Primal Journal: Desertcreature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some exercise goals

I thought I would wake up sore on Sunday, but I wasn't. So I went out and jog/walked for about 15 minutes.
    Did it again on Monday, and just now today (Thursday). I didn't feel very energetic today, but since I'm going jogging with the group Saturday morning, I made myself: I have to keep practicing.

I wrote out some short term and long term exercise goals for myself:
    Long term goal: enter and run the Phoenix Half Marathon in November. By then I hope to try to follow the same pace as Bill Iffrig ran in the Boston Marathon. You know him as the white haired man in the orange tanktop that fell to the ground a few yards from the finish line just as the first bomb went off. He was assisted back up and finished the race; his chip time was 4 hours, 3 minutes, 47 seconds. He is 78. Damn.
    Short term goals: First - work up to jogging/running at least 20 minutes 5x a week; next - run a 5K every 3-4 weeks; next - run a 10K in September.

I had some food/control issues Monday and Tuesday - I just wanted to eat anything late in the evenings, and we have so little in the house that doesn't require cooking... Monday's eating was still Primal, but late Tuesday night I ate my mom's leftover pancakes - and I could feel it in the morning. But Wednesday was pure Primal. Coffee with cream and MCT oil, an 8oz steak for lunch, and some macadamia nuts in the evening. Writing this out it somehow doesn't sound healthy, but I'm doing LCHF in addition to Primal, and I've recently started trying the 5:2 fasting according to Dr. Micheal Mosley. I got his book last week, and it's been interesting reading.
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Comment

Did my jog/walk this morning. 3 people had signed up but it was just the organizer and me. So we did a shortened loop and he gave me some tips as we went along. We covered 2.78 miles in 47 minutes. That's 3.54mph or a 17 minute mile. I realize that's pretty slow, but that's how it is in the beginning.
      "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Comment

back to square 1, again

Can a person have a separate hidden personality within oneself that wants nothing more than to destroy the hopes and dreams of the main body?
        I place loosing weight and getting in shape at the top of my priority list, yet some inner "self" does all it can to get me to eat sugars and starches and go to bed late (like 3am, so that I get insufficient sleep + it's too hot to exercise when I get up).
        I've been eating so many non-primal foods in the last 2-3 weeks and not doing any exercise (like I stated I was going to do above) that I've added 6 pounds to the 88 I started out to loose 2 1/2 months ago. I act like a zombie in the kitchen "Must.Eat.Bread"
        Uggg. I get so disgusted with myself - it's all I can do to keep from having the "what's the point, I'll always be fat and out of shape, why not just give up?" attitude.
        I'm tired of starting over. So why can't I stop giving up?

Comment

Yesterday - was off to a good start...
          Thinking I will do a 5:2 fast (around 500 calories)
          B: Coffee w/ cream, protein shake (a mix with 15g)
          L: Protein shake (a mix with 25g), medium Pear
          Calories so far per MFP: 406
          S: 2 handfulls of raw almonds (counted 46, however I discovered when entering into MFP that this was way too many calories. So now now I'm up to 726, might as well make it a regular day)
          D: 5 roasted chicken drumsticks (was fine with 4, ate 5th because it was there)
          Calories per MFP: 1251. This is a very reasonable total. I have had sufficient calories for my level of activity for weight loss. This should be the end of my eating cycle. But no... I am still up another 5 hours after dinner.
          Then there was the very late night carb raid: a total of 4 large Kaiser rolls I found in the freezer, toasted, with lots of cream cheese.
          Calories total now: 2267.
          Seriously?
          Okay. I'm just going to have to move on. It's not the end of the world.
          Today is a new day.
          I'm going to try another "fast day", and keep calories to 500
          Last edited by desertcreature; 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by desertcreature View Post
            it's all I can do to keep from having the "what's the point, I'll always be fat and out of shape, why not just give up?" attitude.
            I'm tired of starting over. So why can't I stop giving up?
            Please don't give up, Desertcreature! Many here struggle with much the same issues--there's support when it helps. Just please don't give up: it may take time to get where you want to go, but you WILL get there. It won't be perfect (none of us are!) but each step IS a step forward, even if it feels like it isn't. Keep getting back up after the fall... It's not starting over...it's keeping going in your OWN way.
            Keep looking for the way YOU need to do it, whether it's to decide that next time, it will only be 5 days "off primal" (instead of 6), well, that's an improvement. Each time, find what you did WELL, regardless of what you feel you didn't do the way you had planned.

Comment

Two quotes from Winston Churchill:
              "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" and “Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts”
              I confess I sometimes have that loss of enthusiasm after a failure, but I am convinced that if I fall off the wagon, I only need to stop it from rolling away and get back on.

Thank you drjoyous - I won't be giving up!
              I do notice that I stop coming to this site when I'm doing poorly. I should think of this community like AA meetings - my friends who keep going even when times are tough are the ones who are successful at staying sober. The ones who stop going after a slip, well, we know where that can end up.

Comment

I LOVE those quotes--i must write them down...
                Glad to see you're back. Keep coming back, even when you feel yourself "avoiding" the forums...they are supportive, and you'll be able simply to avoid those whose advice hits you wrong (at the moment). You will have your "up" times, but your "down" times give you empathy and compassion to reach out to others when THEY are down...

Comment

Hi I've been reading your blog and its really struck a chord. Its so good to read the real stories. I am a complete yoyo dieter and have been for years. My friend has lost about 16lb in just over a month on this eating plan and I'm so fed up as I cannot fit into any clothes in my wardrobe I have to give something else a try. This year I have joined and left Weightwatchers, started slimming world and also had a mad stint at Insanity!! but nothing really has worked properly. I've been reading a lot this evening about this way of eating and its really starting to appeal. I'm going shopping tomorrow and going to try and see if I can make it work for me. I tried Atkins years ago and it just made me really lethargic. I like the principle of this so hopefully going to stick at it. Keep it up I know how difficult it is - we've just got to try and encourage each other. Look forward to hearing how you are getting on Ps also struggling with a lot of the foods as its quite american lol - been trying to work out most of the evening where I can buy unsweetened coconut milk from!

Comment

Working...
                  X