Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is not a lobe song

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ombat View Post
    Don't remember if I asked you this, but have you tried taking anything before bed? Valerian root? Kava kava? Chamomile? Catnip? St. John's Wort? A combination of all?
    I've tried a plethora of herbal remedies for sleep - not much helps. St John'w wort was like caffeine pills! Catnip could be entertaining..

    On a slightly related topic, a few years ago I did hear that the new generation of recreational drug users were getting high off plant food!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Whoever said that 4tbs of honey will help you sleep is right on the money. Been drinking like 3oz of honey before bed and i have never had such deep sleep. Very weird because during the day, honey coffee gives me great energy but maple syrup coffee is not as good. Something about the massive amount of fructose in the honey.
      Just don't take it and stay up a bit longer. It can kick in with a sugar high that keeps you up. Trick is to fall asleep before it kicks in.

      Originally posted by Cierra
      My grandfather is a beekeeper, and has told me so much information about the benefits of different types honey from a very young age. I've always loved it, and used it for anything from seasonal allergies, to sleep issues, to an energy boost. My BF didn't know that if you buy raw, local honey it can cure your seasonal allergies, and ever since I told him this, he's been buying some. Now, he can breathe easily and is amazed that no one told him that for his entire life, haha. Honey is delicious and soooo good for you -- if it weren't so high in calories, I think I'd use it to sweeten everything! But I just occasionally use it for medicinal purposes, now. (Bonus points if you can get a jar with honeycomb & pollen in it!)
      I take local raw honey with pollen for seasonal allergies. Most years it is all I need, when I need more I found cutting out eggs for those few months does the rest. I'm always on and off about feeling like I'm allergic to eggs.
      PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

      Comment


      • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        Does it sound like that? I'm not sure...

        Zach, what's your impression of Steve, based on what I've written?



        I agree about the honey, but in the past I'd have to eat a lot for it to make a difference to my sleep. I'm talking 200gs (7 oz). Maybe it would be less now that I'm keeping warmer...
        Yes hes using metabolism in the old school way where burning calories raises metabolism. So things like eating tons of protein, cold water theropy, hiit, etc are all metabolism boosters. But someone like Matt Stone would say that these are all stressors that while they do burn more calories, they actually harm the body long term and lower metabolism. So while they are both using the term differently, they actually agree that less stress is better.

        I think he seems like a pretty brilliant guy who has done a ton of experimenting and research. Hes probably pretty stufk in his paradigm and not well versed in diet so you have to take anything not related to temp with a grain of salt.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Zach View Post
          Yes hes using metabolism in the old school way where burning calories raises metabolism. So things like eating tons of protein, cold water theropy, hiit, etc are all metabolism boosters. But someone like Matt Stone would say that these are all stressors that while they do burn more calories, they actually harm the body long term and lower metabolism. So while they are both using the term differently, they actually agree that less stress is better.

          I think he seems like a pretty brilliant guy who has done a ton of experimenting and research. Hes probably pretty stufk in his paradigm and not well versed in diet so you have to take anything not related to temp with a grain of salt.
          When you say "old way" - what's the "new way" of regarding metabolism?
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

          In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

          - Ray Peat

          Comment


          • What i think of as the new way of thinking is just what Matt Stone and others are talking about. Naturally raising metabolism through thyroid health. I think they use metabolism for lack of a better word. The oldschool way of thinking was metabolism = how many calories you are burning.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Zach View Post
              What i think of as the new way of thinking is just what Matt Stone and others are talking about. Naturally raising metabolism through thyroid health. I think they use metabolism for lack of a better word. The oldschool way of thinking was metabolism = how many calories you are burning.
              Okay, so you mean metabolism as in how well the body is functioning? Yeah, that makes sense.

              There's so much cross-over and contradictions with the theories: it's a bit confusing sometimes. Peat belives metabolism and intelligence are linked, Richfield says it's temperature and intelligence. I"m going to go with Peat... If the organism was functioning at an optimal level (metabolism?) it would experience a the full expression of its intelligence, and would automatically be at its ideal temp. As opposed to Richfield's theory, which seems to be higher temp = lower metabolism = higher intelligence.

              With a higher temp you wouldn't lose as much heat energy, but the metabolism might rev up in other ways (healing etc)...
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

              In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

              - Ray Peat

              Comment


              • Raising Body Temp
                Entry Ten

                Sleeeeeeep:
                12.30am - 06.00am. Drifted in and out of sleep til 7.30am.

                Temperature:
                Woke up at 36.5C, which is pretty good! Don't think I got to 37C today though.

                Body:
                - Skin on hands is still like tissue paper
                - Outbreak of cystic acne is very improved, surprisingly.
                - Lost some water weight, I think.
                - Hair = <3

                Food:
                In one way it was good to have the food tracker and know what I was eating... but it's so nice not to give a fuck anymore! I had a hungry day today (I think cos' I didn't eat a huge amount for the last three days) but I actually feel I'm in a place of trust with my body so I don't need to look for the patterns anymore.

                Energy and mood:
                I'm still feeling a bit stressed. And... tiiiired! I was teaching yoga at 1pm, and I had to take a nap before hand... but I couldn't sleep. Don't know if I"m so tired cos' I'm not sleeping enough, or if it's what Steve says:

                "People with low body temperatures often avoid dressing warmly, because they both keep themselves going and keep themselves warm with adrenaline. If they warm themselves up by other means such as warm clothing, then they shut down their adrenaline supply and crash into chronic fatigue. However, once their body temperature has been reset back up to 98.6oF, they have no problem dressing warmly, because they can keep going just fine at 98.6oF without adrenaline."
                Final thoughts:
                Temperature and metabolism or whatever, I'm actually feeling distinctly dumber right now :P
                Last edited by YogaBare; 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM.
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                - Ray Peat

                Comment


                • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  Okay, so you mean metabolism as in how well the body is functioning? Yeah, that makes sense.

                  There's so much cross-over and contradictions with the theories: it's a bit confusing sometimes. Peat belives metabolism and intelligence are linked, Richfield says it's temperature and intelligence. I"m going to go with Peat... If the organism was functioning at an optimal level (metabolism?) it would experience a the full expression of its intelligence, and would automatically be at its ideal temp. As opposed to Richfield's theory, which seems to be higher temp = lower metabolism = higher intelligence.

                  With a higher temp you wouldn't lose as much heat energy, but the metabolism might rev up in other ways (healing etc)...
                  Peat and Stephan believe the same thing. Just the wording is different.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Zach View Post
                    Peat and Stephan believe the same thing. Just the wording is different.
                    On first reading I thought they meant the same thing, now I'm not so sure... But I'm reeeeally slow mentally today, so that might not be surprising.!

                    Asked Steve about it:

                    YB: A researcher I really like (Ray Peat) links intelligence and metabolism, beliving that a higher metabolism leas to higher intelligence.... What do you think?

                    Steve: No, it is temperature rather than metabolism. Of course if your temperature is stuck low and you are trying to increase it by increasing metabolism - a common error - it can sure look like it is metabolism-related.
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                    - Ray Peat

                    Comment


                    • I still think they are trying to get to the same place, Stephan just believes metabolism = calories burnt. Peat believes that a naturally hih metabolism will have a high temp so they agree, just different definitions of metabolism.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        I've tried a plethora of herbal remedies for sleep - not much helps. St John'w wort was like caffeine pills! Catnip could be entertaining..

                        On a slightly related topic, a few years ago I did hear that the new generation of recreational drug users were getting high off plant food!
                        It doesn't have quite the effect on us humans as it does on the felines. Sorry to spoil your fun. Well, edible marijuana puts me dead to sleep. As in, knocks me out cold wherever I am (only after enjoying a nice, closed eyed light show) so maybe I just have herbal narcolepsy.

                        Plant food? I don't even want to know.

                        P.S. Regarding the cystic acne, you could not have only had a reaction to the gluten, but the yeast in the beer as well. Just a thought.
                        Last edited by ombat; 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM.
                        Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Cierra
                          Well, depending on what kind of honey it is, you can use it on burns, cuts or rashes. You can make a face mask for help with acne, you can stabilize your blood pressure and your blood sugar, and it's even been known to help with anxiety, so that you feel calm or even a bit sleepy. Then, there's the comb and wax, which you can chew on like Paleo bubble gum lol. And ya know, all sorts of things come from other bee products: bee sting therapy for arthritis, bee pollen for energy, beeswax for candles/soap/etc.

                          I totally feel like Forest Gump right now.... "There's all kinds of stuff you can do with shrimp....popcorn shrimps, butterfly shrimp, coconut shrimp..." LOL.

                          When I was recovering and gaining weight, my grandparents gave me two pints of their honey, and I went through both of them (well, my boyfriend and I) in about two months! It's delicious, but hard to ship across states, since I moved. Maybe I'll get back into the honey thing soon, now that I feel a little "safer" around foods I once felt I had little to no control around.
                          I can attest to raw honey working great on skin - it's antibacterial and reduces a lot of inflammation.

                          Thanks for all this info!
                          Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            I still think they are trying to get to the same place, Stephan just believes metabolism = calories burnt. Peat believes that a naturally hih metabolism will have a high temp so they agree, just different definitions of metabolism.
                            Yeah, I think you're right.

                            I'm not really sure about this raising body temp thing anymore. I don't know how practical it is to spend the rest of my life wearing layers of wool.! It seems like it's a life-long effort for these people...
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                            In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                            - Ray Peat

                            Comment


                            • If you want to raise body temperature just come live here, it's 98 degrees already.

                              I think Stephen is looking at it through a pin hole and misses the big picture. There are plenty of really stupid people in California whom all would be actively operating at high temperature most of the time. They're also quite fat, which means their metabolism obviously isn't up to par. Ergo, more support for Ray Peat's theory of metabolism = energy surplus = efficient co2 = healthy thyroid = intelligence.
                              Make America Great Again

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                                If you want to raise body temperature just come live here, it's 98 degrees already.

                                I think Stephen is looking at it through a pin hole and misses the big picture. There are plenty of really stupid people in California whom all would be actively operating at high temperature most of the time. They're also quite fat, which means their metabolism obviously isn't up to par. Ergo, more support for Ray Peat's theory of metabolism = energy surplus = efficient co2 = healthy thyroid = intelligence.
                                Well, the thing is - being in a hot place doesn't necessarily raise your core body temp. Back to back I lived in India, then Dubai, then South Africa which was a total of six months in the tropics, but I just sweated all the time which kept my core cool but the rest of me gross. Steve's idea is that you need to reset your temp to function at a higher temp.

                                But I agree: I think he's missing the big picture.

                                Derp, how did you go about raising your metabolism? Did you just follow the Peat diet and supplment with t3 or was there something else?

                                Edit: oh, and FYI - I'm already looking into living in Cali
                                Last edited by YogaBare; 04-24-2013, 01:21 AM.
                                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                                - Ray Peat

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X