Going Primal in College

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Primal in College

So I've been Primal for about a week now, but decided to start this journal to hold myself accountable for keeping on track (especially since I just cheated and ate an entire pizza---but I put grilled chicken on it---still feeling a little bloated now). Anyway, a little about my first week:
    I just started college and decided to go primal after I realized how out of shape I was. The exercise regimen fits in well with my busy college schedule, but the food is a little more difficult to procure. I started out the first week great by cutting out all junk food/sugars and grains. I had the carb flu for the first few days pretty bad and could barely stay up to do my homework. My meal plan allows me to have about two meals a day in the cafeteria. I have yogurt and fruit for breakfast and I usually grab a salad for lunch/dinner.

Food today:
    B-Woke up 30 min. before my 8 am class that takes me 15 min to walk to (not a great feeling), so no time for breakfast.
    L-Salad with carrots, grilled chicken breasts, and oranges. small yogurt. apple.
    D-My roomates talked me into ordering pizza. 1 entire small pizza hut pizza with grilled chicken on top.

So I went to the store after my class in the morning and bought bananas, blueberries, carrots, and some fresh cut roast beef with full muscle/fat. Yum, but kinda expensive. I hope this lasts me a while.

Workout Today: Move at a slow pace.
    Lets see, walked to my fifteen minute class both ways with detour to the store +10 min.
    Had to walk there and back for another class in the same building.
    20+ bench squats, 10 push ups

See you guys/gals tomorrow!

Oh and stats:
    Female, 18 years, 5'11, 160 lbs. Goal weight 140 lbs.

We can change our lives. We can do, have, and be exactly what we wish.
    Tony Robbins

So this morning I got myself up and went to work out. It was about 20 degrees outside so I decided on the gym for my Lift Heavy Things Workout and then ran a mile to top it off. I love the feeling of empowerment that I get after working out! I'm going to eat a brunch in my room today with all the fresh yummy things that I bought yesterday. Tomorrow morning I have the 5K that I've been training for since January, but it's supposed to start snowing tonight and not let up till Sunday night. I'm definitely going to go, but I still have to figure out what I'm going to wear. Wish me luck!!

Comment

I've just been snacking on blueberries, roast beef, and carrots for most of the day. Yum!! I'm headed to dinner soon, then after I finish my lab report for class, I'm off to bed to get tons of rest for my race tomorrow. It's still snowing outside and there is and estimated accumulation of 2-4 inches overnight. Hopefully it won't be too cold tomorrow, but I'm so excited to see if my training efforts have paid off. Night Everyone!

Comment

Good luck tomorrow there's nothing more fun than running in snow.

Comment

The 5K was awesome!! I ran in just over thirty one minutes and took third place in my age group! I came back just in time for my dorm Sunday brunch and had lots of yummy fruits and veggies and yogurt which I will supplement with my supply of roast beef in my room. I'm so excited!

Comment

Super yummy dinner tonight!
            Salad with oranges and carrots.
            Yogurt with strawberries.
            Fish fillet.
            That was about six hours ago and I've been studying ever since for two tests tomorrow and finalizing my lab report. My roomate and I have agreed to work hard for about one more hour and then we are headed to our favorite diner for a midnight study snack at which I will probably have some kind of grain. Ugh I love carbs so much. I wish I had more sleeping time and was able to reduce my stress levels like going primal recommends, but that kinda conflicts with the college lifestyle.
            Quote of the day:
            I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
            Muhammad Ali

Comment

I went to Ihop at about 2 am yesterday. My roomate and I really wanted pancakes so we hiked over the freeway since neither of us have cars. We probably looked like a couple of hobos and it was snowing again. Had some delicious pancakes though. Today for breakfast, I had strawberries in yogurt and some hardboiled egg whites. I haven't had a chance to eat lunch yet and probably won't since I have class agin in half an hour. I guess I can just wait to get some salad for dinner. Finally, I have a semi-gross kinda random question. Are any of you who have gone primal pooping alot?

See you guys tomorrow with a weight update!!

You won't fail if you're not perfect, you'll fail if you're not committed to improving yourself slightly each day.

Comment

mmm so for lunch I had to snag a hot dog from a vender guy outside my building. It was pretty good, but probably pretty unprimal. I walked about 2 miles to the post office today and sprints are all set up for tomorrow.

New stats: 158.8 lbs goal 140 lbs

Comment

The primal lifestyle should drastically change the way you feel and look. try to cut your bad meals down to once or maybe twice a montha nd you will see much more rapid weight loss
                  SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 291 LW 254 GW 220

Comment

Kudos to starting your Primal life while in college! I bet if I would've done what you're doing, I wouldn't have ballooned up so badly!
                    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Man I've been so busy! Every night since Sunday has been a super study/homework night. The good thing about eating primal is that I feel like I've had so much more energy. If I would have started this while I was on a carb/sugar diet, I would have been exhausted. But after five tests in four days, I'm ready for an awesome night of sleep tonight! I'm going to have to skip dinner in the cafeteria tonight because they are having a huge spread of valentines dessert tonight. They're even having my favorite, red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! Oh well, I don't need it. I having alot of trouble keeping grains out of my diet completely. Does anyone want to share their experience with this or do you have anything that you do when you see something you want to eat but can't? Thanks!!

Comment

Wow, I haven't had time to update in forever. I'm getting better at cutting grains and haven't had any for about a week now. I went snowboarding last Saturday and ended up spending most of my day in the medical center helping my friend who broke his collarbone. Ugh. I had a few pieces of chocolate on Valentines day, but I'm letting that be my 20% for a while since it was a special occasion. I lost another two pounds and am down to 156 lbs. My goal is still 140 lbs so I'm slowly working my way towards that. I counted up my hours of sleep last week and realized that I had so many tests and so much homework, I only got 22 hours of sleep. So, now that my stress attack over I will hopefully get much more rest. Coupled with the carb flu, last week was hell. I'm looking forward to this week and have a calc test on Thursday and a Organic Chem test on Moday. Talk to you guys later.

Comment

My calculus test wnet great today and this weekend I have a date with my Organic Chemistry book. This is the dangerous part of my diet becuase I LOVE to eat while I study. I'll have to leave my wallet and meal swipe card in the dorm and go find somewhere quiet to study. My goal for this next week is to keep away from those carbs and hopefully lose about 5 more pounds. I told myself that if I got to 150 by the end of the month, I could have a meal at my favorite restaurant with my friend. She knows about my diet and always asks me about my progress and since she is excited to go out to, I'm motivated to lose this weight. It's probably not good to reward my diet with food, but I feel like Genghis Grill could be pretty primal with all of the veggies and proteins if I limit the carbs in the bowl. (and it will feed me for two meals since I can't eat it all in one sitting) I just started IF and am skipping breakfast because the only foods available are omlets, yogurt, some fruit, and a buttload of carbs. So, I avoid temptation and I don't waste my limited meal swipes on a not so enjoyable meal. Then I either eat a full lunch or dinner depending on my schedule for the day and the other is just a light meal. I'm enjoying it so far. Bye!

Comment

It's Saturday night, and I'm already feeling the stress. I have a huge huge Organic Chemistry Test on Monday at 8 am that I have been studying for non-stop. AHHH! This test counts for about 50% of my grade and to my dismay I ate a bagel with peanut butter on it this morning as a comfort food. I am trying to remain actively conscious of what I put in my mouth. However I had an awesome workout that just made me feel great afterwards. I walked on an uphill incline in the gym for about fourty minutes, coupled it with some sprints, and then finished off with weights. I love that"runners" high that you get after working out. Yay endorphins. I'm working with IF this weekend and am liking it so far. I've found that every time I set foot in the cafeteria, I eat more or different from what I intended to. Does anyone have any advice on how to regulate this or stick to the no carbs diet. So far I've put a giant blue dot on the back of my right hand that reminds me of going primal everytime I reach for a piece of food.
                            Stats: 153 lbs
                            Goal: 140 lbs

Comment

Can you keep things like raw macadamias or cashews with you? Boiled eggs? Anything that is primal that you would reach for first, so you have no excuse to buy anything?
                              You don't need to be no carb You can have things like sweet potato, and lots of other veg.

Comment

Working...
                              X