This is not a lobe song

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by diene View Post
    I thought that thyroid is only supposed to make you sleepy at first? Then it's supposed to give you energy and make you feel less tired.

About the sleep: I know you don't want to take more supps, but have you considered rhodiola? It really helped me sleep. It needs to be rotated with something else though. You become tolerant to it after a while. Drumroll has two threads that have some good info on that. I ordered passion flower, which is the other thing that he took that helped him sleep. I'm rotating out the rhodiola and rotating in the passion flower.
    Where did you hear that thyroid makes you tired at first? (by "at first" - do you mean right after you take it, or at the start of your course? I've only been taking it four days..)

Thanks hon. I will try the rhodiola if the raw thyroid doesn't work I'm trying to get to the root of the cause...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Yo, do you take magnesium (citrate) before bedtime? I find it helps me sleep better and it's a good supplement to take, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        Having come through BED to the other side, I don't believe it's a psychological disease. I used to think that, and I would beat myself up for being so weak and not being able to stop. But like I said, now I'm sure that it arises from physiological needs. You are pretty low carb, and I bet your body is screaming for simple sources of energy. I honestly think that if you started to incorporate more fruit and simple sugars into your diet, your desire to binge would gradually start to decline.

I can understand why you want to stick with low carb - you had great success with it at one stage, and it seems logical that to look like that again, you need to do what you did before. My story is sooo like yours. When I started Primal I was 125 lbs (at 5'8, so pretty lean - 19% bf). I went VLC initially and I dropped even more weight, and I have to admit, my body looked pretty good. I was getting asked if I was a dancer by people (sigh). Anyway, this only lasted a month or so, and then I relapsed into the most horrific bout of BED I've ever had. I would get up in the morning and start binging - was eating ben and jerrys and cookies slathered in nutella for breakfast, and then would binge again in the evening. It was hell. Bye-bye nice body! I don't know how much I gained at what stages, but in the space of a year I gained 20 lbs (highest weight being 144 lbs). I'm sure that being VLC was what triggered the relapse, because there was nothing bad happening in my life.

Since starting to eat Peat the binging is really just a memory, because I'm only eating foods I love! Mostly dairy, fruit, shell fish, and sugar. Sometimes I have ice cream. It's great Rather than shifting to a Peat diet though, would you just consider not being low carb anymore, and seeing how you felt?
        I do think eating whole foods and incorporating Peat's principles work really well in overcoming binge eating. I didn't eat sugary or sweet things for years and always binged on those. Now that I eat sugar and fruits freely, I stopped craving sweet things. I have ice cream in my fridge that I made last week and I haven't had the urge to eat it. Back in my binging days, I never understood how a person can leave uneaten ice cream in their fridge.

And the interesting thing is, the sugar I consume daily isn't really that much. I add maybe a few tsp of sugar (total) to my coffees during the day. Besides this I just eat fruit and rice. Everything adds up to around 250g of carbs daily.

I do believe that if you have a healthy metabolism, you won't put on weight beyond a certain point. My SIL eats a high starch diet, and she has trouble gaining beyond 90 lbs at 5'2". She doesn't restrict herself and just goes by appetite. I envy most not having any sort of attachment towards food, and just eat for fuel.

The leap needed to believe that sugar is OK is similar to that leap needed to believe that fat is OK, which Primal Blueprint helped with.

Comment

That's a really good idea - I'll do that!

I have to take back what I said: even though I ate right before bed, I couldn't sleep, and I woke up after 1.5 hours. So I'm starting to see that sometimes food can help, and sometimes it can't. Wonder what the variable is...
          Same goes with body image issues during that TOM. If I notice that I'm really despising myself in the mirror and see that I'm nearing my cycle, I automatically go into dgaf / won't even look in the mirror mode because I know it's all a trick of the.... hormones.

Sleep issues could be cycle related too, yeah?
          Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Graycat View Post
            Yo, do you take magnesium (citrate) before bedtime? I find it helps me sleep better and it's a good supplement to take, anyway.
            Mg has never helped me sleep Thanks for the thought though!

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
            The leap needed to believe that sugar is OK is similar to that leap needed to believe that fat is OK, which Primal Blueprint helped with.
            That's an excellent summation Girl! Sig worthy

Originally posted by ombat View Post
            Same goes with body image issues during that TOM. If I notice that I'm really despising myself in the mirror and see that I'm nearing my cycle, I automatically go into dgaf / won't even look in the mirror mode because I know it's all a trick of the.... hormones.

Sleep issues could be cycle related too, yeah?
            Definitely hormone related, but not cycle as 1) I don't seem to have a cycle , 2) the insomnia is chronic.

That's so interesting that you get the body hate right before your period! I've noticed that too - even though I'll be the same size, I'll suddenly start to feel really unattractive. I wonder if there's a biological / evolutionary reason behind that...
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Definitely hormone related, but not cycle as 1) I don't seem to have a cycle , 2) the insomnia is chronic.

That's so interesting that you get the body hate right before your period! I've noticed that too - even though I'll be the same size, I'll suddenly start to feel really unattractive. I wonder if there's a biological / evolutionary reason behind that...
              Ah, well regardless of the insomnia, your hormones are probably "cycling" regularly. I had all the same symptoms at all the same times even during the 5 months that I had no period at all.

What's the point of wanting to put yourself out there when you're about to bleed?
              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Where did you hear that thyroid makes you tired at first? (by "at first" - do you mean right after you take it, or at the start of your course? I've only been taking it four days..)

Thanks hon. I will try the rhodiola if the raw thyroid doesn't work I'm trying to get to the root of the cause...
                I read it in the Ray Peat forum. Uh, I guess it doesn't actually say that it makes you tired only in the beginning--I misremembered it. Sorry, I shouldn't spew information without double checking for accuracy. It says that Ray Peat had mentioned that taking thyroid makes you want to take naps in the afternoon. Here it is: http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/vi...php?f=3&t=1744

My journal

Comment

• Originally posted by diene View Post
                  I read it in the Ray Peat forum. Uh, I guess it doesn't actually say that it makes you tired only in the beginning--I misremembered it. Sorry, I shouldn't spew information without double checking for accuracy. It says that Ray Peat had mentioned that taking thyroid makes you want to take naps in the afternoon. Here it is: http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/vi...php?f=3&t=1744
                  Thanks - that's really useful Hey, how are you getting on with the Cytomel, and the derma rolling? I rolled for the first time tonight!

Friday, 13th Sept

Weird day. Felt tired again.

Slept from 11.30pm to 4.30am, but got back to sleep at about 5am without eating anything. The next time I looked at my clock it was 10.25am!!! I never sleep that late. Really unusual for me.

The bad thing was that I still felt tired after my sleep. So, I took some Progesterone. I intended on just using the Raw Thyroid for a week or so, but I was exhausted to the point that I wouldn't have been able to leave the house today - I needed to try something. And, the progesterone worked! Pretty much immediately I pepped up a bit: only started to get really tired again at 6pm.

I didn't want to be made tired again by taking Raw Thryoid so decided to take it at night time! Just took it... Might be a mistake, but we'll see...

Exercise
                  Went swimming but didn't manage to do my usual amount: only managed 3 sprints (front crawl), and 13 breast stroke. Total: 528 metres (.328 miles).

Sups:
                  Vitex - I feel like this works better when I take it twice a day instead of all-in-one-go. Problem is that I have to mix it with OJ (it tastes disgusting) and I rarely feel like drinking OJ twice a day. First world problems!

Best time of day to take B3? I'm wondering if it might be better to take most sups at night, so they are absorbed more slowly...

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Wow - Ray Peat just emailed me!

I'm so surprised - I only wrote to him this morning. Wasn't expecting to hear back at all.

He explained the tiredness and other stuff:

Thyroid products are extremely variable, so it's important to check your temperature and pulse rate (at waking, and midday).

The half-life of thyroxine is about two weeks, so it keeps accumulating in your tissues, becoming more effective, so a dose that seems just right in five days is likely to be too much after 10 to 15 days. Then, as your adrenalin and other hormones adjust to the new energy production, the dose might have to be increased.

The basic effect of thyroid hormone (T3) is to produce cellular energy, which puts the cell into the relaxed state. Sleep is deeper with the right amount of thyroid, and hypothyroid people often have extremely high adrenalin. With thyroid, the body is able to repair itself with deep sleep, and with lower adrenalin the actual fatigue becomes noticeable.

Hypothyroid women sometimes have prolonged heavy menstruation, sometimes two cycles every month (ovaries normally ovulate on alternate months, taking turns). It's helpful to keep a chart of temperature and pulse.
                    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-13-2013, 05:04 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Whoa! Celebrity email!

I haven't started derma rolling yet cuz I haven't gotten around to reading all that stuff. I feel like I need to read about it before doing it so...

I also stopped taking Cynomel. I became really frustrated with being unable to break the tablet into equal-sized chunks so I couldn't be sure how much I was taking. Then I got sick of recording every dose (I tried recording it even though i wasn't sure of the exact dose). And then I didn't know if it was doing anything, but I was also afraid of upping the dose too much. All that stuff about how taking too much t3 at once without properly ramping up the dose can shut down your thyroid.

Then it occurred to me that I was taking different amounts everyday, and that this up and down may do me more harm than good. So I just stopped.

I'm going to start taking it again after I move to CA. When I start again, I will find a way to divide the tablet into relatively equal-sized chunks. I'll also start to record my pulse and temp. (I was doing this initially but then stopped.)

My journal

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
                        Just NOW brand niacinamide. Like Turquoise said, it dissolves in water..
                        Do you just drink the niacinamide dissolved in water? Any other uses?

Comment

That's an excellent summation Girl! Sig worthy
                          Thanks YB! I'm honored, lol

Comment

• What Peat said about hypothyroid women having heavy menstruation is interesting. Back when I had cold hands and feet, losing hair, bad sleep.. basically symptoms of hypothyroid, I stopped menstruating altogether, or would just spot lightly. Hormones were messed up enough that I wasn't ovulating despite having periods (45 day cycles).

How are you deciding which thyroid supp and the dosage?

Comment

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                              You can dissolve it in water and spray it on your skin (face). It's supposed to be great for your skin, as YB and ombat can attest.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

My journal

Comment

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                                No water soluble means your body flushes out the superfluous vitamin so you should take a time release or take small amts throughout the day.
                                ------
                                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                                X