIFFULLLL

All those frutarians looks pretty slim to me... and it's probably a healthier way to lose weight than going in the opposite direction aka what everyone else here is doing.
      It was so easy for me to be skinny as a vegan, but some people here say they were fat vegans. It depends on your physiology.

Saying that, my skin and hair were dreadful (dry), and I didn't get my period for months. I need balance!
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Yeah, but were't you also eating grains and SAD shit when you were a vegan?

SF is great, and SB is really nice too, but quiet. You might be bored there.
        Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

I think you should post a pic of yourself just so we can tell you how beeaauuutiful you are <3
          I agree!!

I don't know about a fruitarian diet though. I'm not so sure about consuming excessive quantities of fructose. I don't want to get into an argument over fructose here, but people like Mercola believe that fructose is bad for you. Now, I buy crap from Mercola from time to time, and I read his articles. But sometimes I wonder if he's just a quack. Well, not a complete quack, but it's clear to me that he reads the same stuff that we read (paleo community stuff), and sometimes his articles just regurgitate the information someone else has posted somewhere else. And that's not encouraging to me. But he posts some good stuff sometimes. Anyway, he is very anti-fructose (which actually has caused me to feel guilty every time I eat an apple, which I think is kinda ridiculous). But this-->why you maybe shouldn't adopt a fruitarian diet: Surprising Health Hazards Associated with an All-Fruit Diet

My journal

Comment

Yeah, but were't you also eating grains and SAD shit when you were a vegan?

SF is great, and SB is really nice too, but quiet. You might be bored there.
            I was eating a shit ton of lentils and veggies, pita breads, avos, rice milk, artificial sweeteners, and lots and lots of oatmeal. I didnt menstuate for months and everyone told me it was cos I was too thin. Then I started taking iron supps, and guess what happened? Yup. Got my period the next day!

I need meat... lol

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I don't think it has to be all or nothing. You could do mostly frutarian with meat re feeds every once in a while. Once or twice a week just go crazy on a couple of steaks or a giant fish or something? That's probably more similar to how we would actually eat as hunter gatherers... You know... I might have to think about this.....

Comment

I agree!!

I don't know about a fruitarian diet though. I'm not so sure about consuming excessive quantities of fructose. I don't want to get into an argument over fructose here, but people like Mercola believe that fructose is bad for you. Now, I buy crap from Mercola from time to time, and I read his articles. But sometimes I wonder if he's just a quack. Well, not a complete quack, but it's clear to me that he reads the same stuff that we read (paleo community stuff), and sometimes his articles just regurgitate the information someone else has posted somewhere else. And that's not encouraging to me. But he posts some good stuff sometimes. Anyway, he is very anti-fructose (which actually has caused me to feel guilty every time I eat an apple, which I think is kinda ridiculous). But this-->why you maybe shouldn't adopt a fruitarian diet: Surprising Health Hazards Associated with an All-Fruit Diet
                Here at "This is not a Lobe Song" we discourage partaking in fruit fear Honestly, I bought into the insulin spiking thing at first, but before that I always thought that fruit was the most natural food stuff for humans. If you look at our teeth we don't have omnivorous dentals: we have sharper incisors and the structure is basically perfect for gripping and tearing fruit.

Personally I argue for balance, but there's no reason not to eat portions of fruit. Apples do cause bloating though
                Last edited by YogaBare; 05-06-2013, 11:46 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

I don't think it has to be all or nothing. You could do mostly frutarian with meat re feeds every once in a while. Once or twice a week just go crazy on a couple of steaks or a giant fish or something? That's probably more similar to how we would actually eat as hunter gatherers... You know... I might have to think about this.....
                  Only in summer and autumn... Although there is the migration theory...

Anyway, I'm done with restrictive diets. I ate sticky toffee pudding last week man - I feel so ALIVE!!!

Last edited by YogaBare; 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                    SF! I lived in San diego 11 years ago, and fell in love with SF when I visited it. Although I've always had a weird draw to Cali: from the age of 6 I started telling my parents I wanted to live there. Santa Barbara is meant to be nice too...

I hear you on the work I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing about health is stress reduction and human connection. That's what I'm prioritising now

Is that weight shifting for you at all? (and are you still "eating a ton"?) btw, I'm reading GOT - love it!
                    Cool! Maybe we can hang out in real life if we both move there. Well, I probably wouldn't actually move to SF, I'd probably move somewhere in the East Bay, Oakland or something. But close enough.

The stress thing--that's why I keep postponing my move. I have a job here, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job in SF so I keep trying to save up more money. Not having a lot of savings and not having a job would be really stressful.

I'm still eating a ton, and my weight hasn't gone down (nor have I lost any inches). I've gained 2 pounds since I started eating a ton in mid-Feb., which isn't really too bad considering that the difference between counting and restricting all the time and eating a ton is only 2 pounds, but it's also possible that I'm continuing to slowly gain weight, which is definitely not good. But I'm also convinced that my recent weight problem is caused by my IUD, and I had that removed last Friday. So I'm giving my body time to normalize, and hopefully it will.

And GOT is the best!

Edited to add: Okay, that ^^^ picture is disturbing. Still waiting for your pix, YB!
                    Last edited by diene; 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM.

My journal

Comment

• I agree that it all depends on your physiology. The more I experiment with these things and read about other people's experiences, the more I think that there isn't one optimal way of eating that works for everyone. So maybe for some people it's really HFLC, but for others maybe it's not. I've never been vegan before, but I was vegetarian for a while. And I'm pretty sure that I couldn't lose weight by being veggie.

On the subject of oatmeal (since you said that you ate a lot of it), I ate a lot of oatmeal pre-primal too. And it's the one thing I really miss. And I really think that it helped me control my weight. I usually made a porridge out of it with eggs and sardines (I know this may sound disgusting) and hot sauce. Yeah, gross, I know. But I really liked it. Pefect fuel for races too. I've been thinking about buying some gluten-free oats and eating oatmeal again. But I feel like I've been so indoctrinated by primal/paleo that I can't do it. Crazy, huh.

My journal

Comment

Cool! Maybe we can hang out in real life if we both move there. Well, I probably wouldn't actually move to SF, I'd probably move somewhere in the East Bay, Oakland or something. But close enough.

The stress thing--that's why I keep postponing my move. I have a job here, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job in SF so I keep trying to save up more money. Not having a lot of savings and not having a job would be really stressful.

I'm still eating a ton, and my weight hasn't gone down (nor have I lost any inches). I've gained 2 pounds since I started eating a ton in mid-Feb., which isn't really too bad considering that the difference between counting and restricting all the time and eating a ton is only 2 pounds, but it's also possible that I'm continuing to slowly gain weight, which is definitely not good. But I'm also convinced that my recent weight problem is caused by my IUD, and I had that removed last Friday. So I'm giving my body time to normalize, and hopefully it will.

And GOT is the best!

Edited to add: Okay, that ^^^ picture is disturbing. Still waiting for your pix, YB!
                        For sure!

Thing is: stress can't be avoided. It's inside us. What we can do is learn to identify it, and manage it. It's supposed to be triggered at important moments, but most people live in a chronic state of stress. I'm really paying attention to it right now, and I'm finding that the familiarisation with the sensations is helping me be aware of when I start to get stressed so I can then curb it.

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                        On the subject of oatmeal (since you said that you ate a lot of it), I ate a lot of oatmeal pre-primal too. And it's the one thing I really miss. And I really think that it helped me control my weight. I usually made a porridge out of it with eggs and sardines (I know this may sound disgusting) and hot sauce. Yeah, gross, I know. But I really liked it. Pefect fuel for races too. I've been thinking about buying some gluten-free oats and eating oatmeal again. But I feel like I've been so indoctrinated by primal/paleo that I can't do it. Crazy, huh.
                        I used to LIVE on oatmeal. I would have it twice a day sometimes... I even had a famtasy that I'd open an Oatmeal restaurant, cos I had so many recipes! My favouite was oatmeal with oat milk, salt, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and brazil nuts. I don't eat any of those foods anymore (apart from the salt)!

Did you see the recipe for primal oatmeal I started? You could give that a try - it's good! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81549.html

Although honestly... if you really loved oatmeal...

Did you lose weight on Primal initially or why did you start this woe?

Pics on the way

- Ray Peat

Comment

• OK! So here are some photos.

These pics are NOT me right now. They're taken a year ago, when I was about 10 lbs thinner. I was a vegan, and binged a few times a week on junk (Sigh) but my weight had been consistent for nearly a year (I had been quite underweight prior to that). When I went primal I cut more, then all hell broke loose.

Basically I think this would be an easy enough weight for me to maintain (once I lose all the weight i've gained since primal ) I was in the middle of my yoga training, so was just starting to build muscle. I have more now (under the flab).

This is basically so people in the fitness know-how can tell me how much I need to do to get the body of my yoga goddess on the previous page.

So here we have the body shots:
                          XXXX
                          XXXX

You can see I've got the start of a six pack, but I've also got a belly. This belly is impossible for me to shift... no matter how thin I get it's still there. (I know most women have this complaint but still...)

And here's the ass shot:
                          XXXXX

I have a... "generous" derriere Unfortunately it has no muscle tone and it doesn't respond to exercise. I think I would need to do something pretty intense to get it in shape.

I have a slight curve in my lower spine which apparently can hamper the effectiveness of butt exercises.

Okay, tell me what I need to do! I'm taking the pics down in the morning.
                          Last edited by YogaBare; 05-09-2013, 03:42 AM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• "need to do"?
                            nothing. nothing at all. live, breathe, eat. Try to do stuff that makes you happy.
                            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

Did you see the recipe for primal oatmeal I started? You could give that a try - it's good! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81549.html

Although honestly... if you really loved oatmeal...

Did you lose weight on Primal initially or why did you start this woe?

Pics on the way
                              I'm definitely going to try that. I have some bananas and can make it tomorrow morning. Don't have any frozen berries, but someone else on the thread said they used dark chocolate, which I have. Yum!

I started primal after reading about it a lot. It all made so much sense to me. At first, I lost a few pounds (3-4), but in retrospect, I'm sure it was all water weight. I switched to primal but wasn't restricting. When I occasionally did log my food intake on Fitday (guesstimating the quantities because I wasn't measuring or weighing my food), I always ate between 2100-2300 cals a day (but always less than 100 g carbs). When I didn't lose any more, I came to these forums to complain. I didn't hang out here constantly back then. People told me that I needed to start IFing. So I did. 16/8 at first, then 24-hour fasts. I did lose weight with the 24-hour fasts twice a week, and at my lowest, I was 13 pounds lighter than I am now. Then last June, I went to a college buddy's wedding in Chicago. All of my college friends are big foodies so we decided that it was going to be a 4-day weekend of food and booze. I gained a bit of weight after that, and I'm not sure what happened next, but I pretty much gained back everything I had lost. Then I complained on the forums again, and some people told me that maybe the 24-hour fasts broke my metabolism. So I went back to 16-hour fasts, which I still do a few times a week. I think the 16-hour fasts are pretty harmless.

Then I got the IUD (this was the very end of August) and gained even more weight (6 pounds). I'm only 5'4" so 6 pounds is a lot, especially since I gain it all in one place (waist/belly area). I still fit into jeans I had when I was in 9th grade so my hips/thighs don't really get fatter--it all goes to my belly. Anyway, then I tried VLC with carb-cycling. The high carb days would always turn into binge days because I'd be so deprived all week. That was not good. I also tried the potato hack. Whatever I did, I just couldn't lose any weight other than water weight. Then in mid-Feb, I decided that I'd had enough and stopped restricting. The binging stopped when I stopped restricting. And here I am now.

My journal

Comment

• YB - I can't help you at all with how much work you'd have to do because I've never really exerted myself a day in my life, butttttt, you look great. And I'm sure you still look great. Lots of love!

Serenity, I'm guessing it was not a hormone free IUD?

Comment

Working...
                                X