No announcement yet.

Beauty's Journal, from the beginning!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a rant coming from nowhere-since I have not written in my (online) journal for so long... here it is:

Okay, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for by way of responses... maybe a little sympathy, maybe explanations, maybe encouragement, maybe advice? Probably perspective.

I've written elsewhere that I've got some health problems that are yet unresolved: low thyroid, digestive difficulties, weight gain, exhaustion, etc. In the past week I've had diarrhea and extreme exhaustion.

In efforts to loose some weight, I've been eating around 1700 cals a day and keeping a sharp eye on my protein staying close to 100g/day for the past month. I seem to have lost about 3 pounds. Note that I'm breastfeeding and in any moment that I am not exhausted, I try to lift weights, do yoga, anything to get the blood moving properly!

I had a couple weird spells of almost panic, anxiety, dizziness and increased heart rate today. Something is quite wrong.

I recently found a wonderful lactos-free organic edam cheese. Tonight, after noticing I was hungry, and also that fitday was showing that I had only eaten about 1400 cals, I gorged on that cheese!!! I ate at least 350 g of it in one sitting. You know what? I feel better. I feel like I can do some vacuuming. I also now ended up eating 2176 cals and 161.6 g of protein! 1,155 or more of today's calories came from that dang cheese!!!

Well, now that I've written it down for all to see, I'm realizing it's not such a big deal to go off once in a while. I just wonder if maybe I was in need of more protein generally. That's one thing I'd like to know more about is: how much more protein should a breastfeeding mommy (of a 2 yr old) need?

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow to go over test results. Here's hoping for answers! Or more tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauty View Post
      This is a rant coming from nowhere-since I have not written in my (online) journal for so long... here it is:

Okay, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for by way of responses... maybe a little sympathy, maybe explanations, maybe encouragement, maybe advice? Probably perspective.

I've written elsewhere that I've got some health problems that are yet unresolved: low thyroid, digestive difficulties, weight gain, exhaustion, etc. In the past week I've had diarrhea and extreme exhaustion.

In efforts to loose some weight, I've been eating around 1700 cals a day and keeping a sharp eye on my protein staying close to 100g/day for the past month. I seem to have lost about 3 pounds. Note that I'm breastfeeding and in any moment that I am not exhausted, I try to lift weights, do yoga, anything to get the blood moving properly!

I had a couple weird spells of almost panic, anxiety, dizziness and increased heart rate today. Something is quite wrong.

I recently found a wonderful lactos-free organic edam cheese. Tonight, after noticing I was hungry, and also that fitday was showing that I had only eaten about 1400 cals, I gorged on that cheese!!! I ate at least 350 g of it in one sitting. You know what? I feel better. I feel like I can do some vacuuming. I also now ended up eating 2176 cals and 161.6 g of protein! 1,155 or more of today's calories came from that dang cheese!!!

Well, now that I've written it down for all to see, I'm realizing it's not such a big deal to go off once in a while. I just wonder if maybe I was in need of more protein generally. That's one thing I'd like to know more about is: how much more protein should a breastfeeding mommy (of a 2 yr old) need?

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow to go over test results. Here's hoping for answers! Or more tests.
      Hi beauty, I also have a similar history (though veg for 15 years). I am also nursing a toddler (20 months) and have hypoT.

With the weird heartrate and exhaustion, it really sounds like you need to get your thyroid medicated. Have you started any hormones yet?

As far as protein and calories in general I wish I knew the answer. I am getting 1600-2300 cal/day and 65-100 gram protein. I definitely feel better at the higher protein level.

Have to run now but will be checking yr journal for updates. I have one too.
      Adding minerals wherever I can.

Comment

Thought I'd post these results here in my journal, too.

Here are the results which are out of range (reference ranges are in parentheses): 28th June 2010:

Thyroid:
        S-T3-V (FT3) 3.4 pmol/l (3.5-6.5)
        P-TSH 1.86 mU/l (0.3-4.2)
        P-T4-V 13 pmol/l (9-20)
        30/03/2010: Thyroid peroxidase antibody level POSITIVE 43Gd.00

Blood:
        B-Leuk 3.5 E9/l (3.4-8.2)*
        B-Eryt 3.9 E12/l (3.9-5.2)
        B-Hb 115 g/l (117-155)
        E-MCHC 319 (320-363)

*This has gone down from 5.5 in Aug.08. Still just in normal range, but it's interesting because it might indicate the type of anemia I have.

Lipids:
        P-Kol (I think this means total cholesterol) 6.0 mmol/l (<5)
        P-LDL lask 3.6 mmol/l (<3)
        fP-Trigly 0.4 mmol/l (0.5-2.6)

6 July 2010

S-T3-V (FT3) 3.3 pmol/l (3.5-6.5)

So, it looks like I'm hypothyroid, I have anemia, and I have high cholesterol. I'll be seeing my doctor about these results next week, but I have a few questions from the wise and informed people on this forum:

Indeed, I have antibodies to my thyroid. Anyone know what 43 Gd.00 means?!

I'm breastfeeding and I lift weights. Am I making the anemia worse? What are people's experiences with anemia?

What's up with the low triglycerides? Is it a problem??? Do they somehow balance out the high LDL?

Comment

So, I saw the (private) doctor today. He does sport's medicine but has experience with thyroid patients. He also has a PHd. He's the first doc I''ve seen who really listens and does not judge me for my weird diet and extended breastfeeding. He even did an in-office ultrasound check of my thyroid and parathyroid. He shakes my hand before and after our (2) visits. I seem to have more knowledge pertaining to my particular ailments than he does, but he admits to what he doesn't know, and so does not patronize me.

That being said, he's starting me on thyroxin tomorrow, a very low dose to begin with. The reason for this is because one must deal with a plethora of beaurocracy to get either Armour or Cytomel here in Finland, and his vacation begins tomorrow, so it won't get done until end of August. Best to try thyroxin in the meantime. Well, I've got nothing to loose, really! Also, the doc theorizes that it's possible that once my hormones have normalised, my other problems may get better too, such as the anemia and digestive difficulties. I'm just so so glad that if the thyroxin doesn't work out we can go the other route!

So, I have hope.

Dinner tonight is moose stew and chanterelles! Yay!

Comment

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. If I'm going to re-introduce dairy for good in my diet I need to be responsible!!!

The other day it was the cheese. Now, Sh*t! I drank a full litre of (raw)milk straight from the container with the fridge door open all in one go, after eating what would have been a responsible number of calories for one day. Man! That was 2,742 cals, 159 carbs today!

On top of it all, I've got a nasty headache and massive gassy bloated belly. Love to myself, and start again tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
            X