Wise Woman's Ways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wise Woman's Ways

I am a former vegan, but on my doctor's advice began adding animal protein back into my diet. I decided to eat paleo/primal a couple of weeks ago and have been re-inventing my kitchen, throwing out stuff I don't need on this way of eating, like beans, rice and potatoes.

I wanted to blog about my progress, but as soon as some of my vegan friends found out I had switched to this way of eating all heck broke loose and I was criticized, mocked and generally made to feel like poop. I got discouraged and took my blog down. It's hard enough going primal at my age after a lifetime of wrong eating (which contributed to my bad health) without getting a lot of flak. But then I decided to just keep doing what I am doing. My health is more important than what anyone else thinks of me
    Last edited by grokgramma; 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM.

Yes it is. Put your blog back up and tell those so called friends to bite you. You are doing what is best for you. If they can't understand that then they are connected more to their own ideals than friendship. Don't give up!

Originally posted by grokgramma View Post
    I am a former vegan, but on my doctor's advice began adding animal protein back into my diet. I decided to eat paleo/primal a couple of weeks ago and have been re-inventing my kitchen, throwing out stuff I don't need on this way of eating, like beans, rice and potatoes.

I wanted to blog about my progress, but as soon as some of my vegan friends found out I had switched to this way of eating all heck broke loose and I was criticized, mocked and generally made to feel like poop. I took my blog down and got discouraged. It's hard enough going primal at my age after a lifetime of wrong eating (which contributed to my bad health) without getting a lot of flak. But then I decided to just keep doing what I am doing. My health is more important than what anyone else thinks of me
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

By all means share your progress here instead

Welcome.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

welcome Grok Gramma. I have also struggled with others views, and then I told myself - this is MY LIFE. It is interesting because now some of my nay sayers are coming back to tell me that they have finally tried no grains for a week or two, and felt really unwell reintroducing it - so yay for me !!!!!!!!!!
        keep at it and enjoy the journey
        G
        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Welcome. I hope you feel free to blog your thoughts, progress, and questions here often. It is always interesting to follow the stories of people who come here to restore their health. That's what brought me here, and I've never looked back
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I'm keeping my Primal habits more or less on the DL. If I want burgers and veggies for dinner instead of pasta, there's nothing more to it than my tastes changing. Of course if someone shoves a slice of homemade apple pie in my face I take a careful, moderated amount so that I'm not rude, but I precede it with fat and follow it with light exercise to moderate insulin, if possible. It's MY life. I pick my battles.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the encouragment. I think you are right CradlingaLion, there's no need for me to announce it, although my vegan friends don't seem to mind pushing their views down everyone else's throats. I guess I did that too, but from now on I will keep the way I eat to myself except to post on here.

Comment

That's because vegans are religious about their diets and need to proselytize.

Grokettes' (ya like that?) actions/health speaks louder than our words.

Comment

I began eliminating crappy foods and adding meat back into my diet 2 weeks ago (I am a former vegan). The change was almost immediate. It's like my body was craving animal protein and I didn't know it. My leg pains disappeared almost overnight and I have been sleeping better at night. Also my indigestion has cleared up. I have also lost 6 lbs.

Comment

Hey that's fantastic. So pleased you found this way of eating.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

You can also explain to others who notice your dietary changes that you have found certain foods are causing you pain and how eating this way helps so much. People don't question me much anymore as they know I'm nuts

Welcome!

Comment

I have been on a primal diet for about 3 weeks now. I have been sleeping better than I had in 10 years. I also lost 8 lbs. I decided to do a little experiment a couple of days ago. I added grains back for just 2 days. Both nights I tossed and turned all night and woke up early. I also gained 2 lbs. That's about all the experimenting I'm going to do. It's obvious that eating more meat was helping me sleep better, not to mention losing the grains helped me lose weight and adding them back made me gained weight. I am amazed at how fast the change was. I googled meat and sleep and found out that meat and even dairy have something called tryptophan and it helps produce serotonin which helps people sleep better. I had always thought that the reason people got sleepy after a big Thanksgiving meal was because of the stuffing, but I found out it was because of the tryptophan in the turkey! I am learning something new everyday while eating paleo/primal.

Comment

Working...
                        X