No announcement yet.

Four Months to Wedding Day!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potatoes are working their magic. I'm at 142.0 this morning, down 2.5 lbs in the past 3 days. Obviously some of that is bloat, but it feels like I'm almost doing an IF type routine. Nothing but potatoes from 6:30 p.m. to 4:30 the next afternoon, then a 2 hour eating window. Primal-compliant late afternoon snack and a supper about 6:30, then nothing for the rest of the evening. The total potato intake for the 22 hr window is about 300-400 cals. Whatever, it's working. And my appetite is dropping off after 3 days like this, as it has before.

Comment

Read through your entire journal today. Hope you see your purple-dress goal by the wedding day! You've inspired me to dust off my Concept 2 model E rower. It's been sitting against a bedroom wall, mostly ignored. I had to order a new rechargeable battery pack as mine has sat idle for too long and is no longer rechargeable . Maybe I can work on rowing my first million meters over the summer! I've had my rower since Oct. 2008 and have about 800,000 meters on it right now. Good luck to you!

Comment

End of week report. Wedding is three weeks from today. I did the potato hack for 4 days, Mon-Thurs and weight came down to 142 and has stayed rock steady x 3 days now. I tried the dress on this morning and it's looking pretty good. It lies snugly down my back with only the tiniest swelling on my upper hips. Nothing like the lumpiness that I had 14 lbs ago...

But it's the weekend again - my toughest time. I have planned hours of working on the yard and garden, helping hubby with indoor renos, then supper at a chip wagon (the coolest gourmet chip wagon ever - they have smoked duck tacos!) followed by cheering at a roller derby game. Fun evening.

Comment

Damn weekend!! Weight popped up after moderate meals at the above-mentioned chip wagon (I had the small pulled pork poutine), impulsive lunch with the after church crowd at a Chinese buffet (I was moderate, but had a few wheat containing things, lots of sodium, I'm sure), and an evening of a quarter bottle of red wine and some wee appies. Weight popped to 146 lbs in 2 days! Then Monday, the outlaws and the bride came for a visit and we ended up at our favourite sushi restaurant. I had my usual couple of pieces of a special roll and curry pumpkin soup. Weight dropped back 1.5 lbs by Tuesday.

This morning, still at 144. Once again it is taking me all week to get back to where I was at the beginning of the last weekend. I hate this...

Two and a half weeks to the wedding. I think the low 140's is where I will be for big day. Oh, well! After the wedding, I'm going to start training to walk/jog a 10k or half marathon at the end of August. Depends on how much I get trained in the 7 weeks before the race.

My sore wrist (tenosynovitis) is really sore, pretty much all the time. Precludes doing any body weight exercises or kettlebells, other than two-handed swings. I'm about ready to get my next-door neighbour MD to inject it with cortisone again. I'm getting pretty tired of this...

Comment

Have you thought about trying vlc for the last few weeks to drop the water weight?

I am doing it again and really seeing a difference. I was only eat 70-100 gm of carbs a day and I didn't think I'd see a huge difference. But I lost 5 lbs in the first week and I am maintaining my loss as well in my second week.

Tips and tricks here:
            Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
            Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Dragonfly, what did you change about your current diet? Were you using fruit and/or starchy veggies?

I'd have to think about whether I want to make the effort to get into ketosis, knowing that it's not something that I plan to maintain. And with only a bit over 2 weeks, I'd hardly get fat-adapted before the craziness of wedding week would sideswipe me back out of it...

Having said that, I think a real effort at IF with coconut oil or MCT's would be a good idea for the next week or so. If I can keep that up, I might have a chance at seeing the 130's. But the next 3 weeks holds hubby's birthday (Sat), Father's day and big all-evening BBQ with friends (Sun), my brother's birthday (the following Sat), large family picnic and potluck (also that Sat), end of church school BBQ supper (next Sunday), then the house fills up with pre-wedding houseguests and the craziness of the last week before the wedding begins.

Having typed that whole list, I feel defeated before I begin...

OK, it's pull-up-by-the-bootstraps time. I'll plan to have MCT oil in my coffee tomorrow and IF until 12:30 lunch. Then lunch, p.m. snack, supper, then IF again. If I can do that for a few days, at least until Saturday, I should see at least back to the low 140's by the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
                Dragonfly, what did you change about your current diet? Were you using fruit and/or starchy veggies?

I'd have to think about whether I want to make the effort to get into ketosis, knowing that it's not something that I plan to maintain. And with only a bit over 2 weeks, I'd hardly get fat-adapted before the craziness of wedding week would sideswipe me back out of it...

Having said that, I think a real effort at IF with coconut oil or MCT's would be a good idea for the next week or so. If I can keep that up, I might have a chance at seeing the 130's. But the next 3 weeks holds hubby's birthday (Sat), Father's day and big all-evening BBQ with friends (Sun), my brother's birthday (the following Sat), large family picnic and potluck (also that Sat), end of church school BBQ supper (next Sunday), then the house fills up with pre-wedding houseguests and the craziness of the last week before the wedding begins.

Having typed that whole list, I feel defeated before I begin...

OK, it's pull-up-by-the-bootstraps time. I'll plan to have MCT oil in my coffee tomorrow and IF until 12:30 lunch. Then lunch, p.m. snack, supper, then IF again. If I can do that for a few days, at least until Saturday, I should see at least back to the low 140's by the weekend.
                I am FODMAPS intolerant, so I don't really do fruit. I dropped the rice crackers, popcorn and occasional potatoes and cut back on sugar in my tea and dark chocolate.

Yeah, it might be a bit much to go into ketosis, but even dropping your carbs down and avoiding gluten would likely result in some water weight lost. Good luck! I don't get pulled off track by special events very easily, but I do understand the temptation!
                Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I have a good friend who has recently found out that she is FODMAPS intolerant and she is religiously strict with her dietary avoidances, but with good results, so I can see why you are not so easily pulled off track either. For me, it's more about going with the flow in social situations. I tend to avoid most blatant grains, like buns or bread, but I will eat different foods from my usual routine. Often higher in salt, seed oils, or will have something alcoholic. Wine seems bad for that. Appetizers, especially cheese, slay me.

But, yeah, I think a few days of carb tracking may be in order. I do indulge in rice crackers fairly regularly, although just a few at a time. And I like a bit of fruit. Fresh apricots are my fave at the moment.

Of course from the perspective of midweek, anything seems possible. Just like every other week. It's keeping it going between Saturday morning and Sunday evening that poses the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    Have you thought about trying vlc for the last few weeks to drop the water weight?

I am doing it again and really seeing a difference. I was only eat 70-100 gm of carbs a day and I didn't think I'd see a huge difference. But I lost 5 lbs in the first week and I am maintaining my loss as well in my second week.

Tips and tricks here:
                    Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
                    Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
                    Thanks for the links.

Comment

Well, I did the IF until 12:30 with just coffee early and at mid a.m. Then leftover meatballs in pasta sauce (about 6 oz), raw veggies and a diet yogurt serving. And then tea about 3, but nothing else until I got home after 6 p.m. Amazing to me that I can go that long on such a small lunch.

I got home to find hubby just starting his workout on the rower, so supper is delayed yet another hour. I ate some cheese and a few veggie bits as I prepared our dinner, now I sit and wait. I feel a bit out of sorts, but nothing like I would have been experiencing on my previous higher-carb diet.

Carb manager app on my phone says 28 g net carbs today, including the small square of Iranian flatbread that I'm using to build mini-pizzas (so shoot me - it's wheat, but the thinnest thing I had and I came home tired and hungry). But still only 28 g net carbs! and 850 cals.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

And it worked! The last 2 lbs of bloat vanished overnight. I'm back at 142, where I was last Friday. No further, but at least I"m back. And the weekend looms again...

I took the dress and visited a private ladies wear store to sample the dreaded "foundation undergarments". It wasn't so bad, and they do a nice job of smoothing out the last few bumps under the dress. Damned expensive, though!! Holy cow! But I'm looking pretty good in the little purple dress. I'll post pics after the wedding.

Two weeks from tomorrow!

Comment

Another good day of IF. My appetite is way down. I had nothing but a couple of cups of black coffee all morning. At lunch, I ended up staying in the resident dining room until almost 1 p.m., half an hour past my usual lunch time. But I was fine, then ate my BAS with a whole avocado and a can of tuna added. And tea. Then nothing until almost 6:30, at which point I had a latte from a coffee shop, knowing that supper would be way late, after 8 p.m. Made it through soccer practice (I coach, not play) and took home a tray of sushi for supper. By 8 p.m. and after the latte, I could almost have skipped supper. So I ate about 6-8 pieces and called it quits. I'm just fine now, totally sated.

My younger son is home overnight and wants to go to the market for breakfast tomorrow. A special treat. But I think I will have coffee only and continue the IF for one more day. Tomorrow is hubby's birthday and I'm getting steaks for the barbecue and grilled asparagus, plus a pie for the birthday treat! All from the local farmer's market.

Comment

141.5 this morning. And I'm determined to not lose control today. Despite the birthday and it being Saturday.

Found shoes for my wedding outfit yesterday. Now just need to decide about the necklace...

Comment

Woohoo! Rockin' it!

Comment

Working...
                                X